Hello everyone, new mother with 10 -year -old type 1

Patipol's profile photo   11/13/2015 10:41 p.m.

@Anzazuleg @ele @enma @ani @roCiollinares @patipol @regina

For those who have experience as mothers of diabetic children, one of the things I have seen that the most is the issue of facing to puncture, either to do glycemic control, either to put insulin, in your experience,How is it better to manage it to be autonomous?

fer's profile photo
fer
11/17/2015 1:49 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Well, the truth, I don't know if it is for age or why, but my daughter has shown us an impressive strength and maturity ... her income was early in the morning and that same night she asked the nurse to make her theglucose controls.And the next day, as soon as the insulin bomb took away, they passed to the ball, she wanted to prick her.And today is the day that in the night controls I try to make them for not waking it, and in the end it always tells me brings mom I better ..... feeling @fer not to be able to help you, even if I hope it serves as a motivation for other children.

RocioLlinares's profile photo
RocioLlinares
11/17/2015 2:21 p.m.

Mamá de María. 15 años. Diagnósticada 05/06/2015
Humalog
Tresiba
@RocioLlinares
Última hemo 6,1

By the way @fer, my daughter feels curious to know how many we are in the forum ...... Can you know? I guess it will be to know that she is not as alone in this as she thinks.

RocioLlinares
11/17/2015 2:23 p.m.

Humalog
Tresiba
@RocioLlinares
Última hemo 6,1

@fer, I have always tried to take away a responsibility that did not belong to him, for being a girl.
From control and insulin we took care of my husband and I, until she became independent at her own rhythm.It is true that he was always very responsible, I guess because he saw what worried us.
But he had a childhood as similar as possible to live without diabetes
And today lives as calmly as possible, with diabetes.
He did everything that had been proposed since a child, without being prevented.
Children do not have to assume adult responsibilities until they are prepared, and insulin treatment is high risk.
Another thing is that the child had no parents, or anyone who could take care of it ...

Regina's profile photo
Regina
11/17/2015 3:07 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

@Rociollinares, I also started doing the controls, better than the nurse who punctured me in all the finger yolk, that pain ... as soon as I could remove the puncture!
Normally we click us better that we know where it hurts more or less.
For example, when I'm going to prick the insulin, I approach the needle and it shows perfectly if it will hurt or not, because you do not go well with the needle or just at that point you are more sensitive or whatever (whatever chance that chance that chance thatWhen it hurts, Moratón usually comes out), it is normal for nothing.
And that does not show it, click on Law and if you bother you, you can hold you, for a lot of love that the other person puts.
The fingers is another song, as we have crushed, it always hurts but much more in the central area of ​​the pulp.
The fingers that hurt are the last 3 starting to count on the big toe.
From the beginning I have punctured and since then I have not let anyone click me, I think my husband once but no more, I think they will hurt me.
I think that the one to prick has them do them alone, with 10 years we can do it perfectly, supervised but that they are

Gala's profile photo
Gala
11/17/2015 3:28 p.m.

"Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro"

@Fer I am not a diabetic niño mother, but my mother punctured my mother on many occasions, I don't remember since when, but I would say that from the beginning we alternated one or the other depends on the circumstances.No one else has ever punctured me, not even my husband, I have always considered it very personal.I do not tell you the exact age of my autonomy, but sometimes I tell my mother, he is clicking on the arm to vary.Well, so far, with the bomb only, of course.I suppose that each child is a world, and naturally comes the time when you click alone, there is no choice if you want to live your progressive independence.I am also with @gala when you click others.They are hobbies.For example, it hurts more one side of the gut than another or a finger more than another

Ele's profile photo
Ele
11/17/2015 8:06 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Hello @patipol.My first advice is that, even if you supervise everything, be it your child who is gradually responsible for counting rations, measure, know how much insulin apply and know what to do in case of hypoglycemia (and always be prepared for them).When he knows more free and more independent it will be.I do not tell you that you despise you, but that he takes responsibility for his illness and you, without it seems, control everything.Thus you can go to excursions, to your grandmother's house, do sports .... do everything you want.

My second advice is that, when I need it, you listen to him and never tell him that "there are worse things."Put on your shoes, carry this is not easy.

And yes, I do I think we will see the cure, so much encouragement!:-)

ROAR's profile photo
ROAR
11/18/2015 7:02 a.m.

Hello!!In the case of Iago as clearly started with a honeymoon, insulin was put on his father or me, glucose controls were made, in principle, he was always 10 years old in the debut).
Now at 13 years the fast insulin is put on it, almost without exception, and the slow one we put it because we put it at 12 at night and almost always catches it sleeping;On the weekend if this awake is put on.
To measure the glucose, the freestyle has the advantages it offers from discretion when measuring, although in principle he did not mind doing it in front of everyone now he does not want and less to prick the insulin.It will be a matter of time that does not care again but is at a time when your image is very important ;;) and we have to respect it.
The truth is that he was getting autonomy little by little.But I will also tell you that his endocrine fights a lot because he has it, and he was the first to tell him that he could not discharge him but he was punctured.
Today we had consult with the endo and apart from encouraging him to take his own management, he told him to take out the entire game that could be the freestyle, that for that we were paying it ....

Enma's profile photo
Enma
11/18/2015 1:24 p.m.

Diabética tipo 3
Mamá de Iago (14 años)
Lantus 25 uds
Apidra a demanda
Freestyle libre
@enma

@Enma, Maria started with the Lantus at twelve, but little by little we have advanced it until 22.30, so as not to wake her up .....
By the way, we have also had a visit with the endo ... even in this they are the same !!!;)

RocioLlinares
11/18/2015 1:32 p.m.

Humalog
Tresiba
@RocioLlinares
Última hemo 6,1

@Rociollinares, I really don't care to prick at 12, and I control 2 hours after dinner.And do not believe that he does not wake up at all, the poor man continues to sleep as if nothing.Until when we see that you have to take right, it is hard for us to wake him up ...
Well, what told you that they are very even in almost everything :)), that they will still be good too ...

Enma's profile photo
Enma
11/18/2015 1:37 p.m.

Diabética tipo 3
Mamá de Iago (14 años)
Lantus 25 uds
Apidra a demanda
Freestyle libre
@enma

Well better, @enma .... Maria is that if he wakes up, and he gave us a shame ......
And that continue like this, or even better ..... the truth are fighters !!!

RocioLlinares
11/18/2015 1:42 p.m.

Humalog
Tresiba
@RocioLlinares
Última hemo 6,1

My son is still very small, but from 6 years I already hope to teach him to click on his finger, and begin to know what the portions are and understand that he has a device that has to take care of.
And I believe that from the age of 8 he would have to know how to handle insulin's increases and declines, at least begin to comment what he should do, change the pump patch.

They have to be autonomous as soon as possible, so that they lead a life as normal as possible, it is difficult, but being diabetic I see it like that, as soon as possible to handle diabetes before you can do their lives freely.Before you can go to a friend to sleep, before you can go on trip, etc.

Our children are not of our property are people and as such they should be able to do what they want, I would not have wanted to have my parents behind me all the time for my diabetes.

aranzazuleg's profile photo
aranzazuleg
11/19/2015 11:28 a.m.

@Anzazuleg what reason you are !!My son is already aware of his endo that he has to take care of him and not us, his parents.In fact yesterday he told him that as he had secretary, that he had to do it and that that could not be ...
At 6 months of his debut, Iago went on an excursion with the school and that meant sleeping one night and he went like the others.He also went to sleep at the house of the friends who invited him, I also have to tell you that the boy who invited him most his mother had suffered gestational diabetes and knew what to do and that gives a lot of peace of mind.
In sixth grade (a year and a half of the debut) he went to a one -week excursion to Asturias with the school.And this summer to a 10 -day camp.
You see that autonomy is achieved, with better or worse results, but there van.And for us patience and tranquility, that they try to do their best and if they are wrong, they will learn from it.It is difficult but it is our task to make them autonomous ...
And as @rociollinares say they are fighters !!^:)^

Enma's profile photo
Enma
11/19/2015 1:16 p.m.

Diabética tipo 3
Mamá de Iago (14 años)
Lantus 25 uds
Apidra a demanda
Freestyle libre
@enma

The parents are to weigh the food, and buy insulin, at first direct them a bit when going up and down the units but always asking them, because they are the ones who carry the disease.
My education was like that, and it has come very well throughout my life, and I want the same for my son.

That if I hope that in 10 years there is any advance that makes life easier, I have a method not to click the finger, or an insulin or device that made it easier to handle the ups and downs made up, hehehe .... I ask for little?

aranzazuleg
11/20/2015 9:05 a.m.

I think @Aranzuleg that we don't ask for much (since I join what you ask).If there is already a freestyle and a Dexcom, which can not advance.Iago when I was still in the hospital, he told me that when he was 20, there was going to be a cure, he has 13 ....

Enma's profile photo
Enma
11/20/2015 10:48 a.m.

Diabética tipo 3
Mamá de Iago (14 años)
Lantus 25 uds
Apidra a demanda
Freestyle libre
@enma

I get bad when I see so much advance in mobile phones and in cachivaches like that, and then they have not been able to invent an device that reads blood glucose and supplies insulin according to the need, introducing each person's personal parameters such as the indexof sensitivity.

What a mobile does the selfis with flasses yes, go qeeee ...

aranzazuleg
11/20/2015 10:51 a.m.

What reason are you !!But that is why we have to have hopes in the advances in the field of diabetes.Look that shortly after leaving the freestyle there are already several applications that can also measure it and get a lot.We use it and compare it and the truth is that although it gives differences sometimes they are not very large.It gives me to think that the progress will go there .....

Enma's profile photo
Enma
11/20/2015 10:55 a.m.

Diabética tipo 3
Mamá de Iago (14 años)
Lantus 25 uds
Apidra a demanda
Freestyle libre
@enma

As I said on occasion, fear is free.
The consequences of a severely noticed hypoglycemia we all know what it can lead to.And I don't like playing with those things.While I can avoid risks, I will.I am a "Cagao".Whoever wants to assume them, smelled for him.
I think setting a date or age makes no sense.The moment will come when it touches.I don't see the need to force him.

aaandres's profile photo
aaandres
11/20/2015 3:20 p.m.

Padre de Andrés, 17 años. Debut: septiembre de 2011.
Levemir (30ud. mañana y 24ud. noche) y Novorapid (en desayuno, comida, merienda y cena 40ud aprox - 24HC/día).
Medidor continuo DEXCOM G4 desde julio 2014
Hemo: 6.2 (Sept. 2013), 7.0 (Dic. 2013), 6.9 (Marzo 2014), 6,6 (Junio 2014), 6,7 (Sept. 2014), 7,0 (Dic. 2014), 7,7 (Mar 2015), 6,9 (Jul. 2015), 7,0 (Sept 2015), 7,4 (Dic 2015), 6,8 (Mar 2016), 6,6 (Julio 2016), 6,8 (Octubre2016)... 7,0 (Mar 2018)

I think the same as you, @aaandres .., until my daughter did not say a day "Today I shed", there was no pressure.And I don't remember when it was, so there was no trauma.And it arrived in plenty of time for everything.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
11/20/2015 6:46 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

I still remember my 5 -year -old niece crying the first days for the punctures ... I cried and got in a very bad mood.It lasted a week or so, because "fortunately" (I put quotes) soon he gave him some hypoglycemia and felt so bad and scared so much, that the one to puncture stopped being afraid (it was better to puncture but find himself well, do you understand?)...
There are no miraculous remedies ... The disease is what rules and there is also no logical reason to explain the reason why it happens to them and not others ...
For me, the best solution is to present other crios in their same conditions ... Thus they stop being "different" .. you know that the human being tends to feel less unfortunate if someone shares their sorrows ... we are "animalsof herd "(you already understand me ...)
A kiss.

nina45's profile photo
nina45
11/21/2015 12:53 a.m.

Diabetica tipo II desde Diciembre de 2012 pero descendiente de diabéticos desde nacimiento
Medicacion: metformina de 850 gr mañana, mediodia y noche.
Ultima glicosila 6
Lema: "If you want a positive life, spent time with positive people!"

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.