{'en': 'Why do people with diabetes feel more heat?', 'es': '¿Por qué las personas con diabetes sienten más calor?'} Image

Why do people with diabetes feel more heat?

fer's profile photo   04/18/2024 9:48 a.m.

I have been with diabetes for 5 years and I have not noticed that this has influenced to have more or less heat.It is true that now, in general, I am hotter than before, although I do not know if this is due to age or that I have started with menopause.Anyway, I have no hot flash or anything, so I think it is increasingly hot in all places :(

Carussa's profile photo
Carussa
08/22/2024 8:24 a.m.

DM1 desde octubre de 2019 | Toujeo + Fiasp | FreeStyle | febrero 2023: HbA1c 5,7

fer said:
Hello everyone!

Maybe you have noticed (I mean those who have diabetes) in these heat days, you may feel more intensely high temperatures.You are not alone in this, it is a common effect due to the peculiarities of our body and the way it manages insulin and thermal regulation.

Damage to nerve and blood vessels that sometimes accompanies diabetes can alter the function of our sweat glands.This means that we cannot cool our bodies as efficiently as someone without diabetes, putting ourselves at a greater risk of suffering a heat stroke or complications with our insulin.

And did you know that we dehydrate faster?

If we do not drink enough liquids, our blood sugar levels can increase, and high sugar levels mean that we will need to urinate more often.

In addition, heat can make insulin absorb faster, which can sometimes lead to hypoglycemia.

So what can we do?

Here are some suggestions that I personally find useful:

- Drink a lot of water, and avoid alcoholic beverages, with caffeine or sugary.
- Regularly check our blood sugar levels.
- Opt for light and baggy clothes.
- Protect our heat medications, especially insulin.
- Stay in fresh or heated spaces as much as possible.

I hope these tips help us to take the days of very hot.

Do you have any strategy or advice that you would like to share?

Take care of you and keep you fresh.

A hug to all.

Hi @Fer then if it is the opposite, I feel cold of more that can mean?

Another doubt, when people put under "without complications" is because when the pupil dilates us to see background, electromyographs, urine analysis, etc. they don't get anything?That is, as if you were not diabetics?

Vero83's profile photo
Vero83
08/23/2024 10:23 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.