{'en': 'Cell transplant to combat type 1 diabetes', 'es': 'Trasplante de células para combatir la diabetes tipo 1'} Image

Cell transplant to combat type 1 diabetes

fer's profile photo   09/10/2015 2:36 p.m.

Words and more words, it is worse to have a medication against rejection that keep clicking insulin.
Being poorly thought, I don't think they get to end diabetes.Too many economic interests

vanessa30's profile photo
vanessa30
02/14/2020 5:02 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

What a pity because there were many experiments but it is seen that none arrives in good port, or even better none arrives

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
02/25/2020 10:45 p.m.

fer said:
after having lived with type 1 diabetes for more than two decades, Wendy Peacock was accustomed to the act of constant juggling that represented being aware of the sugar in her blood, taking insulin andPay attention to everything I ate.

But in recent weeks she could stop taking her insulin after doctors transplanted new cells as part of a clinical trial at the Institute of Diabetes Research (DRI) in UHEALTH, the health system of the University of Miami.

See video: Link

In the case of those suffering from type 1 diabetes, the body's immune system destroys the cells that produce insulin, the hormone that is needed to regulate blood sugar.Around 1.25 million Americans suffer from type 1 diabetes, including 200,000 young people.Those who suffer from the disease have to inject insulin, either through multiple injections or continuously with a pump.They have to measure the level of glucose in their blood by clicking their fingers multiple times a day.

Researchers are studying a new Langerhans cell transplant technique, which are groups of thousands of cells in the pancreas that produce insulin to regulate the blood sugar level.Doctors implemented Langerhans cells within a biodegradable scaffolding in the epiplón, a kind of tissue apron that covers the abdominal organs, to determine if this would be a more viable location than the liver, where many of the implanted cells do not survive.

The doctors transplanted the cells during a laparoscopic operation at the Jackson Memorial Hospital on August 18.The study, approved by the FDA, is a progress step towards the development of the so -called Dri biohub, a mini biodesigned organ that will work as the pancreas to restore the natural production of insulin in people with type 1 diabetes.

From the transplant, Peacock's glucose has remained at a healthy level, and withdrew insulin and all dietary restrictions.

"She is like a non -diabetic person, but she needs drugs against tissue rejection," said Dr. Camillo Ricordi, director of the DRI."When you can do it without anti -suppression, then it will be a cure."

Peacock said it has not experienced side effects as a consequence of drugs.

So, will it start eating ice cream now?

"I have been wearing a strict diet for 26 years," said Peacock, 43."I don't know if I will try the ice cream."

Previously, diabetes ruled Peacock's life.She is a legal consultant who lives with her parents and her 5 -year -old son in San Antonio.

"It is an act of constant juggling," he said.“It's always there.I lived with that constantly. ”

Peacock described how, when the sugar lowered, he felt as if he were in a mist and was difficult to process things and think logically.Peacock developed a condition in which he no longer realized if his sugar lowered, a fairly dangerous situation.

In February 2014, Peacock came to Miami to do tests for the clinical trial, and discovered that it was eligible.On 16August, she traveled to Miami with her father and was admitted to Jackson for the operation.

"Since then, it has been everything like a whirlpool," he said."Of course, I was scared, excited and full of hope."

Peacock plans to return to San Antonio this month, and there will continue his life, but without insulin.That will make your daily life much easier, he said.You will no longer have to maintain a mental list around checking the blood in the blood.For example, if you want to go running, you can simply put the tennis and go out without worrying about finding out if you have to eat something first.

Ricordi transplanted the cells in collaboration with Dr. Rodolfo Alejandro, endocrinologist and director of the DRI cell transplantation clinical program;Dr. Gaetano Ciancio, surgeon at Uhealth and director of Urological Transplant Surgery;and Dr. Jose Martínez, Laparoscopic surgeon of Jackson.The team collaborates with other doctors globally, and is hoping to make between 20 and 30 more transplants of this type in the remainder of the year, some of them in the Jackson.

Ricordi told Miami Herald last year that he predicted that, within three to seven years, there would be a cure for type 1 diabetic patients.

“It is not a prediction;It is a promise that I make to patients.We are going to defeat this disease, that's safe, ”Ricordi told Herald in November."Depending on how many obstacles we find, and regulatory complexities and cost, that can take more than 10 years, but we are coming."

Source: Link

I am reading almost the entire forum above and down and I find this from Dr. Ricordi.Do you know when he said it ??From what I have seen on the Internet, it seemed to me that it is a news of 2015 ... He states that he will reach the cure, do you think it is a realistic option ...?
I understand that the center where he works is one of the pioneers, at least that impression gives me.

Thank you

Isi's profile photo
Isi
05/19/2021 1:58 p.m.

If they wanted to have ended this, they would have already found any solution of many who could exist but I do not know if it interests, if there is money etc etc

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
05/24/2021 8:31 a.m.

JOPE, at least a simpler management without being so pending as many variables.It is so frustrating ...
At least as an adult you know yourself more, you understand what is happening to you, see it in a child gets the worst of each one.

Yesterday with their cousins ​​they began to eat a giant ice cream to snack without even asking or leaving it for another time and we with our sad apple and colder ... we do not know how to calculate the hydrates of a cucurucho more to put the insulin and wait forA correct blood glucose ... We have lost all spontaneity ... and I wanted to kill my brothers -in -law for even having our daughter in consideration.

This doctor says it convinced, we give us a lot of hope even if it costs a million ... I would look for money under the stones if necessary.

Isi's profile photo
Isi
05/24/2021 5:05 p.m.

@Isi, rehearses ice cream at home, perhaps a small ball is equivalent to his snack.
Or with some insulin.
There are mini ice cream, which also serve for hypos.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
05/24/2021 5:36 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

Thank you Regina, yes, at home takes ice cream made by us without almost hydrates and very well.I take a good note to try at home with a ball to try.Thank you very much for your suggestions.They are always welcome.

Isi's profile photo
Isi
05/24/2021 5:42 p.m.

I from time to time I give him the frigo brand, the drach (1.2 r) or the frigo foot 0.8 .. also the nestlé chocolate without sugar has been a good encounter

Arigato's profile photo
Arigato
05/24/2021 6:38 p.m.

arigato said:
me to my daughter from time to time I give him the frigo brand, the drachula (1.2 r) or the frigo foot 0.8 .. also the chocolate nestlé withoutSugar has been a good encounter

Thank you very much.We will try this summer you are also suggestions.

Isi's profile photo
Isi
05/26/2021 2:56 p.m.

sherpa41 said:
provided they announce a new type of encapsulated transplant.Then when they encapsulate it does not work, but they have already become popular and rich.That is why they take so long to do the tests with the really encapsulated cells in humans.

The first one who did this type of fraud was Dr. Dr. Soon-Shiong of the company Vivorx in the early 90s and today is the richest doctor in the world, according to Forbes it has 11 billion dollars.

Envy kills ...

raymond1958's profile photo
raymond1958
05/27/2021 7:04 p.m.

Thanks for the good news, greetings to all.

Gustavo Silva Perez's profile photo
Gustavo Silva Perez
05/30/2021 4:11 p.m.

Hello,
For more clarification, it is a phase 1 and 2 clinical trial at the same time, that is, value security and efficiency at the same time.It is not possible to make a type 1 trial with healthy humans, as usual, to evaluate safety and toxicity, so it is done with patients and at the same time evaluated efficiency, so the deadlines are very short.
This month they have to know the results.These are encapsulated cells that are protected from the elements of the immune system, but allows the output of the insulin molecule, such as a cage.
Here it is described that it is, description made by the laboratory.
https:/vavacyte.com/pressType-1-Diabetes/

It is not true that it is the first time this is done, more than 15 years ago it was already done and a man lived at least one year with glycemic normalization, without an external insulin contribution.I followed the issue because then I dedicated myself to micro -capable investigation of active molecules implemented in microcapsulas.Without Ambargo, the subject was never known again, so since something did not take the market, or it was not "interesting" that this went well.

In any case, years have passed and the sure design is improved.The main problem that exists is that the immune system always sees the strange objects (and this device is) as something to be eliminated, and if it cannot eliminate it, the "embolsa", that is to say it creates a layer around that isolates it and preventsThat exchange of molecules (insulin in this case) with the medium (blood).It is the same that happens with the sensors, so there is no definitive artificial pancreas.Let us trust that this does not happen in this case, or at least not in the first years of implant (how much would the acceptable time be?).
The best solution would be to find a blocker from the immune system attack on beta cells, but that seems to be far from getting, for the moment.

Greetings companions

PeterNut's profile photo
PeterNut
06/03/2021 11:32 p.m.

antonimar said:
If they wanted to have ended this they would have already found any solution of many that could be there but I do not know if interest, if there is money etc etc

Think that of thousands of millions who win with the sale of insulin

PeterNut's profile photo
PeterNut
06/03/2021 11:38 p.m.

peternut said:
antonimar said:
if they wanted to have ended this would have already found any solution of many that could be there but I do not know if it interests, if there aremoney etc etc

Think that of thousands of millions who win with the sale of insulin

Please do not take away the hope of a better future.I need to believe that research and desire to overcome the human being are above greed and business ...

Hope is the only thing that keeps us standing, I can't let myself be overcome by discouragement.

Isi's profile photo
Isi
06/04/2021 6:54 p.m.

@Isi I have been diabetic for 20 years and if you live bitter with the daily hope of a solution that you don't know when you will arrive you will end badly.

It is better to live the present and carry good control of diabetes.It is another disease like any other.

marine's profile photo
marine
06/04/2021 8 p.m.

The truth is that I do not understand much why this thread comes out and I go out again in the summaries every week, with answers that talk about essays and include links for years (2014 the last one I have seen), which obviously did not work, becauseIf they had done it, we would have known.

Cristóbal Cortés's profile photo
Cristóbal Cortés
06/06/2021 4:03 p.m.

Cristóbal Cortés said:
The truth is that I do not understand much because this thread comes out and comes out again in the summaries every week, with answers that talk about essays and include links of years ago (years ago (2014 the last one I have seen), which obviously did not work, because if they had done we would have known.

You get because I read the entire forum from top to bottom.It is what has to be new ... And I am very attention to the words of Dr Ricordi in 2014 where he assured that he would find a cure of 3 to 7 years.

I ask you if you had known any more news, but I see no ... I guess you did comment in 2014 you get again.

Thank you

Isi's profile photo
Isi
06/06/2021 8:33 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.