{'en': 'Cell transplant to combat type 1 diabetes', 'es': 'Trasplante de células para combatir la diabetes tipo 1'} Image

Cell transplant to combat type 1 diabetes

fer's profile photo   09/10/2015 2:36 p.m.

After having lived with type 1 diabetes for more than two decades, Wendy Peacock was accustomed to the act of constant juggling that represented being aware of their blood sugar, taking insulin and paying attention to everything he ate.

But in recent weeks she could stop taking her insulin after doctors transplanted new cells as part of a clinical trial at the Institute of Diabetes Research (DRI) in UHEALTH, the health system of the University of Miami.

"To think that I can fall asleep at night without worrying if the blood sugar level will lower me, it is almost as if they had taken a weight off me," Peacock said on Wednesday at a press conference where doctors gave toKnow the story of your success.

Video: Diabetic woman Beneficia of cell transplantation - no longer needs insulin
See video: Link

In the case of those suffering from type 1 diabetes, the body's immune system destroys the cells that produce insulin, the hormone that is needed to regulate blood sugar.Around 1.25 million Americans suffer from type 1 diabetes, including 200,000 young people.Those who suffer from the disease have to inject insulin, either through multiple injections or continuously with a pump.They have to measure the level of glucose in their blood by clicking their fingers multiple times a day.

Researchers are studying a new Langerhans cell transplant technique, which are groups of thousands of cells in the pancreas that produce insulin to regulate the blood sugar level.Doctors implemented Langerhans cells within a biodegradable scaffolding in the epiplón, a kind of tissue apron that covers the abdominal organs, to determine if this would be a more viable location than the liver, where many of the implanted cells do not survive.

The doctors transplanted the cells during a laparoscopic operation at the Jackson Memorial Hospital on August 18.The study, approved by the FDA, is a progress step towards the development of the so -called Dri biohub, a mini biodesigned organ that will work as the pancreas to restore the natural production of insulin in people with type 1 diabetes.

From the transplant, Peacock's glucose has remained at a healthy level, and withdrew insulin and all dietary restrictions.

"She is like a non -diabetic person, but she needs drugs against tissue rejection," said Dr. Camillo Ricordi, director of the DRI."When you can do it without anti -suppression, then it will be a cure."

Peacock said it has not experienced side effects as a consequence of drugs.

So, will it start eating ice cream now?

"I have been wearing a strict diet for 26 years," said Peacock, 43."I don't know if I will try the ice cream."

Previously, diabetes ruled Peacock's life.She is a legal consultant who lives with her parents and her 5 -year -old son in San Antonio.

"It is an act of constant juggling," he said.“It's always there.I lived with that constantly. ”

Peacock described how, when the sugar lowered, he felt as if he were in a mist and was difficult to process things and think logically.Peacock developed a condition in which he no longer realized if his sugar lowered, a fairly dangerous situation.

In February 2014, Peacock came to Miami to do tests for the clinical trial, and discovered that it was eligible.On August 16, she traveled to Miami with her father and was admitted to the Jackson for the operation.

"Since then, it has been everything like a whirlpool," he said.“Of course, I was scared, excited andFull of hope. ”

Peacock plans to return to San Antonio this month, and there will continue his life, but without insulin.That will make your daily life much easier, he said.You will no longer have to maintain a mental list around checking the blood in the blood.For example, if you want to go running, you can simply put the tennis and go out without worrying about finding out if you have to eat something first.

Ricordi transplanted the cells in collaboration with Dr. Rodolfo Alejandro, endocrinologist and director of the DRI cell transplantation clinical program;Dr. Gaetano Ciancio, surgeon at Uhealth and director of Urological Transplant Surgery;and Dr. Jose Martínez, Laparoscopic surgeon of Jackson.The team collaborates with other doctors globally, and is hoping to make between 20 and 30 more transplants of this type in the remainder of the year, some of them in the Jackson.

Ricordi told Miami Herald last year that he predicted that, within three to seven years, there would be a cure for type 1 diabetic patients.

“It is not a prediction;It is a promise that I make to patients.We are going to defeat this disease, that's safe, ”Ricordi told Herald in November."Depending on how many obstacles we find, and regulatory complexities and cost, that can take more than 10 years, but we are coming."

Source: Link

fer's profile photo
fer
09/10/2015 2:36 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

"We are going to defeat this disease" ..... of course !!!One way or another, whatever, one day we will live without diabetes :-)

ROAR's profile photo
ROAR
09/12/2015 7:44 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

It seems incredible and very hopeful !!

krrs's profile photo
krrs
10/16/2015 6:30 a.m.

Good!!!!I am very happy for all diabetic children and young people who lead all their lives suffering from this disease and for all in general.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
10/16/2015 8:52 a.m.

Hopefully!!!!Every day my tears skip the future that my daughter is going to have and the thousands of children with diabetes ..... and I go to go thinking that life cannot be so cruel, with the hope that one day I will arriveA cure.

RocioLlinares's profile photo
RocioLlinares
10/16/2015 9:48 a.m.

Mamá de María. 15 años. Diagnósticada 05/06/2015
Humalog
Tresiba
@RocioLlinares
Última hemo 6,1

Excited: ((I hope someday, and if it is no longer for me, that I lived a normal childhood, that it is for children who debut that they can enjoy without this load without understanding, why them.

pochola's profile photo
pochola
10/16/2015 10:02 a.m.

DM1 desde 2011 8 puntos Lantus. Todo esfuerzo traerá su recompensa ♥ Hemo 5.7

I hope they give solutions sooner rather than later :)

pike's profile photo
pike
10/16/2015 11:35 a.m.

DM1 desde 2015-Novorapid 2/2/2/2-Toujeo(en proceso)-Mañana
Glucosilada 4/2017: 7,2

They are trying to get that it does not require immunosuppressive. That will be almost a cure.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
10/16/2015 3:57 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

What good news to start the day, totally encouraging.
Hopefully we have all those who suffer and that one day is ended with diabetes.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
10/16/2015 5:22 p.m.

It is excellent news for DM-1 and I am sure that it will have applications for others, in the DM-2 of evolution (with pancreatic exhaustion).

I want to tell you that I have spoken directly to the Viacyte Research Laboratory about your work in the VC-01 project regarding DM2 applications and also about the problem of self-immunity in DM1.They have been quite cordial, but they are subject to strict control of the USA government that is quite strict in these issues.Soon they will do 1 year of follow -up at 5 dm1 that are under treatment, and it musttime or a single report of acute toxicity or rejection.

In my modest opinion, I think the cure will appear first in DM1 and the solution will be in isolation.The transcavity of the epiplones (which I have ever seen on human corpse) is a good place for its vascularization, but I believe that the isolation will come by devices such as VC-01.The solution for DM2 will be, I think, the regeneration of own beta cells directly taking advantage of the fact that there is no cytotoxic response against them as is the case of DM1.

In summary, it paints very well so that the day comes when we see how science helps us, and are not necessary or immunosuppressants.

joejunior's profile photo
joejunior
10/16/2015 5:48 p.m.

Amèn !!, here to pray!

Regina's profile photo
Regina
10/17/2015 12:51 a.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)

Joe, the VC01, what are they?cell capsules?Are they already being tested in humans?

Regina's profile photo
Regina
10/17/2015 12:53 a.m.

regina said:
joe, the vc01, what are they?cell capsules?They are already being tested in humans?

Regina recently had a very interesting thread in this regard, with contributions from @Joejunior that explains very interesting things in comments: Link

@Joejunior What a good look!

Artorias's profile photo
Artorias
10/17/2015 12:57 a.m.

According to my endocrine in their hospital in 2 years they are going to do a study in newly diagnosed children or very little evolution since the studies that had been done were giving very good results by reversing the process of destruction of their cells (he talked about encapsulated cells)

Gala's profile photo
Gala
10/17/2015 2:03 a.m.

"Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro"

Hello,

That's right, @regina.Clinical trials began in autumn last year.The USA and FDA government are the ones that approve this type of trial, and for the most serious trials (when we talk about clinical trials -clinics = in humans- preclinical vs = animals) it is necessary to record all reports on a government page of theUSAI pass the concrete link of this study: Link

As you can see, it is an official page.The laboratories themselves passed me the link, then it was already easy to find the link of the study.

The study is still in phase 1, and the first results should be published in August 2017. They will not publish anything before, but I think it is a good sign that they do not publish any toxicity or insecurity report, which after all is the objective is the objectiveof phases 1 of clinical trials.That is why such small cohorts are used (notice that it is being tested with small cohorts, with more than 3 years of diagnosed DM1, although the goal is to reach 40 patients for this trial. In this case, they are still in the recruitment phase althoughThey already have the 2 cohorts that I tell you.

The preclinical essay (with mice) was a resounding success.It is true that there have been trials with drugs that have worked well in mice and then in humans they have even been toxic, but it is weird.In addition, it gives me that due to the results in mice (blood glucose to human values ​​in mice was normalized, which are animals that have higher glycemia than us; even without their own beta cells!) That logic tells me that you canBeing prudently optimistic with this project, and I usually be a very pessimistic person.

I will continue to call you from time to time to see if I can find out more details.

joejunior's profile photo
joejunior
10/17/2015 5:53 p.m.

Thanks for all the information, you will have to cross all the fingers.It is a shame that you have to wait to see results, although, as you say, the lack of news is also good news.Things have to go there, put what we lack live.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
10/17/2015 7:26 p.m.

Link

Now they have done exactly the same but in Europe.

I do not understand why this is news if almost 30 years ago that are made of beta cells with immunosuppression and liberation of insulin.Just because instead of the liver they have been inserted in the omento?Well, go novelty ...

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
06/11/2016 12:06 p.m.

En 1922 descubrieron la insulina, en 1930 la insulina lenta. ¿Que c*** han hecho desde entonces?

Now they have done exactly the same but in Europe.

Link

I do not understand why this is news if almost 30 years ago that are made of beta cells with immunosuppression and liberation of insulin.Just because instead of the liver they have been inserted in the omento?Well, go novelty ...

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
06/11/2016 12:07 p.m.

En 1922 descubrieron la insulina, en 1930 la insulina lenta. ¿Que c*** han hecho desde entonces?

As if they put them in the anus.While we need immunosuppression we continue in the stone age with diabetes.

Artorias's profile photo
Artorias
06/11/2016 7:11 p.m.

Whenever they announce a new type of encapsulated transplant, they first prove it without encapsular and with immunosuppression which is evidently a success, thus creates hype and guarantees them covers in the media and financing.Then when they encapsulate it does not work, but they have already become popular and rich.That is why they take so long to do the tests with the really encapsulated cells in humans.

The first one who did this type of fraud was Dr. Dr. Soon-Shiong of the company Vivorx in the early 90s and today is the richest doctor in the world, according to Forbes it has 11 billion dollars.

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
06/11/2016 7:19 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.