{'en': 'United States', 'es': 'Vivir en Estados Unidos'} Image

United States

joselito's profile photo   12/24/2015 11:33 a.m.

Hello everyone and happy holidays !!!!
I introduce myself.I am Jose, 27 years old and diabetic since the age of 5.I am an animator (cartoons) and I am about to embark on an exciting adventure, and therefore, all the problems that lead to be diabetic abroad.

In January I go to United States to live (Los Angeles), for at least 2 years, with their respective visits to my land Malaga, which will be not many.My problem, and I suppose that of many, who want to move abroad, is access to insulin, strips, and other medicines.

At the moment my plan is: take all the insulin that I have at home there, but then the great abyss arrives: have available what I need to live .Do you know what could be the best options for this problem?

Buying insulin there is incredibly expensive.Each bowl of those used (Humalog and Lantus) costs the a whopping amount of $ 200 approx, therefore it is unable to not be of extreme emergency.Another option that I am considering is to send me insulin from Spain.I have been investigating special boxes that retain insulin at the desired temperature, but this carries another problem: the reception of the box.In the United States, it presents a big problem to send or receive medicine.

I would like to know about your experience to find the best option.

I am opening a blog to tell my personal experience, there is nothing yet. Link

Thanks for your time, and happy holidays!

joselito's profile photo
joselito
12/24/2015 11:33 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Let's see if @inday speaks to you, who lives there. I suppose that, if you go with work, the insurance takes care of everything.
Be good luck. My daughter would love your work.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
12/26/2015 7:20 a.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

Thank you very much @regina !!!I go at the moment as a student, the university told me to try to take insulin for the first month and then, I suppose, that they would give me insurance for my situation.At the moment I still investigate for any case.I could almost go to Mars to live hehe.
All the best!

joselito's profile photo
joselito
12/26/2015 11:02 a.m.

@joselito I live in the US but the truth is that I have always had a medical insurance so I can't advise you much either.In principle if you go as a student, you should have access to insurance through university.Anyway, I advise you to try the maximum possible material from Spain to be calm until you install and solve the insurance situation.
In the event that you had to buy material here (which does not require a recipe) there is a website called Link that sometimes has good discounts.For insulins there are organizations (or sometimes the laboratories themselves) that give them free if you do not have medical insurance (yes, you need a doctor's recipe in the US).Look at the links on this website Link

Inday's profile photo
Inday
12/27/2015 8:12 p.m.

Thank you @inday just the other day I was on the diabetes.org page, and I saw that many other websites that give you discounts for drugs.Every option is good.
The university offers me medical insurance.They told me to try to take the maximum possible amount and that, during the process, they would change myself of insurance to something that adapts to my situation.The DiabetesSuplies page is also a great contribution ...
Just my girl's sister works in hospitals and told me that she could get me recipes, which would be more than well.At the moment I am preparing everything so that they can send me insulin.But nothing but has all the inforation of how to get it there, I will do what is best.
If everything goes well and I get work in the future I suppose the situation will be less difficult.
BTW: I'm going to be in Los Angeles :)!
Nothing more than more information I will put it.
A GREETING !!!

joselito's profile photo
joselito
12/29/2015 12:55 a.m.

@joselito I also live in southern California, so we'll be cerquita :-)

Inday's profile photo
Inday
12/29/2015 1:51 a.m.

Joselito said:
thousand thanks @inday just the other day I was on the diabetes.org page, and I saw that they advised you many other websites that give you discounts for drugs.Every option is good.
The university offers me medical insurance.They told me to try to take the maximum possible amount and that, during the process, they would change myself of insurance to something that adapts to my situation.The DiabetesSuplies page is also a great contribution ...
Just my girl's sister works in hospitals and told me that she could get me recipes, which would be more than well.At the moment I am preparing everything so that they can send me insulin.But nothing but has all the inforation of how to get it there, I will do what is best.
If everything goes well and I get work in the future I suppose the situation will be less difficult.
A GREETING !!!

Hi @joselito,

Luckily I find someone who can inform me.

I tell you, I am Fernando, father of a 14 -year -old diabetic boy.Next year we would like to go to use a year, it seems that we have almost all problems solved, except that of diabetes and what to do with insulin, I think that sending it is a real problem and that they prescribe it thereA priori sounds when reckless because we don't know if we will have guarantees.

Please if there is someone who can help me by giving any type of information I would appreciate it.We would not like that it could not go due to his illness, it would be a stick for him, especially after the great experience that his other older brothers have lived.

Thank you so much!

FERNANDO FMA's profile photo
FERNANDO FMA
11/29/2017 4:38 p.m.

@"Fernando Fma" to see if someone can advise you, if you look at Joselito's post it is from 2015 but hope that, if it is not him, someone can guide you in this matter.For sure yes!
All the best.

nigiri's profile photo
nigiri
11/29/2017 11:25 p.m.

DM1 desde 1990 - Fiasp y Toujeo - HG: 6,1

Hello @"Fernando Fma"!

My stage in the United States ended with a good balance.So I can answer you based on my experience.

I left with a student visa to California, there, where I was studying they offered me a medical insurance that covered you the basic and medical needs but no medicine, so after investigating other medical insurance and such, the best option was theof receiving insulin by mail.If you prepare well there is no problem, in fact, that's how I lived.

I now use Toujeo and Humalog of 200u/ml;The last thing of the last, and therefore, without any coverage, it costs an eye of the face.I went to an endocrine for experiencing what kind of options they gave me, and the only thing they advised me was that I used a cheaper insulin (return to the syringes and glass boats) with what I refused.Another option that I tried was to enter a hospital through the emergency part and enroll in an emergency program (they asked me for passport and visa) (there they have urgent care (less serious problems) and Emergency Care (serious problems)).I intended that there was little insulin during my stay.After waiting a few hours the doctor who saw me prescribed a box of each insulin with the possibility of being able to take insulin 3 times.The only problem is that it was a tedious and long waiting process for a few hours until I touched me.All this prompted me that all my access to insulin was through the mail, and it worked well.My parents sent me wrapped in supermarket terminals, newspaper and inside cork boxes.I did the test and worked well.It is the most rustic way to do it and never motivate anyone to do so since each one owns his body.I never had any problem with customs, in a year and a half that I was living, it was sent to me 3 times, and with that I had enough and left over.In short, it worked for me.

The next time I go, with a work visa, possibly investigate the issue of insurance more thoroughly or if the company gives me medical coverage.

I hope you have been able to help clarify the situation a little more with this.Contact me in case I can give you more information !!

Surely it will be a good adventure to learn a lot !!

A GREETING!

Fernando Fma said:
Joselito said:
thousand thanks @inday just the other day I was on the diabetes.org page, and I saw that many advised you manyOther websites that give you discounts for drugs.Every option is good.
A GREETING !!!

Hi @joselito,

I tell you, I am Fernando, father of a 14 -year -old diabetic boy.Next year we would like to go to use a year, it seems that we have almost all problems solved, except that of diabetes and what to do with insulin, I think that sending it is a real problem and that they prescribe it thereA priori sounds when reckless because we don't know if we will have guarantees.

Please if there is someone who can help me by giving any type ofInformation I would appreciate it.We would not like that it could not go due to his illness, it would be a stick for him, especially after the great experience that his other older brothers have lived.

Thank you very much!

joselito's profile photo
joselito
11/30/2017 7:21 p.m.

Joselito said:
hello @"Fernando Fma"!

My stage in the United States ended with a good balance.So I can answer you based on my experience.

I left with a student visa to California, there, where I was studying they offered me a medical insurance that covered you the basic and medical needs but no medicine, so after investigating other medical insurance and such, the best option was theof receiving insulin by mail.If you prepare well there is no problem, in fact, that's how I lived.

I now use Toujeo and Humalog of 200u/ml;The last thing of the last, and therefore, without any coverage, it costs an eye of the face.I went to an endocrine for experiencing what kind of options they gave me, and the only thing they advised me was that I used a cheaper insulin (return to the syringes and glass boats) with what I refused.Another option that I tried was to enter a hospital through the emergency part and enroll in an emergency program (they asked me for passport and visa) (there they have urgent care (less serious problems) and Emergency Care (serious problems)).I intended that there was little insulin during my stay.After waiting a few hours the doctor who saw me prescribed a box of each insulin with the possibility of being able to take insulin 3 times.The only problem is that it was a tedious and long waiting process for a few hours until I touched me.All this prompted me that all my access to insulin was through the mail, and it worked well.My parents sent me wrapped in supermarket terminals, newspaper and inside cork boxes.I did the test and worked well.It is the most rustic way to do it and never motivate anyone to do so since each one owns his body.I never had any problem with customs, in a year and a half that I was living, it was sent to me 3 times, and with that I had enough and left over.In short, it worked for me.

The next time I go, with a work visa, possibly investigate the issue of insurance more thoroughly or if the company gives me medical coverage.

I hope you have been able to help clarify the situation a little more with this.Contact me in case I can give you more information !!

Surely it will be a good adventure to learn a lot !!

A GREETING!

Fernando Fma said:
Joselito said:
Joselito said:
thousand thanks @inday just the other day I was on the diabetes.org page, and I saw that many advised you manyOther websites that give you discounts for drugs.Every option is good.
A GREETING !!!

Hi @joselito,

Please if there is someone whoI can help by giving any type of information I would appreciate it.We would not like that it could not go due to his illness, it would be a stick for him, especially after the great experience that his other older brothers have lived.

Thank you very much!

Uff, thankfully I have been able to contact you, what a joy !!!Thank you very much Joselito

I would like to be able to talk to you by phone, I have a lot of questions that you can surely solve,
When is good time to talk to you?

I leave you my email and my phone
Mobile: 666518913
Email: fdofdezdemesa@gmail.com

Greetings and thank you very much

FERNANDO FMA
11/30/2017 11:29 p.m.

@"Fernando Fma", good day.For @joselito to jump notification of your message you must put the @ to the name.You can also write by private, right here in the forum, in the upper right see second icon (der/left).Greetings.

solaria's profile photo
solaria
12/01/2017 10:57 a.m.

Debut 46 â- 2012. DM1. Celiaquía e intolerancia lactosa. Anemia perniciosa.
MiniMed 640g + SmartGuard.

@Joselito
Uff, thankfully I have been able to contact you, what a joy !!!Thank you very much Joselito

I would like to be able to talk to you by phone, I have a lot of questions that you can surely solve,
When is good time to talk to you?

I leave you my email and my phone
Mobile: 666518913
Email: fdofdezdemesa@gmail.com

Greetings and thank you very much

FERNANDO FMA
12/01/2017 1:50 p.m.

Good afternoon everyone.

@Joselito I would like to be able to contact you because my daughter is the same thing that happened to you.He goes to Los Angeles to work as a cheerleader but I would like you to give him some "advice" and that you would tell you your experience if you think it's fine.

If someone else could also help me my mail to get in touch with me.Thank you so much.

javiandresvega@yahoo.es

Thar's profile photo
Thar
01/22/2018 7:45 p.m.

Hello!

I am considering going to the US to work as a teacher.They do not stop getting offers from there, unlike here, and I have not been encouraging me for diabetes and what it costs everything there.But I have reached the point that almost all my generation has arrived "am I really going to work for hours with a salary of *** or to work on something that I do not like after having studied so much?"

The fact is that here I am, reopening the subject.I have no idea when it is the last message.

Anyone by the US or Canada who can tell me how the theme is on that side of the puddle?Thank you so much!

NiñaBurbuja's profile photo
NiñaBurbuja
11/30/2019 8:04 a.m.

T1 diagnosticada a los 24, tengo 31.
Además soy celiaca y con muchas alergias alimentarias, entre ellas profilina. Recientemente diagnosticada con hipotiroidismo también.

I was there in October and wanted to buy the free sensors.I got in touch through a Facebook group and they told me that you need a medical recipe to buy them, and leave for $ 68 in the CVS Pharmacy, the cheapest site.

For insulin too, so the first thing you will need will be to pay you medical insurance and the Green Card.Try to be managed by the company that hires you.It is not easy.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
12/03/2019 5:09 p.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

Good to everyone, my experience in America (I have gone 3 times, 2 to work and 1 on vacation) regarding diabetes, it has been good, that is, it has not prevented me absolutely anything.

My staying stays (the 1st 3 months of lifeguard and the 2nd 2 months in a supermarket) have helped me a lot to realize that diabetes is no impediment for anything.

I still use the bolis, so for all the times I have gone, I have taken insulin, needles, lancet for a month more than I was going (4 and 3 months respectively).In Spain, if you go to the private doctor, and you tell him that you leave, give you a recipe so you can take out all the insulin at once.In the public, in my pharmacy they gave me all the tinglado for the 4 months with the condition that I left the health card in Spain, and when I touched me `` collecting '' the medications, some relative would go to said pharmacy with the code ofBars of the respective boxes and would give it to the pharmaceutical.

In the cases you have said, I would try to take all possible insulin (once almost an entire suitcase I had to carry for this, it is what there is).If you can't, your parents or a relative could get it here with your card and send it to you, or if they will visit you, take it.Stays of more than 5 months I have not had in any country, and the topic bombs and sensors do not control, but I suppose they could send it to you equally.Theme safe, those who hire did not include insulin, so for long stays it would make @joselito.It is the safest and reliable.

I hope my experience serves you.Greetings

Fran_Alcantara's profile photo
Fran_Alcantara
12/05/2019 11:58 a.m.

My endocrine belongs to the Technological Research Commission Diabetes in the US travels once every month, it informs me about all the investigations and possible advances sure that if something comes out before there that here, in the US they have the last of the last (example pills b.12 for pernicious anemia) even injections, and do not know that there are pills.
If access to insulin is complicated the best would be a postal shipping from Spain I do not believe that there is well prepared and protected luck

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
12/06/2019 12:21 p.m.

@antonimar, because I take a B12 tablet for years (only B12) and buy it by web.And it is not better than injection, only that everything is lazy, even going ambulatory to click.Pills every day, injection one per month.Two options.

solaria's profile photo
solaria
12/06/2019 5:47 p.m.

I take B12 of 2000 mcg once a week, instead of a daily pill, which is more expensive and is more painful.
I have already assumed that I take it every Sunday.

anif's profile photo
anif
12/06/2019 6:27 p.m.

DM2 (2019)

@anif, is the tablet only B12?.
There are several options but they carried other vitamins and that's why I discarded them.
If it is only B12, please, share the name.Greetings.

solaria's profile photo
solaria
12/06/2019 8:51 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.