{'en': 'Is there discrimination against people with diabetes?', 'es': '¿Hay discriminación hacia las personas con diabetes?'} Image

Is there discrimination against people with diabetes?

_Tacker_'s profile photo   08/29/2022 2:49 a.m.

It is not my case, but that of a lot of people with whom I find myself, either on the street or in the forums.

I don't understand how they treat themselves as beings who have to hide from others ...

If I remember, I remember a girl in the gym who hid how the sensor could not see.

By saying "you are a diabetic like me," he asked me not to tell anyone because in his country they discriminated and did not want the same to happen in Spain.

I have also read diabetic people saying that we should not inject insulin in public or in a place where someone sees us.According to them, we must hide ...

Others, who deserve all my respect, are those who, after years testing capillary glucose or injecting insulin into a separated place because they were educated, do not dare to normalize their situation.

There are people who do not even take the sensors of the sensors in public, according to them, for which they will say, much less are injected insulin or the capillary test with lancets and strips are done ...

There are more diabetic cases that get stones on their own roof, something that I personally do not understand.It is as if to take a paracetamol people hide.

A couple of days ago, on a trip to Toledo, in the Alcazar I saw a girl who was trembling and almost fell to the ground for a dizziness.I recognized symptoms that sounded to me familiar.

I approached and offered him help, I gave him glucose that he carried for an army, he accepted it and waited for him to recover.And now comes the good: by improving, he tells me "Please, don't tell my boyfriend, if you see me with him, I'm diabetic."

I told her that this was a warning and that there was a person who knew how to help her;If he didn't tell him, another day he could cost him expensive.

This girl is what has driven me to start this issue.I was personally like a month injecting myself in the bathroom, but I am not a stingy or a outcast and went to hide.

I do not go with a megaphone saying "I am diabetic and I puncture", but I am not ashamed and I take it naturally.To those who ask me, I don't have a hard time explaining that this gives me life, and whoever looks and puts faces ... you already imagine what your opinion cares.

Each person is a world, but it is not to hide.

And if someone bothers us that we take care of ourselves normally, that a little sensitivity is bought ...

Has anyone seen any case?

_Tacker_'s profile photo
_Tacker_
08/29/2022 2:49 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

At first it is normal to be ashamed but over time, that shame is disappearing because you understand that your health is above what they will say.It is best to meet people with the same disease, RRSS, stay ... etc and so, the mentality changes faster.In my case, I put the sensors in view with colored tape to see even more: D

macarron_con_diabetes's profile photo
macarron_con_diabetes
08/29/2022 8:40 a.m.

DM1 desde Julio 1992 (con 11 años).
Bomba Medtronic 780G con Novorapid.
HbA1c: 5,9% (Octubre 2022), TIR 91%

In these things, experience is a degree, and the diabetological education of the people you have.

For many years I had to make trips to the WC of the restaurants and/or bars to put the insulin, or look at the glucose level, according to the people around me I have known me more, I no longer make those trips, I put myselfInsulin directly sitting on the table, I usually hide it a bit with the backpack or bag, because it is not an expor it to everyone, but if someone sees me, I don't care.

I think that it is part of normalization the fact that people around know what involves living with diabetes, everyone finds very normal for someone to take a pill, the injection is no longer so common, so rejection.

In this sense, I believe that the visualization of patches with glucose sensors, make us a great favor, because in a very general way, they visualize diabetes, without being something intrusive or that generates rejection, in any case, generates cusiosity and offersThe opportunity to ask you, explain and educate people.

fer's profile photo
fer
08/29/2022 10:12 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

He has never been ashamed, perhaps because he is already an adult.If you are not ashamed to take a paracetamol, you should not give it insulin either.

isabelbota's profile photo
isabelbota
08/29/2022 10:17 a.m.

DM 2 con páncreas agotado desde diciembre 2020. 51 años entonces.
HG diciembre 2020: 15.9. Última HG: julio 2024 5.8
Abasaglar 9 unidades. Metformina, 1000/0/1000. Humalog junior: 2 unid en desayuno y luego en función de lo que coma.

I am not ashamed either.I try to put the insulin discreetly in the restaurants.In summer it is very easy because I put it in my thigh and how the table covers you or shows.
The other day, in a restaurant, they put us on a super table stuck to those next door;In fact, it surprised me, since before the Covid I had not eaten so close to other diners, there was hardly any space between tables.With that panorama, I went to the bathroom to click, not because I am shame, but in case others could bother them;We were so glued that maybe he punctured them with the ball if he neglected me, hahaha.

Ensalada's profile photo
Ensalada
08/29/2022 10:25 a.m.

LADA desde septiembre de 2021
Toujeo y Fiasp
Aprendiendo

Isabelbota said:
has never been embarrassed, perhaps because it is already an adult.If you are not shame

Me neither.The only thing I try to be discreet but not as shame.My brother, for example, is dizzy with seeing blood, so if for example if I am in a bar or restaurant I put the
Leg meter for example.

Nila's profile photo
Nila
08/29/2022 10:38 a.m.

Diabetes desde 03/15
Lantus
MODY 3
HG octubre 2021: 5,7; junio 2021: 6,5; 2020: 6,7; 2019: 6,7. 2018: 6,4

I do not understand the paracetamol, but if it is true that I have lived at work at work there is discrimination on the part of people who like them and call you "sugar" or people who in the coffee machine look at you as bad ifYou take coffee with sugar, it is that look of you you will know you are diabetic, that I have only taken it with sugar when I am or I notice low, I always in the restaurants I go to the WC but if there are few people I put it on the table insulin, do not hide it but at work or other areas of life if, it is so hard to seem, not because of the disease itself, by the people who are very bad

Rogerix's profile photo
Rogerix
08/29/2022 10:44 a.m.

None shame.
Where I get caught and whoever is.
He who does not want, not to look.

There are worse things that we socialize in some way such as enduring the regeaton at full volume in the streets, squares, subway, beaches ... crimes in ethyl coma lying on the sidewalks, public toilets full of coca, ... in short ...

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
08/29/2022 12:12 p.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

That girl who has not told the boyfriend, nor do I see it normal ..., you can't hide in a serious relationship.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
08/29/2022 12:18 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

We are going to see, with forgiveness of the phrase, that is the same as what happened to the one who endured the farts. At any more, all God was found. It is not about exaggerating, but you have to take things as they are.Looking at the sensor (I carry it in the arm) in a restaurant for example, no one knows, it is not that it hides, but it is a very simple thing to do it, or put insulin at a given time in the belly and being sitting.Ah!Except a neighboring neighbor who saw the sensor for the first time and wondered if it was for the velutinas ... ???

cacharro's profile photo
cacharro
08/29/2022 4:24 p.m.

pot said:
let's see, with forgiveness of the phrase, that is equal to what happened to the one who endured the farts. At any more, all God could be found out. It is not aboutExaggerate, but you have to take things as they are. To look at the sensor (I carry it in my arm) in a restaurant for example, no one knows, it is not that it hides, but it is a very simple thing to do it, orput insulin at a given time in the belly and being sitting.except a neighboring neighbor who saw the sensor for the first time and wondered if it was for the velutines ... ???

You have made me look for velutinas, hahahaha, anti wasps ...... Flip

_Tacker_'s profile photo
_Tacker_
08/29/2022 6:02 p.m.

ruthbia said:
none shame.
Where I get caught and whoever is.
He who does not want, not to look.

There are worse things that we socialize in some way such as enduring the regeaton at full volume in the streets, squares, subway, beaches ... crimes in ethyl coma lying on the sidewalks, public toilets full of coca, ... in short ...

Circulating and concise, hahahaha, in the WC we can find so many things that best not to enroll them that we would have the round of a two three, with respect to the reggaeton I agree, especially when I have neighbors of the most lost places in America with their tribal music.
In the buffet of La Gavia a guy told me that if I gave him some morphine when he saw me click, to freak out that the uncle would be thinking.
The looks in the gym are the funny cane, I want to tell more than one@ that I think I am puncturing myself ..... there are those who have asked me insulin feathers without being diabetic to prick.

_Tacker_'s profile photo
_Tacker_
08/29/2022 6:11 p.m.

I have always done what I needed (look at glycemia, click, etc.) in a natural way where I was.

And if the rest use their insulin when they are going to eat, we also have the right.What bothers them?More bothers me to have to click for life and here I am, riding much less drama than who complains or looks bad.Worst things we will have seen in a restaurant, I don't want to open that melon that the stomach stir ...
On the other hand, the bathrooms are not always like to use them: if you have to support something it is disgusting (and that is where to do it!), Some are very small, dark ... I do not know, I think my health is goingYou're welcome and catch an infection does not enter my plans.

Diabetes is not a disease for which we have to be ashamed and I think that it will not hide will make people stop seeing it as something bad.Because it is not.

Tam's profile photo
Tam
08/29/2022 7:22 p.m.

Diabetes tipo 1 desde los 28. Cuando quedo con mis amig@s siempre llego tarde, en la diabetes no iba a ser diferente 😅 También tengo hipotiroidismo, asma y alergias varias... soy una pupas.

Levemir y Fiasp
Freestyle Libre 2
Última HbA1c: 6 (Marzo 2023)

I just returned on vacation and I have seen many sensors.It seems very good that the disease is normal and that people are aware that we are many.If type 2 diabetics also prescribed the sensor, how many people the disease affects could be verified.

I have always punctured in public and when I needed it.In restaurants I leave the reader and insulin at the table.If there is a friend of a friend who does not know me, I explain that I am going to click on the abdomen, that it will not even see it (I usually cover the table), but that if it gives it a thing to imagine it, to tell me becauseI can do it in the bathroom.I have never met someone to tell me to do it elsewhere.Moreover, I usually show the needle because many times the imagination plays more than what it really is.Almost nobody sees her, they frown to appreciate her.I think that in general you think more about the heparin needle that is much longer.

If I wear a dress and I have no choice but in my arm, I turn a little, but I really think we do it very fast.In the street I have punctured many times.I stop, I put myself against the wall and do it.Even in the subway being sitting and with people in front.I put my bag in front and proceed.

In Pilates everyone sees the sensor and some ask.There is always the doubt of whether I'm quitting smoking.To all of the class I have explained that it has some alarms (La Alta La Quito) and that if it sounds it is that I have to stop and drink glucose.And when it happens, both the teacher and the students continue with the class and I do the exercises again when I see it convenient.And so, I think, it is how things are normalized, without hiding it and giving the necessary explanations.

When I am also at class, I also remove the high alarm, never the low one.He has ever sounded.I have spent the reader naturally and according to the value I saw or I have continued to give the class or have stopped and said "I have to take glucose, now I continue."And that's it.Thanks to that attitude, some student has told me "teacher, she is sounding to you" and see how good that I will let me know because I do not always have a pocket to keep it, I leave it in my bag and I move a lot through the classroom and how I put it inVibrator, I don't always hear it.

I also suppose, as you have pointed out some, that this attitude of mine is due to my age (my beginning was a month before 50. Take gift!) And that I have a job that they will not discriminate against me for having DM1.And that's why I think it's a disease that should be seen.Do not fly a flag, but I do live it with the naturalness that you need to have to click when you need it.

Palomilla's profile photo
Palomilla
09/04/2022 7:38 p.m.

DM1 desde abril 2018.
Toujeo y Fiasp.
Primero, Dexcom G4, luego, FreeStyle 2 (SS), ahora, Dexcom One (SS).

My with me, we will be all the diabetics so narcissistic, what do you think?

andrespmat's profile photo
andrespmat
09/04/2022 7:57 p.m.

The same as any other person with a 100% operational pancreas, I suppose.But here we talk about our lives with diabetes, not that of the fifth neighbor.

Tam's profile photo
Tam
09/04/2022 11:38 p.m.

Diabetes tipo 1 desde los 28. Cuando quedo con mis amig@s siempre llego tarde, en la diabetes no iba a ser diferente 😅 También tengo hipotiroidismo, asma y alergias varias... soy una pupas.

Levemir y Fiasp
Freestyle Libre 2
Última HbA1c: 6 (Marzo 2023)

Being an adult I never felt shame but in adolescence and preteen, I hid it.It was not so much a matter of shame was more the rejection of constantly asking me things, having to give explanations of whether I ate one thing or another, that they treated me differently ... I hated it.
Now, indiscreet people are still bothering but I punctuate anywhere and I carry it naturally.

nigiri's profile photo
nigiri
09/05/2022 2:28 p.m.

DM1 desde 1990 - Fiasp y Toujeo - HG: 6,1

Well, in my case, I in the restaurants if I click on the table.However, I try not to be very striking, some waiter who has seen me has given him a repair and I understand it.So I try to cover the table or look for a moment when the situation is calm.

As for the sensor, I don't hide it but I'm not a fan of him either.It is a break.Let's see if the new generations FL3 and Dexcom7 arrive in Spain soon.

Josemibi's profile photo
Josemibi
09/06/2022 10:53 a.m.

Db1 desde Diciembre 2007.
Fiasp y Tresiba.
FreeStyle Libre 2

A few months ago I am, but I have normalized it, I do not shed the four winds that I am going to prick but I do it without hiding, sometimes the low alarm sounds waiting for the children in the school and with total normality II have passed the mobile through the sensor;There are people who look at me out of course, they will think that I am a ciborg ... hahahaha but many already know what happens to me ....

Cassie's profile photo
Cassie
09/06/2022 1:42 p.m.

Cassie said:
I have been normalized for a few months, but I have not chop the four winds that I am going to prick but I do it without hiding, sometimes I sound like the alarm of the alarm ofI low waiting for children in school and with total normality I have passed my mobile through the sensor;There are people who look at me outdated, they will think that I am a ciborg ... hahahaha but many already know what happens to me ...

A friend told me that two mothers caught her attention because she was seen the "white pot", I don't know what they would think it was, but less bad that he did not puncture right there ,,,, hahahajajajajajajaja

_Tacker_'s profile photo
_Tacker_
09/06/2022 6:04 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.