{'en': 'A new drug could cure type 1 diabetes', 'es': 'Un nuevo fármaco podría curar la diabetes tipo 1'} Image

A new drug could cure type 1 diabetes

fer's profile photo   12/02/2016 6:51 p.m.

A medication commonly used to treat malaria has also proven to be effective in the treatment of diabetes, especially type 1, which usually emerges in childhood and whose origin remains unknown.

Artemisinine could be used to replace the destroyed beta cells of the diabetic pancreas and replace them with new insulin producing cells.

Type 1 diabetes mellitus (DM1) has no cure.In Spain, more than 500,000 people live with this condition, which prevents them from correctly metabolizing sugar.Almost 10 percent of them are children under 15.The figures are increasing: 1,500 new cases are diagnosed every year.

For all of them, the news published yesterday by the CEMM Center (Center for Molecular Medicine) in Vienna is a bombing.And it is that a drug commonly used to treat malaria has also proven to be effective in the treatment of diabetes.Especially of type 1 diabetes, which usually emerges in childhood and whose origin remains unknown.

The medication in question is artemisinin and it seems that it could be used to replace the destroyed beta cells of the diabetic pancreas and replace them with new insulin producing cells.

Type 1 diabetes consists of the partial or total loss of pancreatic beta cells that secrete insulin.In a normal pancreas, these cell acts according to the needs of the organism producing the insulin necessary to metabolize sugars.Every time we eat a source of carbohydrates, they become sugar.Insulin is the key that allows this sugar (vital for body functioning) to become a nutritious metabolite.Without insulin, sugar is not metabolized and accumulates in the blood.

To avoid serious damage that excess blood sugar can generate, type 1 diabetic patients need an artificial insulin supply injected or applied by infusion devices throughout life.There is no known way to recover the function of lost beta cells.

A team of Austrian CEMM researchers, led by Stefan Kubicek, has been looking for years in the vast catalog of available drugs, some that could favor the increase in insulin producing cells.Yesterday they announced that artemisinine can be one of them.How does it work?Beta cells of the pancreas (insulin producers) are one of the cellular typologies that grow within the so -called Langerhans islets that exist in that organ.Other sister cells are alpha, which have the opposite function: if the former produce insulin to reduce blood sugar, the latter increase it producing a substance called glucagon.But both cell typologies are flexible.It is known that alpha cells, sometimes extreme beta cell deficit, also become insulin producers.There is an epigenetic factor called Arx that is responsible for regulating the conversion of a cell in its opposite, a kind of boss who decides what mission he entails each one.

The process seems to be like this: when Arx works, each cell does its job.When blocked, alpha begin to change jobs and also manufacture insulin.

After isolating different cell lines of both types in laboratory, Vienna scientists applied all their drug catalog to discover that artemisimine seems to cause the same effect as when the ARX factor is blocked.Apparently, the medicine sticks to a protein called Gefrina, which activates some cell control centers.As a consequence of a waterfall of chemical reactions that ends up causing alpha cells to secrete insulin instead of glucagon.The discoverers have tried the medicine in zebra fish, mice and rats and have found that they increase insulin production and improve blood sugar levels.At the moment it is not possible to venture what happened to human beings and how long this effect lasts.But researchers believe having opened an unexpected door to a new healing strategy of diabetes.

fer's profile photo
fer
12/02/2016 6:51 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Interesting = D>

pochola's profile photo
pochola
12/02/2016 7:28 p.m.

DM1 desde 2011 8 puntos Lantus. Todo esfuerzo traerá su recompensa ♥ Hemo 5.7

Hopefully!

kerensammolina's profile photo
kerensammolina
12/02/2016 8:43 p.m.

Diabetes Mellitus Tipo 1
Debut a los 19 años
Tresiba y Humalog

I hope they are right and we can see it

belefe74's profile photo
belefe74
12/03/2016 12:29 a.m.

Diagnosticada en 1997
Siempre intentando mejorar.

In the news he says that they get alpha cells also segregate insulin, instead in ABC they say that alpha cells completely transforms into beta, so the body of a diabetic in principle would attack them.

Link insulina-y-podria-cura-diabetes-201-201612011901_noticia.html

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
12/03/2016 2:41 a.m.

En 1922 descubrieron la insulina, en 1930 la insulina lenta. ¿Que c*** han hecho desde entonces?

I was going to say that it offered me voluntary to try it but I have searched the plant in Wikipedia and seen the side effects and ... I better wait for when I get to the market ...

Anasyx's profile photo
Anasyx
12/03/2016 3:07 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

I hope, it would be great for the moment to wait

Josénriq's profile photo
Josénriq
12/03/2016 8:18 a.m.

I had heard that artemisinine was a miracle against cancer, but I don't know, I don't enter my head that a chemical compound of a plant is the cure for everything.From what I have read pure waters oil (the plant where artemisinine is extracted) is very poisonous, but I imagine that in pills it will not be, what if it puts on Wikipedia is that its main properties is to stimulate the liver but also stimulatesGastric juices (something that is good for heavy but bad digestions for the theme of ulcers).

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
12/03/2016 8:18 p.m.

Last night looking on the subject I found something that caught my attention on a page about a preliminary study that was done in 1986

Link

In this study using Artemisia, (the same medication that has been cited in the article a few days ago).He tells us that they experienced 15 patients and 14 of them improved a lot.

Here is another investigation (I don't know if it will be the same as recently published article) last year of tests with mice.

Link

DiabetesForo
12/04/2016 10:05 a.m.

Another possible "cure" to add to the list ... and we remain the same.I have already begun to think that the cure has it well stored and while we can survive well we will not see it

FernandoGR's profile photo
FernandoGR
01/27/2017 12:35 p.m.

I am sorry to be agorero; but I'm fed up with this news.What I want are results and not create false expectations

rafaelcaballero's profile photo
rafaelcaballero
01/27/2017 4:01 p.m.

We are debutants in this, because my son was diagnosed 11 months ago, but we have noticed that people in general are not aware of what is a type 1 damabetic, therefore they think that taking care of themselves a little and not eatingSugar we are super happy,
Well, we don't know no and I think that if people knew what this would really have cured it.Not in dreams 11 months ago I could imply that a child clicks 5 times of insulin and many other or more of blood glucose and sometimes the glucose does what happens to the p ......, go bite with forgivenessIt is this and a hug for all who are a long time holding the disease you are some heroes.

FANAFREZZA's profile photo
FANAFREZZA
01/27/2017 4:30 p.m.

I wish some of this really get ahead ... but I am a tb of those who think that a lot
And @fanafrezza I totally agree with your reflection ... my daughter turns 10 months today of her debut

mariah14's profile photo
mariah14
01/27/2017 5:35 p.m.

Good news but after 41 years of type 1 diabetic I have learned that all research must be taken with skepticism, I am aware, that we have improved in a matter of insulins, glucometers and injection systems, but in all these only the only these yearsTools we continue to have are medication, diet, physical exercise and education in patient and family disease and this is what there is.
Health and greetings

alvarito's profile photo
alvarito
01/29/2017 11:56 a.m.

fanafrezza said:
we are debutants in this, because my son was diagnosed 11 months ago, but we have realized that people in general are not aware of what is a dangeticType 1, therefore they think that taking care of themselves and not eating sugar we are super happy,
Well, we don't know no and I think that if people knew what this would really have cured it.Not in dreams 11 months ago I could imply that a child clicks 5 times of insulin and many other or more of blood glucose and sometimes the glucose does what happens to the p ......, go bite with forgivenessIt is this and a hug for all who are a long time holding the disease you are some heroes.

And thanks to the support of family and friends.We would not get it from young people without parents like you !!Thanks Fanafrezza on behalf of all parents!

DiabetesForo
01/29/2017 12:33 p.m.

fanafrezza said:
we are debutants in this, because my son was diagnosed 11 months ago, but we have realized that people in general are not aware of what is a dangeticType 1, therefore they think that taking care of themselves and not eating sugar we are super happy,
Well, we don't know no and I think that if people knew what this would really have cured it.Not in dreams 11 months ago I could imply that a child clicks 5 times of insulin and many other or more of blood glucose and sometimes the glucose does what happens to the p ......, go shit with forgivenessIt is this.

If all non -diabetics (or without direct relatives who are) have no idea how difficult and stressful it is to try to control this disease, I when I tell a friend is broken to see how hard it is.

And above the news of diabetic newspapers where they go up to Everest or cross the desert running, they help not explain what it really is.In addition, the team of doctors who have them helping them and all the technologies they use to do so, they always forget to comment.

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
01/29/2017 3:54 p.m.

En 1922 descubrieron la insulina, en 1930 la insulina lenta. ¿Que c*** han hecho desde entonces?

I need to believe a little in all this, I need to have hope, the hope that my daughter will grow without complications waiting for a cure.We have been a year and a half, and every day I find it harder to think about my daughter's future, I need hope to cope with all this.

RocioLlinares's profile photo
RocioLlinares
01/30/2017 11:27 a.m.

Mamá de María. 15 años. Diagnósticada 05/06/2015
Humalog
Tresiba
@RocioLlinares
Última hemo 6,1

I am with you Rocío, I have tears when reading your comment, we need that hope and I will believe that the day will come, we will have to think for the moment and if in the day to day.It is very hard yes, but the effort will be worth it.You and I know the person who would throw a cure on his face, for the simple pleasure of doing so we will fight.A hug

FANAFREZZA's profile photo
FANAFREZZA
01/30/2017 12:04 p.m.

Hopefully it really serves, because lately I am not very good.
Above all, but I like to read that I am not the only one because I think it would depress me even more,
Thank you all for sharing

Belenes's profile photo
Belenes
01/30/2017 12:42 p.m.

Do not be ignorant, how many times you have read or heard things of these, I, since it was a crio, we are millions in the world and the terrible interests a disease that has no cure and does not kill you the next day, it will be cured,Not interest.
Do not fool yourself for life, some things or others will come out, but for life.
Interest, interest, etc., and I do not want to be negative, but I see it like that since I was eight years old and now I am fifty -four, I have heard of everything.
Greetings to everyone.

xara's profile photo
xara
02/05/2017 10:56 a.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.