{'en': 'Travel with diabetes: the airport', 'es': 'Viajar con diabetes: el aeropuerto'} Image

Travel with diabetes: the airport

Eva Bajo Picaporte's profile photo   05/16/2014 3:10 p.m.

Hello again,

For my economic situation and partly for comfort I have not taken a plane since they diagnosed me, but now I have a trip to France, so I would like you to tell me what experiences you have with the luggage control at the airport.

What kind of permission do I need to travel with insulin and needles?(Use Novorapid and Levemir flexpen), how much insulin should it take me? How do I put an emergency ration on the plane without problems? Should the glucagon carry?

Thank you!!

Eva Bajo Picaporte's profile photo
Eva Bajo Picaporte
05/16/2014 3:10 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Hello, I often travel and I have never had problems, they have never stopped me but I do a report that my head doctor has made me saying that I am type I diabetics and that I need to take with me: the
MCG (Continuous glucose meter, I've been wearing one) and sensors, feathers or insulin vials, needles and syringes, gluconomethal, gluconist strips, puncturer and lancets and if at that time I am taking other things too., Juice or juice orSuggage, sugar and solid food.
In Spanish and in English.
As I had a very modern doctor, he sent me to write it with everything he neededIt has in my story when I see that it is already very passed by date again and that's it.
I already tell you that they have never asked me but it is fine to take it by case.

If I'm going to go for a long time, I have a mini fridge to carry several unleashed bolis

Gala's profile photo
Gala
05/16/2014 3:28 p.m.

"Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro"

Thank you very much for the gala information!My header has only put insulin in the report and I was afraid to have a problem with the lancet, needles and glucometer.Besides that he has not put any juice, etc.I think I will ask my endocrine, it will be simpler, I think this man had not made a report for diabetics and, being sincere, is a bit disaster with the computer.

Eva Bajo Picaporte
05/16/2014 3:43 p.m.

I have also traveled by plane and it was enough for me to carry an official medical report.

david29's profile photo
david29
05/16/2014 6:31 p.m.

Lantús 0-22-0 Novorapid 3-7-0
Hemo 7

I have also traveled by plane, although a long time ago, I took everything in the hand luggage along with an endocrine report, and no problem.
The last time I had the bomb and I was a little worried (in case I whistled and I died of the scare (you see you)) because I did not take it in the control, but nothing I think they already know very well about this.

belefe74's profile photo
belefe74
05/16/2014 7:16 p.m.

Diagnosticada en 1997
Siempre intentando mejorar.

And in the ships, the same, without problems, although they made me put in the tray the glucometer but also the mobile and the photo camera that I carried in my bag, they said nothing, that was in Athens to the climb of theship

Gala's profile photo
Gala
05/16/2014 9:12 p.m.

I had not traveled by plane either since DM1 diagnosed me, several years ago, and last week I made my great trip through my birthday and went to Japan with a scale in Dubai.I read a lot here in the forum but you always have the intrigue of what will happen above all with so different cultures and the language you do not understand.My endocrine also made me a report in Spanish and English, but the truth is that it was not as precise as the gala, I talked about the bolis, the glucometer, lancetas, needles, but since I did not say any juices, I loaded myself withSuggers and bars to wear hand luggage.Luckily in none of the 3 airports (Madrid, Dubai and Tokyo) or the first leg or around I had to teach the report or my backpack with the provisions, I do not even pit in the control or anything.I also spend Boli de Novorapid and Lantus, my trip was 10 days and according to my calculations with one of each I had left, but I took another one of each one to release just in case, but without refrigerating or anything, and always with me in my backpack andAs hand luggage in the plane (if I had to wear more bolis if I had tried to get the individual neverita that famous).In the end I was left over from all sugar, needles, lancetas, bars, because on the plane they feed me until satiety (there the measures were a little crazy for so much time change, and 17 hours of flight, but I am happy for not havingNever arrive at 300 :)), but what was said, better than about, not to miss;) luck and enjoy the trip, because although it seems a lie I have realized that the part of the airport is already part of the adventure :)

valky's profile photo
valky
05/17/2014 3:46 p.m.

DM1 Debut diciembre 2004.

Hello good,
In my case on a trip to Mexico, the hostesses "requisitioned me" insulin and they returned it 7 hours later when we arrived in Cancun.

mostov's profile photo
mostov
05/20/2014 2:03 p.m.

Mostov, with a medical report they cannot requisition insulin, you may need it at any time.I would have put a serious claim to the company.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
05/20/2014 7:17 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

With what they tell you above, medical report with what you need and that's it.As @regina says, they should not take away anything.
Ah!and the pump, neither whistle nor anything in the controls;)

INTRUSA's profile photo
INTRUSA
05/21/2014 5:51 a.m.

DM1 desde 1991
Bombera desde el 22/07/2013
Última hemo 30/10/2014 --> 6,1%

I have traveled a lot, and everything without problems until we encounter the Americans.I arrived with all the arsenal of needles, bolis, vials ... my endocrine report, they looked at everything with the scanner, they made me drug test, and so much time they had retained that they told me that I did not fit my suitcase in the cabin that theI kept I don't know where ... I took out the right thing I needed and leave the dexcom, insulin and everything in the suitcase ... and ohhh surprise, the suitcase did not arrive and had no justification ... in New York, with insulinfor two days and with a suitcase with a value of more than 3000 euros at some Canada airport.I got so nervous, so pissed off that it is not known how, but I was at the hotel ...

Conclusion: Never separate from insulin, never ...

tica's profile photo
tica
05/21/2014 6:01 p.m.

Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro
DM1 desde 1988
Mamá de 2 niños y a la espera del tercero
Bomba + Dexcom

NEVER

Regina's profile photo
Regina
05/21/2014 9:02 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)

In the handbag, always.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
05/21/2014 9:03 p.m.

Tica said:
Conclusion: Never separate from insulin, never ...

I can't agree more, insulin, sugar, strips, etc ... always on top!;)

Something similar happened to me, it was shortly after the twin towers, I was traveling to Seattle (USA), just before climbing the plane there was a control, and they asked me in an English that I did not understand "wears sharp objects in the bag? ", I told him no, and they made me open, when they saw that I was carrying the bowling, needles and such, they set up a" chicken "and the superior of the insurance that reviewed me had to come, in the end they let me pass ...

But, when I was in the middle of the "finger" (the tunnel that connects with the plane), I hear that they are running from behind and shouting, "myster !!!", "myster !!!" ... everyone looking at me,It was sure again ... total, to give it the seat number where I was going, everyone looking at me as if I were a terrorist or something similar ... my conclusion, never, never travel by plane if you can avoid it!;)

fer's profile photo
fer
05/22/2014 4:52 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

I went to Holland with a medical report in English made by my endocrine.At Amsterdam airport, on the way back, I had no problem but the first leg in Madrid was a Calvary.The Segurata and the Civil Guard girl told me that they did not have to know English (...) and that it did not happen with that (strips, meter, insulin ...).In the end came the boss of one of the two, who had a better will, and I passed, but the one who lined me that pair of palurdos !!!

(What I tell is only an anecdote, I suppose that, in general, both bodies are made up of professionals who do win the salary without humping people).

ROAR's profile photo
ROAR
05/23/2014 5:52 p.m.

To me in Madrid they were cache and almost left me in leathers because they whistled the sandals and that the police told me that I would not barefoot that with that footwear nothing happened, because less bad that nothing happened ... because an aunt came andHe put my hand to x inside my pants ... and I thought and now what they open my suitcase .... They stop me for sure !!Because of the insulins nothing at all

Gala's profile photo
Gala
05/23/2014 7:18 p.m.

We had problems with insulin syringes on an Air France flight.They did not give us permission to get on the plane until the pilot did not give his consent, but, without problems.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
05/23/2014 7:37 p.m.

Thank you very much!I already have the English report of my endocrine.The truth is that I am excited, and that it is a little trip of anything, but it makes so much that I do not travel and I look very curious to know how I fix them in that situation, I love to put myself to the test: P
I will tell you my experience at the airportoo.

Eva Bajo Picaporte
06/02/2014 3 p.m.

Stop it well.
I traveled at 20 days of diagnosing myself and then several more times.
In Barajas I detected the needles but I said it was diabetic and I did not have to present the medical report although I carried it in both languages.
In the US they have never reviewed heparin (I need long flights) and I assure you that the needle is longer than those of insulin.That if the ordering, tablet, ebook ... It makes me want to give them to not lose the connection.

You cannot pass juices, I took cookies without sugar, whole wheat bread and sugar and without problems.You cannot pass dairy derivatives or animals or in hand luggage or in the warehouse suitcase;It is an international regulation.

If you give you a hiccup on the flight, the hostess will bring you a juice full of sugar.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
04/04/2016 8:59 p.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

Hello, I have traveled a lot (Japon, USA, India, Asia, South America ...) I have never had any problem.They have asked me, I say that I am diabetic and without problem.I have not needed it but I always have a Spanish and English report of my endocrine where I certify that I need all the material, this is important to take it.
Also as advice, I always carry the insulin in duplicate, half I and half my partner.And two glucometer in case the flies.Greetings

albertot's profile photo
albertot
04/04/2016 10:25 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.