{'en': 'Freestyle - Where can sensors be recycled?', 'es': 'Freestyle - Donde se pueden reciclar los sensores?'} Image

Freestyle - Where can sensors be recycled?

GemaTer's profile photo   03/21/2016 1:45 p.m.

Within the term "Diabetological Education" there should be a section with all the indications to get rid of the instruments we use ...
It is easy to know what to do with the cardboard of the containers ... a little more complicated the plastic elements but the most logical thing seems to me the yellow container (on the street), in terms of what has a biological risk without any doubt to the yellow containerThat must be requested and in your case demand at the health center, the sensors without the "needle" to the batteries ...
A little effort ...

Javirote's profile photo
Javirote
02/15/2023 1:35 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

I am with @arse, in the ambulatory they did not know how to indicate anything, simply to throw everything in the trash, they also told me in the hospital.And in the pharmacy they haven't wanted to collect it either, so recycle, recycle ... They are not very for the work ...

Cassie's profile photo
Cassie
02/15/2023 3:44 p.m.

Well, I don't know if I do it well but I do it like this:
- Bolis used to the pharmacy and take them well.
- Sensors with batteries and applicators to the clean point.
- needles, to a canopy boat and when it is full to the clean point too.

javiertierno's profile photo
javiertierno
02/16/2023 8:42 a.m.

chamus1978 said:
good afternoon: I wanted to comment, I wake up and extract the piles of the sensors.They are button type with a 1.5V load.Then he threw them into the battery container.

We are already at least two who practice the disassembly of the sensor.I do it with each one since I started using them years ago, although Abbott does not put it at all easy or informs how should sensor recycling.These devices are composed of two recyclable parts: an electronic component motherboard and a button stack.The component plate must be discarded at a clean point where they have a section for electronic devices.The battery is deposited in a battery container.But mixing both is not correct.What I do is separate those parts every time I take off an exhausted sensor, I throw them into a couple of boxes and when they are full I take them to the clean point.

domingot's profile photo
domingot
02/19/2023 10:13 p.m.

How do you get the battery?

Ensalada's profile photo
Ensalada
02/20/2023 7:44 a.m.

LADA desde septiembre de 2021
Toujeo y Fiasp
Aprendiendo

salad said:
How do you take the stack?

That is the subject.I need a hammer, screwdriver and almost lost several fingers ... 😅😅😅
Total, that either explain an easy method, or do not try anymore.

isabelbota's profile photo
isabelbota
02/20/2023 1:13 p.m.

DM 2 con páncreas agotado desde diciembre 2020. 51 años entonces.
HG diciembre 2020: 15.9. Última HG: julio 2024 5.8
Abasaglar 9 unidades. Metformina, 1000/0/1000. Humalog junior: 2 unid en desayuno y luego en función de lo que coma.

I pass up disassembling anything.I prefer to take it in the yellow boat of the health center.If you don't want a boat, keep the material and when you go down needles, you take everything.
Total every 2 months I have to go for sensors and needles, because I take the pack and recycle them

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
02/20/2023 4:10 p.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

salad said:
How do you take the stack?
Isabelbota said:
salad said:
salad said:
How do you take out the stack?

That is the subject.I need a hammer, screwdriver and almost lost several fingers ... 😅😅😅
Total, that either explain an easy method, or I don't try anymore.

As I said, it is not an easy task.The simplest thing is to remove the adheisive to the sensor and break that somewhat transparent part through which you can guess the position of the battery.Once broken the battery can be extracted.
But if we do not want to complicate, the sensors are taken to the health center to deposit them there.And the critic must be done mainly to Abbott for not taking into account the recycling of the sensors and not rigorously informing about the procedure to follow for it.

domingot's profile photo
domingot
02/20/2023 4:41 p.m.

They told me at the quel hospital I throw them to the button battery container.
I separate the membrane (the adhesive) and throw it into the organic.Quito the filament and I put it to the clinical waste container with lancet, needles and reactive strips and what remains, the disc with its chip and its battery shot it where the button batteries.
I accumulate it at home in a large glass jar until we go to the clean point.There I have observed that in the "barrel" of the button batteries there are more sensors;I am not the one that deposits them like this.

Ensalada's profile photo
Ensalada
02/21/2023 7:59 p.m.

LADA desde septiembre de 2021
Toujeo y Fiasp
Aprendiendo

I live in Mexico
I do not know any place that the waste receives
I put everything in a strong water boat and then I put that in a bag and I go together and when there is a lot I leave it in the garbage
I am blamed but Abbot does not recommend anything special, a disaster
At least together and I throw it when I have a lot

milagros's profile photo
milagros
02/27/2023 12:25 a.m.

First, greetings for all.
Second you give a lot of turns to a very simple thing, in my married in the health center where they supply me strips, needles, cotton etc., they also give me a 5 -liter container just like the one they use to throw organic waste, when I have it full I return it to the health center and give me another empty and the one that I have full they send it to incinerate.
And the story was over.

JMJPN's profile photo
JMJPN
02/27/2023 6:07 p.m.

I am not very clear that incinerating the button batteries contained in the sensors is a story thing ...

Javirote's profile photo
Javirote
03/01/2023 3:44 p.m.

javirote said:
I am not very clear that incinerating the button batteries contained in the sensors is a story thing ...

Safe explosion ..

isabelbota
03/01/2023 10:03 p.m.

Abasaglar 9 unidades. Metformina, 1000/0/1000. Humalog junior: 2 unid en desayuno y luego en función de lo que coma.

Joseludi said:
I give them in a yellow container that give me in the health center to throw all the disposable material (needles, strips, etc.)

If we are in strict plan, the sensor would have to be disassemble

I separate the batteries 🔋 and the Reclic in parts.

Greetings

chamus1978's profile photo
chamus1978
03/05/2023 3:35 p.m.

Accumulation and everything to the clean point.

uma's profile photo
uma
03/05/2023 7:22 p.m.

DM1 desde 1967-
Tresiba 12 - Novorapid: 4-6-2 última Hemo: 5,9
FreeStyle Libre 2 desde noviembre 2020

"Nunca dejes que el futuro te perturbe. Lo enfrentarás, con las mismas armas de la razón con las que hoy enfrentas el presente." Marco Aurelio.
"Un gramo de práctica vale más que una tonelada de teoría" Swami Vishnudevananda

I feel fatal that they do not give indications on the web.I have them accumulated.But when they put me insulin they didn't tell me anything about how to get rid of the waste so until I have read it here, I have noted and the needles go to the trash 🙈

Nila's profile photo
Nila
03/05/2023 8:13 p.m.

Diabetes desde 03/15
Lantus
MODY 3
HG octubre 2021: 5,7; junio 2021: 6,5; 2020: 6,7; 2019: 6,7. 2018: 6,4

The other day I bought clothes, when I didn't use it anymore, I don't know whether to take it to trade again or separate it in parts (the labels, all that) is that they did not tell me when I bought it what to do when I spoiled, I think I will put itIn a bag and I will take it to trade !! 😁

andrespmat's profile photo
andrespmat
03/05/2023 9:10 p.m.

Andrespmat said:
the other day I bought clothes, when I no longer used it I do not know if taking it to trade again or separating it in parts (the label buttons, all that) is that I do notThey said when I bought it what to do when I spoiled, I think I will put it in a bag and take it to the trade !! 😁

Well, it is not a good example because there are clothing containers, however there are no sensors.

isabelbota
03/05/2023 10 p.m.

miracles said:
I live in Mexico
I do not know any place that the waste receives
I put everything in a strong water boat and then I put that in a bag and I go together and when there is a lot I leave it in the garbage
I am blamed but Abbot does not recommend anything special, a disaster
At least together and I throw it when I have a lot

Hello.You could take the battery and recycles as all batteries in Mexico are recycled.The stack that the sensors carry I understand that is the button battery.

More info here -& GT; Link

In Mexico I believe that there is not much culture of this because the sensors are not delivered to the health system, so only those who can afford it $$$ are very few (I think).

matrix's profile photo
matrix
05/25/2023 2:36 a.m.

Desde México. DB2. Metformina c/ 12hrs. No insulina. HCG22/02/21: 9.0. HCG 18/04/21: 7.4

I have consulted in detail via web with Sigre, and, in effect, the material is not recycled.They say I contact my environmental concierge (?).They only accept medication remains in their container (that is, insulin feathers), but for everything else, strips, infusion material, spent sensors, etc., there is no established procedure.That is, they go to general trash.

As a general directive, this is a barbarity, of course.For example, free carry a battery.As an answer says, you should throw the batteries, I suppose.On the other hand, all the material that is plastic and does not carry a needle, should go to yellow, where it will be separated as plastic.I also suppose.

Anyway, hopefully these kinds of things change with the future of time.

Cristóbal Cortés's profile photo
Cristóbal Cortés
05/27/2023 8:03 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.