Continuous glucose meter in children

Velia's profile photo   10/08/2008 6:22 a.m.

Yesterday they placed my 10 -year -old daughter a continuous glucose meter, specifically is the Medtronic Minilink.In this thread I will tell our experience with the Aperacatejo.I know in advance that the true benefits of this system are obtained in the medium term, so I am patient and in these beginnings what I want is to try to learn about the behavior of blood glucose in my daughter, of its trends depending on the activity you do,of your mood or what you eat ...

Well, that yesterday was the big day.With certain nerves, I will not say no.Angela began the gut pain when we were in the car and Juan Luis and I tried to reassure her talking to her, without lies, or taboos about what we know about the meter .... we know that it is invasive, we know that she hasHis inconveniences, but we focus on the issue from the point of view of the importance of good control of his diabetes, for his future, and opportunity they had offered us to at least try ... it seems that he calmed down a lot and his attitude was a swweepositive...
Upon arriving at the relevant greetings and again Javier, the Commercial of Medtronic of this area, which placed the bomb to Angela and the one who sold the Guardian to Juan Luis, come on, almost from the family, as attentive as ever, gave us the previous talk about its management.I forgot that there were also Samuel and his parents, a 13 -year -old teenager who was going to place another seagraft .... Ángela was the first, I recognize that he gave a jerky when he inserted the sensor.My hands were shaking, I don't know if they were in the order of 8 or 10 people looking at or inexperience ...

The first day of the sensor we know that it is not very reliable, it has been with outdated values ​​in +- 50 units ... yes, it is great to see how it goes down, how it goes up, and how fast or slow it does ...We know that trends are the most important.
We have placed it on the back on the waist.He says he throws him (I think he is the dressing they have put to cover it).And in principle up to 6 days we don't have to change it.

As you see results, advantages or inconveniences I will tell you.

Greetings.

Velia's profile photo
Velia
10/08/2008 6:22 a.m.

De los buenos tiempos, siempre quiero más...
Mamá de Ángela, ¡16 añitos, fiera!. Debut: octubre de 2003.
Bomba insulina Medtronic Paradigm Veo desde junio 2005
Última hemo 6.1

I had forgotten that they will provide us with a capillary meter that through Bluetooth will send the measure directly to the pump, so as not to have to do it manually ....

Velia's profile photo
Velia
10/08/2008 8:12 a.m.

Última hemo 6.1

You can not believe what wonder is to see the graph that is obtained with the glycemia that has every 5 minutes.He has been stable all morning pulling the high (an average of 150) and all afternoon and so far with values ​​that range between 90 and 100 .... I can't believe it.I thought that blood glucose suffered many more ups and downs ...A joy ... By the way, as planned, according to everything we have learned with the experience of Juan Luis, today the meter is giving controls with a difference with the capillary glucose of a +/- 10 mg/dl ...Ole !!!!The pre of dinner at the minilink 100 and Gluco 90 ... the post of dinner at the meter 101 in the Gluco 92 ....
Today Angela no longer complains about the annoyance.And I think she is happy.Already observe the trends.I told her to look at the trend before and in the middle of the physical education class and that if the control was less than 150 and going down a cookie ... it seems that she also likes to see that her glycemia are maintainedwithin limits ....
And I look for the sensor and insert photos.Now I put it on you.

Velia's profile photo
Velia
10/09/2008 6:19 p.m.

Última hemo 6.1

That is the minilink.

And this the insert.

Velia's profile photo
Velia
10/09/2008 6:34 p.m.

Última hemo 6.1

I have taken a look at the Medtronic page to see the info on the children's model (Pediatric Model).The truth is that it does not solve the important thing, the puncture, since only the SW changes (fix the alarm thresholds), so we will have to wait for some sensor to come out with the smallest needle.
Ah, what they have is the possibility of tuning the pump with colored "skins".

Juan Luis's profile photo
Juan Luis
10/10/2008 7:19 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

On Friday morning he was normal, with foreseeable values, but curiously when he got home he began to rise abnormally glycemia.I suspect they were nerves.I was going to Madrid and she stayed with her father ... I had a bad time, it is not that she had a bad time with her father, but that it is wrong because she is not with me, and with more reason if I leave outside (something thatIt makes him nervous).He ate normal and began to feel thirsty for five minutes before I left.I looked at the meter and I saw how it went up a lot.It was capillary and what was my surprise 270, the wreaked of the nerves is incredible ... silly and unexpected I could not contain myself and correjí ... Well, you don't see what I travel.At 10 minutes that went down from 20 in 20, from 30 to 30 ... in short, I should not have corrected it ... we remedied it well giving a snack and putting less insulin for it .... He was with his father withMore or less good levels and the next morning the gossip began with weak signal and suddenly lost communication with the bomb.After a few attempts to start it and others, his father told us that he had left the body ... as we were in Madrid we decided not to put it until yesterday that we were coming back.We insert it.He didn't complain much.And from yesterday at 10.30 that he returned from his father's house, until today, perfect capillary measurements and with minilink .... It seems that this works.It has spent the whole night with values ​​that ranged between 99 and 112 .... is not bad, right ????
Well.I will tell you this week how it is working, that I believe that I will have learned something from the errors of the previous one.

Velia's profile photo
Velia
10/13/2008 7:14 a.m.

Última hemo 6.1

A week after the placement of the minilink, can I say that this seems to work .... will I have lost my respect ???well yes.At first they were all fears.It will endure it, it will work well, I am not going to trust ... but like almost everything in life, this is nothing more than time and learning ... I am already reducing the number of capillary controls .... I have observed something that already alreadyI knew by Juan Luis, that when the glycemia goes up quickly or quickly, it must, the results of the glucometer and the minilish are practically identical and that the trends work well and serve a lot of help to make decisions at eating, of putting the insulin, of correjir etc ... Ángela has already become accustomed to carrying it,In fact, nothing is complained and now to wait for us to leave us as long as possible .... for the moment to the endo to teach the graphs and to change impressions ....

Velia's profile photo
Velia
10/15/2008 6:35 a.m.

Última hemo 6.1

Last night the sensor came out again ... What a work, the first lasted 4 days and the second 3 ... We have seen it again with more dressings to see what happens.We will try to look in American forums to see if they have more experience with children.Or maybe it's the insertion zone .... I don't know.
Otherwise we are still happy with the gossip.

Velia's profile photo
Velia
10/16/2008 4:34 a.m.

Última hemo 6.1

I am very glad that the experience is being so positive and you are taking the maximum game to the pot.Where does Angela carry the catheter?And the sensor?
A kiss.

Beky's profile photo
Beky
10/17/2008 6:55 p.m.

Today I have review of these 2 weeks with the endo .... I will tell you what it counts ... I have to make some changes, especially at night, but I assure you that I see the advantages to this ....Much less controls and reliability in trends ... Angela does not bother anything, and we have already bought the dressing that seems to be fought from so many inserts .... for now it takes 4 days, to see if it lastsThe 6. By the way, on Friday he had his first compliance with a gossip, in a bourgeois King, he was shit because there is a play place and you can imagine 20 10 -year energies there ... but both the girl and the gossipThey left intact ... glycemic speaking I did not have to measure when after so much hustle we saw how it fell suddenly, we anticipated the downturn with 1 juice without added sugar, or when they brought the cake ..... Paint well, eh?
Becky, the pump catheter we put it in the buttocks, because Angela is thin and has no fatty in the gut ... and the sensor at the bottom of the back, a little above the waist andon the sides .... The insertion of the 2 catheters cannot be less than 5 cms on each other, if it is with a pump, or 7 cm.If it is injection ....

Velia's profile photo
Velia
10/20/2008 4:36 a.m.

Última hemo 6.1

.... Jolin the more I read you the more envy you give me .......: D, I want one ...that if I changed my bomb here I wouldn't mind trying even if it's something expensive ...... Anyway, I'm glad everything goes so well ..... a kiss

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
10/20/2008 5:22 a.m.

.. that well Velia !!You already start enjoying it ...: p.

DiabetesForo
10/20/2008 8:34 a.m.

Yes mommy ... the bad thing is that the good is used to one soon, hehehehe .... the good thing is that I suppose the conclusions if they are positive will help many diabetics .... it is clear that the shots gohere.That there will be a lot to improve, investigate
The appointment was tomorrow ... we had to get a mess because we had presented the parents of Samuel, Samuel and we and the appointment seems to be for 21 ... I will tell you.

Velia's profile photo
Velia
10/20/2008 12:48 p.m.

Última hemo 6.1

Yesterday he touched the end of the endo .... This is how quickly he told me that the basal of the night had to be increased.That is quite well.That we put the alarms and little else.
There was Jaime, a 4 -year -old boy, who had also put the minilink.This seems that it works ... now to continue squeezing to get the most out of it ...
By the way, they gave the children, well, Juanlu also, hehehe, some stickers to tune the bomb .... what cool!Angela chose a rose with flowers (of course!) And one of dalmatics, or cow ... has put the rosita and is excited ... Children's things.

Velia's profile photo
Velia
10/22/2008 5:26 a.m.

Última hemo 6.1

We are on the 7th day of the meter, (of the 2nd week), I suppose that today it will stop working and we will have to change it ... every day happier and every day more convinced that the shots go here ....We have already put the alarms that of Hiper in 190 and that of Hicm in 90Yesterday, except for breakfast hyper (which was rapid quickly), did not pass those limits at any time until this morning that had 79?And then it is hard for you to leave ... Anyway, we'll see because time we stay ...
By the way, we have not taken off again ... Angela still does not have any discomfort and is learning a lot with the trends .... It seems to her that she is also cool.

Velia's profile photo
Velia
10/23/2008 5:09 a.m.

Última hemo 6.1

If, there they must walk the shots, or at least it is what I think since I heard about the pendra years ago.And seeing how it works in Angela makes me think that I am not very wrong.Obviously this is only the first step, the following, in my modest opinion, they must go for:

-Improve reliability.If it turns out that after "n" calibrations the pot is already beginning to measure well, and increasingIt will be reliable for much longer.

-Improve the puncture.The needle impresses, and sometimes hurts.Well then to see if they get at least last weeks, as I said before, and instead of a puncture a week we are talking about one a month, or to the quarter.

-Ciert tendency of the sensor to "get rid of" when playing, bathe ... to see with the new dressings, we will tell you.

-And of course, think about the next step, the SW that is able to make decisions.I do not know if those of Oviedo will finally start this issue, although I think, and I hope that private bomb companies are already in it.This will go slowly, step by step, for patient safety reasons, and to improve and fix the problems that arise.Almost all my professional career has consisted of very complex SW tests that had to be fixed and improving month by month, and for years.Even SWS that were able to fix "failures" of users ("dolls" we call it), cable breakdowns .... What is a cable breakdown solved?Well, packages are sent every several milliseconds, and permanently, and the answer is checked, and if the signal does not return it is that it has been escharrao, then an alternative is used, and if the alternative also fails, it is for what you have to stop andHe warns the user that the invention has been escaped.What I mean is that with SW you can solve many things of those that happen to us daily, which is not just measuring, calculating, and ordering insulin infusion.It is a matter of knowing what happens and that designer SW has a little imagination.Of course, the process is slow.
I have already hated that they will get a version that for the pump if the sugar goes down, well, it would be the first step.

Juan Luis
10/23/2008 9:39 a.m.

By the way, taking advantage of the fact that I am idle I have taken a look today to the interior to see that there is new with the artificial pancreas.And I found something, take a look ..

An interview, in English, and some interesting articles.

Come, there is less.

Juan Luis
10/24/2008 7:41 a.m.

: Shock: Juan Luís, please, that my English is not good :?: ((And I can't find out anything.
Peace

DiabetesForo
10/24/2008 8:22 a.m.

It is that there is a lot of info, for example, in one of the articles there is talk at a given time to use glucagon when it goes abruptly (although not everyone agrees, according to Leo).One of them says ...

"I am quite convinced that a counter -shaped hormone is needed.
In real life, huge drops precipitated in blood glucose can happen due to changes in insulin sensitivity in a very short space of time ... There is no way that a machine can prevent something like this quickly.Glucagon works extremely fast ... "

In another, where they tell what we already know, they finally say ..

“The members of the consortium experience with the variations of this closing-lazo system, so called why the computer algorithm connects the insulin pump and the glucose monitor, closing the loop.Perhaps the person closest to the development of a commercial system is Roman Hovorka, a main research partner at the University of Cambridge, in the United Kingdom, where he leads to the diabetes modeling group.His first closing-lazo study examined the efficacy of the system used overnight, during the hours when glycemia levels probably fall precipitously and complications can occur."I want to move to an approach that could be marketed, and the simplest is fair to close the loop overnight, at the same time when you can't do too much about insulin anyway."

And in the interview/report (of the CBS) a couple of women (a mother and a teenager) who have participated in these tests are released ..

“In the city of Hospital de Esperanza in Los Angeles, a device to automatically control the levels of diabetic control blood glucose is being tested.This is called the artificial pancreas.
For a 36 -hour period, a sensor connected to its abdomen supervises blood glucose levels, sending information to a sophisticated computer program that determines how much insulin is delivered by its pump.Ressler doesn't have to do anything.
"Patients love this because they release the enormous pressure behind them," says Dr. Foud Kandeel, the director of the Diabetes, Endocrinology and Metabolism department in the city of Esperanza.
The device, if approved, could be available in the next five to 10 years."

Ah, if you see the report you will see that the pump and the sensor are those that Medtronic markets, which is obviously involved one hundred percent in this.

If you want to translate a small paragraph you can go to

You skip the advertising, copy the paragraph to the left, click on en-are, and the literal translation comes to the right

Juan Luis
10/24/2008 9:15 a.m.

And finally, that I go home, one more link of the same page with a couple of videos of two kids who participate in the tests in Cambridge (the first one does not work for me).

Juan Luis
10/24/2008 11:46 a.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.