When diabetes derives in an eating disorder

fer's profile photo   11/02/2015 6:39 p.m.

Suddenly one feels weight loss and does not know what to attribute it.Some people will be glad, but others will feel a strange sensation.Something seems not at all right.

To do?Go to the doctor, of course.One of the possible diagnoses is type 1 diabetes mellitus, which affects many teenagers.

What happens in diabetes is that the pancreas does not produce enough insulin and that makes glucose increase.To compensate for this problem, the affected must be injected insulin several times a day, measure the glucose regularly and carry a healthy diet that must stick to certain parameters.

At the beginning of insulin therapy, many type 1 diabetics increase weight.For many adolescents the effects can be uncomfortable, especially because before diagnosis they lost weight and, suddenly, by incanding treatment, they see how their silhouette changes and cannot feel good about themselves.

The danger involved in this collateral effect is that teenagers with diabetes begin to present eating disorders as a way to compensate for the weight gain of treatment.

Women are more affected by this phenomenon than men and can fall into bulimia.Some people undergo radical diets, others cause vomiting or go to sports at an excessive degree.

There are also those who do what is known as "insulin purge", which consists in applying minor doses of insulin on an ongoing weight.

What happens in these cases is that patients automatically have low insulin values ​​and that, in turn, increases the blood glucose level.It is true, patients lose weight in the short term and have the feeling that they can regulate their figure, but the risk of diabetes derived diseases if the indicated treatment is not followed is serious.

It is known that the consequences can range from neurological and nephrological damage to blindness or a lower life expectancy.

Eating disorders affect almost twice adolescents with type 1 diabetes than adolescents who do not present this health inconvenience.Disorders can manifest in the form of a bulimia, anorexia or insulin purge.

This risk is also seen in overweight women with type 2 diabetes, which can have uncontrolled hunger attacks.This in turn derives in a weight gain that leads to insulin being less effective.

It is not always easy to detect eating disorders, especially in puberty.But it is good that parents are attentive.If young people do not want to share meals with the family and, in addition, there are very noticeable variations of glucose values, it is an alert signal.

In those cases, it is recommended that parents inform the doctor, but do not do it behind the affected.

The best help that can be offered to someone who suffers from diabetes and eating disorders is a psychotherapy that aims to revalue the image that the patient has of himself, both intellectual and physical.

fer's profile photo
fer
11/02/2015 6:39 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

@Fer according to this article seems to be fattening.
Recently in a thread I read that some said that they fattened and others that no and now I wonder can something be done to get fat ???I can also have hypothyroidism and I meet everything.Thank you.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
11/03/2015 4:47 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

For me, insulin causes weight to rise, first because before clickIn essence, it is.So my advice to eat one thick less, that is not little, within coherence, and increase physical activity a bit.And all great :))

pochola's profile photo
pochola
11/03/2015 5:45 p.m.

DM1 desde 2011 8 puntos Lantus. Todo esfuerzo traerá su recompensa ♥ Hemo 5.7

@pochola good advice!!!I have been doing these months and if I works for me, I went down 3 kilos, the problem is that as a little really I am hungry.

DiabetesForo
11/03/2015 6:26 p.m.

@Aliciaalicia insulin in case it does not fat, what fattens is what you eat.Obviously if you eat more you need more insulin and of course you will also end up fattening, but by itself the insulin does not fat.I have been diabetics and 7 years with exactly the same weight.Not to gain weight there is no more trick than what we all know: healthy diet and physical activity.

Inday's profile photo
Inday
11/03/2015 6:27 p.m.

@inday thanks is what I imagined, although I have lost 3 kilos but I still don't have much insulin. I know if when time goes by and need to put before meals if everything will remain the same.

DiabetesForo
11/03/2015 6:36 p.m.

@Aliciaalicia, you must make some change in your diet.Poquito cannot be eaten, one thing is that you lowered a little what you ate before being diabetic (which is usually a lot because there is always a feeling of hunger), in my case they were buried, and still did not fat a gram fattened.Now as 10 times less or even less, but I always try not to go hungry, that it costs me, because I am glotone, but a shot of things that save me and do not hurt me.To your usual food you can add vegetable rations and my great ally are the soups, I always have to have done in the fridge and when I see that I am hungry to undone, I like a bowl, I make them with chopped vegetables and the blood glucose or finds out,Sacian, in Nviene they feel vice and reach the main food or snack without suffering.

pochola's profile photo
pochola
11/03/2015 6:50 p.m.

Yes ... Forget about putting a lot

pochola's profile photo
pochola
11/03/2015 6:51 p.m.

@Pochola Cooked egg did you put once in another thread?

Gala's profile photo
Gala
11/03/2015 6:57 p.m.

"Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro"

Burgos cheese or a few nuts are also a good option to eat between hours

Inday's profile photo
Inday
11/03/2015 7:04 p.m.

I say in the soup

Gala's profile photo
Gala
11/03/2015 7:08 p.m.

Ah ok!Yes, Burgos cheese in soup like not ... hehehe

Inday's profile photo
Inday
11/03/2015 7:17 p.m.

Nooo, ha!

Gala's profile photo
Gala
11/03/2015 7:22 p.m.

Hahaha, if I usually throw cooked egg or chicken in fine strips, which still fills more (but as I usually have tortilla breakfast in the morning, I have the fridge without egg, and if it is for dinner or sodone at the moment, that there are no chickens in my town for my hahahaha).
The cheese of Burgos and the nuts also do well, but of course, I like yogurts with nuts too and I can not pass myI take three tablespoons of soup, I take a good giant bowl, from those breakfast.

And the truth, that feels very good ... and at the time or an hour and a half because what you touch ... dinner, snack, food ... I say that what I ate before, was worthy of study, andI have reached 40 kilos, that it seemed sick (well I was but they still didn't know that ..., ahh in the hospital, it was clearly anorexia .. in short, that I diverted).

You can eat a lot, but under calories, yes, my kitchen looks like R&D, all day trying new things.Now I have found a vegetable soup with dehydrated quinoa.I am trying not to take prepared broths, only natural.And even breakfast is getting used.Who told me that he would end up having breakfast Quinoa?
:)) :)) I was the queen of the Chinese and Italians.Of course I don't forgive a little chinito knows me Blessed Gloria, the sweet pss pss but a Chinese even of a dog I do not resist me [-x

pochola's profile photo
pochola
11/03/2015 7:41 p.m.

Or cat ... je je !!

Gala's profile photo
Gala
11/03/2015 7:47 p.m.

@Gala @inday @pochola I am departing from laughter, with the fresh cheese in the soup or with the eggs it looks surreal hahahahaha @pochola I love that of the soup, I sign it sure that I take away my hunger between hours that there are times that there are timesMy stomach is rooted.Thank you very much.

DiabetesForo
11/03/2015 11:44 p.m.

If we don't lack something (except dumb days) is the sense of humor.Hey! All night with a craving for Chinese food that you don't even imagine!

pochola's profile photo
pochola
11/04/2015 11:14 a.m.

The truth is that this diabetes tired me, I have been with it for so long that it has become torture ,,, the truth is that we are all going to die in some time ... what would be happy iseating what I feel like and when I feel like going out to walk when tb feels like it, in short control it takes me out of what and overwhelms me ,,, because then I do not understand why I do it ,,, I don'tIt generates a pinch of happiness or interest to have a good hem ... I can die of a heart attack right now and with perfect diabetes ...

xavi79's profile photo
xavi79
11/25/2015 4:31 p.m.

Xavi79, to me the only happiness that gives me the hemo well is that xD I am going there will not abandon me because on topThe only culprit is you ... that easy or see all of them, exact mathematics .. ha ha, I laugh

Gala's profile photo
Gala
11/25/2015 4:51 p.m.

gala said:
xavi79, to me the only happiness that gives me the hem well is that xD I go there will not abandon me because on top of that, if you do not have a good hemo you have to endure theChapron of the endo telling you that you do things wrong and that the only culprit is you ... that easy or see all of them, exact mathematics .. ha ha, I laugh
is that they are not diabetic that is that isThe problem, they do not see the problems more than the results, do not understand our licks, or that we are even the hat of it, so they abuse you, they only know what you should do, but surely if they would understand it a bitAs we feel, I the only whim that I can take is not to walk one afternoon, because I have walked this morning ... They do not know what it is to have to deprive you of food or eat what you do not like ,,, does not motivate me theFood, does not motivate me the physical exercise, that although I say that one feels better doing it does not happen to me ... in short to the diabetes hat ,,,,

xavi79's profile photo
xavi79
11/25/2015 6:13 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.