{'en': 'High glucose levels after exercise', 'es': 'Niveles glucosa elevados tras ejercicio'} Image

High glucose levels after exercise

FERNY's profile photo   12/02/2010 7:33 p.m.

Hello,

Let's see if someone can inform me about the subject a bit.You will see, I usually exercise regularly (football).Before performing the exercise I usually at glucose levels that range between 100 or 130. I always perform the exercise at 8. I put slow insulin (Levemir) every night at 12 (5 units).

As I consider that at the time that I am going to perform the effect of slow insulin, together with the little amount I currently wear, I am already very small because I do not worry too much x the fact of suffering a hypoglycemia but x if always perhapsI like an energy bar (15 gr).It usually practices this sport for at least an hour and a half or 2 hours.At the end of the exercise my levels are high: 170,190,200 and even more.

The first time I scared a lot because I have everything under control and suddenly I meet 265 after exercise.Of course, I totally do not know how to act in such a situation, I upload the fast insulin dose before dinner (1 more unit) following the action protocol that my endocrine marked me for when my levels were greater than 150 before dinner.Consequence: Hypoglycemia (45).

From then on I was checking that despite the high levels at which I usually be after exercising my need for insulin decrease considerably to the point of not putting any fast insulin before dinner.Whatever my levels after exercise, or I don't wear anything or x if I put 2 units of fast and my levels 2 hours later do not go from 100 or 120.

All this roll that I have released only to ask you why the high levels after exercise, whether these levels are worrisome or not and what they are a consequence.

I do not be too much to see such high results after the exercise because then everything is perfect but I do not know if that is normal or I do not do things during the exercise as it should.

Well, first of all thank you for reading all this and x your help.

Little by little I learn a lot of things thanks to this forum.A very big greeting for everyone, Thanks.

FERNY's profile photo
FERNY
12/02/2010 7:33 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

everything you comment is normal

Stress hormones (adrenaline and company) are released during exercise ... which make the body itself naturally glucose levels ... I always give the same example: if a tiger appeared in a room full of people... And we could measure their blood glucose levels nobody downspouts 250 :))
These increases should never be corrected, they are "false" glycems that disappear more or less at the time of the cause

In your case, competitive exercise is the cause of release of these hormones that make glycemia rise.

More dangerous is the increase in blood deficit glycemia, insulin should never be suppressed, at least basal, to exercise ... The body will not have the insulin necessary to introduce glucose into the cells and will be seenforced to "burn" the glucose that has saved in the liver creating a situation of ketoacidosis in a very short time

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
12/03/2010 2:22 a.m.

Thank you very much for everything and for the rapid answer !!I thank you greatly.Now I have everything much clearer.I hope to help someone in the same way that until now you are helping me.Greetings, thanks.

FERNY's profile photo
FERNY
12/03/2010 3:47 a.m.

You should also keep in mind that, like blood
The ideal is to put the insulin, do the exercise based on good blood glucose and control the glycemia with some regularity later, to avoid surprises.

Health

DiabetesForo
12/03/2010 10:59 a.m.

Hello!

Owash, I was very surprised what you say of not withdrawing basal insulin when exercising.In my case, when I do a class in the gym, I have to remove the pump or if I don't have a horse hypo.So what I do is to eat something if I am below 130 and take off the bomb just at the beginning (I put it right again at the end).Of course, my classes last 50 minutes, and not two and a half hours as in the case of Ferny (in that case I would look for another type of adjustment, because two and a half hours without a bomb is excessive).When I finish the class and I do a control I am between 90 -120 or less, once promptly, higher, but as you have said, it is corrected only in a couple of hours.

olguilla's profile photo
olguilla
12/04/2010 6:15 a.m.

Remember that the insulin that you put on the pump is ultra-shaped insulin and its action curve is extended until 2-3 hours ... even in minimal doses.
If you take away the pump the insulin continues to make the minimum possible effect, so you still have insulin in the body ...

DiabetesForo
12/04/2010 6:57 a.m.

;) Thank you!

olguilla's profile photo
olguilla
12/04/2010 7:24 a.m.

Hello!I take the post to raise a similar doubt.
The fact is that this morning I have resumed the exercise again after overcoming the stomach virus of these days.
I have not dared to go out, so I have made static bicycle.
I started with 108 glucose (2 hours after breakfast and apride), I took a natural yogurt with a little sugar (I still do not dare to put something stronger in the stomach), that is, about 15 gr of HC.
I have done 25 minutes, keeping the pulsations with the pulsemaker between 60 and 70 % (142 and 155) for another 20 minutes.
When I finished I have stretched 15 minutes and then I had 163, and at the time of the last measure, I have measured myself and had 244.
This 244 is still a false blood glucose ??Although it was after an hour and a half practically?I did not correct it ??

DiabetesForo
12/08/2010 7:16 a.m.

What happened to the end?Neihs

You better see things with greater perspective ... a rare or inexplicable day we all have it ...
He continues to exercise if another day the same glycemia pattern is repeated.

DiabetesForo
12/08/2010 3:01 p.m.

Well, I already answer you with someday more experience.
In general, when I run in the afternoon, the glucose often gets off a little, I get better at dinner time, but it doesn't show much.
I believe that the case that I told you is because I exercised in the morning.And from what I see, in the morning the sugar tends to raise my sugar more than in the afternoon.It will be because they are already the last hours of the Lantus, which I put it at 5:30.

Between 11 and 3 in the afternoon, anything like, or any activity I do, it seems that it folds its effect on sugar, I am trying to reduce half -day lunch from two portions to one, and I think thatI will end up eating only when I noticed me ...

DiabetesForo
12/24/2010 8:32 a.m.

Hello, as they are, yesterday I had an episode of these and it depressed me all day, I lift me very early with normal glycemia and I think that very low, after doing as two hs d act sometimes m rise and others low ... butI didn't know that it was normal that after the activity rises ... and that is very nervous !!!Today I woke up at 6 am with 54 and after two hs d act it gave me 197 ...

DiabetesForo
04/19/2014 11:10 a.m.

Hello, something similar usually happens to me while I work (I am in a warehouse loading and downloading packages).

I work in the afternoons and the Lantus I put it at night when I get home (about 12h or 1h in the morning).I had to change the Lantus at night because if I punctured it at the time of the food, since it was their most effective hours they got together with my work and gave me many downs.

Now is the opposite.After eating (16:00 in the afternoon) I am with figures between 120 and 160 (normally to start the day with the sugar not very low because of the exercise I do), and as the partner says, there have been days that without eating anythingThroughout the afternoon and working I have arrived at the time of dinner (about 22:30) with 260-280 ... and I flipping ... it will be that the Lantus does not take effect.

According to my educator that happens because I am many hours without fast insulin, he says that I should snack and click in the afternoon.
It will be the day, the state of encouragement, the time I do .... I don't know ... but that's what I had most out of the day.

So I confirm Ferny.

Greetings!

Enrike89's profile photo
Enrike89
04/19/2014 5:54 p.m.

Enrike, the Lantus is not covering you 24 hours and, if you get more doses, they will surely give you hypos at night. You could raise the dose if you put it in the morning.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
04/19/2014 9:46 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

Indeed, before I put 22 from Lantus, I went down to 20, and now I am in 18 for that reason, because they gave me hypos at night.

In the end I will talk to my endocrine and propose the prick the Lantus in the morning, to see if it works for me better in the afternoon.

Enrike89's profile photo
Enrike89
04/19/2014 10:36 p.m.

Hello,

I also like to play sports almost every day (one or two hours).I was testing with Lantus at all hours, breakfast, food, dinner, mid -afternoon, etc.At night I used to climb the sugar and in the morning before eating I lowered me a lot, so that the lantus-ultrarapida combination did not go well.Then I tried to get Mix50 and Lantus at night and ultrarapide at breakfasts and meals with very good results.Logically I have to put less than Lantus than before because when getting together with the mix 50 I lower the night sugar, but I can control the sugar throughout the night and have little basal during the day, to avoid descents when walking or doing sports.

The endocrine told me that there was no problem in maintaining this combination and that I decided that I have been with this system for several years and I usually get good glycosylated levels.

All the best

jriquelme's profile photo
jriquelme
04/21/2014 2:39 p.m.

@olgilla I with the bomb at the beginning of carrying it, they told me that no excesses until the basal calculates and I thought it could only be one hour with it removed.
But at the time I started exercising again Buff the hypoglycemia were inevitable.I tested as my doctor told me and I realized that I can be up to 2 and a half exercising without carrying it and without problem.
I find it curious about the climbs after the exercise, today someone who told me the same thing and I had never heard it, she explained to me the same thing @owash says

GemaTer's profile photo
GemaTer
11/09/2015 3:44 p.m.

Conviviendo con la diabetes desde 1986
Aviva Combo Junio 2015
Freestyle Enero 2016
Dexcom g4 Octubre 2016
Ultima Hb1ac 5,7

Hello everyone.
I have been in a gym for more or less, I go in alternate days and usually make various machines for an hour, an hour and a half ..
Before going my glucose levels were more or less controlled, both before and after meals.
Since I go to the gym my levels have been completely altered, if my level before going is 150-160 (after having breakfast or snack) when I return my levels on the 300 .. 340-360-450 ...
Immediately I get fast insulin, Apidra, because I have waited for the order of an hour to go down and if alone it never goes down.Sometimes I had to put amounts of apidra of 12 and 15 every half hour -3 or 4 times until stability on the 130s a couple of hours later.
I really become bad when this happens to me, pressure on my head, blurred view and dizziness.
I don't know what to do, I told my header doctor what I would choose and told me to "stop exercising."

I know that the physical exercise is very beneficial to reduce weight, reduce the levels of sugar, I also have other pathologies associated with diabetes that would improve but it scares me a lot when I measure the sugar and exceed 350. Then I am with very high levels the restThe next day and the next day I get up above 200.
If I am two days without going to the gym, I return to normal levels.

This began to notice this summer that we went to Urbasa and made several days of marches through the mountain, after the walks my sugar always exceeded the 300.
I don't know what I can do or to what should, but I don't want to stop exercising.
Thanks in advance for reading me.

ARMONY's profile photo
ARMONY
11/23/2015 1:07 p.m.

Many data are missing to help you, to exercise there must always be a minimum level of insulin in the basal body (lantus or less)Exercise will upload the glucose .. we do not know the type of machines you do, aerobics (tape, bicycle, elliptical) or anaerobic of muscles, you will already know that the first ones of lowering the glucose and the second ones (provided that goals a little weight) The levels will rise to you, in many things to know and to control that we do not know ..

All the best

sigsauer's profile photo
sigsauer
11/23/2015 1:59 p.m.

Thanks for answering, I usually do 20 min.Elliptics, 20 minutes tape and 30 to 45 min on the static bicycle.Very sporadically I do some exercise in a machine to strengthen the legs, but just 5 minutes.I never put insulin before going to the gym ... for the descent (which I have never had one because I always have it high), I insulin put it at night always after dinner.
I'm going to try to get fast insulin before going to see if the levels do not upload me so much.
Thank you very much.

ARMONY's profile photo
ARMONY
11/23/2015 4:04 p.m.

If you revolutionize your heart and the previous days you have taken p.ej paste sprinkling and others glucose will upload almost certain.
If you start high or for example 140 and take a juice before you will upload, when I exercise and I have it high, it does not go down until I put a small insu aid and falls already empicated, however intense it is and up to two and a half hours ofTraining that I have tried does not go down, by putting a unit only of insulin has fallen empicated at 40 min and the following hours and well controlling with gels and bars

jconegar's profile photo
jconegar
11/23/2015 4:11 p.m.

Miembro del equipo moderador del foro.

Ultima prueba realizada:
Maratón San Petesrburgo (Rusia)
https://luchojuntoamidiabetes.blogspot.com/2019/07/maraton-san-petersburgo-rusa-42195-mts.html

Prueba deportiva Ruta de las Fortalezas.
http://luchojuntoamidiabetes.blogspot.com/2019/05/ruta-de-las-fortalezas-2019-54700.html

Facebook: Jorge Moto
Usuario Dexcom G6 y microinfusora Tandem T: Slim X2 Basal IQ

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.