My experience with Abbott Freestyle

Antoniora's profile photo   01/08/2016 10:30 a.m.

Hello everyone, after the warm welcome, I'm going to talk about Abbott Freestyle.

Several as I have entered, you have asked me and I will help you with everything I can.

* 1º.- And more importantly, if you want it, register already, but already, on its website.
I enrolled in April, principles, and as a Christmas gift, they gave me a user and count to buy (I had 9 months on the waiting list, so imagine ...)

*2º.- The device

It has 2 parts, the meter and the sensor.

- The meter can be plugged into the PC by USB, download the data to the manufacturer's app and the battery is thus recharged.
To measure the measurement, just pass the meter near the sensor, nothing happens if you are dressed, and whistle when you have done it, it is tactile and very configurable, a good tool.
Note: Do not stop targeting your measurements in another application, notebook, book ... since it is good to bring parallel control, since the data is not 100% reliable.

- The sensor, small, circular and superficial, with a "short skewer that is nailed to the skin and is subcutaneous. It works to a stack and lasts approximately 14 days (not reusable).
He has a simple applicator, is stuck to the skin (and eager, the glue is good) and simple to remove.The sugar is measured by approaching the meter to the sensor, which only applies in the back of the arms.According to the manufacturer, it is only valid for adults.

You will never leave hair measurements.But you will drastically reduce the amount of measurements.

The first day of use (that the sensor is calibrating) and the last days of the sensor (that the sensor is running out of a pile), the sensor is not necessary.In those days it is almost mandatory to make parallel capillary measurements, for not carrying us, which is when it can vary.
Also, if you have doubts, that a measurement is correct, measure.It happens to me, I measure me and around 20% of the time the capillary measurement varies (it fails little in the days of approximately 2 to 12).
Notes: sugar variability goes from 0 to 40 units mg/l (in my case).

*3º.- Keep a parallel record
I recommend it, I take it.I, with the mobile app that I use, daily diabetes diabetes, I have a parallel control.
I make 8 daily measurements, breakfast, food, snack and dinner, before and after, apart from the times I feel bad.
When it ends every month, this is going to be my first month, I am going to get the data from the application of ABBott Freestyle PC, from the mobile app, I will export them to Excel, and add to each measurement the relevant note (with themobile app put many data, which are super useful).When I take it out to Excel and take out the level curves, I can see if I need to vary any dose of insulin.

Well, I hope you have helped you, if you have any questions, ask here.
Thanks to this device to measure 8x14 punctures in 15 days (they would be theoretically), I have dropped to 8x3 punctures in 3 days (approximately), which is a joy.

Antoniora's profile photo
Antoniora
01/08/2016 10:30 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

I have taken it for 15 days, and today I will put on the second, I have not wanted to spliced ​​them, because it is quite expense and I do not consider it necessary to carry out good control, at least it does not give me great solutions.

If it is true that you avoid a puncture, more than anything because the figure that the machine tells you is linked to a parallel arrow usually coincides with the capillary measurement.

With what I had days that only my finger looked at me, provided that the figure was between 90-140 with the arrow in parallel, if the arrows go up or down you have to measure.

Tb I understand that the first day the patch is not very fine, but it has done well from the first day to the last one, to see what happens with the second one to carry.

Using it has served me to realize that it is not worth buying the Dexcom, I do not have too many hypos and I all detect them right away, in addition to the Abbot as soon as I notice something weird, I make it happen and I verify that I have.

Recommend buying it?

aranzazuleg's profile photo
aranzazuleg
01/08/2016 11:20 a.m.

And when the arrow marks up or down trend, is it quite reliable?

RocioLlinares's profile photo
RocioLlinares
01/08/2016 11:23 a.m.

Mamá de María. 15 años. Diagnósticada 05/06/2015
Humalog
Tresiba
@RocioLlinares
Última hemo 6,1

Yes, it is reliable, but you have to see when you measure yourself, if you are doing sports, you just had sugar with hypoglycemia ... the meter, to understand us, measures you the sugar you had approximately 5 minutes ago.

Antoniora
01/08/2016 12:04 p.m.

Aranza, how lucky you have so well sugar, I'm glad for you.
I have the unruly sugar, I am 40 to 300 in the process of regulation, lowering the glycoxylated, with less and less hyper/hypo.
I check the hair glycemia too, because I read Jediazucara, which also uses it, which is sometimes imprecise, and I have checked it.

Antoniora
01/08/2016 12:16 p.m.

Yes, the truth is that I do not have it very disparate, which I had not noticed until I got into this forum and I saw that there are people of everything.

Well, the trends at least vary greatly, that is, the same marks you 180 with arrow up and you have 240, so the rectification is not the Mass, my as much as it puts you 80 with a arrow down, probably already this is alreadygiving the downturn.
I just fell when the arrow is in parallel, if you are blindly, taking into account the trend arrows, it is very easy for youUnit of more or less.

aranzazuleg
01/08/2016 12:44 p.m.

I can spend four days without making any glucometer measurement.I check only the first days and little more to make sure it goes well.

Anaisabel's profile photo
Anaisabel
01/08/2016 12:46 p.m.

That is afraid that it gives me, that my daughter pays attention to what she says without checking.

RocioLlinares's profile photo
RocioLlinares
01/08/2016 12:56 p.m.

Mamá de María. 15 años. Diagnósticada 05/06/2015
Humalog
Tresiba
@RocioLlinares
Última hemo 6,1

I've been using freestyle since a year and a half.I have used about 10 sensors.Do not serve anything.Better listen to your body than to know what asks you to depend on a device.I would trust the capillary than that.
At the beginning it is a novelty, and with the Roll of the app and decarge the graphics on the web, one comes arriva that has everything controlled.But then you realize that you are punctured the capillary more times than when you used the freestyle.The measurements give a difference of up to 120 points in my case in certain situations and that forces you to count on the capillary, and it entails as I say to prick you more than usual.
I neither recommend nor advisely to buy it.

mirleft's profile photo
mirleft
01/08/2016 1:58 p.m.

And are you still with the sensors?
If I will not use it so bad.
I do well and I recommend that it be proven.Each is a world.And if you don't like anything else.
:)

Anaisabel's profile photo
Anaisabel
01/08/2016 2:03 p.m.

I also tell you Mirleft, which I have read that the sensors, at first they failed, that even neither started.They improved the version, I don't know when, and they go for version 2.0, so to speak.To me for now the maximum deviation has given me 40 units.The deviation is greater the more extreme is your sugar (hyper/hypo).

Antoniora
01/08/2016 2:13 p.m.

@Mirleft, that lack of reliability linked to my poor economy is what makes me think, although I probably ended up buying it to try it, as @anaisabel says, each is a world ... What I discard is listening to the body.At least that of my daughter, too many times she sends deceptive messages, for example she has a couple of days with an unpleasant feeling of downturn, despite having her glycemia well, so she is measured to rule out the hiccPerhaps ... and when you have hypoglycemia, you sometimes have symptomatology and others none at all.With the hyper the same ... the high glycemia maintained usually gives it thirst and feeling of heaviness, but an occasional high blood glucose does not give it symptoms, and the only thing that speaks clearly is the glucometer.So depending on a device we have more than assumed ... what is needed is that it is a good device.;)

Ainhoa's profile photo
Ainhoa
01/08/2016 2:35 p.m.

Dulce introducción al caos...
DT 3

anaisabel said:
And are you still with the sensors?
If I will not use it so bad.
I do well and I recommend that it be proven.Each is a world.And if you don't like anything else.

I only use the glucometer.
:)

mirleft's profile photo
mirleft
01/08/2016 3:42 p.m.

When the arrows are up or down it is normal that there is a lotWith a 150 with arrow up you are surely in 200 and something, when you are stable, parallel arrow, it is when you will have the same figure less.These devices are really worth giving trends.
That is why I put the alarms at 85 and 130, so that I let me know before having a hypoglycemia and not having it or that it shoots a lot and being able to correct

Gala's profile photo
Gala
01/08/2016 4:38 p.m.

"Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro"

I only carry 4 sensors and at the moment no complaints.@Antoniora how the first day of use and the last of life are not precise, the truth, I do not know where you have taken it, it has not happened to me and I had never read it in all the open threads that there areHere about the free freestyle, in fact, if you subtract the first and "last" days of precision of the 14 days of the sensor's life, it goes sco-inversion that we are doing.As he said very well @gala the interstitial measurements are 15 mts before not 5 mts if no one corrects me.
@Mirleft I already commented on another thread about the free that the maximum differences with the capillary have been about 30mg/dl, if there is a difference of 120 or I think that the sensor is wrong or that I have done something out of the common (sauna, very heat etc ..) If I give me that difference with the sensor placed in the right place and sitting on the couch and the following measurements give me the same values, I take off my sensor and return it ..
In my experience, I trust the trend arrow of the mobile application (Liapp) than that of the official reader itself because many times I know that the glucose is lowering me, the ABBOTt reader brand horizontal arrow and that of the Liapp descending ..

I do not know whether or not it is necessary to carry good control of the glycemia, I personally think that if you can correct at all times and in any circumstance without the security you have when you are away from home doing sports, curing, ofPurchases, for a walk, birthday, celebration etc, etc.

All the best

sigsauer's profile photo
sigsauer
01/08/2016 6:45 p.m.

gala said:
When the arrows are up or down it is normal that there is a lot of difference with the capillary because it has been about 15 minutes of delay no 5 as you comment on, that is, with 80Under it is more than problable that you start being in hypoglycemia and with a 150 with arrow up you are surely in 200 and something, when you are stable, parallel arrow, it is when you less will have the same figure. these devices for whatthat really are worth giving trends.

exact.There is a lot of misinformation with continuous measurement (or that of the free, which is not technically considered continuous).These devices work well, but they will always always be less reliable when there are important glucose fluctuations, since that delay between blood glucose and interstitial will be accused more.That is, in moments of maximum insulin action ... in hypoglycemia ... in moments of a lot of physical activity ... after a meal ... this is the ABC of continuous measurement.Many people write to me telling me that if Dexcom or free is wrong ... and give me absolute differences.That is useless.I do not know at what time that has been, or if there were circumstances to take into account, or if those capillary measurements were correct (it must be remembered that capillary meters have up to 15% error allowed by law).
I believe - and I have already said this on the blog - that it would be mandatory to do a formation in these devices.It is not good that the use of a technology that people or understand their peculiarities are expanding, nor knows howentering as an elephant in a pot.

HanSolo's profile photo
HanSolo
01/08/2016 6:50 p.m.

ISCI / debut: 1986 / HbA1c: 5,5%

Well, I've been since they started selling them and the truth is that they went from Fabula from minute 1 to the end of the sensor's life.I used to check with capillary medication once a day to make sure that I was still reliable, and sometimes not even daily.

But I do not know that they will have made them lately they are not so accurate, being at 120-150 levels, I usually give me free around 30-40 more, and if I am higher it is usually the difference of 60-80.Free always makes me higher.You may say that it is not much difference, but before the free almost nailed the capillary measurement and if you have to correct with insulin I can no longer trust anything because there are those differences that suppose one-two more insulin units more or one-two-Ter less insulin units

As for the equal adhesion, before I lasted perfectly the 14 days but at the beginning of last summer they began to have adhesion problems before reaching their end of life.I think the same, what are they doing?

Personally they are starting to go worse than the first approximately nine months.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
01/08/2016 7:16 p.m.

I have changed my life.I recommend 100 %

rafach's profile photo
rafach
01/09/2016 9:02 a.m.

Diebetico desde hace 12 años. Ultima hemo 6.9%. Usuario de freestyle.

You have to have the account that the capillary measurements do not take them away in its entirety, but if any puncture, I do see good values ​​less than 140 in the device I do not look at me, even so that of the Mñn I always do it.
I think this is for people who have been with diabetes for years and want to know a little more about their body, I don't see it for people who start by you just looking at an apparatus that is not 100% reliable, and correcting without exact values, let's goFuck.

aranzazuleg
01/21/2016 12:11 p.m.

The capillary glucometer is not 100% reliable either, the only 100% reliable thing is blood analysis ...

sigsauer's profile photo
sigsauer
01/21/2016 2:52 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.