{'en': 'Parents of children with diabetes', 'es': 'Padres de niños con diabetes'} Image

Parents of children with diabetes

Velia's profile photo   04/28/2008 5:35 a.m.

Hello everyone, the first summer problems have been overcome, our first summer with bomb was very bad, but this is all improving a lot.
We are trying to disconnect a little ... after all, although I am working on vacation.
I do not have many news, however the treatment that Helora de Insuflon and Lantus for a child of mine age has caught my attention, it seems that he has a good hemo and it is to congratulate ... I do not know if it is an alternativeTo the bomb and much less its effectiveand make an assessment.
I know that in this forum we are general supporters of the bombs, but I think that we must be open to alternatives, without forgetting what I believe our goal, improve the control of the disease and if possible, the quality of life of the diabetic.

antonio bonillo's profile photo
antonio bonillo
07/14/2012 11:59 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Well, September is just around the corner ... how is the child going?Does heat affect you a lot?
Antonio, I am glad that this year I do better with the bomb and summer.

Kisses

Velia's profile photo
Velia
07/15/2012 8:29 a.m.

De los buenos tiempos, siempre quiero más...
Mamá de Ángela, ¡16 añitos, fiera!. Debut: octubre de 2003.
Bomba insulina Medtronic Paradigm Veo desde junio 2005
Última hemo 6.1

Well, I don't know if it affects him or not ... I would say more unstable, but I don't think it has to do with heat.
If September is next to see if it adapts.
The pipis endures them ... Ah the uncle does not ask for one ... how do you calculate the time ... ohi he puts it ... desperately has me
Antonio qu ebien qu evayais better this year ... it's a tranquility

I let you disassemble the house
to take care of the kids

Van's profile photo
Van
07/17/2012 7:25 a.m.

<BLOCKQUOTE ANTONIO = "" BONILLO "" = "" REL = "
We are trying to disconnect a little ... after all, although I am working on vacation.
I do not have many news, however the treatment that Helora de Insuflon and Lantus for a child of mine age has caught my attention, it seems that he has a good hemo and it is to congratulate ... I do not know if it is an alternativeTo the bomb and much less its effectiveand make an assessment.
I know that in this forum we are general supporters of the bombs, but I think that we must be open to alternatives, without forgetting what I create our goal, improve the control of the disease and if possible, the quality of life of the diabetic.</blockquote>

Antonio, I tell you what our routine is like and I tell you all the doubts you have.

The child is 3 years old (goes for 4), weighs 17.5 kg.(Approx.) He debuted with 27 months and we have been from that moment until 3 months ago with NPH and Humalog for breakfast, food and dinner.We have always left them acceptable, over 7 (good according to their endocrine for the age and type of insulin he carried).But still in this last review this new treatment suggested, with Lantus, Humalog and Insuflon and although he gave us to choose, we decided to try.(He did not convince her before to change insulin because we were "good" and supposed to go from 3 to 5 punctures with syringe per day)
So in April we started, the Lantus is put in the morning (this is not in the insuffion) and then the 4 punctures of Humalog takes them in the insuffion.
We bought the insuffion in the Diabetic Association and thus instead of 32 euros, we pay 25. In a box they come and we change it every 4 days.We put it in the culete, it is very simple, introduce the needle, remove it and paste the dressing to fix it.Nothing bothers anything and the only inconvenience I see is that a bad time is the day we put it, now not because a couple of horites before we give it with the emla cream (we call it the magical ointment) and practically feels nothing.Once placed, it is simply to put the insulin with him and if at midnight he is high and you have to put 0.5 more insulin unit, we put it on and do not wake up.
This next week we are going to review, I think the Hemo will have lowered a little more and also the hypoglycemia.

helora's profile photo
helora
07/17/2012 8:13 a.m.

Thanks Helora, for telling us your experience.We are very made to the pump, if for whatever we had to do without it, it would be a drama, although the insufflon is very good to avoid punctures, it does not have the flexibility of insulin administration that the bomb has, I use bolus dual(Bolus square+normal bolus) In practically all meals, square bolus daily, my son is very bad to eat, the fact that the insulin afternoon 30 minutes (or what you program) in passing gives us an advantage to stop stoppingInsulin if it is obceced in not eating anymore.But it seems great to have arrived in Spain, it has an affordable price, and really if you do not use the pump to full performance, it seems to me a good option not to carry a pot hanging.

mornita's profile photo
mornita
07/19/2012 9:22 a.m.

We are at the moment comfortable with this invention for the reduction of punctures that it supposes.
Of rations has
3 at breakfast
1 mid -morning
4 In food
2 In the snack
3 at dinner

And we have been with them for a year and a half, he is not hungry and putting him more would be to fight with him to finish them.We have only changed the snack 3 months ago, which seemed little to me.The days that is evil or scrambled and has no appetite what we do is put insulin when it is over, but in normal circumstances, always before meals.

helora's profile photo
helora
07/20/2012 7:50 a.m.

We put insulin according to the rations that I eat, I put the amount that he intends to eat (then he does what he wants: Evil :) So one day they can be 6 rations and another 2.That strict regime of portions, I think it is very importantbalanced diet.Then once you have already incorporated all that knowledge into your routine, it can be more flexible, and eat "normal", at least it has been in our case.

mornita's profile photo
mornita
07/20/2012 9:04 a.m.

Yes, Mornita, we normally and from Diario we take it to ratajatabla.The fate is that the child eats very well and the rations that he has scheduled without being "fighting."But if we ever go to the bourgeois or eat at least because it is bad, then we calculate by eye.

What I miss are missing dairy desserts (custard, danoninos or so) that are made with sugar.In fact, I am very surprised that Danone has nothing like that style.

helora's profile photo
helora
07/20/2012 9:20 a.m.

Helora, I have not understood the custard well, you mean that you don't give the child why they are sugar?Go ahead that I am not very supportive of custard, Petis (danonino) or guarradillas of that style :)) But children are children, every day would neither be convenient nor healthy to take, but for example the weekend as dessertI do not see because you cannot take it, look in the nutritional information how many rations you have and you put the insulin according to.Look at my son, for example, he likes vanilla flan, 24 g of hydrates, 2 and a half rations x 0.7u (in the case of my son) = 1.75u, corresponding Bolus, and to Zampar the flan.Another option is to make the custard or desserts in general, you can use sweeteners or 50/50, and I assure you that from the nutritional point of view much healthier than purchased.
It is very important to learn to handle insulin, because before diabetics they are children, too much rigidity can be counterproductive, I try to do the same as a child without diabetes, I prohibit certain foods but I emphasize that it is for health, that although it was notDiabetic would not let him eat industrial pastries, for example.But if we go to a birthday and there are sweets there Morao, three chuches = 1 ration, then nothing to add: mrgreen :.

mornita's profile photo
mornita
07/20/2012 1:42 p.m.

Thank you very much, Helora and Mornita.
I find your treatment very interesting, Helora and especially the fact that it works for you.The inconvenience that I see the bomb, is that, that it is a device and it is a little speaking, for a little boy, the aesthetic is not so important, but the children grow and the truth, it seems to me that you are using a treatmentInteresting and that is giving you good results, congratulations !!!!!.
In my specific case, it happens to me like Mornita ... My child eats fourth, weighs around 13 kilos and in August it meets the three years, it is not the same case as Helora, the bomb gives us great flexibility as Mornita says andA great advantage for me is when I put very small amounts, right now we just put a correction of 0.10 units, which is impossible without bomb.My child is quite uncontrolled and we have two bad days ... gastroenteritis .... It is not necessary to say how bad it passes, the little boy to 56, returning, without eating and the insulin put ... that did not go back, to theFinal, neither glucosport nor anything, my wife gave water with sugar and lemon and running for the hospital .... today ketonic bodies, 3,3, but we are fed up with hospitals ... then treatment at home .... will beA nonsense but we already started to be nurses, now it has ketone bodies of 0.6 and we are more happy ... well, the daily struggle, the good ... on Monday sumon and the child for the beach, that enjoy a little, I work but I can go with the family, I go with those you are on vacation !!!!
Greetings to Velia that I imagine that it is on vacation and that it has helped us so much.They go, I want to know how you are doing with the bomb, this summer we are going much better, the very hard faith.

antonio bonillo
07/21/2012 4:10 p.m.

Mornita, I mean that the big brands do not make desserts that carry edulcorant instead of sugar.Thus I have only found the landowners and jelly custard (but they don't like them) ... the good thing is that the yogurts who like the most are the natives, do not even ask for those of flavors, but occasionallyIf I would like to make (or have available) any things of those

I do not calculate the equivalent in insulin to the rations as I see that you do.But it is more or less fixed (except if it is too high or so =) but for example.We have margin, if the child is with 120 and we have to eat, we put 1 of Humalog and give him the food (4 portions) and if he is with two hundred and peak then we calculate 1, 5. for dinner and in the snack,We almost always put 0.5 if it is in less 200 and even a little more at dinner and we also put that average, which is almost always going down to midnight and the day that does not and is more than 250 we put it0.5, but with an extractic indication that only if it is above that measure.

Antonio, they told us that if he vomited, what better than water with sugar or glucosport, let's die sugar directly with a spoon, that there is less risk that he will vomit again.The last episode we had very similar to the one that accounts was at the end of March this year.When we arrive at the hospital, what they do is put serum and control it for a few hours until they see that the food tolerates.Mine is going to do 4 years next month and is diabetic since the age of 27, has been 15 months with Humalog and NPH and for 3 with Lantus and Humalog and much better, less peaks and less hypoglycemia, which before the same thing youYou found one thing like another and the nights much more unstable and some substitute for nocturnal hypoglycemmia fucked almost by chance, that you begin to think about what can happen and what is badThey lowered very quickly.
The truth is that for now we get it quite "well", the ease because you already know what this is and next month we are going to review, I tell you how it has gone because it will be the first with the change of insulin.He eats well and also always realizes when he is short and comes to ask us for food (maybe a nonsense, macaroni at 11 in the morning, but it is the sign that he has a hypo) and this year that began inThe school has also been very satisfying, the very pending and charming teacher and he let himself be measured and also warned it before the time arrived if he was already short.
And the breathlon has already meant another step, he is totally relaxed, because before it was to see us with the syringe and already put very donkey and tense (normal) and even has the ease that (although I have only put into practice with mymother -in -law) Someone can put the necessary measure because it leaves perfectly and it is not necessary for that person to know how to inject into the skin.
In the culete he barely marks, when we take it off to change it, I give him a little crystallmin and in a few days he is removed the "point" of the Marquita.And now as we put it with Emla and we endure 4 days, instead of the initial 3, even better.At the moment we do not vary the area, they have told us that only culete, the truth is that it does not have much chicha elsewhere and the legs have them very hard.Now weigh about 17 kgs.and measures about 105.

We have not "offered or suggested" the bomb at any time, what I know about it is what I read you and in a book that I bought shortly after debuting and that serves as a consultation from time to time in time.Honestly, I do not have a very clear idea, I see many advantages on the one hand but I am not sure that in my case I would be somewhat advantageous, I suppose that this is also partly becauseIgnorance, because when I read I only see good things written in their favor ... and also influence that I have no one near anyone who has it and to be able to compare it.Let's see if not within much we see a pump that also serves as a continuous meter (and effective as a glucometer) and a minimum size that works by Bluetooth, which you can have the screw in the jacket, in the bag or in your pocketof the pants ... to dream won't it.

helora's profile photo
helora
07/22/2012 5:28 p.m.

I come from the review and very happy.The little one 4 years ago at the end of the month, weight and height is great and the Hemo has dropped from 7 to 6.7.I am happyzzzzz

helora's profile photo
helora
08/09/2012 7:22 a.m.

hello
Helora congratulations on the hemo !!
Antonio La Bomba until September 20 will not know anything.On Thursday we return to Barcelona and thanks for sharing the insufflon ... I had no idea that there was something like that ... and I will ask ... because clicking my little one is a struggle to have it to suggest alone blocking it and fatal... sometimes moving so twice the needle!I have it fatal ... so thanks for the information, it seems like a good solution until I get to the bomb ... and see if it is customary!
The hypos I see which or less do all the same, the if it is at night ask for platanum !!And during the day it is more difficult, if he is playing he says nothing, if he is more boring then he asks to eat !!
And I do give him custard, and they are two rations and so I tell them ... since I debut every time he eats worse, in November he will make three years and weighs 11kg !!on top we are looking at the growth hormone .... Jolines !!
Anyway, thanks for the information
Conduct of the kids !!

Van's profile photo
Van
08/14/2012 5:39 p.m.

Good, I'm back ... What a summer this ... glycemic we've been fine, until this week, disastrous glycemia and with an eye on the endo, which touches us on 31 ... Anyway.
Van, Angela grew up very small, always in the 10th percentile, I don't even tell you how she stayed when she debuted, 15 kg for 5 years, it seemed the spirit of the counter, but once she stabilized she began to improve a lot, and nowShe is a woman that you don't see ... don't overwhelm much with growth.Let's see if they tell you about the bomb and at least calmize ...
The insuffins that is an invention, Helora ... Of course I would not have a bomb I would also use it.
Antonio, how is that summer? ... The catheters behaved ...

Kisses and good day.

Velia's profile photo
Velia
08/23/2012 1:27 p.m.

Última hemo 6.1

Good, we still have a week of sun, beach and .... sand ... yes and of course of catteers changes, more than usual, but they have behaved acceptable, they have failed but an acceptable summer, a lotBetter than the first with a bomb that was a nightmare, up and down ...
They go, do not become obsessed with the percentiles, mine is short, around the 5 and 10 percentileHe fights with food and diabetes ... that he does not eat, as comfort for you, mine weighs 13.2 kg and has just done 3 years, ... that we are doing, it is also true that when whenThe debut also lost ... to fight, that so we are brave fathers and mothers ... and we have no choice.
Velia, I'm glad to see that Angela is better, a week does not influence so much ...
Tell you that my child is going to start school ... well, you know, a real challenge, we will cross your fingers and that everything goes well, we have prepared a couple of folios with the main ideas for the teacher, we do not want to scare her, then thenWe have tried to be the basic and in case of emergency ... the rest ... call the parents.
I'm glad readers and really, we are a little better, the heme of 8.4 and 8.2.I think this is a little more stable ... I hope it stabilizes a little because this is a continuous fight and sometimes the forces flour ... My wife will also start working in September ... then everything more difficult ...school and work .... I'll tell you.They go, do not get obsessed with the percentiles ... do what you can ... but each one is as he is, comfort ... I am soft and I am married to a wonderful and very pretty woman (this has not read it, thenI think about heart).
Greetings to all.

antonio bonillo
08/26/2012 2:47 p.m.

Good morning!!!!
Antonio, at this point you will have finished vacation ... well, now the routine, which is appreciated in our situation, is not? ... surely the little one adapts great to school, at first you will have to be more pending, like meI say, to the pending day of the mobile, but if the teachers have interest, everything is easier, to see if you are lucky.
We pass the ITV on Friday and the truth is we are happy, the hem is improved and we are in it, it has risen to 7.3, and the annual analytical all normal, so, happy ... and also waiting for the beginning of the course, although I mustRecognize that with the age that Angela has no longer worries me, much less in the same way ... so encourage all who have young children, time always plays in our favor ...

Kisses and good day to all.

Velia's profile photo
Velia
09/03/2012 7:10 a.m.

Última hemo 6.1

Hello daddies !!
Well, I didn't tell you before because we also went on vacation, but on the 16th they told us that we already had the accepted bomb and on October 1 there we are going to train and put it on !!
At the beginning Dario said that he did not want but based on going seventeen that I would not prick him then, now he says that if he wants a bomb like mine ... see how he adapts !!
And mine also begins with school, for the moment or the dining room, for that I have liked the leave ... and tomorrow meet the tutor ... and the association here is responsible for making the formation to the teachers, a whole lucky!!
Also the Cole's tei, her mother is diabetic, so at least she knows what the subject is going ...
Velia is glad to know that over time things change, so I hope, I have already said that if something happens in school, I take it out until you know how to ask for help, that this year with the cuts they go up to 27 children per class !!
Anyway, it's what ehay,
Antonio encourage with the beginning of school and your wife's work, that beautiful woman who has given you to your bomboncin !!
Kisses to all superpapis and mamis

Van's profile photo
Van
09/03/2012 5:44 p.m.

I'm glad a lot, van !!!!!!Congratulations !!!!!The truth, the bomb is doing very well, has its inconveniences but the advantages are very large and you already have experience to help your little one.
The school, we are going to delay it, has been afraid and we are going to pull the help of grandparents, we think that a little more time to have more maturity the little one.
Van, my wife is caught 9 months (thanks to a good doctor) and leaves almost a year, now there has been reduction of working hours, we had no more alternative or lost destiny .... say what they say, it is almostImpossible to work and take care of the little one at the beginning, this is a lot like a roller coaster, not stop and the truth, there are many controls that the doctors tell us otherwise, it is impossible to control (at least mine) their diabetes without much controlAnd a great dedication, I think you understand me.
Greetings to all .... Owash ... if you find out about something about the new meter (c8 medisensor) somewhat something on the news page, which is always pleasant of everything you inform us !!!
Velia, in the end, the school will have to wait a little more ...

antonio bonillo
09/04/2012 3:13 p.m.

They go, you already have very little for the pump, you will see that you will make you more bearable the diabetes of the little one.
Oh! The return to school, the nightmare of every year, we after much struggle got our child, I hope that this year remains the same, tomorrow I have a meeting.Antonio, your baby is very small, look at the positive early morning that is saved, you can always sign up for some activity and so with other children.
Jo! It gives me a rage to read everything we sacrifice on a personal, work and economic level, and after no one understands.Ultimately I carry a gust of stupid comments, misunderstanding by people, what frustration!I suppose it also affects the return to school, most parents want their children to return to school, I none, again to be continuously pending the phone, again the hurry, the morning beans, at least Velia meReassure when everything gets older will go better.

mornita's profile photo
mornita
09/05/2012 4:41 p.m.

Hello good!!!!!
Vanh, congratulations ... there is nothing left ... you will see how it adapts great, to the pump and school.: D
Antonio, if you are lucky to be able to have the grandparents take advantage of ... next year you will be more prepared.
Mornita, again to the mess, huh? ... I'm glad to read you.

Kisses and good day.

Velia's profile photo
Velia
09/06/2012 6:34 a.m.

Última hemo 6.1

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.