Lantus

Ana82's profile photo   10/27/2010 6:52 a.m.

Hello!
I am a little angry and I don't know what else I can do ....
They changed the time of the Lantus at 12 at night to see if it did not arrive at breakfast and, indeed, it worked.
Values ​​between 80 and 120 before breakfast (with some hiccups too) and values ​​between 80 and 140 before eating (some hiccup here).
Well here but, although the values ​​3 hours after eating are good (between 130 and 180 --- & GT; although I have to say that here I also have some hypo) when the time of the dinner is about 300 (I have had 2days of 400) have cried or not.
Doesn't the Lantus get to me?
I click 10 and I have gradually increased until reaching 14 units (I also tried 15 units but hypoglycemia were much more severe and early)
Will I have become accustomed to this insulin (it has already happened to me with others)?
All the best.

Ana82's profile photo
Ana82
10/27/2010 6:52 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

I do not think you have "accustomed" ..... 5 years ago that I did not use Lantus and used it for a short time because I put the pump soon but the better schedule was at 14 hours coinciding with the food,I got 12 units and I got well to the food, it lasted 24 hours.Nor did it work for me at night or in the morning.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
10/27/2010 7:05 a.m.

I imagine that your case will be different, but what you say happens to me exactly the same, word for word.I have tried Lantus at any time of the day, but it seems that the best time is at night, although I always put it when I went to bed, but now I put it before dinner, to coincide with the novo of dinner, since when I laySometimes difficulties (remove a little more quality of life).And so I am.And I get up perfect, I usually get well to food ... but in the afternoon ... that goes up to infinity and beyond.Years ago I exposed it in the Diabetesjuvenil forum, already desperate, but I have not been able to reach a conclusion.And my doctor has tried everything.

Of course, it may also be that it does not cover you 24 hours, which also happens to certain people (this may also in that case).

But in your case, you are like me, tied, because if both breakfast and food you get well, it is clear that it is your correct dose.Which takes away action possibilities.If you go up the insulin of the food (I did it too), it gives you downturn after eating.
There is another option that I have not tried.It is to click in the middle of the afternoon.How to do it by system is risky (at least in my case, because there are times that I am not high), because to make sure you have no problems, what you can do is snack and click.That can allow you to control the final part of the afternoon that you now have a stop.I never have it because I think that having to snack every day limits me and takes away quality of life.But there are people who may allow it.Try it.

HanSolo's profile photo
HanSolo
10/27/2010 7:11 a.m.

ISCI / debut: 1986 / HbA1c: 5,5%

I have tried all the hours with the Lantus .....
At 9 in the morning, at 11, at 13, at 14 at 15 ......
Nor can I divide it into 2 punctures because then hypoglycemia are bestial.
It is a good idea to put it with dinner (try one more thing I don't care and if it is true that putting it at 12 at night creates a little limitation)
I do not want to snack for two reasons: I'm not hungry (that's the most important) and I don't want to prick more times (it will seem nonsense but it is so) .....
I thank you very much.

Ana82's profile photo
Ana82
10/27/2010 7:44 a.m.

Ana82, I went to dinner, because as I told you, I am less limited to my life.And I think that I am doing well all day except the last part of the afternoon, which is almost always uncontrolled.And I think he doesn't cover me full day.

And then one day I said ... Well, let's try with Levemir.Two punctures a day, but everything is to solve the problem.
Well ... I didn't fix it !!!which caused him to rule out that explanation that insulin did not cover me all day.It must be something else.From what I have read, in addition to the so -called "phenomenon of dawn" where glycemiah at night and first hours of dawn go through the clouds for basically hormones effects, there is also a "sunset" phenomenon that causes what it causeshimself, and I think I can be one of those who suffers it.You may too.Only with an analytical at certain hours of the day we might see what the hell happens in my body or in yours and if the insulin inhibits its action due to something in particular.

And I edit to add what my endocrine told me (one of the people who knows the most of diabetes, of Euskadi).He told me (knowing that I am a meticulous person and concerned about my illness) that given the other figures that I present and the stockings and hemoglobins, that I do not worry, that it is not too important to spend several hours in the latest afternoon when the rest isgood.He explained it technically, but I will not reproduce it here, because, honestly, I do not remember.That calmed my anxiety a little, but every afternoon I have to look at and when I see that it is up, because to repin.Because if not, I reach figures that move between 250 and 330.

HanSolo's profile photo
HanSolo
10/27/2010 8:05 a.m.

Thanks Grondullo.
Tomorrow I have educator (the poor man no longer knows what to do with me), I will teach her my little book and tell her all this to see what she says ----- & GT;It is that the last time I went, he told me that maybe we had to put a mixture in meals (I don't like mixtures !!!!).
And endocrine I don't have until December .......
I used to let him go for a while but above that he gave me allergy (incredible, but yes) the glycemia were not good either.
In short !!!! again thanks.

Ana82's profile photo
Ana82
10/27/2010 8:30 a.m.

And have you not raised the insulin pump?Because I was one of those who did not mind puncturing 4 or 5 times insulin per day, everything was for good control and now I do not think the same, the control is much more comfortable even if it does not seem like it and you live much better by clicking once each4 days .....
GONDROLLO IN MY MODEST OPINION Your endocrine is not right, it may not be too bad to be high if the rest of the time you are fine, but there are other options such as the bomb so that your control is much better why discard it?At least I would try but I would not throw the towel so quickly.

DiabetesForo
10/27/2010 11:26 a.m.

What happened if you click in the morning and increase the dose enough not to wake up high?

Regina's profile photo
Regina
10/27/2010 11:44 a.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

and have you not raised the insulin pump?Because I was one of those who did not mind puncturing 4 or 5 times insulin per day, everything was for good control and now I do not think the same, the control is much more comfortable even if it does not seem like it and you live much better by clicking once each4 days .....
GONDROLLO IN MY MODEST OPINION Your endocrine is not right, it may not be too bad to be high if the rest of the time you are fine, but there are other options such as the bomb so that your control is much better why discard it?At least I would try but I would not throw the towel so quickly.

Prado, the bomb is always a "last resort", and you are considered suitable if there are weight reasons.And having several hours in the afternoon of high figures (not always) is not a reason for prescription.I have no asymptomatic hypos, I have no phenomenon of ALBA, I have no phobia to the punctures, I have no total lack of control.He explained to me that taking into account the years of evolution (I have 24), and given my hemoglobins and my figures, in addition to other indicators (retinal damage, kidney, PCR to see vascular, negative coronary tac ...), has arrivedthe moment of -Textual- "worry more about other things";for the things that, finally, will kill me and the rest of the world;HT and blood fat.That is, vascular damage.He says that it is currently more important for me to have the ta and cholesterol than hemo, recommending that from now on I forget to go to we have less than 6.5% and that 6.5%%.He explained the reason for all that, he talked about things that I no longer remember, of the cardiovascular involvement of a hypoglycemia to a person of 30 or one of 45, etc.And we also cite the topic bomb.But he does not recommend it.A pump is not synonymous with good control.Normally the figures are good because whoever puts it on it was wrong.But the data that managed from studies of people who have begun to use bomb with good previous hemoglobins were not as conclusive as those of the rest.

And I count this now that I have regained lucidity, after a bad time and after having one of my feared post-comida hypos.With a pre 123, and having punctured me at the end of eating, half an hour later, I had 52. What's wrong when you see that in the meter knowing that insulin is starting to chute.I at least spend the fatal.And I fear them.I have put a can of Coca Cola of the pull.Luckily this time has risen moderately fast (although for my vagus stomach, climbing quickly means an hour or more, while anyone traces in fifteen minutes).

PD: Regina, I also tried to prick the Lantus in the morning.But what I got was to get up high.There was no way to get up well.And if you increased the dose, you left over the day.Of all the hours, I saw that the best is the night (in fact, it is the most common time to put the Lantus).

HanSolo's profile photo
HanSolo
10/27/2010 11:52 a.m.

Gondurullo I still disagree;) with your endocrine, I put a bomb with a hem of 5, with good control but at the expense of clicking most of the days 5 times, but my endocrine seemed inhuman that to have good control he click meThat's why the bomb proposed to me because I also knew and knows that I am very scrupulous with my control like you, today and after 5 years I continue with we have not reached 6, with some hicc as another but less than before, before,with more stability and higher quality of life.For my endo, cholesterol and tension and a good hemo and above all that their patients have the best possible quality of life is also fundamental ...: D
The bomb I think should not be only for difficult cases as you say, it should be able to have it all that responsible diabetic and want to take care and improve, especially as a life .... hahaha and do not carry out commission of any laboratory hahaha ....

DiabetesForo
10/27/2010 12:21 p.m.

I go to the rescue of Gondrullo: Mrgreen:

Bombs are expensive, expensive for public health so that both health professionals and patients should be responsible enough and make the appropriate decisions.

In the case of children, I would make it mandatory to a high percentage of affected ... not all but to the majority, and against smaller "mandatory".
It is the only way to achieve a medium -sized control with efficiency and a quality of life of patients and family ... If we consider the economic aspect, the cost of the pump with the benefit is very favorable and indisputable towards the pump.
Let us also add continuous meters, where their economic cost/efficiency is also indisputable.

For the rest of type 1, we must study each case from all points of view, not only from good/bad metabolic control, but also of training for the management of the pump, levels of knowledge of diabetological education, assess psychological aspects such as: Adhesion to treatment, motivation, control locus, social/family support levels ...

In my opinion, there is a good number of firefighters who have improved their metabolic control, not by the pump but for the diabetological education they have received, they have begun to count for rations (which did not do so), 6-8 glycemia are performedEvery day (they did not do them before) and there is a physical objective (the bomb) by which they are motivated and perform everything mentioned.
I'm still waiting to read some study that compares what I am saying.

DiabetesForo
10/27/2010 2:05 p.m.

Hello, from my beginner position, but as a user of Lantus, I also want to leave my experience.
In the beginning I pricked the lantus at breakfast, and there was no way, I arrived altinally the next day, my endo, I changed the time to dinner, and before dinner, I wear the two apidra + lantus, and proven, and proven,I arrive lower in the morning, (if not breakfast before lunch) but yes, my mornings from 12 noon, they are hypos, if I punish little api, I have to correct myself at 2 hours because I have it very high, yes, yesI punctuate myself, I may reach food without a hiccup, you may not .. weighing bread and telling rations, one day I go well, the next day with the same, no.Today 2 hypos, one in the morning after lunch, and another after food.Last week, it was corrections after lunch, values ​​of more than 300 ... How to get something positive from here?What do I stay with?

As a beginner (since April), I am scared to read your comments that you have been for so many years, and you do not know what to do to adjust the insulins, I honestly disregard me ...

As for the theme of the bomb, I cannot speak because I have not used it, but there are so many, and tanks that I read of "firefighters" that are so comfortable with their bomb and do not change it, that I am looking forward to my endocrineI at the opportunity, if it is going to be to improve my quality of life ... whatever it takes, if I see that it does not convince me, I can always return to the punctures.I have never liked to close the doors without first assessing it for myself.And the bomb is one of the things in my life, that one day or another, I will have to value.

Sldos.

IMADIS's profile photo
IMADIS
10/27/2010 3:35 p.m.

With me there was not enough Lantus, putting it in the morning so as not to get high to breakfast the next day.
What Grondullo said, left over during the day but did not cover the needs of the next morning.
Regarding the pump:
I am on the waiting list since August.They estimate that for June next year.
I was not sure to love it but after much information and much contrast it is possible that I need.
My endo and my educator believe that I should put it on.

Ana82's profile photo
Ana82
10/28/2010 5:16 a.m.

Ana, to see if that bomb comes as soon as possible, I am sure that those problems are ended ...: D

Prado, completely agree with what you say ... you know, hahahaIais for her, as many people have done, you do not see it necessary, do not see it useful or whatever, I don't understand if you have not tried it, but in short, each one is like 'is: D

Velia's profile photo
Velia
10/28/2010 5:42 a.m.

De los buenos tiempos, siempre quiero más...
Mamá de Ángela, ¡16 añitos, fiera!. Debut: octubre de 2003.
Bomba insulina Medtronic Paradigm Veo desde junio 2005
Última hemo 6.1

let's see.Logically, what I have said is the "official version" in who should have a bomb.And I, like Owash, think that you can't put bombs right and left.That first will have to have those who have a bad hemo, asymptomatic hypos, phenomenon of ALBA, decompensated diabetes and that have completely exhausted the possibilities provided by multidosis therapy.That is why I am not a bomb candidate.And especially when I have been with diabetes for 24 years, and I have no microvascular complications.Therefore, it is why glucose figures or specific peaks begin to pass to the background, and you have to focus on macrovascular complications, and in that field, HTA and dyslipidemia are the keys.
In what I am more blunt is in the absolute need of the bombs in children, where its efficacy has been demonstrated absolutely when managing the crazy glycemic curve of a child.There, no doctor should doubt too much, because the benefit is evident.

What happens to the pumps?That doctors have some pressure when putting them (how many, to whom, etc., is something that is reviewed a lot) and in the end, they end up braking and get few.And sometimes they get few because they themselves are reluctant to put them because, simply, they do not have the appropriate human team for their implementation and monitoring.In the latter we must be vigilant, because I consider it something unacceptable.

Finally, in terms of my personal opinion, I think almost everyone will always speak well of the bomb because they have failed in previous therapies, so there is always improvement in their diabetes.What I disagree is a bit in the subject of the quality of life that it supposedly provides.That concept is personal and subjective, so that some quality of life may seem to take the bomb, and others (like me) quality of life seems precisely the opposite;Do not wear that device hanging from my gut.

HanSolo's profile photo
HanSolo
10/28/2010 8:10 a.m.

I was putting Lantus for about 3 years and it was a nightmare.I also did not cover me 24 hours and in the afternoon few were the days that did not reach 300.
After trying all possible schedules, ended up clicking regular Humalog (I think it lasts four hours) about four in the afternoon (another puncture).

Own experience, it seems much more dangerous to run out of basal insulin than to eat a cake and put on 300. If you run out of insulin you can have ketone bodies, I stay without strength, a horrible thirst, ...
In the end I got the bomb, I did not get good results with the Lantus (I have always had the phenomenon of dawn very strong, from 5 I have to put 50% more basal) and the truth is that my lifechange.I have never had any complication or hemoglobins above 7.5 in the worst case, but I feel healthier since I carry the bomb

tica's profile photo
tica
10/28/2010 11:46 a.m.

Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro
DM1 desde 1988
Mamá de 2 niños y a la espera del tercero
Bomba + Dexcom

Hello good!
Yesterday I was with my educator !!
He says that I am hypersensitive to all insulins.
A few days it seems that I would not have to prick it and other days it seems that I need twice the usual dose.
Pump candidate.
But while that pump comes I keep testing.
Another 2 weeks with 8 controls a day and targeted all the rations that are and what they are and if I do not improve that I say that I
It will put a mixture at lunchtime (30/70) instead of the novorapid.
I am not very convinced.

Ana82's profile photo
Ana82
10/29/2010 6:25 a.m.

Ana, have you tried Levemir?
In some cases they only pass with 1 puncture a day, although this insulin is designed for 12 hours ... it is stable, it does not have as much peak as the lantus and with 2 picnhazos you can adjust better depending on your needs.
The worst, having to put another puncture.

On the other hand, it is important to rotate the injection zones ... I have been ever not to fix and click on the same place ... absorption in very saturated areas of punctures is very irregular, it makes it effect likeThat is encapsulates and insulin is as if you hadn't put it.

DiabetesForo
10/31/2010 4:33 a.m.

You have 3 options, or go to an intensive guideline (1 rapid lantus + 3 click) intermediate guideline (1 lantus + 1 rapid prick at that time higher) or as Owash 2 says 2 Levemir punctures (tomorrow and night).In the case of the Levemir you could increase the number of units that you put now and split that amount in two punctures (60% at breakfast and 40% at dinner).In my opinion it is the only situation where it is worth using Levemir (obviously 1 prick is better than 2).

All the best

pedro jiménez's profile photo
pedro jiménez
10/31/2010 2:27 p.m.

Congratulations on the bomb, Ana !!!Your problems have the days counted, you will see.;)
The same is that I am an old one, but how little I like mixtures:-/ ... Is the change necessary?I would try to continue with Lantus and fast .... after all, it will be temporarily ... I don't know, one last effort, even if you have to click more, or as they say, use Levemir ...
Regarding the controls, do not think that you are going to get rid of a bomb ... In addition, I think that measurement is essential to carry good control.
Health

Velia's profile photo
Velia
11/01/2010 6:32 a.m.

De los buenos tiempos, siempre quiero más...
Mamá de Ángela, ¡16 añitos, fiera!. Debut: octubre de 2003.
Bomba insulina Medtronic Paradigm Veo desde junio 2005
Última hemo 6.1

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.