{'en': 'Low carbohydrate diets could help people with type 1 diabetes (study)', 'es': 'Dietas bajas en carbohidratos podrían ayudar a personas con diabetes tipo 1 (Estudio)'} Image

Low carbohydrate diets could help people with type 1 diabetes (study)

fer's profile photo   05/09/2018 10:23 a.m.

A study has found that very low carbohydrate diets can improve blood sugar levels in people with type 1 diabetes, something that was previously considered debatable.

What has been discussed for decades, and has described as controversial, is now verifiable thanks to a new study that concluded that a diet low enough in carbohydrates could be helpful for people with type 1 diabetes.

The study was published in the scientific journal Pediatrics, and was led by researchers at Boston Children’s Hospital.

In total, 316 people were analyzed, which had been found in a Facebook group that advocates a very low diet in carbohydrates for type 1 diabetes. In the study, 138 people had been effectively diagnosed with diabetes, and 42% ofThe participants were children.They had an average daily carbohydrate intake of 36 grams, which was only 5% of their total calories.That is much less than the 45% recommended by the American Diabetes Association.

The results of those who followed quite low carbohydrates were in fact interesting: participants reported A1C hemoglobin values, which are the main measure of blood sugar, only 5.67%.The objective is to keep it below 7% in people with type 1 diabetes, which means that they need rather small insulin doses.

"The reported sugar control (by the patients of the observed group) were almost too good to be true," said Belinda Lennerz, of the Boston Children’s Hospital, and the main author of the study."It is nothing similar to what we usually see in our clinic specialized in type 1 diabetes."

The idea of ​​a low carbohydrate diet to combat type 1 diabetes is somewhat controversial and has been widely discussed by dietitians, nutritionists and doctors from around the world, since it is generally believed that it could increase the risk of dangerous falls at the levelof blood sugar known as hypoglycemia.But in this study, hospitalization rates for hypoglycemia were only 1%, a lower amount than usual.

However, there were limitations in the study since it was observational, not controlled, and the participants registered a large part of their own data.Therefore, the authors point out that a randomized clinical trial will be needed to see if this diet is as successful as it alleges, and also that it is safe.They also warn that patients with type 1 diabetes should not change their diet without first consulting their respective doctor.

fer's profile photo
fer
05/09/2018 10:23 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

I believe that the low Diets in HC are not well seen because the concept of the ancient insulins with which yes or yes, when you click you had to eat and always some hydrate.
I have been with a low diet in HC for 5 years, especially eliminating refined HC and I had never had such a controlled glucose, and I have it very proven, at the time I get out of the line or I haveThat clicking huge amounts of insulin or I have very high peaks and I am not willing to one or the other.I am not radical and obviously I give my whims and if one day I feel like paella because I do it but of course this way of eating makes me better and eye, I do not suppur to 100% the hydrates, much less but the intake is very lowand most of the time they come from the vegetables themselves.

nigiri's profile photo
nigiri
05/09/2018 10:01 p.m.

DM1 desde 1990 - Fiasp y Toujeo - HG: 6,1

Totally agree with you @"nigiri".Since I am low in hydrates I am with very stable glycemias and some weekend that jumped it because the thing is already complicated.
With the slow insulins today you can perfectly be without eating and that they do not give you hypos if it is well adjusted, so it makes no sense to eat hydrates if or if.The same that makes sense to make 5 meals yes or yes.
In fact this is not something new, before the insulins appeared to the diabetics they were treated with low hydrates diets.Obviously type 1 ended up dying when their body no longer produced enough insulin, but at type 2 it gave them better results than high diets that currently recommend them.

Yessica_A's profile photo
Yessica_A
05/09/2018 11:44 p.m.

DM1 desde 2003 | Toujeo + Humalog | FreeStyle 2 | HbA1c 5.5

I do not know why a study is published where participants give their own data.And on top of these are fans of the low diet in HC captured on a Facebook page that advocated this diet.It looks like a joke.

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
05/10/2018 4:58 a.m.

En 1922 descubrieron la insulina, en 1930 la insulina lenta. ¿Que c*** han hecho desde entonces?

@"Sherpa41" Studies of this type in which data is collected from the participants with questionnaires or interviews are called observational studies and are quite common, although obviously they are the least reliable of the studies and their conclusions must be analyzed having that clear.Here at least it is correctly specified in the news and the researchers conclude that intervention studies are needed to confirm it.In the press it is very common for news to say that a study says I do not know that without specifying what kind of study it is.
Observational studies are cheaper and data from many more people can be collected, so they sometimes become first step to see if it is worth doing more reliable studies on a subject.While the type of study is clearly specified when the news is given, I do not see the problem in which the results are published.
I would like intervention studies on this topic to see the conclusions.And it seems to me an advance that this has been made because it is a first step for more researchers to be interested in the subject.So far there is not much information about low diets in hydrates with type 1 diabetics and I think they are necessary.With type 2 there are several and get very good results.And I think the sick have the right to know if there is a way to get the disease better controlling the diet.So far those who dare to do it are on our own and normally with the opposition of our endocrine and everything is much more difficult until you have been controlling it well.

Yessica_A
05/10/2018 8 a.m.

I recognize that I would try a low diet in HC not for lowering glycosylated hemoglobin but as @"nigiri" has said so as not to see many days in the graphic of the free or bluon those peaks that look like Everest and put me very bad h....to !!
But I already had my diet time when I crushed a lot in the gym and I didn't get along with following a very strict food routine and in the end I ended up eating everything.In the end, what I have done is to lower the amount of hydrates a lot but without excluding any type of food because I do not want to dispense with the legumes, bread and even one day the rice or pasta, even in less quantities.-

Anyway, it seems perfect that each one follows the diet that does well, with which he feels comfortable and has no lack of vitamins, minerals etc, etc. when the analytics arrive.-

sigsauer's profile photo
sigsauer
05/10/2018 9:01 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Be careful with diets, I think it is best to eat of everything in its fair measure and as healthy as possible, always adjusted to our rhythm of life.For me the best is the Mediterranean diet par excellence.But above all and the most important thing is that each one is going differently.

polustiano's profile photo
polustiano
05/10/2018 10:11 a.m.

DM 1 desde 2013
Lantus y Novorrapid
Aficionado al deporte

In the end each one has to choose the option that best does with his lifestyle and his goals.I certainly prefer not to eat certain things than to be angry all day when you see peaks in the graphs or have to make a thousand calculations to succeed with the doses, wait before starting to eat and things about those.For me to control food, it is much simpler than trying to adjust the treatment to certain foods that are complicated to control.
But in my case I don't have a hard time eating some things, many no longer ate them before and the vegetable (which is what is most eaten in these diets) I like it very much, so I have adapted very well.
And @"SIGSAUER" I, for example, legumes if, how, although they have enough hydrate, they don't upload anything to be very slow.Bread, pasta and rice is another issue.But I almost did not ate bread or rice, so it has not cost me to leave it at all.The pasta does like and cost me something else but sometimes like the lentils of the Mercadona that is quite well.Although low diet is made in hydrates there is no maximum or minimal amount, each one is seeing what is best and adapts.What is usually followed is that if your glucose does not upload after eating it, you can eat it.And of course there are days that you skip it and eat what you want.I do have a dinner with friends because what I want although that day costs me more to control glucose.

Yessica_A
05/10/2018 12:37 p.m.

All this article, news, study or as they want to call this very good ... but what would really help would be a better treatment, better insulins and continuous meters, not precisely to eat less, in such a case both a good diet and exercise are exercisingAn inalienable complement for good glucose level control.In my modest opinion, this article is wrong and not very successful.Each adapts its diet based on foods that least alter your levels or better assimilate your body without causing great variations in your blood glucose, but the aid is in a substantial improvement of what we hopefully cannot reject and it is insulin and the devices forMeasure glycemia, both irreplaceable and necessary, if or if by flats.

LuVi's profile photo
LuVi
05/10/2018 12:54 p.m.

DMT1 desde los 12 años (1991)
hbA1c= 5,4

Humalog y Toujeo (mayo 2017)
Humalog y Tresiba (mayo 2016 hasta mayo 2017)
humalog y NPH (desde inicio hasta mayo de 2016)

@"Yesssica_a" in reference to what you say about the endocrine, I do not mention the issue that as few HC is absurd, while seeing that there is good control, there is no need to explain what you eat or leave to eat.

nigiri's profile photo
nigiri
05/10/2018 3:53 p.m.

Puff but 36 gr of hydrates a day seems to me very little if it is true that you want to eat everything, because a lentil salad and an apple are going to 40g, and that all day!I try to eat few carbohydrates to have adjusted glycemia but at least 60-80 gr a day if I take the truth ...

erpla's profile photo
erpla
05/10/2018 4 p.m.

DMT1 desde 1994, Bomba de insulina desde 2016, Freestyle+Miaomiao+Xdrip, última Hemo 5.8%

This very low carbohydrate diets for DM1 seems a bit like going to the doctor because your arm hurts when you lift it and that it tells you, "because you don't lift it."

Pussy then it is easier to adjust the insulin dose if you do not eat hardly HC.And if you are all day eating only lettuce, surely or live 100 years or you think.And if you die (disgust or whatever) it will still be easier for you to control sugar.

The question believed it was to try to make life as "normal" possible.

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
05/10/2018 5:03 p.m.

En 1922 descubrieron la insulina, en 1930 la insulina lenta. ¿Que c*** han hecho desde entonces?

@"Sherpa41" I believe that each one has the right to follow the type of food that most desires for the reasons.I do not miss anything in my diet.I cook rich dishes and enjoy food like anyone.That a few hydrates does not mean always eating the same or without taste or boring.It all depends on how things cook.The problem is that most people associate enjoying food with certain foods and I enjoy nuts or 85% chocolate more than with a cake.
If you need to eat certain things to enjoy the food because great but I do not think you have to say to those who do not think like you and eat different that it is a boring diet and that you die of disgust.
And until there is a treatment that really allows us to eat anything without the glucose raising us because each one who chooses the option that suits him.I of course do not return to the ups and downs of the diets with many hydrates being able to be with flat graphics almost all the time as I am now.That for me is tranquility and allows me to lead a much more normal life than before because I get care of being all the time pending if it comes up or comes down.We each understand for normal life a thing and for me it is not to have to be all day and night pending glucose.If for that I have to give up eating something (which I almost did not ate) because it is not much problem either.

@"Erpla" The study for what he says must have done it with some American Facebook group of those who strictly follow Dr Bernstein because those are the amounts that he recommends but not everyone to do Low Carb is so strict.I as more hydrate depending on the day.They are usually about 50gr but sometimes it is more and sometimes less.

@"Nigiri" I don't tell mine anymore and she doesn't ask me that as well as happy.When I started with this I ever asked him about the subject and I did not see her very receptive so I spend anything else for me to release the roll that this is dangerous and such.So she is delighted with my controls and I still.

@"Luvi" I agree that the best thing would be to improve the treatment but until that happens (I think it will not be soon) because I think it is a good way to wear good control without going crazy.Of course the ideal would be or a cure or an artificial pancreas of truth (not the shit they now call artificial pancreas) but I think we will not see it in many years and until then we will have to control it with what we have.And so far the best I have found and that is less effort and allows me to lead a more normal life, is to control what.

Yessica_A
05/10/2018 5:48 p.m.

@"Sherpa41" Your equal normality seems abnormal to others and vice versa.Each one is each and every two a canoe so please, have a little respect for the opinions of others.

nigiri's profile photo
nigiri
05/10/2018 6:54 p.m.

I criticize that doctors, scientists or Facebook pollsters who have done that "study", recommend this.It's like wanting to return to what diabetics did before the invention of glucometers.

I don't get what each person does by their own initiative.And by "normal" I mean what most people do.

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
05/10/2018 7:17 p.m.

I am quite agreeing with @Sherpa41 the truth.There is nothing like restricting oneself x taste and not out of necessity.It is like the one who becomes Vegearian because he feels like it, because ole!What I do not like is to restrict myself out of necessity or because I am not able to adjust insulin, it is that each one can do what you want and be well controlled.

erpla's profile photo
erpla
05/11/2018 11:14 a.m.

DMT1 desde 1994, Bomba de insulina desde 2016, Freestyle+Miaomiao+Xdrip, última Hemo 5.8%

Well, I don't see it as a restriction, but as one more option.It is clear that you can eat everything telling the hydrates and putting us insulin, but if you want to have more flat curves you have the option of eating few hydrates.The information we had before is that eating few hydrates was harmful and now they are seeing that no, because welcome is this option.
Another thing is what a type of food or another means for each person.If your favorite food is vegetables, fruits, nuts, legumes ... you can make that diet without considering it diet.Now, if you love refined sugars, bread, pasta, pizzas, etc., of course it will be a restrictive diet.Or if you eat sweets for anxiety.

I personally have to have this information.

A health

Maritxu22's profile photo
Maritxu22
05/11/2018 11:39 a.m.

DM1 desde abril 2006. 33años
Tresiba:12-14
Fiasp a demanda
Dexcom G6

Última HbA1c: 6% (junio)

@"Maritxu22" Totally agree with you.I do not see it as a restriction because most of the things with a lot of hydrate would not eat them anyway if I did not have diabetes because they do not seem healthy.
In the end it is one more option to be able to choose and that each one does what they want.What is fine is that they take studies to demonstrate that there is no risk in doing so and will not cause you health problems and then each one decides.And if the endocrine saw it as an option and helped you in the process of change because it would be milk but for that there is still a lot.
In the end that has to have the last word of what to do with your health is the patient and within the possible options they should let us decide, not to tell us to do it in a concrete way because it is considered normal.I see nothing normal to feed on refined cereals and sugars but neither for someone with diabetes nor for someone healthy.And I would certainly not choose that option even if it was healthy.

Yessica_A
05/11/2018 1:53 p.m.

It is not that every time you talk about this diet, you only put the refined sugars and cereals as an example (and pizza).

The paella, the integral rice, the bread and the comprehensive pasta, the quinoa, barley, cuscous, millet ... there are many foods quite high in HC that gives great pleasure to take and that the healthy people take.

And although we can generate more diabetic glucose control difficulties, in my case I prefer to continue taking them.

I am very envious to hear my non -diabetic friends say that they never really take fruits or vegetables and are much healthier than I take every day.I would only miss that.

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
05/11/2018 2:32 p.m.

What worries me of the low hydrates diets is the increase in protein, which is not the best for the kidney ...

Regina's profile photo
Regina
05/11/2018 4:01 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.