Clarification on surgery that "cures" diabetes

HanSolo's profile photo   02/17/2014 3:59 a.m.

Given the recent news that appeared in some media about the possible cure of surgery diabetes, a generalized confusion has been created (at least in our province), and they are calling us to ask for information about that type of therapy for their diabetes.That is why in Asvidia we wanted to make clear things asking the scientific societies involved (SEEN-SEECO-SEEDO-SEED) to provide us with their official position on this type of surgery called Bagua.

Link

HanSolo's profile photo
HanSolo
02/17/2014 3:59 a.m.

ISCI / debut: 1986 / HbA1c: 5,5%

For me it is quite clear.There is no diabetes surgery, but surgery that, through an intervention in the digestive system, reduces the absorption of food, so a significant reduction of weight in obese is achieved, a weight that is one of the causes ofType 2 diabetes.
Also, apparently, it can influence the functioning of the pancreas, making it more "effective", but only in those specific cases of type 2 diabetics that have other risk elements such as obesity.
It seems fatal to me to talk about diabetes surgery, because that does not exist.
Health

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
02/17/2014 8:11 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

It does not have to seem fatal to talk about diabetes surgery.You may not like;But not seem fatal.That term is used so that people with diabetes know what the purpose of the intervention is.Not for something else.It is the way to spread an idea, very accepted worldwide.Both obesity surgery, such as diabetes surgery, are metabolic surgery because the organism's general metabolic conditions change to improve obesity, diabetes, cholesterol, triglycerides, hypertension, apnea sleep syndrome, etc..If someone commented that metabolic surgery exists no one would know what it is.If metabolic surgery, in a certain case, is indicated to treat diabetes, more than obesity, because that person really has bad sugar control and weight does not worry so much, that could be said that it is aSurgery to treat diabetes and consequently, diabetes surgery.Thus surgeons are understood when they speak between them and the endocrinologists, internists and doctors in general when they talk to surgeons.Thus we have to understand patients with doctors until we use more precise terms.
Metabolic surgery techniques are the same as those of bariatric or obesity surgery and that diabetes surgery, which is ultimately the same;But with different purpose.Some try to solve obesity and passing the pathologies associated with it, and others try to solve diabetes and incidentally overweight and other consequences associated with it.Bagua is a type of bypass, it is one of the techniques that exist: gastric band, gastric manga, gastric bypass, gastroileal bypass, bilopancreatic bypass, duodenal crossing, etc.
This nonsense, the "diabetes surgery", which some people try not to admit or deny, have changed the name of all the world's obesity surgery societies.Which have had to add ... of obesity and metabolism or obesity and metabolic or obesity and metabolic diseases, etc.Of course this is the least important.This "non -existent" surgery has caused surgeons and endocrinologists from all over the world to investigate the subject, inform in their congresses and publish many articles monthly.
This surgery exists, calling it as you want, but it is better to use a term with which the Spaniards can understand what it is for, and as it uses to treat diabetes, diabetes surgery could be called, as doctors have decided that at the moment they are called.Something will understand to use that name.
This surgery will spread little by little and in the future it will solve or help solve many situations that could not before.It will also inspire many medical research to find new drugs and give great triumphs to endocrinologists.At the moment, it is known that surgery is cheaper than medical treatment;But nobody is interested in admitting it because the public system would have to make important disbursements now to obtain long -term savings.In this phase are doctors, get to be done in public health.There are many professionals working very hard to favor the health of their patients so that other people doubt them.

DiabetesForo
02/07/2015 2:51 p.m.

It seems to me an important and it would be the one that Asvidia has done to clarify this idea.The way to indicate surgery to try to solve diabetes.

DiabetesForo
02/07/2015 2:54 p.m.

Solve type 2 diabetes linked to obesity.
We do not like to say "diabetes surgery", because it creates confusion to type 1.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
02/08/2015 1:23 a.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

Here I put a comment from an article by Dr. Rubino, the most influential doctor in Metabolic Surgery (Diabetes) of the world, appeared in BariatricNews.Anyone who wants to understand something about metabolic or diabetes surgery should read this.

What is "metabolic surgery"?

After his recent work that has helped define "metabolic surgery" as a broader specialty that covers bariatric surgery, Dr. Francesco Rubino argues that the term better reflects the objectives and mechanisms of surgery and could improve access toSurgery for those who need it most.

Bariatric surgery, of Greek "baros" that mean "weight", is synonymous with weight loss surgery.However, the benefits and mechanisms of gastrointestinal procedures extend beyond weight loss, questioning the suitability of a name and practice entirely based on weight reduction.

In the last five years, the term "metabolic surgery" has become increasingly popular.However, despite the popularity of the nomenclature, a clear definition of metabolic surgery has not been established.

In 2002, we have suggested that gastrointestinal surgery could be used with the primary intention to treat type 2 diabetes, "diabetes surgery."The idea derives not only from the notable clinical effects of bariatric surgery on diabetes, but also the recognition that the gastrointestinal tract is an important player in the regulation of glucose homeostasis.Research shows that the mechanisms of action of bariatric procedures have metabolic effects, not only mechanical, provided scientific support for the surgical treatment of type 2 diabetes. The idea has gained acceptance after a reference point "Diabetes Surgery "in 2007, two world congresses dedicated to the statements of positioning in this regard and several of different organizations, in particular the International Diabetes Federation in 2011.

"Metabolic" and "Diabetes Surgery", however, often refers incorrectly as a surgical approach to the treatment of diabetes in patients with low body mass index.These are the imprecise definitions since they represent, at most, only two potential applications of metabolic surgery, not its defining characteristics.So far, these terms have been used in this way so that the general population of doctors and patients can understand what we are trying.

In fact, surgical disciplines are never defined by specific procedures, much less by BMI ranges;Rather, the definition and names of surgical subspecialties depend on the organ system whose anatomy is modified by the surgeon (as in neurosurgery, cardiac surgery, gastrointestinal surgery) and / or by the diseases that one intends to treat (such asin endocrine surgery).

To help define the discipline of metabolic surgery / diabetes, it was investigated whether the name and, by inference, the main intention of surgery can influence critical aspects of patient care, regardless of the use of new procedures or operate in patientsNot obese.

A "Metabolic Surgery Program" other than the "Bariatric Surgery Service" has been recently established in an American academic medical center.The two programs differ by their declared objectives, but offer the same procedures and the use of identical eligibility criteria in patients with morbid obesity.This unusual situation offered a unique opportunity to compare metabolic and bariatric surgery.

Compared to the bariatric surgery cohort, theGroup of metabolic surgery in our study was greater, it had a more balanced man / woman, they showed a greater incidence of type 2 diabetes, hypertension, dyslipemia, greater cardiovascular risk and cardiovascular disease established at the beginning of the study.

These findings suggest that the name and, by inference, the intention of metabolic surgery / diabetes can induce reasons and perceptions of risks and benefits, which increases the number of patients seeking surgery for medical reasons, instead of physical problemsor concerns related to the body image of patients.

The substantial changes in the demographic and clinical characteristics of surgical candidates have deep repercussions in terms of patient expectations, the definition of success of treatment, preoperative evaluation and diagnosis, choice of procedure, postoperative care and follow -up, multidisciplinary knowledgeand the composition of the attention team.These are the defining aspects of clinical care that characterize metabolic surgery / diabetes as a new surgical subspecialty, different from traditional bariatric surgery.

Based on the result of this study, it is proposed to define metabolic surgery as "a set of gastrointestinal operations used with the intention of treating diabetes (" diabetes surgery ") and metabolic dysfunctions (which include obesity)."

Given the important implications for patient care, standard use, gastric bypass to treat type 2 diabetes in patients with BMI greater than 35 "Metabolic surgery / diabetes" no "bariatric surgery" should be considered.This means that, contrary to common erroneous perceptions, the age of majority of metabolic surgery requires immediate attention to medical and public education, in addition to important changes in health policies.

In fact, in patients with an BMI above 35 the surgical treatment of diabetes is now recommended by practically all professional organizations and is already covered by most public and private health providers.However, less than 2% of these patients in the US and much less in other countries, have access to surgery.Erroneous concepts of the risks and benefits of surgical treatment, possibly encouraged by the name and implicit objectives of bariatric surgery, can act as a barrier to access to this surgery.

The use of a name that better reflects the objectives and mechanisms of surgery can be the first step in the direction of improving access to surgery for those who need it.

DiabetesForo
02/14/2015 11:24 a.m.

I 100x100 according to Alea ...
It is a sacking theory ... Recovered the weight ... diabetes back to song !!!

nina45's profile photo
nina45
03/30/2015 11:24 p.m.

Diabetica tipo II desde Diciembre de 2012 pero descendiente de diabéticos desde nacimiento
Medicacion: metformina de 850 gr mañana, mediodia y noche.
Ultima glicosila 6
Lema: "If you want a positive life, spent time with positive people!"

Well, I don't.I know a lot of type 2 diabetics that ceased to require insulin after the Bypass operation.It is not a room, it is real and true.

ROAR's profile photo
ROAR
04/03/2015 12:44 p.m.

It is very effective surgery for weight reduction, and that can control diabetes 2 in many cases, depending on the evolution of diabetes.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
04/03/2015 3:03 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)

Well, I have a deal with doctors (not those who do baypass) all say that reduce weight yes but with something as delicate as this noo ... and many times the weight is recovered over the years ...
Sometimes these operations are delicate for life ...
I of course will not be foolish ... (just in case) ... I do not doubt that people do well but this is a lottery and I do not take a risk !!... Personally I know two cases that passed by them ... and they have recovered the weight! ... or you have a lot) ... As my mother said to my mother: "The Quirofano only leaves when life goes in it" (or pain is unbearable)

nina45's profile photo
nina45
04/04/2015 1:32 a.m.

Diabetica tipo II desde Diciembre de 2012 pero descendiente de diabéticos desde nacimiento
Ultima glicosila 6

Sure example of this is my husband ... I went to a simple operation of one week of admission ... I was complicated. The thing and the hospital (with all the letters) and had three operations and 14 days in the ICU... I didn't die of miracle ... and two months income !!!To me, the intestines are not stirring for something that I can get with diet and exercise ... (I speak of the baypass and lose weight, that my husband was yes or sii).
To the chirofano when there is no other way out and I have it Clariisimoo ...
This one that I explain already knows some of you ...

nina45's profile photo
nina45
04/04/2015 1:42 a.m.

Ultima glicosila 6

Nina, you and your "doctors" have no idea what the operation is going.ID to the consultation of a good doctor and inform us.
Regina, the problem is that many people have no other way to lower up to a normal weight and keep it for life if it is not operating.

ROAR's profile photo
ROAR
04/04/2015 8:03 a.m.

Link

With this man I operated to overcome my morbid obesity (not because of diabetes issues), and it is the best I have done in my life.
I operated against my endocrine, who kept telling me about "diet and exercise" (when I have spent full years to diet and sport is my religion).Dr. Resa made me lose all my overweight, the others only made me waste time.
After the operation I did not have a single problem: neither vomiting nor any type of problem.That is why it makes me so "grace" the people who speak without knowing (doctors included) and those who believe that the fat people are fat because they are not able to diet.What you have to hear ...

ROAR's profile photo
ROAR
04/04/2015 8:10 a.m.

To speak it is not necessary to despise ...
My "doctors" as you say are health professionals and how you comment on your own recommended diet and exercise ... (basic pillar to lose weight)
I do not doubt that there are cases that work (there are also authentic fudge) but I do not submit to such a delicate operation having other options ... Since I am diabetics I have lost 25 kilos simply by watching my food and walking a bit ..And I plan to continue like this ...
That yes ... I agree that nobody is fat for pleasure ...

nina45's profile photo
nina45
04/04/2015 8:31 a.m.

Ultima glicosila 6

As I said before I know two cases personally.Accompany a friend to consultation (a renowned center that costs a paston).They explained to us the operation that consisted of the recession of a good part of the intestine so that the food was less time in the body and could not be assimilated to 100 x 100 (I say I do not take advantage of the nutrients either at all?).I told him to let him run and nothing ... It was preaching in the desert because he did it ... the operation was fine but the post operative no ... today weighs 140 kilos (recovering the.Peso) and notYou can eat many things and not precisely strong or indigestible (it operates 2 years ago) ...
The intestines are touched by a cancer of Tum tum no ... I don't let myself open easily because you can make adhesions (when you open and give the air the juices we have become cement and can adhere (together) some organs withothers with danger of life ... and the only solution is to reopen to reopen ... the.You get hernias -New operation to solve it -) ... This risk exists even in Caesareas ... (they involve more risk than it seems)
Who doubted my word to consult "Adhesions" ... hurt a doctor here that illustrates us !!!
Rob from heart that I'm glad your case has come out so well!A bargain to be thin without sacrifice) that unfortunately this is not to give your mother an aspirin ... first diet and if nothing works then ...
Hello, everyone!!!

nina45's profile photo
nina45
04/04/2015 11:58 a.m.

Ultima glicosila 6

When did I say that it is for everyone? ...

ROAR's profile photo
ROAR
04/04/2015 4:18 p.m.

So we have not understood each other well and we were basically saying the same ...

nina45's profile photo
nina45
04/04/2015 10:22 p.m.

Ultima glicosila 6

Roar, I am very happy that I have done so well with that opter. When you need, it is done and period.
What bothers me about the issue is that they sell it as surgery to cure diabetes ...

Regina's profile photo
Regina
04/05/2015 12:17 a.m.

I weight loss operations ... whatever ... I say no !!I have a case .... it operates, apparently everything normal .... Of course I did not assimilate nutrients ... none!Cholesterol at 23 ... etc ...
A year they operated again because he almost dies ... and now to see ... he has been off the hospital for two weeks ...

Another case ... I open ... this little girl, very weak .... just assimilate liquids ... it makes you open 6 years ....

Better Happy Gordura, Q Skinny Bitter

vandorta's profile photo
vandorta
04/05/2015 12:38 a.m.

Llevo 24 años de matrimonio con Mi diabetes :-)

💜Dexcom g6 Diciembre 2020
💓Tandem Xslim Enero 2021

~ Hemoglobinas ~
Febrero - 10,8%
Julio - 6,5%
Septiembre - 6,3%

@roar ... why did you get fat ... genetics or bad eating?

vandorta's profile photo
vandorta
04/05/2015 12:41 a.m.

Llevo 24 años de matrimonio con Mi diabetes :-)

💜Dexcom g6 Diciembre 2020
💓Tandem Xslim Enero 2021

~ Hemoglobinas ~
Febrero - 10,8%
Julio - 6,5%
Septiembre - 6,3%

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.