{'en': 'Beach, pool and insulin pump', 'es': 'Playa, piscina y bomba de insulina'} Image

Beach, pool and insulin pump

tica's profile photo   06/08/2011 8:51 a.m.

Although I have been with the bomb for more than five years, it is not very clear to do with the pump to go to the beach/pool.

During these years I have avoided "water" in summer as much as possible.The first year I went to the beach and I was infected where I had the cannula ...

The following year I decided to return to the Bolis a week, and I did not convince me anything I could not find the dose of Lantus ... If one day I go to the pool I go with the bomb, but it gives me something that hots too much ...If I'm going to be a little time, I leave her at home.

Next Saturday I'm going to tend a week.I have valued the option to return to the bowling, but we want to do some hiking and I do not feel like going with the uncontrolled sugar.

I have thought about taking a replacement per day and remove it when I go to the beach and put it on when I arrive at the hotel (to avoid infections), but it doesn't convince me to be two hours without insulin (so I remember the talks thatThey gave me when they put the bomb, they told me that I could be disconnected two hours and if it was going to be more additional bolus with the pump or with the ball ...)

What do you do?

And put a dose of NPH in the morning or regular Humalog (that was recommended for a long time ago the endocrine)?

I try to go through the hospital to see what they tell me ... but if someone can give me a hand I would appreciate it very much !!

Greetings.

tica's profile photo
tica
06/08/2011 8:51 a.m.

Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro
DM1 desde 1988
Mamá de 2 niños y a la espera del tercero
Bomba + Dexcom

Hi Tica

My son who is 6 years old and we live in Alicante, so you can imagine how long the summers are, as repens in the sand and the time that is soaked.In all these years we have not had infections problems, only last summer we had problems but it was that the sand put in the catheter and we could not unscrew the cap.
If only the infections have happened to you once, it is possible that it was bad luck, you can try to protect the catheter with some dressing if you are going to be a lot in the sand and then when you end up removing it and let the area dry well.I do not know what the catheters of the Accouchedk will be but surely that better than those of Medtronic that are very bad.
We go to the beach or the Pisci, while we put the protective cream we look at how it is in levels, if it is well we leave it without putting anything, if it is high we put a tad (its basal is low, it is not like that of aadult) and if it is low we give you something to eat because then it does not stop moving.We remove the bomb, we get a dressing and run.At two hours or so we do another control (if it does not carry the sensor made clear) and depending on how we act (in case we are high we connect the pump we put a bolus and again to run).We normally protect the pump in a neverite or insulating bag and put it in the shade.We have never spoiled insulin but it is true that in summer we change the insulin more often because the heat here is tremendous.Another thing, if we are going to spend a long time on the beach, we always took a spare catheter and the puncture, since once we "annoyed" the day and we had to return to us.
You can take everything and try the bomb, if you see that you are not going well because you use the bolis, but I think it will go well, you are already an expert, it is a matter of having the truqui and that is bread ate.
Good luck and that you have a great time, it will help you disconnect.

mani05's profile photo
mani05
06/08/2011 9:52 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Thanks Mani05, I will try one day to take the pump and protect the insertion zone ... but I am worried about another issue, what do you do with the pump when you are in the water or far from the towel?That is, they stole your mobile is a whore, but that they steal your bomb believing that it is an MP3 or anything else would be a serious problem ...

tica's profile photo
tica
06/08/2011 10:32 a.m.

DM1 desde 1988
Bomba + Dexcom

Well, either we turn to get into the water or ask someone close to who does not mind taking a look.There is always someone around us who stares at us with curiosity what noses we do to the child with so much device, so if you ask them to watch your step bag you explain what your curiosity is and is satisfied :))
We do not usually put it in the backpack because the backpack is more "sweet", it is easier for them to wear a backpack or beach bag than a neverite.
And now I think it occurs that perhaps something could be devised to scare away thieves, maybe playing a paper to paste it on or wrapping the pump (even if it is lined with zeal paper or something) in which he puts "caution: insulin pumpFor diabetic patient "or something similar, I don't know if thieves will stop reading but if they do at least they will be clear that it is not a MP3.
Anyway, you have to take them, not only for theft but because you can spoil the bomb and even if you could solve it by going to a hospital, better to be prevented.
In case of robbery you would have to go to a complaint because I believe that hospitals have insurance for the bombs and could ask for the complaint to claim the insurer.
You'll see how everything is going well.

mani05's profile photo
mani05
06/08/2011 11:03 a.m.

Tica, your cry I imagine that it will still be a little and do not care to see the catheter, but for us ..... where you place it so that you do not see you with the bikini ?? they say that in the culete, but withThe little ones that now do the bikinis panties, or do you put it in the middle of the cheeks, or instead of panties, it has to be a braga girdle ... hehehe. I don't mind what you can see?And is that area uncomfortable to sit?

kekiya's profile photo
kekiya
06/09/2011 11:46 a.m.

Hello,

haha the diabetics is me;) And I'm 26 yearsI say that since I carry the pump I go much less to the pool/beach).I put it in the culete and if I did not have to go to the pool and I have put the catheter in the gut I have a swimsuit for those cases.Anyway I do not think that an adult is different from a child, we ask that you cry out to accept diabetes and have no problem in clicking in front of other people, but when one becomes older it seems that it is normal to "hide diabetes."I am a very shy person, except in my physicist, there comes a time that imopprizes you a shit what people think and have told me everything: things with contempt, things with sorrow, once the police told me that I could not prick meIn a concert, and I told them that it was insulin and they answered that they didn't care what I was being ... imagine ...

Let's see if someone gives us more tricks to carry the bomb, although it seems to me that I will end the Humalog Bol and the bomb at home, to be able to enjoy the beach comfort ...

tica's profile photo
tica
06/09/2011 12:10 p.m.

DM1 desde 1988
Bomba + Dexcom

Hahaha Tica, I thought it was a little one ... I'm lios I do ..: D :?
It is not a matter of accepting or not diabetes, I think it has nothing to do.That is not pleasant for anyone. But well, if there is no choice, because it looks and talk .... !!:))

kekiya's profile photo
kekiya
06/09/2011 12:33 p.m.

I'm sorry if you seemed bad or not to accept diabetes.Haha is a trauma that I have since childhood, my mother always said that I didn't have to be ashamed"Rat" because I couldn't give them my sugar/candies (how cruel children are) and my mother told me not to worry about what people think ... but she was not able to leave if she was not perfectly combed,Dyed ... And it was in Mom Plan, and why do you preserve what people think?Children find out more things than we believe !!!

tica's profile photo
tica
06/09/2011 1:03 p.m.

DM1 desde 1988
Bomba + Dexcom

hahaha, if it is true that children are cruel !!But much more indiscreet and harmful I think they can be certain adults ... right?Anyway, there has to be everything in the Lord's vineyard ... hahaha. I, in terms of conservation, I have a Neverita backpack, which comes great to take to the beach/pool. Ime a plastic bag with ice (well closed), insulin or bomb (in another bag not to get wet) and take advantage and put a pair of light cocacolas!And it comes from pearls ...

kekiya's profile photo
kekiya
06/09/2011 1:14 p.m.

Hello people!
Well, it is an interesting topic ... for me it is the first summer with a bomb, and the biggest doubt that I have is where to put the catheter, I have tried a for sometimes the glutean area, but the truth is that I have noticed that IHold on less (2 days if, 3 days no longer), although it may have been spoiled by chance.
But anyway, if I have to change it every two days in summer is not much problem.

With respect to the pump, I have bought the cold neverita that has been spoken other times in the forum, and I hope that with it the problem of leaving it and heat will be solved.The robberies, I would not put it in the bag or the backpack, I have thought to leave it under the towel in the pool, or in the pockets that some towels have.And on the beach, I always put mat and towel, that way could be left between the two ...

The infections, I hope that with the quick-set taboncito serve, if not to put a dressing over TB it is a good idea ...

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
06/10/2011 9:56 a.m.

Hello.....

Ja, ha, I live in Alicante and Tb I have a bomb.As they put it to me last year, I only have the experience of a summer, well and what we have this year, that here the time is already summery and the total beach.When I go to the beach, I keep the bomb in one of the cold (special for bombs) covers that I have already spoken in another post, and there are times that I do as Kekiya, I have a small beach neverita and I put it in it, since TB took advantage and took a bottle of water or a coke light and some fruit ... so two birds of a shot .... ha ha ha.
When I arrive I measure myself and put the corresponding basal for that time.E.g.I get to the beach at 12, I put the basal that corresponds to me from 12 to 13 which is 0.450 + bolus corrector if I need.From there every hour I connect, I put in bolus the basal that corresponds to me of 1 hour and keep the bomb again.That as something ...... Well, the bolus that corresponds to me based on the H.C., that I bathe or I will walk, because if it coincides with a bolus of basal I put less amount and if it does not match me like the fruit....... depends ...... And so in principle I have it quite controlled and quite well .............. I am not to be many hours in a row in the waterSo I have not had problems with Medtronic's dressings, but I have a novelty boat at home in case I ever need it .........
Regarding the issue of where I put the catheter ............... last year, at first it gave me a lot of cut because it is true that people look straight (I always take itin the gut) and that I also have the triplet to Topitos because as every time I go I have it on a different side, because I have the occasional marks of the dressing of the dressing ........ but the truth is that if youParas to think ..... The dressing (at least that of Medtronic) is not very scandalously large and not to be seen from very close, it may seem like a dressing of a wound or a scar ......To say that we are a mat and that if we take off the cap we get rid of ......... ha ha ha.(It is to take iron from the matter .....)

virginia's profile photo
virginia
06/15/2011 2:32 p.m.

hahaha, Virginia, I hadn't fallen into that !!
It is that to sunbathe and you have the waist to Tpoitos, like a Sevillian suit !! hahaha ... :)) :)) :))
That's why I think that maybe the culete for days of Pisi, be the best option ...I sit and stay that trench area or it hurts ... I don't know ..

kekiya's profile photo
kekiya
06/15/2011 6:52 p.m.

Hello!
I have returned from the beach and the conclusion is that the bomb is not thrown out for sand and water ... in everything else, I accept its inconveniences, but in beach it surpasses me ... First day I put the aposty in the culete, a pain at night when sleeping ... I don't know how I had to put it that was horrible.Second day, I go without the pump, perfect, every two hours or an hour and a half puncture with the Humalog and perfect ball ... until it gets stuck with the sand ... third day I return with the post, a lot of sun, the bombIt heats up others and hurts me again.To the fine end with the bolis and putting a new aposty every day ... and if I went to the beach in the afternoon because I went with the bomb.One day I was all day with the bolis and bad ... but not, that the bomb does not convince me in summer !!!

tica's profile photo
tica
06/20/2011 12:48 p.m.

DM1 desde 1988
Bomba + Dexcom

Hi Tica, I am also with you, the truth is that I fear summer and heat, since they put the bomb I have not gone to the beach or the pool, and I have a fear:-/, I always tell myself thatI am going to brave.

paula's profile photo
paula
06/20/2011 1:55 p.m.

Hello;
I can tell you the experience last year with my daughter's bomb on the beach and the truth, it was not very good.It had to be controlling all the time to get out of the water to put it on, that if the sand, that if the catheter takes off, that if the sand entered and obstructed ... in short our experience was not very good and my daughterI was not going well, so this year we have removed it in the months of July and August, we have returned to the Lantus and Novorapid, and for now great, a fewmore, we miss the bomb, especially her for the topic of the punctures, but of course she asked him to take it in the summer, because every day he bathes in the pool and then we are also going to the beach ... with which ... it was not very viable.On September 1 we will put it again and well we will have to adapt the basal ......

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
07/13/2011 8:46 a.m.

Hello I have a bomb two years ago almost three and I think it is best to always take it and of course the beach does not have to be an exception.It is true that people get sometimes looking at you as if you were a weirdo but I don't like some swimsuits and I don't say anything je.I think that if we carry insulin bomb, we talk about how normal our life is with an apparatus on all day we should not be ashamed of what others say.
I punish myself indistinctly in my ass and in Latin and when I bathe is the only time when I do not have it on the beach bag in the umbrella and to bathe then when I go out I bait with my dose and put it on.I play with my son in the sand I take walks to the palettes etc .. It has been filled with sand ever or with water and nothing has happened to him it is cleaned and out.It is true that the only problem that I have ever had that with the sand it costs me to screw it as I have read there.But we are going my advice is that you are not ashamed that scoundrels in Spain there are many for one diabetic more than another one greetings for all firefighters.

Derfel's profile photo
Derfel
08/11/2011 1:46 p.m.

Last year I had the Medtronic dressing of 9mm and if it is true that it once cost me curling and unscrew it, but I think it was not so much for the sand.If not, with heat, the plastic dilates and then there is no "child" who manages to place it again ....... someone who confirms my theory ?????As this dressing gave me problems and the catheter folded, I spent the 13 mm that is inclined (45º instead of 90º) and Holy Hand.As you have another way to get hooked I have not had problems.If it is true that the catheter is longer and leaves marks a bigger tad on my skin ... but there is nothing that a good cremita does not fix ......
By the way, the other day I wore the pump connected on the beach and held with the clamp the lower part of the bikini, it was under the umbrella and when I got up a second, the nila that was next to me was flipped looking at me ............... When asked his mother what he was wearing, the mother answered that it was an mp4 to listen to music ......... however little I laugh!!!!!!!So you know .... It could be a suggestion for laboratories, which will also carry an 8 GB microSD memory to listen to music, some tetris -like games for dead hours .......... total .. total .. total .... ha ha ha.....
Luckily, my summer with the bomb is still "no problem" for now, I will tell you when I return from the holidays and after having been 10 days of intensive beach ..........

virginia's profile photo
virginia
08/12/2011 9:57 a.m.

Hello everyone !!

This will be my 1st summer with a bomb, because last year, I took the opportunity to go to the beach, before putting it on.
This summer I have only been in the family fish, one of my brothers, and of course, Pas Problème !!I take it off at the time of getting, and I usually do not put bolus, because as I am very labile, even if I have high - high figures, for me, I speak of more than 240 mg - with 20 minutes swimming, I stay close to 60!!!Although before the bathroom, you have taken some fruit or even 2 or 3 cookies.

The week of 22, I plan to go to the beach, and here I am reading, your experiences and truquitos.I, right now, at home, I think that I am not going to take it away, because thinking about the 7/8 daily punctures that I would need, it gives me grima.But for what I deduce your comments, you - because I think they do not give as much importance to aesthetics as we do not carry a sensor, the continuous meter.And the truth is that this is the most spectacular, apart from that normally there is a rest of the blood of insertion, q to others, can cause some repelús.Hide under the bikini panties one ..., but two ?????.

I usually put the sensor on the thigh and the catheter, under the pant.

Although all this, I think they are minor things, that I care, but almost nothing, compared to how to find the right basal, on days where you do much more exercise, you are exposed much more to the sun, you eat away from home ....Well, I still have a week, to try strategies ... glycemic.

Via's profile photo
Via
08/16/2011 1:16 p.m.

Well, I have been my first summer with the bomb and the truth is that well ... except the feeling you observed that before with the bolis it did not happen, but hey, Ami slips me ... I have had to change every twoDays because I stayed a full, and I have taken it with the case of leather that is little more spectacular ...: ((and well being on the beach a mother approached and I wonder what if it was a bomb ofInsulina and he already told me that he had a small diabetic and that the little one had noticed, but no good vibes was teaching him the little machine and telling him how he went .... especially those who flip and not cut are the children ..But well I tell you what it is to get vitamins, swim faster and endure more underwater :)) :))

jorss's profile photo
jorss
08/31/2011 8:22 a.m.

mani05 said:
hi tica

We go to the beach or the Pisci, while we put the protective cream we look at how it is in levels, if it is well we leave it without putting anything, if it is high we put a tad (its basal is low, it is not like that of aadult) and if it is low we give you something to eat because then it does not stop moving.We remove the bomb, we get a dressing and run.At two hours or so we do another control (if it does not carry the sensor made clear) and depending on how we act (in case we are high we connect the pump we put a bolus and again to run).We normally protect the pump in a neverite or insulating bag and put it in the shade.We have never spoiled insulin but it is true that in summer we change the insulin more often because the heat here is tremendous.Another thing, if we are going to spend a long time on the beach, we always took a spare catheter and the puncture, since once we "annoyed" the day and we had to return to us.
You can take everything and try the bomb, if you see that you are not going well because you use the bolis, but I think it will go well, you are already an expert, it is a matter of having the truqui and that is bread ate.
Good luck and that you have a great time, it will help you disconnect.

Your explanation is very good, thank you !!

aranzazuleg's profile photo
aranzazuleg
04/22/2015 1:13 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.