{'en': 'New recommendations in insulin injection techniques', 'es': 'Nuevas recomendaciones en técnicas de inyección de la insulina'} Image

New recommendations in insulin injection techniques

DiabetesForo's profile photo   11/05/2010 2:13 p.m.

Fruit of a bibliographic review and a job of 127 professionals, sponsored by the BD brand (needles), some of the recommendations related to insulin injections have been modified.

The study revolves around the prevention of intramuscular injections, causing hypoglycemia.

As a curiosity: the first diabetic to be punctured insulin was called Leonard Thompson;Banting and Best Discoverers of insulin, first tested with a dog that the pancreas were removed and when they found that the experiment worked, Leonard Thompson was injected insulin with a 40 mm needle: shock :: Shock:

Before such a puncture:-/ then they passed to an 18 mm.

The old practitioners, punctuated insulin at home, carried an grinding machine to sharpen the needle ... used it for each patient, after boiling it.

The needle reuse rate currently in our country is 4. that is, each patient reuses each needle an average of 4 times: shock :: Shock :: twisted :: twisted:

Current studies show that there is only a distance of 2 mm until reaching the subcutaneous area so 4 mm needles are enough for most people.A greater needle size more probability of intramuscular injection.

It is curious to see how the thickness of the skin of a newborn (up to 1 year) is equal to that of a 12 or 13 -year -old child.Between the first and 12/13 years there is less space in the subcutaneous zone and the muscles are much closer to the epidermis, therefore the danger of intramuscular injections is much greater.

Growth things.

Long needle and technique recommendations according to patient group:

- Needle length: 4mm, 5 mm, 6mm and 8mm syringe for all people, including obese people.With pinch on thighs and arms for thin people and children;along with an angle of 45 degrees on thighs and arms.
- Injections in adults can be 90 degrees (straight angle with the skin) with needles of 4.5 and 6 mm ... without the need for pinch.
- Pellizco mandatory if 8 mm needles and 45 degree angle are used
- There is no evidence that needles of size greater than 8 mm are more effective for insulin injection.

As you can see, the 12 mm needles will disappear and the 4 mm will be marketed soon.

Insulins and injection areas

Ultra -grapid insulins (Novorapid, Humalog, Apidra), Slow insulins (Lantus, Levemir) and LPG1 (Exenetide, Byetta, Victoza, Liraglutide) can be injected into any injection zone, absorption speed does not vary depending on the area ...It the same arms, legs, abdomen ... much more influential is to prick in areas where they do not have lipodystrophies.

Human insulins (NPH, Actrapid, Insulatard, Humulin, Mixtard) are more sensitive to absorption according to the injection zone.If used as basal they should be used in thighs and buttocks to slow the absorption.

If the dose of insulin to be injected is high (greater than 40 insulin units) should be done in 2 doses.It doesn't matter the type of insulin as it is.When doses greater than 40 units are injected there is a danger of overflow, let's say that the skin is not able to store more than 40 units and overflows (even overflowing insulin).

In these cases it is advisable to distribute the dose in 2 punctures of 20.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
11/05/2010 2:13 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Owash, thank you very much.
If I do what they recommend the 8 mm needle there is plenty of: Oops: and Angel that puts 47 of Lantus would have to wear 21 or 22 unds in two punctures: Evil :.No?

DiabetesForo
11/05/2010 3:38 p.m.

Ok ... you know that I don't know how to divide, :)) would be 23 or 24 unds.

DiabetesForo
11/05/2010 3:44 p.m.

:)) :))

I have been with the 5 mm needles for almost 3 weeks and to my surprise the glycemia are normal and no incidence ... I have eliminated almost 100% the pinch, except in thighs ... Angel is thinner than me, so sureThat those of 5mm are going well.

The dose distributing when it is high, yes, that is what the theory says ... 47 units is enough, but if the glycemia are normal and there have been no insulin escape events:-//
Add 1 more prick, it's always a reason for deep reflection

DiabetesForo
11/06/2010 3:33 a.m.

Amazed I stay.I use 8 mm needles always, I have stopped using pinch (nobody told me that it was necessary the last time I asked) and no one ever quoted me or above dividing insulin into blocks of two, although I have been putting meup to 50 u.of Lantus ...

The other day I also learned that the lancets of the capillary measures should be changed with each glucose measure ... They told me to change it every day.

móntrial's profile photo
móntrial
11/06/2010 9 a.m.

How interesting and what useful.By the way, is this applicable to the pump insulin cateters?

mornita's profile photo
mornita
11/06/2010 3:41 p.m.

Possss I'm not very put on the topic bombs ... but I think I remember that the smallest cannula was for 5 or 6 mm

As the catheter is also subcutaneous, theoretically a size from 3 mm would be more than enough ... but I already say that in the theme of pump I go fish.
I guess a larger size will be needed so that the cannula does not get out ...

I will ask to see it.

DiabetesForo
11/07/2010 3:40 a.m.

Thanks for the information Owash.Very interesting.
A Diabetologist from Holland has told me that according to a standard at European level, all diabetic people must be injected with a 6mm needle regardless of their weight and for their position that for each insulin injection different needle is used.In the health center that corresponds to me in Madrid almost never have 6mm because they say they are for children and newborns and others give us 8mm.

maravisa's profile photo
maravisa
11/07/2010 4:10 a.m.

Owash, in Roche the smallest catheters are 6mm and they will get them out now, if I remember correctly.As for what says amazing ... totally true.I have used 0.8mm needles since the age of 9 ...

móntrial's profile photo
móntrial
11/07/2010 6:41 a.m.

I always used 5 mm needles and they went very well, now with the pump I have the shortest catheter that is 6 mm.

DiabetesForo
11/08/2010 4:08 a.m.

I use the 6 for a long time.And Pellizco has not lasted for even more ...

What I do is click the lantus in my ass, although it is a complicated area, because simply, I do not get:The most lateral close to your arm.

HanSolo's profile photo
HanSolo
11/08/2010 4:54 a.m.

ISCI / debut: 1986 / HbA1c: 5,5%

I use those of 8mm and I am doing well, taking me pinco, I have not lasted for a long time, at first
In the gut it hurts when I click on, it is an area where I punctu
Greetings,

anabeg's profile photo
anabeg
11/08/2010 9:23 p.m.

For a few days Angel has put the lantus in my ass, well I put it that he does not arrive either, and I put it in two punctures: twisted: what surprises me is that practically every day bleeds a little bit, whyHere he bleeds and in other places right?At the moment we continue with the 8 mm but when I finish I buy the 5 mm.

DiabetesForo
11/09/2010 3:18 a.m.

Hello!!
Overflow is when a little insulin comes out of the skin after puncturing?
It gives me the feeling that happens to me with the Lantus when I click on my arm, although I only put 18 units.
But although I pinched (for now I have only 8mm needles), I punctuunits and if a little liquid is transparent by the puncture ...
I don't know, I'm quite thin (52kg for 1.62cm), I have only dared to click on the abdomen and arm, because on my legs and in gluteo I can hardly pinched, and I'm afraid to prickIn the muscle ...

DiabetesForo
11/09/2010 3:34 a.m.

I have already asked the topic of the cateters ...
Indeed, the little ones are the 6 mm ... recommend putting them straight, not in oblique ... and sites with less fat (legs, abdomen or arms)
If they put themselves in oblique they can have more ease of letting go and can run out of subcutaneous tissue.

Neihs, I would happen to the 5mm, clicking in rectus it is impossible to puncture in muscle ... If you use the 8 mm, it is mandatory to make pinch, although in the ass I do not think you click on muscle.

Paz, it also happens to me, further to the sides of the ass more easily bleeds ... I at least that is my impression.

Why don't you get to the buttock?If I get, you can do it for sure.

6 mm needles are only marketed by the Insupen brand;The BD brand markets so far 5.8 and 12 mm

DiabetesForo
11/09/2010 3:37 p.m.

I will try to go to the 5 or 6 mm.
But as they give them to the health center because I don't know if they will put any paste.On Monday my mother gave two other boxes of 8mm (I could not go, if I had not asked them about the others) and now I have plenty of time ...
In any case, if they don't give them to me, do you know if they are very expensive in the pharmacy?

DiabetesForo
11/10/2010 2:39 a.m.

Why don't you get to the buttock?

I have only ass.Maybe it's for that ... :)) :)) :))

I use those of 6 and indeed, they are insupe, or should say shit ...
After much fight, I got them not buy in Bizkaia, and it turns out that the accumulated stock was sent to my endocrine consultation from the hospital to which I go !!!!!Hala, gather.So all God is with the great BD, and I continue with the disgusting insufficiency.And I have been about two years.But how many bought ???????

HanSolo's profile photo
HanSolo
11/10/2010 4:26 a.m.

ISCI / debut: 1986 / HbA1c: 5,5%

8 mm dB needles leave between 17 and 20 Eurillos of Na ... according to which pharmacies.When I went to Lanzarote I collection because there I got about 14 euros 8)

DiabetesForo
11/10/2010 4:45 a.m.

But don't you give them to you, peace?
Celia has never had problems with that.They have always given him what he needed and more, just in case.

DiabetesForo
11/10/2010 8:18 a.m.

Alea, in the center they give me the Braun, who only screwed in the Lantus, in Humalog it is more complicated to screw them, so and because they do less damage I buy the DB that are a thousand times better.

DiabetesForo
11/10/2010 2:37 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.