Dual-square bolus

paula's profile photo   03/14/2010 9:43 a.m.

Hello everyone, I have a doubt with dual and square bolus, should the basal change it a little lower?It is that yesterday I began to use the dual bolus and it did very well because I did not make the dreaded upward curve that I always do after eating, but when I arrived at dinner I had it quite low;As for the square bolus I don't know exactly how to use it and the question is the same case as with the previous one ... if you could help me I would appreciate it very much.: D

paula's profile photo
paula
03/14/2010 9:43 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Paula I am also experiencing with the square bolus ... I do not dare to give you any advice because I am still a rookie, but I agree with you that it is very good to avoid the curve and I am taking the taste, but I have to learn.
I also arrived very fair when I went to bed at 4 hours after dinner.I have gone down very little the basal in that time slot, but I did it yesterday, to see how I arrived tonight.
For the rest I am experiencing with each HC to see how it works with each food as many hours of square.
I have asked for an appointment with the endo to take everything I have noted and see if it helps me to hit a little better with the squares.

You tell me like you.

lola's profile photo
lola
03/14/2010 2:48 p.m.

That, learn everything very well that you will have to explain it to me soon: Mrgreen:
hehe, I will be aware of this thread !!!

sweety's profile photo
sweety
03/14/2010 3:14 p.m.

Hahaha, Sweety, I love you are so lively with the bomb.You'll see sure you learn your fastest than me.

I commented before that I had lowered the basal to see that the square bolus of dinner was going, but the experiment has been struck because I think the change of catheter has left me through the clouds, so I had to temporarily increaseThe basal.
Sweety, take note and be careful when you change the catheter because it tends to climb, better to do it when you are a bit low, if the sugar does not shoot.I leave it 3-4 days but today already around 5 and I had to change it yes or yes.This happens to wait for me until the last moment.

greetings

lola's profile photo
lola
03/14/2010 5:10 p.m.

Go Lola, because you have given me information that had not occurred to me, that to write the carbohydrates, what I have noted have been the meals, for example: yesterday I ate roasted chicken and the curve kept it at bay, but today I have taken pasta and it has risen me so much that I had to correct with a normal bolus, and I have also climbed the 125 % basal because my endo recommended it for when I am preparing with the period, but of course I have laterArrived with a descent at dinner time ... although it has not been a fat drop only at 69mg, the truth is that I do not know if it has been the HC of slow absorption or perhaps I have told the bad rations (I think it hasIt has been the 2nd), but well on Tuesday my endo is going to look at me, to see what he tells me ...;)
And you Sweety take advantage, take advantage, what better than us to guide you in your bomb debut!:))
Well, Lola then tell me how, and we comment ... ok?: Mrgreen:

paula's profile photo
paula
03/14/2010 5:44 p.m.

Paula, it seems that we have both a movidita dinner.Let's see if we normalize this before going to sleep.luck!

I think it is good that you notice all the food, because that will also influence.I also write down what type of HC and duration, for example: for potato and pasta I wear more square bolus (never normal) and increase the duration.For the bread, however, the time of the square bolus puts it shorter.
Of course, all other factors influence: fats, proteins, etc ... So I with how bad I am to calculate is costing me a lot.

lola's profile photo
lola
03/14/2010 6:51 p.m.

Lola, with how many units cebas the bomb when you change the catheter ???
At the beginning of carrying a bomb I was also uploaded by changing the catheter, they had told me that I had to prime with O.3 units, my catheter is the smallest, and I had good climbs so on my own and fed up with beingHigh after each change, I started to prime with 1 unit and hand of saint: Shock:, Muca more I saw a hyper because of the change of catheter ....

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
03/15/2010 4:40 a.m.

MoYesterday, it did not work.

In the end yesterday I managed to go to the stable bed and I got up very well ... less bad.Today I continue with the square bolus ... I love them!Paula, how do you carry it?

lola's profile photo
lola
03/15/2010 5:35 a.m.

Thanks girls !!!I'm soaked.
And I say (and I still say nonsense like a piano), if I had not changed it for five days, I was still clogged and that is why what you got to compensate for the change did not enter completely ...
By the way, a curiosity, which has the square bolus that all "firefighters" like it so much?

sweety's profile photo
sweety
03/15/2010 9:29 a.m.

Sweety, if of course the catheter was already to throw and was obstructing, then nothing or very insulin enters.But as sometimes I am a vague because I do not change it until the last moment.Take Sweety note, don't do the vague as Lola and you will change the catheter every 3 days ... hehe.

The square bolus are very good because they act in the same way as the food, so the food is absorbed equally with the insulin and prevents you from raising you long after eating or 3h later of ingesting HC.This is the theory, the practice ... it is a bit more difficult, well it is not so difficult, I am a bit disaster.

lola's profile photo
lola
03/15/2010 11:16 a.m.

Do not Lola, it is not that you are clumsy is that a mogollón of variables influences and you have to think about everything ... We are walking pancreas!:)) Today I have eaten chilindrón chicken and ... Wonderful, I have not had a curve and on top of that I have reached 90 to dinner, I can't believe it!And on top: I feel good with my appearance ...
The catheter has happened to me a couple of times, but I have also realized that if I change it after breakfast, I do not go up so much, instead of noon, (it is an idea ...) As for the filling of cannula, I also have the smallest as meadow and bait with 0.3, but I even do it when I take it off and ... for now;).
Hey Sweety, a advice, as soon as they put the bomb quickly learn about the dual and square bolus because they are holy hand, you'll see !!

paula's profile photo
paula
03/15/2010 5:10 p.m.

Hello everyone. I have the Animas bomb.
I have the mixed bolus function that consists of "expanding" the insulin bolus in x time.
For example you put 10 units.of which 40% in normal and 60% expanded in x time.Is this the same as the square bolus?

chema's profile photo
chema
03/15/2010 5:20 p.m.

If Chema that mixed bolus is the dual bolus, it puts you some normal bolus and the rest you can expand in x time.The square bolus is only the expanded Bolus.Do you use it?Tell us your experience.

Greetings

Lola

lola's profile photo
lola
03/16/2010 3:52 a.m.

Hello everyone !!

Looking on the dual bolus I can not tell you much, because I am starting to use (the bomb is my "4 -year -old" sugar)) we are going that I am a rookie in this dual.

The square bolus uses it especially when the little one is below 85 is usually put in half an hour or 1 hour (depending on what eats), when it reaches me for example in seventy -so many, I usually remove 0.2And the rest I put it in half an hour, that way I have proven that in the post avoid hiccups and arrives with good blood glucose.

In order for the catheter to not affect your glycemicWe try to coincide at the bath time the change of catheter, warm water and the vaho it produces usually down or stabilize blood cellThe rooms depend on how much basal insulin has to distribute at that time and perhaps TB of the bomb you carry.Sometimes and depending on the glycemia it has when it is the change and if it has a blood glucose greater than 120 mg/dl we put a minimum of 0.1.

All this considering that my little ones carries small basal, the minimum in some sections is 0.00 or 0.05 and the largest of 0.35.

In senior I do not have a basal insulin enters the sections or time slots, but maybe without realizing it, you change shortly before one and and a half and you are taking away half a unit or a 0.3 .... and ofThere you then have a hyper.

Anyway, I do not know if I have clarified something or I have put more with you with the points and the half;);) hehehe.

I read everything you put from dual and squares, especially dual and learn.

DiabetesForo
03/16/2010 8:01 a.m.

Lena, thank you very much for your comment, I had not thought about that of the catheter, I also usually change it when I take a shower and measure me before.I avoid the change before or after meals, but I am going to see that it does not match a basal thrust.

Duals and squares are a whole world, for example now I just eat a sandwich and I have put the bolus distributed almost all normal but a rest in square for just an hour, to see how I arrive.With the pasta I usually distribute the square in 2 hours or 2 and a half.This is to try and learn from oneself and others, so welcome are all comments and experiences.

Greetings

lola's profile photo
lola
03/16/2010 9:05 a.m.

Thank you very much Lena, but I have no idea how you look at the basal thrust in mine!: Shock: Hey you have the same as mine, right?Medtronic I see, tell me where you look at it ...;)
By the way you have not answered the question of whether you have fattened or not :(

paula's profile photo
paula
03/16/2010 1:01 p.m.

Well, this is something that is not usually like, when they put the bomb you usually tell you when you go to the pool or do some sport and you have to disconnect, but from the catheter changes that are what you knowThey do not tell you every three days, many times because not even the endocrine themselves fall into the account.

We, I am not going to lie to you, we fall in the short time to take the small insulin bomb and call Medtronic to know more and if our thoughts were true, they were the ones who explained to us the "insulin blows", it is true that as it is the girl who carries the insulin bomb, you may worry twice, and I particularly spend my life by elobating and giving the mind, provided that something happens with some frequency. There are I am I think thatHe thinks you and looking for!I am going to tell you more once we realized this we told the doctor who carries her and she herself thereafter is something that takes into account to tell the potatoes of the new "small firefighters."

I have commented with some people who carry a bomb and the hyper after the catheter did not know why they were or attributed to other reasons, as a general rule if before the change you are below 130 it is normal that then you do not have hyper, but if you are in more than 130mg/dl and above you disconnect at point or and a half it will not enter what corresponds to you of Bal in that half hour that you are disconnected and therefore hyper the song.

Paula, what Lola of the basal thrust comments: my girl carries that of Medtronic Paradigm Real Time, in this pump the smallest basal blow "that distributes is 0.05 (in I see it I think it allows you 0.05 and 0.025) And for me to know when the basal is going to enter and how much basal it will enter I make the following calculation:

Example: Basal from 12:00 to 13: 00h 0.05 - Well, it will only give an "insulin blow" that is, it will enter it, because the minimum that the pump distributes is 0.05.

Basal from 4:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.Minutes that have the time between 7 blows and gives me 8.5 because it means that more or less he will put the insulin every 8 minutes from "in point."

Basal from 00:00 to 01: 00h 015, to know the "insulin blows" divided 0.15 by 0.05 (the minimum it distributes) and 3 blows come out, to know when you are going to push them divide 60 minutes that it hasThe time between 3 strokes and gives me 20 because it means that it will put the insulin every 20 minutes from "o'clock."

All this must be taken into account especially in the kids, in the elderly I do not not affect you if it will affect you the same, anyway that you would call Medtronic and they will explain it for sure that until better than me;);)

Well, keep commenting for the duals that I learn and take note ok?:)

DiabetesForo
03/16/2010 1:03 p.m.

Well, I had not thought about what Lena explains, but she has her logic.Whenever I changed the catheter, I had a climb, sometimes more sometimes but always, so I got tired and started to be primed with twice as much as quantity and since then never again: d.
Paula I didn't get fat when I put on the bomb.I keep my weight for many years, kilo up or down but without great oscillations.

DiabetesForo
03/16/2010 1:23 p.m.

I am new to the bomb (I've been 1 week).
The square bolus does not use it because I do not know. For example when as paella or rice, the post I have minimum in two hundred and I have to correct, but I still have to continue correcting. What would you use the square bolus or the mixed? I need your helpplease.
The only thing I do is put normal bowling because I don't get another cosal. Thank you friends: P

chema's profile photo
chema
03/16/2010 5:04 p.m.

Girls if you don't care and after doing your calculations if you carry out what I have told you about the "calculations to know the insulin blows and at what time the basal at the time enters" and if you do not care, tell me thatSuch is going and if it influences you when solving the hyper after the change of catheter.

I am curious if the elderly influence you, as Prado says the logic says that it has to influence you, but maybe not, because in the kids for example in my daughter that carries very small basal sections, it is normal thatThe influence because if it is a change in which its basal is 0.05 at the time and disconnected shortly before the time in point because that basal of 0.05 would not enter it at the time therefore with a blood glucose greater than130mg/dl It would be normal.If it is a stretch of 0.15 at the time and disconnects it about twenty minutes or half an hour (to bathe it) and without realizing it is shortly before the time at point because I would not enter around 0.10.

Anyway I hope that "you influence you" to disappear the hyper from after the change of catheter, obviously in this it has a very important influence the blood glucose before the change of catheter.

A hug

DiabetesForo
03/17/2010 4:07 a.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.