{'en': 'Simvastatin and cholesterol', 'es': 'Simvastatina y colesterol'} Image

Simvastatin and cholesterol

pertuak's profile photo   07/08/2011 1:07 p.m.

I am taking 1 20mg simvastatin pill at dinner, and cholesterol and triglycerides figures in my last analytics have been the following:

Cholesterol: 130
HDL: 61
LDL: 59
VLDL: 10
Triglycerides: 48

Given the previous figures, and although in a few days I have an appointment with the endo, and of course I will ask, I would like to know your opinion/experiences about whether stopping taking the simvastatin I can get a LDL not above 100 mg/dl without a varyeating habits, physical exercise ...

I know who should ask is my endocrine but surely some of you have some experience on this subject.

By the way, in the case of simvastatin, any particular laboratory?

Thank you!

pertuak's profile photo
pertuak
07/08/2011 1:07 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

One of the curious things of simvastatin is the contraindication with grapefruit juice: shock:
No idea why it is like that.

Regarding the laboratory, because you don't worry too much, all presentations are the same ... Ferrer Group, Ratiopharm: Link ... Na-c10a01 >>>

Regarding the values ​​you comment, the desirable in people with diabetes is:

LDL less than 100
HDL, greater than 45
Total cholesterol is less than 135
Triglycerides less than 150

In my opinion you should continue with the medication, not only do you reduce cholesterol levels but do cardiovascular problems ... It is true, that 61 is a low figure but those of us who have diabetes must extreme these parameters, as long as you do not get off moreI would continue with the same.Although of course who has to say is always a doctor because he is the one who has all the information.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
07/08/2011 4:38 p.m.

Total cholesterol ... 144 mg/dl
HDL .................... 49.90 "
LDL .................... 89,24 "
Triglycerides ...... 24,30

With these figures I took simvastatin of 20 mg, but the endocrine told me that in a diabetic the LDL must be below 70, so it prescribed atorvastatin of 80 mg ..

Greetings.

Sorprendido's profile photo
Sorprendido
05/25/2016 8:17 p.m.

Desde 1984 diabético tipo 1
Tresiba al mediodía , Apidra en las comidas.
Glicosiladas alrededor de 6,5 %
"Feliz aquel que reconoce a tiempo que sus deseos no están de acuerdo con sus posibilidades "
Goethe

Total cholesterol ... 156 mg/dl
HDL .................... 52
LDL .................... 90
Triglycerides ...... 70

Taking 10 mg simvastatin.Before I took 20mg but they told me a few years ago that I could happen with the 10mg, and well it is somewhat smaller and enters better :)

About the brand, the one that the pharmacy gives me, the one that they have in stock, I think I have tried several and always tell me that it does the same.It costs me the monthly box € 0.48, so as long as I don't exceed that, the brand does not care.I was in my pharmacy.

I remember that in my debut I had about 140 of total cholesterol and the endocrine of then prescribed the simvastatin, and I all outraged because I had good values, and told me that every diabetic would have to take it for the prevention of cardiovascular problems, and on the one hand it does not cost me much to take it every night, and if any night I forget, I think nothing happens while I don't happen with food.

valky's profile photo
valky
05/27/2016 1:05 a.m.

DM1 Debut diciembre 2004.

@Washash The same contraindication appears in being a medication for the spills, I don't know, but I was very curious:-?

GemaTer's profile photo
GemaTer
05/27/2016 4:10 p.m.

Conviviendo con la diabetes desde 1986
Aviva Combo Junio 2015
Freestyle Enero 2016
Dexcom g4 Octubre 2016
Ultima Hb1ac 5,7

Good morning, could someone tell me that Simvastatin has to do with grapefruit juice?

lidiaem's profile photo
lidiaem
05/31/2016 2:26 p.m.

But the simvastatin takes it for being diabetic or for something else?It is not clear to me

nigiri's profile photo
nigiri
05/31/2016 2:30 p.m.

DM1 desde 1990 - Fiasp y Toujeo - HG: 6,1

@owash @gemater @Valky Does this medication take it for being diabetic or other things?It is not clear to me when reading your posts, all diabetics should we take it?I don't know what medication it is and I don't know if I should ask my endocrine and since I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism I don't know why I have the highest cholesterol than usual and I can't get it down with anything.Greetings and thanks!

nigiri's profile photo
nigiri
06/04/2016 8:17 p.m.

@nigiri I took the atorvastatin that is the same but I am wrong, please correct me if what I say is not correct.These pills are taken to lower cholesterol, you can have high bad cholesterol without being drinking fat.
I get to take 40 mg pills and with the sport I have not taken any pill for many months.
I advise you not to ask in a forum if all the diabetics must take it, it is better that you talk to your doctor and make you an analytical one, if you have the cholesterol that he thinks you have it stop it will prescribe it possibly.
If you go to an endocrine and make you analytics and have not told you to take them that is that you should not take them.Cholesterol looks a lot in us.

jconegar's profile photo
jconegar
06/04/2016 8:54 p.m.

Miembro del equipo moderador del foro.

Ultima prueba realizada:
Maratón San Petesrburgo (Rusia)
https://luchojuntoamidiabetes.blogspot.com/2019/07/maraton-san-petersburgo-rusa-42195-mts.html

Prueba deportiva Ruta de las Fortalezas.
http://luchojuntoamidiabetes.blogspot.com/2019/05/ruta-de-las-fortalezas-2019-54700.html

Facebook: Jorge Moto
Usuario Dexcom G6 y microinfusora Tandem T: Slim X2 Basal IQ

@nigiri The pills I said 'being' have nothing to do with diabetes.They are for the Vartigo, and I have only taken them once and for a week, but I was curious about the grapefruit juice

GemaTer's profile photo
GemaTer
06/04/2016 9 p.m.

Aviva Combo Junio 2015
Freestyle Enero 2016
Dexcom g4 Octubre 2016
Ultima Hb1ac 5,7

@nigiri The pills I said 'being' have nothing to do with diabetes.They are for the Vartigo, and I have only taken them once and for a week, but I was curious about the grapefruit juice

GemaTer's profile photo
GemaTer
06/04/2016 9 p.m.

Aviva Combo Junio 2015
Freestyle Enero 2016
Dexcom g4 Octubre 2016
Ultima Hb1ac 5,7

Hello colleagues, I am very informed about hypercholestemia, there is normal, serious and high risk of infarfo. Today in 5/6/2016 there is a lot of problem with this in the medical centers because the order to prescribe has been givenTo all the simvastatin and if it can be 10 mg.Better, to save not for helping, you have to have a very serious clinical picture to prescribe something else. If you recipe the head doctor just give you 10 mg.I am talking about Crestor that is the best to remove everything c.HDLLDL removes everything but you have to give it the endocrine with the recipe by passing it by the medical inspection, if you see that you get rid of a 20 mg crest.It can with everything, I used to take a 40 mg simvastatin.and Zocor of 20 or 40 mg. I remember well.and everything is over. It is my birth. But I have helped you greeting.

dexpero11's profile photo
dexpero11
06/05/2016 2:48 a.m.

Jose Luis ,diabetico tipo 1 desde 1997.
TRESIBA 16 , Rapida , Novorapid flexpen 4+5+5.
Acabo de empezar llevo 5 dias y noto buenos resultados.
Ultima Hemo 8,pero mi proposito con esta nueva insulina y con la ayuda vuestra ,cambio de endocrino y enfermeras, es bajarlo lo antes posible a 7 o un poco menos.MUCHAS GRACIAS A TOD@S.

@jconegar cito:

"I remember that in my debut I had about 140 of total cholesterol and the endocrine of then prescribed the simvastatin, and I all outraged because I had good values, and told me that every diabetic would have to take it for problem preventionCardiovascular, and on the one hand I don't have a hard time taking it every night, and if any night I forget, I think nothing happens while I don't happen with food. "

Reading this is when I have been confused with this medication and if you have to take it because we are diabetic or for another cause.My cholesterol is within the normal ones but a little higher than I have always had, I understand that if neither the endocrine nor my head doctor have told me anything about it is because I do not need to take anything but when I see these comments I wantedknow

nigiri's profile photo
nigiri
06/05/2016 12:14 p.m.

@Nigeri I don't like talking without being sure to see if any partner can say if atorvastatin or pills that are taken to lower cholesterol harm some body organ.
Thank you all

jconegar's profile photo
jconegar
06/05/2016 1:56 p.m.

Miembro del equipo moderador del foro.

Ultima prueba realizada:
Maratón San Petesrburgo (Rusia)
https://luchojuntoamidiabetes.blogspot.com/2019/07/maraton-san-petersburgo-rusa-42195-mts.html

Prueba deportiva Ruta de las Fortalezas.
http://luchojuntoamidiabetes.blogspot.com/2019/05/ruta-de-las-fortalezas-2019-54700.html

Facebook: Jorge Moto
Usuario Dexcom G6 y microinfusora Tandem T: Slim X2 Basal IQ

Hello, I am also taking atorvastatin and a long time ago, although my cholesterol levels are within normal, but the statins that contain these pills are harming me, I have muscle pain, which do not let me sleep well, now I have been taking for some timeV vitamins and I am noticing something Mejpr, to see if someone happens to him, and he writes some comment.In the pharmacy they also told me that the qu10 is also good,? There is someone who knows something if it's true

pilerela's profile photo
pilerela
06/05/2016 8:06 p.m.

55 años con diabetes tipo 1
insulina tresiba 14 und, y novorapid a demanda
ultima hemo 6.8

As my cardiologist explained, the medications of the statins' family (atorvastatin, simvastatin etc) reduce the production of cholesterol by the liver.

Cholesterol comes from 2 sources: food and the one that produces the liver.Therefore to lower it, you have to take great care of the food (avoid bad fats) and sport (low bad cholesterol and raise the good).If this is not enough and of course under medical prescription, the statins are so that the liver lowers the production of cholesterol.

According to my cardiologist, bad cholesterol (LDL) the lower the better and the good (HDL) the higher the better.Diabetics have a very important cardiovascular risk factor, excess sugar favors the formation of atheroma plates in our arteries, which can be broken and caused.For this reason, diabetics ask us for lower cholesterol levels than non -diabetic people.Normally LDL <70 for diabetics.

He also explained that the side effects of statins can be myalgias (muscle aches).If it happens to you, your thing is to make an appointment with the cardiologist and find an alternative treatment.They have never told me that statins can damage organs, but I don't know if anyone knows anything about this.

albertot's profile photo
albertot
06/05/2016 10:38 p.m.

If you want to read a link that explains the side effects of statins. Link
I have been taking statins for a long time and nothing has happened to me, some say that other barbarities that are necessary, each one who reads the link and takes their opinion.Greetings.

dexpero11's profile photo
dexpero11
06/05/2016 11:40 p.m.

Jose Luis ,diabetico tipo 1 desde 1997.
TRESIBA 16 , Rapida , Novorapid flexpen 4+5+5.
Acabo de empezar llevo 5 dias y noto buenos resultados.
Ultima Hemo 8,pero mi proposito con esta nueva insulina y con la ayuda vuestra ,cambio de endocrino y enfermeras, es bajarlo lo antes posible a 7 o un poco menos.MUCHAS GRACIAS A TOD@S.

My best friend had a terrible reaction to the statins, the whole body was swollen and almost the palm, with 30 years, thin and athlete, non -diabetic and only with high cholesterol for genetics.Now take herbs.

To me the Social Security doctor after telling him that he was afraid of side effects, he has prescribed red rice seeds.

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
06/09/2016 1:37 p.m.

En 1922 descubrieron la insulina, en 1930 la insulina lenta. ¿Que c*** han hecho desde entonces?

Good to all !!!!Well, in my last analytics I have lowered my cholesterol levels.I have gone from 197 to 150 in the total, I have uploaded the good (HDL) from 57 to 71, and I have lowered the evil from 127 to 73;And without taking pills, only with some red rice yeast capsules (I don't put it for not advertising).Another thing is gyted, but for that I put in another post

nacho's profile photo
nacho
06/18/2016 4:30 p.m.

@nacho, don't you matter that you put the brand. Do you buy in pharmacies?

Regina's profile photo
Regina
06/18/2016 10:49 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.