{'en': 'Is the change between "people with diabetes" and "diabetics" relevant?', 'es': 'Es relevante el cambio entre "personas con diabetes" y "los diabéticos"?'} Image

Is the change between "people with diabetes" and "diabetics" relevant?

fer's profile photo   03/31/2016 10:18 a.m.

The Spanish Diabetes Federation (Fede) claims that an adequate vocabulary be used to refer to people with diabetes.For this reason, he has decided to modify his name to eliminate from him the word "diabetic", a term that is not suitable for referring to the person diagnosed with this pathology.After this decision, unanimously approved by the Board of Directors of the entity, the Spanish Diabetics Federation (Fede) is called: Spanish Diabetes Federation.

The term "diabetic" ceases to define the person suffering from this pathology although it will remain adequate to define some of the possible complications of diabetes.

Is it really relevant to us to change the way to name a person with diabetes ?? What do you think?

fer's profile photo
fer
03/31/2016 10:18 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

It is the same. The words do not change situations.It is diabetic, asthmatic, allergic ...
Another thing is that it was curable, then we would go from being to be ..

Regina's profile photo
Regina
03/31/2016 2:03 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

In my opinion the words are important.I am many things and, in addition, I have diabetes.It means that this situation is temporary, it is not something that is part of my essence (the verb being indicates "essentiality" and the verb have "temporality").In addition, if we do not say, for example, that someone is cancerous, why am I going to be diabetic?I am neither diabetic nor crying like a girl (another example of stupid expression, it would be more correct to say "cry like a baby").

I know that the cure does not come in the words, what else would I want ... but since we still do not have it, at least they do not condemn us forever.There is exit.

ROAR's profile photo
ROAR
04/01/2016 4:18 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

For me the truth is the same, it fulfills the commutative property of the multiplication, the order of the factors does not alter the product (it was like that? Hahaha).
I will continue clicking, I will continue to think 24 hours, I will continue the same, let's be called anyway, I will continue to break my head when I do sports .....

jconegar's profile photo
jconegar
04/01/2016 9:15 p.m.

Miembro del equipo moderador del foro.

Ultima prueba realizada:
Maratón San Petesrburgo (Rusia)
https://luchojuntoamidiabetes.blogspot.com/2019/07/maraton-san-petersburgo-rusa-42195-mts.html

Prueba deportiva Ruta de las Fortalezas.
http://luchojuntoamidiabetes.blogspot.com/2019/05/ruta-de-las-fortalezas-2019-54700.html

Facebook: Jorge Moto
Usuario Dexcom G6 y microinfusora Tandem T: Slim X2 Basal IQ

I am asthmatic, epileptic, hypertensive, hypothyroid etc.I want to say anyone can bother at a time when they refer to it in this way but we are not really that disease.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
04/01/2016 11:43 p.m.

Well, for me it is important, it seems that it was a quality that we have, I am up to the hat for the diabetic patients pass by counter .. I never hear sids, hepatitic, gongivitic patients .. they go through a counter and it gives me a lot of genius

Gala's profile photo
Gala
04/02/2016 12:54 a.m.

"Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro"

@Gala I agree with you, but I think it would give me the same anger if they said "people with diabetes!, Pass by counter!" ... right?

fer's profile photo
fer
04/02/2016 1:38 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

I prefer to say that I have diabetes, and I am not diabetics.Because diabetes is one more characteristic of all I have and what I am.I am much more than diabetes ... We are much more than a disease.

ceciii's profile photo
ceciii
04/02/2016 2:18 a.m.

@Fer, I obviously do not like any of the 2 things because what is wrong is that they catalog us, that in fact we have a name each (Fulanito of such a pass by counter ..) but I prefer that they say when they areThey refer to me: if man, the girl who has diabetes that diabetics, who would prefer to be called only by my name, is clear, but normally if they call you by man, then the coletilla is added, if man, the diabeticsAnd that everyone says: Ah!Yeah...
I also have green eyes and nobody says, Fulanita, that of green eyes, Morenita ... no, they say diabetics

Gala's profile photo
Gala
04/02/2016 6:44 a.m.

The only thing that would seem relevant to me would be that they said they have found a cure or better therapy.Everything else is irrelevant.

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
04/02/2016 7:51 a.m.

En 1922 descubrieron la insulina, en 1930 la insulina lenta. ¿Que c*** han hecho desde entonces?

@Gala I totally agree with you!;): -BD

fer's profile photo
fer
04/02/2016 9:42 a.m.

@Sherpa41, the cure would be the limonera pear, but in the meantime I like them more to call me by my name and not for my illness

Gala's profile photo
Gala
04/02/2016 11:45 a.m.

gala said:
@sherpa41, the cure would be the limonera pear, but in the meantime I like more that call me by my name and not for my disease
But that is a problem of you, in 20 years I do not remember anyone who has called me "the diabetic" not even in the consultations, or anywhere, or remember having heard anyone call other people.Although maybe it's because I don't care so little that I don't even look at me.

In addition, as another Forero says, it is not so much diabetic, asmatic, seropositive, etc. to all people who have a chronic disease (it is not said cancerous because cancer or heals or dies but is not chronic).The day I stop being stopped saying it.

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
04/02/2016 noon

En 1922 descubrieron la insulina, en 1930 la insulina lenta. ¿Que c*** han hecho desde entonces?

Well, to me at school all my life and the other child who had too.And from what I see @roar has also happened to him and I don't think it's the only one, I don't know how many years you will have been, but in 25 years I can assure you that I have heard it more than once, and if it came outThis thread I suppose it will be because someone else bothers him.
Let's see, that does not suppose any trauma, I would simply prefer to say my name and not my illness

Gala's profile photo
Gala
04/02/2016 1:17 p.m.

I have been with diabetes for almost 22 years, although it is true that I took me with 20 and does not pass the stage of the school.The problem is there.And in the lack of respect of some places where you move.

Anyway, with that "prefer" you also make it clear that it is not a particularly relevant topic.

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
04/02/2016 2:10 p.m.

Although it is difficult for you to admit it, we are diabetic and ready, there is no other than to do, in the same way as you are a woman or man, in the same way as you are low or high, I do not understand why so much offense in this, one thing is that they call you as the"Diabetic" of the class or the office, which in any case with "person with diabetes" would be equally offensive, and another thing that is to tell someone "I am diabetic" or "I have diabetes".It doesn't change too much.
In any case, it is you who are self -discriminating when you feel offended when you call them as "diabetics" (as I said before, I do not mean that in the office they tell you "there is the diabetic" but for example in aMedical appointment ask you if you are diabetic, or some similar situation)

Andresito's profile photo
Andresito
04/02/2016 5:35 p.m.

Well, you want to tell you ...

It really gives me the same.What tell me that I am diabetic?Well yes, it's true, what do I tell me that I have diabetes?Well, I also don't care.

They are not missing respect, I simply have diabetes or I am diabetic.Another singing is that they told me to be this or the other without being.

It may not have that trauma that some have because I started with 33 years

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
04/02/2016 6:32 p.m.

Let's not start dramatizing that anyone has said that it is a trauma or a problem

Gala's profile photo
Gala
04/02/2016 8:42 p.m.

Like many people who call you diabetics are people who would not have to know and you should not have told him.

Nobody has been telling me that he has Ladillas, and if a person was telling everyone who has Ladillas, he would surely also be known as "Las Ladillas" or "The Locking Head."

I don't know if I explain my point.

Artorias's profile photo
Artorias
04/02/2016 9:51 p.m.

Precisely I do not usually tell anyone for that, you know @Artorias, you remember that it was the first thing I told you when you wrote me?

Gala's profile photo
Gala
04/02/2016 9:54 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.