{'en': 'Eat fruits in diabetes', 'es': 'Comer Frutas en la Diabetes'} Image

Eat fruits in diabetes

juanluis's profile photo   07/01/2019 8:56 p.m.

Many diabetics are subjected to pressures to limit fruity consumption due to their carbohydrate content.But if we stop a little, we will see that most healthy foods in nature have more or less carbohydrates.This includes fruits, vegetables, integral cereals and milk.

Actually, the sugar and calorie content of most fruits is low to moderate, so they can be part of a healthy and balanced diet for people with diabetes.

Unfortunately, some diabetic patients consider that fruits are prohibited foods.In this article we will try to demystify this erroneous concept.

My eBook on Diabetes

Fruit composition

Fruits contain several important ingredients for the proper functioning of the organism: water, sugars, fiber, vitamins and minerals .

Water

75-95% of the weight of fruits is water, so it contributes to good hydration, so important in diabetes.This makes them ideal for consumption in the summer months, especially in young and elderly children, which are more vulnerable to dehydration.

sugars

The presence of fruits sugars are a source of controversy for some people.These have three types of sugars in variable proportion: fructose, glucose and sucrose .Sucrose is also called table sugar, because we use it to sweeten food.With digestion, sucrose becomes a glucose unit and another fructose.

The fructose is the most abundant sugar of fruits, constituting about 50%, so it is called fruit sugar, and it is the one that gives it the sweet taste.>

glucose is the most common sugar of the body .All carbohydrates when digesting becomes sugar to be able to absorb.Glucose is an essential nutrient, because all the body's cells use it to produce energy.

Carbohydrates (or carbohydrates) represent 5-20% of the content of the fruits.The melon, watermelon and strawberry have about 5%, while the banana is 20% (wikipedia) .

From the point of view of blood glucose control, what matters is the amount of carbohydrates ingested, and not the type of food.That is, which makes the same effect a ration of 15 g of carbohydrates from fruit, legumes, cereals or carbonated soda.Now, naturally, there are healthier foods than others because of the nutrients they provide.

Fiber

fruits have soluble and insoluble fibers .On average, we consume only 15 grams of fiber a day, when recommended about 30 grams.The fibers make one feel more full, so they decrease hunger.

Dietary fiber consumption is associated with the following benefits for health:

• Cholesterol decreases

• Improves constipation

• Improves the symptoms of colon diverticula

• It contributes to prevent colon cancer

• Help lose weight

Vitamins

fruits, especially citrus fruits (lemon, orange, tangerine), are rich in vitamin C. Some, in addition, have vitamins A, E and complex B. Vitamins A, C and E are antioxidant, withbeneficial health effects.

Minerals

All fruits contain minerals, especially potassium.Arterial hypertension is common in type 2 diabetes.Potassium helps regulate blood pressure .

The diuretics are very popular antihypertensive medications.Oneof its side effects is the decrease in potassium in the blood, which can lead to serious health problems. fruits help recover normal blood potassium levels .

Some fruits such as avocado and dry fruits such as nuts have monoinsaturated fatty acids (good fats), which help lower cholesterol.

What is a ration of fruit?

Fruit ration definition

A ration of a food is the amount that an average person ingests at a given time .In practice, standardized measures have been published for different types of food.

In the case of fruit, the fao defines it as the size of a tennis ball or a bulb .The US Department of Agriculture defines a portion of fruit such as ½ cup of peeled fruit , but may vary depending on the fruit.

A practical measure is what fits in the palm of the hand .This measure is variable, as it reflects the needs of each individual depending on their size.

A ration of fruit is equivalent to a ration of carbohydrates, which weighs 15 grams.

Examples of a ration of popular fruits

• 1 medium pear

• 1 medium apple

• 1 median orange

• ½ grapefruit

• 1 medium peach

• ½ cup peach of can

• 1 medium banana

• 8 strawberries

• 2 kiwis

• 2 small plums

• 1 cup pineapple

• 1 cup of melon

• 1 cup of papaya

• ½ mango or ½ cup of handle

• 1 cup of grapes

• 3/4 cup of blueberries (blueberries)

• 2 tablespoons of raisins

• ¾ Cup fruit juice

Ingesta recommendations

Fruits are the natural dessert of choice.They are also the ideal snack due to its pleasant taste and the nutrients it brings.Prefer fresh fruits in your natural state;If you consume fruit juices, make sure it is 100% natural (not concentrate), and without added sugar.

In a healthy diabetics diet, about 50-60% of calories must come from carbohydrates, 25-30% of fats and 15-20% protein.

In type 2 diabetes, fruits consumption can be part of a dietary descent plan.

In the flexible treatment of type 1 diabetes, the rapid insulin dose at meals is calculated based on the amount of carbohydrates.The grams of fruits must be incorporated into the total carbohydrate grams.

juanluis's profile photo
juanluis
07/01/2019 8:56 p.m.

A small correction.A ration of carbohydrates corresponds to 10 gr of carbohydrates, not 15 gr.
In the USA they define a ration like 15 gr, but here it is not.In addition, the ration of carbohydrates being the basis for calculating the insulin bolus, it is important to indicate it since not only the calculation of portions is easier but can lead to important errors in the dose calculation

Ignasi_p's profile photo
Ignasi_p
07/03/2019 8:01 a.m.

Abasaglar 25U (noche)
Novorapid 4/6/6 (y lo que caiga por enmedio)
Glicosilada (30/4/19): 6.5

I love the fruit, the restriction of 2 rations x food, in return not like other foods such as pasta, rice or potato.
I do not share the low hydrate diets that suppress the fruit and swell you to "good" fat.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
07/04/2019 1:40 p.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

I love the fruit, especially the summer, I adjust the insulin and that's it, but I now refuse to heat the peaches, apricots, watermelon or melon <3 <3 <3 <3

morganeta's profile photo
morganeta
07/04/2019 4:44 p.m.

Diabética desde 2002
Tresiba y Fiasp

Good afternoon!How do you calculate the waiting time and bolus type for the fruit?With the G6 and BombEat and I don't know how to get bolus to eat more. Many thanks to everyone !!!

arancv's profile photo
arancv
12/06/2023 5:20 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Well, in my case I get a lot even if I get more insulin, and also very fast, the fructose q is the fruit sugar, in the end it ends up becoming a glucose part so it is not the same that eating vegetables, not at all, I do not shareThat opinion.
The fruit that as, I try that it is not more than a ration of HC and as more red fruits that barely go up.My endocrine says that before the sensors, they recommended the fruit a lot but after seeing how glycemia acted after eating for an apple (which most were put in 10 min to 200), they no longer recommend it so much.
Everyone has to see according to the sensor, how each fruit affects him.
I speak of DB type 1, of course.

meginer's profile photo
meginer
12/06/2023 9:27 p.m.

meginer said:
because in my case I get a lot even more insulin, and also very fast, the fructose q is the sugar of the fruit, in the end it ends up becoming a glucose part like thisThat is not the same as eating vegetables, at all, I don't share that opinion.
The fruit that as, I try that it is not more than a ration of HC and as more red fruits that barely go up.My endocrine says that before the sensors, they recommended the fruit a lot but after seeing how glycemia acted after eating for an apple (which most were put in 10 min to 200), they no longer recommend it so much.

A question, to most diabetics the fruit goes up to 200 in 10 minutes.Non -diabetics also have peaks?Very high?Thank you

fosforero's profile photo
fosforero
12/09/2023 9:06 p.m.

Diabetes tipo 2 desde 2014, 850 mg de Metformina al día, neuropatía periférica desde 2020

@fosphorero, no, they can have any of 14o if they eat a lot, but it is normal for them to move between 70 and 120

Regina's profile photo
Regina
12/10/2023 3:09 a.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

Once I saw a healthy young boy on YouTube, get the glucose sensor, take almost a liter of cocacola with their 100gr of sugar and not get out of 100.

Another girl was always in 70 ate what she ate.It impressed me a lot.

Although I suppose this perfect control will be only in young people.

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
12/10/2023 3:28 a.m.

En 1922 descubrieron la insulina, en 1930 la insulina lenta. ¿Que c*** han hecho desde entonces?

meginer said:
because in my case I get a lot even more insulin, and also very fast, the fructose q is the sugar of the fruit, in the end it ends up becoming a glucose part like thisThat is not the same as eating vegetables, at all, I don't share that opinion.

I am learning in this forum more than with all the endocrine together.I did not know about apples and I have done the test and mathematician: 200 at 10 minutes.It was at night.
On the other hand, the first thing I do when I get up is to eat a kiwi because I have problems evacuating and it has only uploaded me to 120. I do not have a concrete rule and that everything is different every day.But well, it's what there is ...

fosforero
12/10/2023 11:08 a.m.

Diabetes tipo 2 desde 2014, 850 mg de Metformina al día, neuropatía periférica desde 2020

@fosphorero and also depends on the type of apple.I have already drear them, they upload a lot more than a yellow or a red apple of another.

Carussa's profile photo
Carussa
12/11/2023 12:53 p.m.

DM1 desde octubre de 2019 | Toujeo + Fiasp | FreeStyle | febrero 2023: HbA1c 5,7

carussa said:
@phosphorero and also depends on the type of apple.I have already drear them, they upload a lot more than a yellow or a red apple of another type.

It is fair that I ate when I did the test because until now I did not buy others because it is certainly the one I like the most

fosforero
12/11/2023 1:22 p.m.

I would recommend that you take a look at Dr. Bernstein's experiences regarding food and its consequences in our diabetes.It's not to put so many hydrates.Even if only as information.Then we make the decisions each.

Arse's profile photo
Arse
12/14/2023 9:05 a.m.

Lada desde 2018. Freestyle Libre 2. Tresiva y Humalog J. Alimentación "low carb".

Link

Take away, this?

Thank you

joelsa's profile photo
joelsa
12/14/2023 10:03 a.m.

That.If you are interested, I tell you where to get the book already translated, without cost

Arse's profile photo
Arse
12/14/2023 10:07 a.m.

Lada desde 2018. Freestyle Libre 2. Tresiva y Humalog J. Alimentación "low carb".

Okay, read I like and on this matter now more, and be able to contrast.

Thank you so much!

joelsa's profile photo
joelsa
12/14/2023 10:09 a.m.

I sent you a comment to your profile

Arse's profile photo
Arse
12/14/2023 10:19 a.m.

wave said:
that.If you are interested, I tell you where to get the book already translated, without cost

Why don't you hang the link in the forum so that we can get it all translated?I also have interest.
Thank you so much

fosforero
12/14/2023 10:23 a.m.

wave said:
that.If you are interested, I tell you where to get the book already translated, without cost

Porfi, I want too.That in English I am not going to find out ...

Ensalada's profile photo
Ensalada
12/14/2023 12:50 p.m.

LADA desde septiembre de 2021
Toujeo y Fiasp
Aprendiendo

I have it in a file on my PC ... that's why I told you about an email to send it to you.
It is the fastest thing that occurs to me.Put a private, your mail and send it to you in PDF format

Arse's profile photo
Arse
12/14/2023 7:54 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.