{'en': 'Encapsulated beta cells, great hope in 5 years.', 'es': 'Células beta encapsuladas, gran esperanza en 5 años.'} Image

Encapsulated beta cells, great hope in 5 years.

Artorias's profile photo   09/12/2015 4:29 p.m.

First of all I clarify that for me this would not really be a cure (our stupid immune system would continue to kill any beta cell that caught our body, except those that will be inside the implant of this invention), although in practice yes yes yes do, because in the best case we would not need to inject insulin, or maybe but much less.

It is basically an implant that goes inside the body and has beta cells inside.This implant has a barrier that lets several things pass, such as glucose or insulin produced by beta cells inside, but does not let the immune system cells go in, so they cannot destroy beta cells.

Project website: http:/viacyte.com/products/vc-01-diabetes-teherapy/
The project is sponsored by the JDRF (Foundation for Youth Diabetes), more info: Link
The project has even its own documentary, which they are doing: Link

Interesting interview with the CEO of Viacyte: Link (for whom you do not know English, translated by Google here: Link

What puts the hair to tip is: "Five Years From Now We Hope That We Will Have Success with The VC-01 Product and Be Moving to the Market."& GT;"In five years we hope to have succeeded with the VC-01 product and get it to the market."

Artorias's profile photo
Artorias
09/12/2015 4:29 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Will arrive>: d <

Regina's profile photo
Regina
09/12/2015 6:33 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

It may come, what scares me is whether it will be accessible to Mileurists.But come on, they are good news.

rafach's profile photo
rafach
09/13/2015 6:49 p.m.

Diebetico desde hace 12 años. Ultima hemo 6.9%. Usuario de freestyle.

It is a great hope for both type 1 and type 2 with loss of advanced pancreatic reserve.I have also read something of the artificial pancreas that has already been mentioned by this forum, which is capable of monitoring glucose and adapting the insulin dose automatically (someone here mentioned that it used the Dexcom monitor).

These "encapsulated" beta cells suppose will be nourished by the blood flow itself (of the glucose itself that stimulates them to secrete insulin in addition to potassium).On how to avoid antibodies for type 1, I trust scientists a lot.They may modify them to prevent them from expressing the antigen (epítopo) of anti-beet antibodies;Once this is done, if they are isolated, there is no way for a B lymphocyte to activate by contact, which would make God want it, it was definitive for type 1. I have a lot of confidence and much hope in this research specifically.For now, in preclinical trials (animal model) seems to work.It is a big step, not the definitive one, but a great step.

I hope and pray a lot to get the great news soon, I don't want to take a click, really.

On whether it will be available to everyone, an intelligent public administration will undoubtedly put it available to everyone, especially in view of saving money.It is something similar to what is happening with the Sofosbuvir (a medicine that eradicates the hepatitis C virus even in advanced patients), very poorly managed by the way: in this case, years of treatment + dependence aid + revenue to the hospital+ Liver transplant is much more expensive than a treatment that eliminates the problem (and in this case, it affects many young people, with more than 60 years of treatment ahead).If the administration uses the head and wants to save money, will provide this treatment as soon as possible.

I hope it goes well.Let's cross your fingers.

joejunior's profile photo
joejunior
09/13/2015 8:08 p.m.

That would be if it is a health system was not directed by politicians who sell the highest bidder.I don't think they finance it.

rafach's profile photo
rafach
09/13/2015 8:57 p.m.

Diebetico desde hace 12 años. Ultima hemo 6.9%. Usuario de freestyle.

If they save costs if it will arrive in Spain, we are not going to be the onlyI would be even if it took 10 years.

aranzazuleg's profile photo
aranzazuleg
09/14/2015 12:06 p.m.

For now, in Murino Model (mouse) the preclinical essay looks good.According to project documents themselves, normal mouse glymia (superior to human) is maintained at human blood glucose levels for mice with the device, and at murine levels for those mice that have the empty device (without human beta cells, onlythe natives of the mouse).Subsequently, a product was introduced that selectively destroys the beta murin cells, preserving the human beta cells of the implant in the mice that have the device with cells.The result is that mice with the implemently functional retain a human blood glucose while mice that did not have it lose regulatory capacity.

This shows that in the preclinical trial, the device works in mice.

But there is something that seems even more striking.If you look, there is a revascularization (arteries that arrive) to nurture the beta cells of the device, but nevertheless, there is no rejection in front of beta cells.I do not know if it will be because the mice are treated with immunosuppressants, I have to find out and I will continue reading more about this technology, but for those who are type 1 I think this could be encouraging.

I will remain very attentive, I do not know if someone is interested

joejunior
09/14/2015 12:33 p.m.

I can't resist, I feel if I'm heavy.It is on the cover that a permeable membrane is used that prevents immune rejection.

Observe the islets of the device:

Compared to human islets in a typical hematoxylin-eosin staining:

Link style = "max-Width: 300px;
(The islets form that lighter color globular structure; the darkest dyed cells are exocrine pancreas and we are not interested).

It is encouraging.

I also just read that clinical trials (in humans, come on), began in 2014.

joejunior
09/14/2015 12:39 p.m.

Here no contribution lacks interest, thank you very much !!

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
09/14/2015 12:53 p.m.

Gracias Joejunior !!!!!I personally love that you share with us these information, it fills me with hope, hope for my daughter .......

RocioLlinares's profile photo
RocioLlinares
09/14/2015 2:13 p.m.

Mamá de María. 15 años. Diagnósticada 05/06/2015
Humalog
Tresiba
@RocioLlinares
Última hemo 6,1

I love reading all this information.I have clinical training and I would like to continue studying.Since I am diagnosed I feel that I have to continue studying even more reason and keep reading articles and updating.If something good has had this disease in me it has been to wake up the desire to resume and end health biology, at 37 years.Please continue sharing this type of articles!

xorxie's profile photo
xorxie
09/14/2015 3:08 p.m.

Hi Joejunior, I love reading you and I want to thank you for all the information you provide, everything you explain can be more interesting.I wanted to ask you if those encapsulated beta cells come from an animal or are human and, if they are human, they have had to kill embryos to get them.

ROAR's profile photo
ROAR
09/14/2015 8:24 p.m.

That is the subject, how can they be obtained.If they come from embryonic stem cells, there would be no production limit;If they come from human pancreas, they cannot be obtained in sufficient amounts.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
09/15/2015 1:16 a.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)

Hello, it is a good question that you propose.According to them, stem cells (Stem Cell) are HESC type (Human Embonic Stem Cells), which come from the internal cell mass cells of the blastocyst.This mass (in red in the photo) generates the entire embryo except the embryonic part of the placenta (the syncitiotrophoblast and the cytotrophoblast, that is responsible for the cells in green):

In the green line is the glycemia of the control mice (the empty device, without beta cells of any kind).In blue, below, the glycemia of the mice with the device (with human beta cells) is seen.The first thing we see is that those who have the active device have a minor glycemia.This is because mice have a higher natural blood glucose than the human being;Therefore, the mice that human pancreatic cells have have a lower glycemia than that for them is natural, because the regulation of human cells that carry reduce more than their own.

Next, a substance is introduced that selectively kills mouse beta cells, but respects (if present) human beta cells.Thus, control mice already stop regulating glucose.On the other hand, the mice with the device, without a doubt they will also have lost their own mouse beta cells, but still retain those of the device, so the blood glucose continues to regulate exactly the same as before.

Finally, commenting on the drawings that arrived were to illustrate that Langerhans islets (where we see that the cells form "circles", which are the ducts by which they secrete insulin) of a human pancreas are histologically identical to those of the device.Incredible what they are doing, great.

joejunior
09/15/2015 10:30 a.m.

Wonderful the work that you have hit and very exciting the project.Now we just have to wait without despair...

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
09/15/2015 1:09 p.m.

*ISP = IPS

joejunior
09/15/2015 2:15 p.m.

Awesome.Thank you very much for your explanations and for keeping hope alive.

ROAR's profile photo
ROAR
09/15/2015 3:39 p.m.

Artoria and Joejunio .....

Thanks for sharing such hope information ...

josebas's profile photo
josebas
09/15/2015 5:42 p.m.

A whole biology lesson and research with very hopeful results
.Thank you very much, Joejunior.Of course it will arrive.It is the most logical treatment.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
09/16/2015 1:59 a.m.

@Joejunior, thank you very much for the information !!!Let's cross the fingers to arrive soon, and be effective and economical

FunSugarFree's profile photo
FunSugarFree
09/16/2015 11:08 a.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.