{'en': 'Simvastatin and cholesterol', 'es': 'Simvastatina y colesterol'} Image

Simvastatin and cholesterol

pertuak's profile photo   07/08/2011 1:07 p.m.

The issue of statins is quite controversial, it is demonstrated that statins increase insulin resistance with what in our case (whether own or injected) is a point to consider.
Total cholesterol is no longer taken into account but the HDL, LDL, triglycerides and several quotients that indicate the vascular risk.
Even if you have the high LDL, there is a quotient that according to the value, indicates whether they are large and spongy particles of LDL, which are not atherogenic, or dense and small, which they are.
There are certain circumstances in which it is clear that they have to take them, if there is already a personal history of infarction, stroke etc, or in genetic family dysliphyms but the truth is that the issue of insulin resistance, is a factor to take into accountand take statins only for being dB ...
The same endocrine, depending on which, they send or not.

meginer's profile photo
meginer
06/04/2024 4:51 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

meginer said:
The theme of statins is quite controversial, it is demonstrated that statins increase insulin resistance with what in our case (whether own or injected) is a point to consider.
Total cholesterol is no longer taken into account but the HDL, LDL, triglycerides and several quotients that indicate the vascular risk.
Even if you have the high LDL, there is a quotient that according to the value, indicates whether they are large and spongy particles of LDL, which are not atherogenic, or dense and small, which they are.
There are certain circumstances in which it is clear that they have to take them, if there is already a personal history of infarction, stroke etc, or in genetic family dysliphyms but the truth is that the issue of insulin resistance, is a factor to take into accountand take statins only for being dB ...
The same endocrine, according to which, they send or not.

@meginer a couple of weeks ago I had the revision in Valme with my endocrine.

Although the total cholesterol levels have been lowered and the triglycerides level is at the limit but under myin 6 months)

Would you mind if you privately send you my cholesterol data to see your opinion?

I am quite reluctant to take that treatment.

Sandman's profile photo
Sandman
06/04/2024 5:48 p.m.

sandman said:
meginer said:
The theme of statins is quite controversial, it is demonstrated that statins increases insulin resistance with what in what in what in what in what in what in what in what in what in what inOur case (whether own or injected) is a point to consider.
The same endocrine, according to which, they send or not.

@meginer a couple of weeks ago I had the revision in Valme with my endocrine.

Although the total cholesterol levels have been lowered and the triglycerides level is at the limit but under myin 6 months)

Would you mind if you privately send you my cholesterol data to see your opinion?

I am quite reluctant to take that treatment.

I don't mind

meginer's profile photo
meginer
06/04/2024 6:04 p.m.

February 2024 analytics.

My endocrine prescribed me atorvastatin of 20 mg because I have type 1 diabetes and recommend that the cholesterol value is below normal values.I decided to try it for 3 weeks.I am a very active athlete;In summer I cover more than 1000 km a month by bicycle.

My symptoms with atorvastatin were: muscle problems after exercise, accumulation of lactic acid, tiredness, and higher glycemia.I had to modify the insulin of prolonged action, increasing some units and adjusting the rapid insulin, although it consumed the same amounts of food.

Due to these effects, I had to leave the atorvastatin and consulted with my header to see if there was another statin without these adverse effects.Now I have been taking rosuvastatin for a couple of days, with a reduced dose of 20 mg to 10 mg.I have not yet gone to sports because I am recovering from an intervention, but I will tell you how it is doing.

For the problems I experienced with the statin "Atorvastatina", I have investigated and then attached their peculiarities:

Atorvastatin is a medication used to reduce cholesterol levels and prevent cardiovascular diseases.Although it is generally well tolerated, it can cause side effects in some patients.The common and less common side effects of atorvastatin include:

### Common side effects:
1. * Muscle pain * (myalgia).
2. *Headache *.
3. *Nausea *.
4. *Diarrhea *.
5. *Indigestion *.
6. * joint pain * (arthralgia).

### less common but serious side effects:
1. * Myopathy * (muscle damage), which can lead to a more serious condition called rhabdomyolysis.
2. * Hepatotoxicity * (Liver damage), evidenced by elevations in liver enzymes.
3. * Type 2 diabetes * (prolonged use may increase the risk of developing this condition).
4. * Allergic reactions * (skin rashes, pruritus, swelling, breathing difficulty).

### Other potential side effects:
1. *Insomnia *.
2. *Mareos *.
3. *Memory problems *.
4. *Depression *.
5. * Peripheral neuropathy * (damage to peripheral nerves).

It is important that anyone who experiences side effects, especially the most serious, contacts your doctor immediately.The doctor can adjust the dose or change to another medication if necessary.

NEKgatoDULCE's profile photo
NEKgatoDULCE
06/09/2024 2:55 p.m.

Yesssica_a said:
jota said:
these are my values:

Total cholesterol: 222
HDL: 45
LDL: 130
Triglycerides: 237

Except for HDL, other values ​​exceed the recommended.In spite of everything, my endocrine does not give it much importance and has not prescribed anything.However, my head doctor believes it is necessary to take simvastatin.I don't know what to do.

I recommend reading this: Link

"Total cholesterol is not very important. But it helps us to make the total cholesterol ratio / HDL cholesterol, whose result should be less than 4.5.
This parameter does have value. "

"The triglycerides are very important.
They must be below 150 mg/dl, but if you have them below 100 mg/dl, much better. "

"The TG/HDL ratio, of the best markers:

The quotient between your triglycerides and your HDL cholesterol, according to many doctors, is the best cardiovascular risk predictor (together with the CT/HDL ratio).

It is bad to have it above 3, which translates an incipient insulin resistance (belly).It is ideal to have it below 2. "

In your case:

CT/HDLL = 222/45 = 4.93 is above 4.5 recommended
TG/HDL = 237/45 = 5.26 is well above the 2 recommended and above 3 that is bad

Surely with changes in your diet and sport you can get normal values ​​and but the doctor assess to prescribe statins.I would personally take them as a last resort because they have many side effects.

Yesssica_a said:
jota said:
jota said:
these are my values:

Total cholesterol: 222
HDL: 45
LDL: 130
Triglycerides: 237

Except for HDL, other values ​​exceed the recommended.In spite of everything, my endocrine does not give it much importance and has not prescribed anything.However, my head doctor believes it is necessary to take simvastatin.I don't know what to do.

I recommend reading this: Link

"Total cholesterol is not very important. But it helps us to make the total cholesterol ratio / HDL cholesterol, whose result should be less than 4.5.
This parameter does have value. "

"The triglycerides are very important.
They must be below 150 mg/dl, but if you have them below 100 mg/dl, much better. "

"The TG/HDL ratio, of the best markers:

The quotient between your triglycerides and your HDL cholesterol, according to many doctors, is the best cardiovascular risk predictor (together with the CT/HDL ratio).

It is bad to have it above 3, which translates an incipient insulin resistance (belly).It is ideal to have it below 2. "

In your case:

CT/HDLL = 222/45 = 4.93 is above 4.5 recommended
TG/HDL = 237/45 = 5.26 is well above the 2 recommended and above 3 that is bad

Surely with changes in your diet and sport you can get normal values ​​and but the doctor assess to prescribe statins.I would personally take them as a last resort because they have many side effects.

gerardd's profile photo
gerardd
06/09/2024 2:58 p.m.

I agree 100 % with Yesssica_A

gerardd's profile photo
gerardd
06/09/2024 3 p.m.

Gerardd said:
Coincide 100 % with Yesssica_a

Me too.

meginer's profile photo
meginer
06/10/2024 10:29 p.m.

pertuak said:
I am taking 1 20mg simvastatin pill at dinner, and cholesterol and triglycerides figures in my last analytics have been the following:

Cholesterol: 130
HDL: 61
LDL: 59
VLDL: 10
Triglycerides: 48

Given the previous figures, and although in a few days I have an appointment with the endo, and of course I will ask, I would like to know your opinion/experiences about whether stopping taking the simvastatin I can get a LDL not above 100 mg/dl without a varyeating habits, physical exercise ...

I know who should ask is my endocrine but surely some of you have some experience on this subject.

By the way, in the case of simvastatin, any particular laboratory?

Thank you!

Hello.I think that before removing the simvastatin it could be lowered to 10mg/day, you have the very low LDL.
Do not want to remove it so happily, simvastatin not only lowers cholesterol, it also has a glass-protoctor effect that prevents (to some extent) of vascular lesions reducing the probability of cardiac infarctions, neurological stroke, peripheral arteriopathy in the legs, etc.

Lowcarb's profile photo
Lowcarb
06/13/2024 11:45 a.m.

Hijo con 6 años con DM1. Novorrapid, Lantus, FreeStyle.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.