Diabetes and running

albertot's profile photo   03/09/2016 10:32 p.m.

Since I have put the insulin bomb I can not control the issue of sport.Previously with Lantus/Novorapid he simply took some hydrate before running (apple) and some juice during or after the race and all ok.

Now with the pump and following my educator's advice, I disconnect it 30 minutes before and take some hydrate before or during the race to avoid hypoglycemia.With this I avoid hypoglycemia during the activity, but when returning home and after a few minutes there is a bestial peak ... I do not understand ...

Today I have tried temporary at 50% 30 minutes before (instead of disconnection) and consume some hydrate to avoid hypoglycemia.Again avoid hypoglycemia, but another important peak when returning home for a few minutes.I don't understand...

Any advice?I avoid hypoglycemia but I have a bestial peak when I return home and after a few minutes.
Do I put a bolus at the end of the exercise to compensate?

Thank you

albertot's profile photo
albertot
03/09/2016 10:32 p.m.

Let's see if a sport experience can give you a more accurate answer, but a priori, two possibilities occur to me:

- That by reducing basal insulin and exercising, when the liver releases glucose reserves to meet the energy demand of the muscles and it cannot pass to the cells (by the reduction of insulin), it is circulating in the blood andHence the beak

- Have gastroparesia and food take a long time to digest and therefore raise glucose.

By the way, that of disconnecting the pump, and therefore risk to run out of circulating insulin (especially when exercising) seems to me that it can be a bit dangerous.

Con_Q_de_quimica's profile photo
Con_Q_de_quimica
03/09/2016 10:51 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Intense physical exercise makes the organism itself release and generate more glucose, a light exercise can be lowered, but if it is more intense, a mechanism of generating glucose is created.

hoyos9's profile photo
hoyos9
03/09/2016 11:32 p.m.

The exercise I do is quite intense.So can it be "normal" that I have to put a bolus after exercise?

As my educator explained to me, the exercise reduces insulin needs ... it does not increase them ... but it is that during the exercise I lowers me a lot and I have to take some hydrate before or during (on glucose) and then backThe climb comes home ... The first day I disconnected the bomb was a very large peak and today with a lower temporary basal one a minor peak.

Or what do I do?Don't I get temporary basal either and I just take hydrates before?What a mess ...

In principle I have no gastric problems.

Thank you

albertot's profile photo
albertot
03/09/2016 11:41 p.m.

Well, I think your educator was wrong;Insulin is what allows glucose to pass into the cells so that they can convert them into energy, so when you exercise you need insulin so that glucose can take advantage, but risk a ketoacidosis.

If when you used bolis (and you did not modify the basal dose) you solved it by eating hydrates, when you completely take away the insulin you do sudden peaks and when you put 50% you make a smaller peak, it may still be that it lacks glucose to cover the needs of the exercise.

Exercise (in general) reduces insulin resistance, so it is possible that a person who begins to do sports notes that he needs less insulin in his day to day, but that does not mean that sport is practiced less than when you are when you aresitting or sleeping.

Con_Q_de_quimica
03/09/2016 11:51 p.m.

Hello, I do a little sport and carry a bomb.
I tell you so slightly, if you say that it did not happen to you and by reducing the basal it happens to you, I would remove basal reduction about 20 min before finishing.
It also depends on the type of exercise, on adrenaline, if you make series, those that influence.
Here as you know 2+2 they are not always 4, we are not a book, nor are we all the same, nor in the same situation the same happens twice.
I am very better than before, much less gels intake.
The food is also very important, drinking water for muscles loads the glucogen well, it will also depend on what you have eaten that day and the previous ones, if you carry enough glycogen load or not.
There are a thousand factors that influence.

jconegar's profile photo
jconegar
03/10/2016 10:12 a.m.

Miembro del equipo moderador del foro.

Ultima prueba realizada:
Maratón San Petesrburgo (Rusia)
https://luchojuntoamidiabetes.blogspot.com/2019/07/maraton-san-petersburgo-rusa-42195-mts.html

Prueba deportiva Ruta de las Fortalezas.
http://luchojuntoamidiabetes.blogspot.com/2019/05/ruta-de-las-fortalezas-2019-54700.html

Facebook: Jorge Moto
Usuario Dexcom G6 y microinfusora Tandem T: Slim X2 Basal IQ

For example, I did leg work in the gym (squats and others).I started in about 140, I went down a little to 120 and from there up to 210. As soon as I stopped and got 45 minutes on the tape I went down to 85-90.
With the weights I see these peaks more normal, but they surprise me more about going running or bike

nacho's profile photo
nacho
03/10/2016 10:39 a.m.

This is a mess.In this article, the issue of DMT1 and Sport is very well explained:

Link

It comes to say that sport allows glucose entry into the body without insulin, that sport reduces insulin needs etc.And it is also true that it says that sport never replaces insulin, there must always be a bit active.

It is perfect.Well, I put my basal for 50% and run.Hypoglycemia with the temporary basal for 50% and with a glucose envelope during the race, but when he returned home, already with the pump in normal basal ... Buoala ... Upon ... and I need an important bolus forcorrect.Because?.Can it be the liver that begins to put glucose to recover?If so, sport implies greater insulin needs and not the setback as experts say.

I don't know ... is each body a world?Or is there an explanation?

Thanks and greetings,

albertot's profile photo
albertot
03/10/2016 1:26 p.m.

Pay me attention plug the bomb before finishing, and if you want to try to avoid that, if you end up revolutionized it ends softer.
Sport if you get less insulin but we do not care about that, I do sports because it is good for our health, and to avoid insulin resistances.
Each body is a world and it will not happen to you twice the same.

jconegar's profile photo
jconegar
03/10/2016 5:15 p.m.

Ultima prueba realizada:
https://luchojuntoamidiabetes.blogspot.com/2019/07/maraton-san-petersburgo-rusa-42195-mts.html

http://luchojuntoamidiabetes.blogspot.com/2019/05/ruta-de-las-fortalezas-2019-54700.html

I do sports because I like it and to be fit, I don't care if I have to get more or less insulin.I just want to control the glucose, that I do not give me a downturn and I do not get a rush.

Today again ... Fail ... I don't finish catching the trick to the pump and exercise.

I put temporal basal at 50% - 30 minutes before exercise and for 1 hour and take apple.I run 40 minutes and at the end I have 90 and going down to all milk.I take orange juice.I can avoid hypoglycemia but at 20 minutes up ... that is, it goes down very quickly during the second part and puts a rush when I am already at home.I get an important bolus to get off.

What I do?.Do I try to disconnect the pump before (1 hour before instead of 30 minutes) to avoid the downturn during the exercise?

Thank you

albertot's profile photo
albertot
03/10/2016 7:44 p.m.

I do not carry a bomb but something similar ever happened to me.Going to run after snack or shortly after lunch around 180-200, from 20 min begins to go down and depending on the duration of the exercise, finish between 70 and 100. And without taking anything blood glucose begins to rise again.I think that in my case it is that the exercise consumes the sugars in blood and those that digestion is generating.After sport, continuous digestion and blood glucose increases as there is no extra consumption due to the exercise already finished.
To say that the meals I mean were somewhat copious and a bit past hydrates.At least that is the explanation that I have found, I don't know if it will be correct.The data was using free freestyle.

calerun's profile photo
calerun
03/10/2016 9:04 p.m.

How difficult I see this sports.You are very close!:)

Anaisabel's profile photo
Anaisabel
03/10/2016 9:48 p.m.

@albertoT The orange juice If natural goes up a barbarity, I tell you from experience the packaging juice I do not know ..

sigsauer's profile photo
sigsauer
03/10/2016 9:57 p.m.

Each one is a world, and the same never happens.I disconnect from 45 min to 1 h and try not to go with an active insulin of any bolus.
But I repeat the same exactly the same and the same does not happen.
You have to try a lot.

jconegar's profile photo
jconegar
03/10/2016 10:21 p.m.

Ultima prueba realizada:

Mola the pirouettes you make with the pump, of course the possibilities it offers to adapt to situations is a pass.

What I do is eat cookies or some slow absorption before exercising, and for whether it is very prolonged, and like silk.Do not usually have to pull gels or cocacola.Thus I avoid starting to do high sports, and I always have hydrates in the body pushing glucose up.

Artorias's profile photo
Artorias
03/11/2016 2:36 a.m.

@albertoT The fast insulin peak at the hour and a half or 2 hours so I believe that for the basal reduction to take effect, you should reduce it a couple of hours before exercising.In this way you would possibly save having to take so many hydrates before and during exercise and therefore the posterior rise.

Inday's profile photo
Inday
03/11/2016 3:07 a.m.

@albertoT I do not exercise intense, but I hit good walks and at the beginning with the bomb was a disaster, in 30 min descent and strong, now I tell you what less worked for me, and as we others say each we areA world, so it will be a question of trying.
I put a DBT of 30% two hours earlier and 30min before I analyze, if I see that I am in 160-180 I connect it to the time 100% and then bass it at the beginning of 30%.At 45 min I look at how I am and according to the freestyle or as cookies or gel.
I still have some decline during, but at least they have 60-65, that the first days was a 40-50 pass and time to recover.
I suppose that what I can do is different for intensity and how it goes to me, but I keep the bomb after 20-30% up to three hours later if I spend 2-3h from walk and 70-80 or low or low orI go up

GemaTer's profile photo
GemaTer
03/11/2016 9:17 a.m.

Conviviendo con la diabetes desde 1986
Aviva Combo Junio 2015
Freestyle Enero 2016
Dexcom g4 Octubre 2016
Ultima Hb1ac 5,7

Equal this link is useful: Link

Con_Q_de_quimica
03/11/2016 10:54 a.m.

Dear colleagues, thanks for your recommendations.I have improved a little by putting the temporary basal before (60 minutes before 30 minutes).

My exercise is always the same, that's why I am very interested in catching the quiet now with the bomb that they have put me recently.

I run 45 min, medium -high intensity (4'5 - 5 km).Yesterday I got a temporary basal 50% - 1 hour before for 1 hour and I got the descent during the race, but I couldn't avoid the subsequent bouncing already back at home.I summarize:

17:00 - TEMPORARY BASAL PUMP FOR 1 TIME - GLUCOSA 97 (BLOOD)
17:56 - Glucose 134 (Blood)

18:00 - I start running (and the right temporal basal will have finished)

18:20 - glucose 126 -> free freestyle
18:25 - Glucose 121 -> Freestyle Free
18:30 - Glucose 74 in blood => Take on glucose 15ch
18:40 - END EXERCISE
Glucose 91 and arrow down freestyle
75 blood glucose
18:42 - Bolus to get ahead to the rush after exercise (as seen above I have always subsequently carried).

19:20 - Upon in blood (less than previous days but important climb) ... I don't know if the effect of the temporal basal or the glucose envelope that I took at the end or because the liver begins to put glucose ....

How do you see it?I don't understand the climb that gives me at 7:20 p.m.

I have thought about trying on Monday to start the temporal basal 75 min before (instead of 60 min) to see if I thus avoid the pronounced descent and I avoid taking the envelope of glucose at the end of the exercise (that could be the cause of the Uponlater).According to Leo in what you have sent me the rapid insulin peak is between 60-90 min.

Forgive for the roll.If someone can advise me, more than grateful.

albertot's profile photo
albertot
03/12/2016 8:40 a.m.

Hi Neguevo, grace for your help I am advancing favorably and I tell you my case in case it serves someone.
The rapid insulin peak is between 1-3 hours later.Yesterday I put the pump in a temporary basal 50% for 1 hour and 1h30 minutes before the exercise and I had no hypoglycemia during the 45 -minute race.

It is weird, when I started running I was already with the pump in normal temporal basal but that is that this insulin is no longer the one that takes effect during the race and I do happen with the temporal basal then I have a rebound that you do not see.

I still had a small posterior rebound ... I understand that still due to the temporal basal ???

Today I will try with 50% temporary basal for 1 hour and 1h30minutos before the exercise and put on a bolus at the end of the exercise to avoid posterior rebound.I hope it works definitively.

albertot's profile photo
albertot
03/16/2016 2:09 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.