{'en': 'Can a diabetic type I stop injecting insulin?', 'es': '¿Un diabético tipo I  puede dejar de inyectarse insulina?'} Image

Can a diabetic type I stop injecting insulin?

martina3444's profile photo   09/28/2016 4:29 p.m.

Hello,

I am 17 years old and 2 years ago I have type I diabetes.

A friend of mine, also of my age they were diagnosed a year ago, and two months ago he stopped injecting insulin like this because yes, he does not need it.But it seems impossible to me, since your diet deals with many hydrates (pizza, etc.) and also drinks enough beer (I don't know if it's bad in a diabetic).

Can someone tell me if this is possible?!

Surely not, so, what would be the consequences of not injecting insulin?

I would worry that something happened to him, besides that he stops injecting or consulted with his doctor.

Thank you!

martina3444's profile photo
martina3444
09/28/2016 4:29 p.m.

DM1, hbA1c (mayo 21): 6'5
Voy al gimnasio, sobre todo ejercicio anaerobico.

If it is really diabetic type 1 that I doubt it.Stop injecting insulin is equivalent to dying, you enter a diabetic ketoacidosis.

LuVi's profile photo
LuVi
09/28/2016 4:55 p.m.

DMT1 desde los 12 años (1991)
hbA1c= 5,4

Humalog y Toujeo (mayo 2017)
Humalog y Tresiba (mayo 2016 hasta mayo 2017)
humalog y NPH (desde inicio hasta mayo de 2016)

Death in a few days if you are Diabetic type 1 honeymoon.

Artorias's profile photo
Artorias
09/28/2016 5:14 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

@Martina3444 There is no doubt, if a type 1 leaves insulin, he dies, he spends a couple of topics for you to have more information:

About diabetic ketoacidosis: Link

The history of the first diabetic patient: Link

And the latter with the history of diabetes: Link

I hope they serve you.;)

fer's profile photo
fer
09/28/2016 5:23 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

I ask me at age 16 and it wasn't a good idea.
When you stop injecting insulin the first days notes exhaustion. Then you lose a lotCom chest if your heart exploded then coma dicabetic and the hospital.
This was my experience of not injecting insulin so take care of yourself and do not do nonsense.

biwel's profile photo
biwel
09/28/2016 7:29 p.m.

Hello my question is also com type 2 diabetes with insulin and methampor

barki26's profile photo
barki26
09/28/2016 8:18 p.m.

@Barki26 If you leave the treatment to keep the glucose under control, there is a long list of problems, I copy you link in detail.

Link

fer's profile photo
fer
09/28/2016 10:15 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

I do not know if it is due to ignorance, lack of information or that, but there are people who must think that diabetes as a flu in which insulin is the antigripal that if they send you to take a box and take half nothing happens..Sadica and I will to torture myself causing lethal but non -mortal failures of all kinds.

LuVi's profile photo
LuVi
09/29/2016 8:44 a.m.

DMT1 desde los 12 años (1991)
hbA1c= 5,4

Humalog y Toujeo (mayo 2017)
Humalog y Tresiba (mayo 2016 hasta mayo 2017)
humalog y NPH (desde inicio hasta mayo de 2016)

biwel said:
that I ask me at age 16 and it was not a good idea.
When you stop injecting insulin the first days notes exhaustion. Then you lose a lotCom chest if your heart exploded then coma dicabetic and the hospital.
This was my experience of not injecting insulin

Did you want to commit suicide?

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
09/29/2016 8:49 a.m.

En 1922 descubrieron la insulina, en 1930 la insulina lenta. ¿Que c*** han hecho desde entonces?

sherpa41 said:
biwel said:
I wonder at 16 years and it was not a good idea.
This was my experience of not injecting insulin

Did you want to commit suicide?

If I wanted to commit suicide I would not be here anymore.
It is the simple fact of teenage thinking.

biwel's profile photo
biwel
09/29/2016 11:21 p.m.

Insulin is a vital hormone for our subsistence as you have explained perfectly up.Given that the diabetics need the one created in the laboratory and thanks to that we are alive and making normal life or almost because each one is a world.If your pancreas do not produce it and do not inject the die and it is a shame.
You have to be very careful with what people say because if your friend does that and is D1, it will be minimal annoyed to the point of the coma if it would not be and if it is type 2 it is hurt without wearing an adequate diet to control the sugarminimum without appropriate medication to your case

Isaserana's profile photo
Isaserana
09/18/2018 8:05 p.m.

I share the recent result of a person who left insulin treatment ... It is clear that it is not a good idea.[-X

Link not-not-you-see-tratamiento-con-insulina

With health issues ... you can't play !!, follow the doctor's recommendations!

fer's profile photo
fer
09/19/2018 4:50 p.m.

It is one thing to experience how you control your levels, another is to be reckless and negligent about the seriousness of the medication.Definitely if you have to inject you have to inject.And follow medical recommendations.Use metformin, but I have the insulins in reserve in case the time comes when it depends on them 100%.Diabetes is as Luvi says, sadistic.It presents many Quebse conditions associate with its presence.

DiegoA's profile photo
DiegoA
09/23/2018 2:30 p.m.

Does a question take weight with insulin even if you diet?

msp80s's profile photo
msp80s
12/17/2020 12:34 a.m.

I did not put insulin because I did not eat for having a gastroenteritis and ended with ketoschidosis

msp80s's profile photo
msp80s
12/17/2020 12:35 a.m.

msp80s said:
I did not put insulin because I did not eat for having a gastroenteritis and ended with ketoschidosis

You can never stop putting insulin, lack of insulin is what causes ketoacidosis.If you do not eat you will have to adjust the doses to avoid hypoglycemia but not leave it at all.You probably do not need anything quickly and the slow thing you can leave it the same or have to lower it a little, but you can never stop using completely.Insulin is not only necessary to cover meals, the body constantly produces glucose and needs insulin to use it (slow or basal insulin).If you don't get anything you will have hyperglycemia and ketoacidosis.
Faced with any disease that does not let you eat and drink normally you have to monitor glucose levels and put insulin to keep it in normal values.Dehydration can also cause ketoacidosis, if it is not possible to retain or water in the stomach it is important to go to the emergency department to put intravenous serum.If you can drink, then a homemade water, lemon, bicarbonate and salt or a pharmacy is sufficient.But always controlling that glucose is in normal values.If you go up a lot and fail to lower it with insulin, then to the emergency room.

Yessica_A's profile photo
Yessica_A
12/17/2020 9:14 a.m.

DM1 desde 2003 | Toujeo + Humalog | FreeStyle 2 | HbA1c 5.5

It depends on whether you want to live or not .... If you want to live, in a short time you will inject it again, or will pass through the emergency room and sooner than later if your diet is that guy.

Please do not stop commenting how the story ends.

Merchedm's profile photo
Merchedm
12/17/2020 9:32 p.m.

What depends on whether you want to live or not ... if you want to live in a short time you will inject your insulin or end up in the emergency room, sooner rather than later for the diet you indicate you carry.

Please do not stop commenting how your friend's story ends.

Merchedm's profile photo
Merchedm
12/17/2020 9:34 p.m.

Hello good,

Boys I tell you my personal story, not that of a cousin wedge or a told me ...

I debuted with type 1 diabetes at 15.

There was a time about 20 years, where I trained daily almost 3: 30h of Gym with a low hydrates diet.

I was practically 3 months that I insulin between 0 and 4 units per day of insulin.

When I went to the endocrine, he threw his hands in his head but because he didn't understand anything, he had a glycosylated 5.6 and was perfectly.

Understand that this was not a matter of 1 year, much less, but I leave you my story so that you understand that it is a disease that I believe is still unknown.

marine's profile photo
marine
12/18/2020 9:19 a.m.

@marine with low hydrates diet and a lot of sport can be used minimal insulin quantities but usually there is always any need.There are some (especially lada or honeymoon type) that they don't need anything for a while but it is because their body still produces something.There is also some case of women who a few days after childbirth do not put anything in insulin (I know any case), but they are not permanent situations and only happens in specific cases, it cannot be generalized.Just stopping to eat a few days due to illness, as is the case of @MSP80s you cannot stop injected because you have a risk of ketoacidosis, the doses will have to be adapted but not stop putting it on.
I guess in your case is what you had to do, when lowering hydrates and increasing exercise you needed much less insulin.
I also continue low diet in hydrates and to ketogenic seasons for years and I have seasons that I do enough sport but I still can't stop using insulin.I adjust the doses but are never zero.I have been with diabetes for 17 years and my pancreas does not produce any insulin already, if I do not wear it because it is insured ketoacidosis.
Many endocrine do not understand ketosis and low hydrates diets because they have not trained them and have no patients who do so to learn.Sometimes they are open and are interested to learn and others tell you that you do not do it because something will happen to you simply because they do not know how to manage it and prefer that you do the things they are comfortable with.But with knowledge it can be done without any problem low diet in hydrates, ketogenic, intense sport ... we go like any non -diabetic.We are more and more who do it and have glycosylated with which endocrine hallucinates.In the last one I had 5 that is the lowest I have had, but I have been with glycos for more than 3 years between 5.3-5.9.And there are people on Instagram who have managed to get off 5 and maintain it.But there is still a lot until the endocrine are well formed in this type of food and can help us.Luckily, my endocrine seems to see Bie, he has seen that low -hydrates diets are giving good results and does not oppose even if I don't see it with many knowledge to guide me, I have tended to look for it on my own.The truth is that as I carry very good controls my consultations are 5 minutes and we do not enter much detail.But I prefer that to an endocrine who "laughs" for not doing what he sends me, I just needed to have to go to consultations to argue with the doctor.

Yessica_A's profile photo
Yessica_A
12/18/2020 10 a.m.

DM1 desde 2003 | Toujeo + Humalog | FreeStyle 2 | HbA1c 5.5

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.