{'en': 'Why do people with diabetes feel more heat?', 'es': '¿Por qué las personas con diabetes sienten más calor?'} Image

Why do people with diabetes feel more heat?

fer's profile photo   04/18/2024 9:48 a.m.

Hello everyone!

Maybe you have noticed (I mean those who have diabetes) in these heat days, you may feel more intensely high temperatures.You are not alone in this, it is a common effect due to the peculiarities of our body and the way it manages insulin and thermal regulation.

Damage to nerve and blood vessels that sometimes accompanies diabetes can alter the function of our sweat glands.This means that we cannot cool our bodies as efficiently as someone without diabetes, putting ourselves at a greater risk of suffering a heat stroke or complications with our insulin.

And did you know that we dehydrate faster?

If we do not drink enough liquids, our blood sugar levels can increase, and high sugar levels mean that we will need to urinate more often.

In addition, heat can make insulin absorb faster, which can sometimes lead to hypoglycemia.

So what can we do?

Here are some suggestions that I personally find useful:

- Drink a lot of water, and avoid alcoholic beverages, with caffeine or sugary.
- Regularly check our blood sugar levels.
- Opt for light and baggy clothes.
- Protect our heat medications, especially insulin.
- Stay in fresh or heated spaces as much as possible.

I hope these tips help us to take the days of very hot.

Do you have any strategy or advice that you would like to share?

Take care of you and keep you fresh.

A hug to all.

fer's profile photo
fer
04/18/2024 9:48 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

I have broken the thermostat since I am diabetic.Before I was cold at all hours, and now I am Doña Calores.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
04/18/2024 9:35 p.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

I thought it only happened to me and I didn't blame my diabetes.This last summer of 2023 for me has been the worst and that there has been no winter I have had a really bad time and that I live in the north.I fear this 2024 the weather as it will come.Thanks @Fer for your knowledge ...

Pyrri's profile photo
Pyrri
04/19/2024 2:51 a.m.

Diabetes Tipo 2 (2014) con 38 años - Neuropatía Diabética (2013) - Polineuropatía Diabética sensitiva axonal moderado-grave en miembros inferiores (2021) - Jubilado en 2022 con 45 años. (Synjardy (Mettformina) - Trulicity - Ozempic - Gabapentina). HBA1c: 4,5%. Discapacidad del 35% - Presbicia con 45 años (ya no veo de cerca, pero no hay retinopatía diabética en los ojos). Abuela materna y Abuela paterna e tíos diabéticos tipo 1

First news that I have, the opposite happens to me, I am very cold!

Vero83's profile photo
Vero83
04/19/2024 9:09 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

It happens to me as @Pyrri de Natural I am already being hot immediately, then I think that the 26 years already of diabetes, or the age (you see) add a plus of "hot" ... hahaha

@Vero83 Can it be that you are still very young, or that you don't have been with diabetes so much time?

fer's profile photo
fer
04/19/2024 10:17 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

The heats came to me with menopause, diabetes has not added anything new.
I walked in shorts from April to October.Sometimes I cross people with feathers 🤣🤣 (which I don't see normally at 18/20 degrees)

isabelbota's profile photo
isabelbota
04/19/2024 10:48 p.m.

DM 2 con páncreas agotado desde diciembre 2020. 51 años entonces.
HG diciembre 2020: 15.9. Última HG: julio 2024 5.8
Abasaglar 9 unidades. Metformina, 1000/0/1000. Humalog junior: 2 unid en desayuno y luego en función de lo que coma.

It would be easier to say what works well for us and does not spoil for diabetes.

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
04/19/2024 11:58 p.m.

En 1922 descubrieron la insulina, en 1930 la insulina lenta. ¿Que c*** han hecho desde entonces?

Everything is good news .../

I am very, very hot, extremely hot.Since I am diabetic I remain extremely hot.In summer I can't even put a cream on my face, and I don't say makeup ... it happened really badly with heat.

Emily's profile photo
Emily
04/21/2024 2:56 p.m.

Diabetes post quirúrgica desde el 02/03/17, Toujeo, Novorapid, y ahora también metformina después de las comidas.
Freestylelibre 2 desde mediados de diciembre 2021, que me lleva loca.

I train all year at the Gym in short underpants.No mesh, they give me more than heat, anguish.
And I have said panties because it has to be a loaf pants, that the air circulates.

Ensalada's profile photo
Ensalada
04/21/2024 4:24 p.m.

LADA desde septiembre de 2021
Toujeo y Fiasp
Aprendiendo

It happens to me the same!
Hahaha, people tell me that with the few "chichas" that I have, they don't understand how I can't go cold by going shortly almost all year, hahahaha.
I do mtb and I can spend almost all year riding with my shorts.
Well nothing, natural heating that we have incorporated 😅

Shark's profile photo
Shark
04/21/2024 6:06 p.m.

fer said:
happens to me as @pyrri de Natural I am already heat immediately, then I think that the 26 years already of diabetes, or the age (you see)They add a plus of "hot" ... hahaha

@Vero83 Could it be that you are still very young, or, that you do not have been with diabetes so much time?

Hi Fer I am 40 years old, I am young, but not so much and I have almost 32 with diabetes ...

Vero83's profile photo
Vero83
04/22/2024 9:07 a.m.

I live in the Guadalquivir Valley.Imagine in summer.I have never had a special problem with heat.Maybe I get worse with the cold.

Sandman's profile photo
Sandman
04/22/2024 10:36 a.m.

I have not noticed that change.I badly tolerate the mediterranean wet heat and in winter I am not cold.At least really does, what does not usually happen

Joan111's profile photo
Joan111
04/22/2024 3:47 p.m.

What I tolerate badly, very bad, is the cold.The heat is usually carried well, it has to be very hot (or storm embarrassment, I don't care about the temperature) to get it wrong.I always say that it is not hot if there is no 40ºC in the shadow ...

cgs's profile photo
cgs
04/22/2024 5:37 p.m.

Diagnosticada de DM en enero de 2019, con tres generaciones (yo sería la cuarta) de diabéticos tipo 1 en la familia
En principio DM2 por resistencia a la insulina asociada a SOP (sin tener en cuenta los antecedentes familiares)
De momento, solo con Forxiga y Rybelsus (7mg) por la mañana
La glucosa hace lo que le da la gana
Ultimas Hemos: 7,2 (26/12/2023); 6,7 (12/2/2023, al mes de empezar con Rybelsus 3mg)
Última hemo: 6

I am from Malaga, I have raised on a last floor without air conditioning.I endure the heat very well ... the cold is my Achilles heel.

JuanSolo's profile photo
JuanSolo
04/22/2024 8:03 p.m.

Hello, I have been with diabetes for 40 years and my thermostat still works is the first time I hear that I would say that I am cold.And I also drink.I don't know where you have taken that information.

YaizaJ's profile photo
YaizaJ
04/28/2024 2:57 p.m.

I guarantee the study.
Winter, spring and autumn, "well.
But lately these summers ... change me to humor.
It is one thing to be hot, and endure like all heat waves ... and another thing is that I have come to have an anxious to leave home because I can't live without air ... it can be exaggerated, I admit it, but it isI can't endure it and of course the levels fired ...
I blame it for diabetes, although it is true that my thyroid is not going well ... I am a slim of virtues hear!

SilviaGRZ's profile photo
SilviaGRZ
04/28/2024 4:08 p.m.

Silvia (España)
Fiaps + Insulatard
Díabética desde los 4 años. Ahora tengo 37.
Hbg 6'9..

Frankly, I have been diabetic for more than 50 years and I have never felt that I had more or less heat than the people around my environment.

I don't know if this type of threads are of some help, but it seems to me not.

Cristóbal Cortés's profile photo
Cristóbal Cortés
04/28/2024 6:16 p.m.

I can less with heat every year.I don't know if it will be for diabetes, for age or because I am in quite low shape.

But this summer I am having a very bad time.

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
08/08/2024 3:43 p.m.

En 1922 descubrieron la insulina, en 1930 la insulina lenta. ¿Que c*** han hecho desde entonces?

I can be cold, can it be some nervous affectation?

Vero83's profile photo
Vero83
08/09/2024 9:24 a.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.