{'en': 'My experience losing weight with diabetes', 'es': 'Mi experiencia perdiendo peso con diabetes'} Image

My experience losing weight with diabetes

fer's profile photo   01/18/2017 3:33 p.m.

I open this topic to share the experience of losing weight with diabetes.

In my case, after the holidays I have fattened 3 kilos, it also coincides that I have injured myself (sprain of ligament), so I will be 2 months without doing sports, although I maintain the goal of losing weightand recover what I had before, to see how I get it !!

I will inform you of the evolution, for the moment I want to reduce the number of fast insulin units per day (in correlation with the intake of HC), for the moment I am in average of 35 units/day, (lantus apart), and I have proven verifiedThat below 25 units. I lose weight, yes, always maintaining good glycemic control!

If you are in a similar situation, I would like to know how you are going to do it, do you have any trick ???

fer's profile photo
fer
01/18/2017 3:33 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Hello fer !!

I am in the same as you.At the beginning of the year I decided that I had to lose a few kilos so I tell you how I am going.

The first week I exercised again and try to diet and the result was to gain 600 gr.

I explain you.I used 18 of Lantus and an Apidra unit for each ration of hydrates in breakfast, lunch and dinner.In the middle of the morning and in the snack if I took a fruit or a yogurt did not need insulin.When starting to exercise it was a disaster.

They were 5 or 6 hypoglycemia a day so I spent the day eating.I reduced insulin but little by little because I was afraid to spend that the first week was adaptation.Now I am getting 7 of Lantus a day and the fast I do not use it because the controls after the meals are now below 110 (once even in 80) without using the quick.

I still have hypoglycemia (in fact this morning 2) and what I do to avoid them is to reduce the main meals and make more meals a day (yes, I make two half mornings throughout the morning and two snacks).

On Tuesday I had to weigh and this week I lost a kilo and a half because the previous one already tells you that it was a disaster.Anyway, tomorrow I have endocrine to guide me a little because I still have some hypos and I don't know what to do to avoid them.

And what am I doing to lose weight?Well, an hour of cardio a six -day day and reduce hydrates.I make breakfasts big (my coffee, roasted and a fruit) because as I finish I will exercise.

In mid -morning and to snack fruit and/or yogurt.Food and dinner some vegetables and meat or grilled fish.Before going to bed if I am low a fruit to endure the night and voila.

Let's see how this week is.What I have proven is that the more controlled you have your diabetes is as if it costs you more to lose weight.I hope more people are encouraged and tell your experience.

I do not know if it will be because the years go by but to me the diet only does not work for me, or I move or do not lose a gram and before to remove three nonsense of the food lost two kilos a week as if nothing.

Anyway, tell me how you are going !!

All the best!

estherj's profile photo
estherj
01/18/2017 6:48 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

@"Fer", the scale says you enjoyed good parties!I before had a good glass of red wine with food and dinner.Without modifying the diet and suppressing the wine in 6 weeks I lowered 2 kilos.Borridísima but more beautiful.Greetings.

solaria's profile photo
solaria
01/18/2017 7:21 p.m.

Debut 46 â- 2012. DM1. Celiaquía e intolerancia lactosa. Anemia perniciosa.
MiniMed 640g + SmartGuard.

Thank you for sharing your experience @"Estherj" and @"Solararia"!

@estherj about what you say about the exercise, it can be normal to gain weight at the beginning, since you are gaining muscle while you lose fat, and the first weighs more than the second, but at the same time you will see that you lose weight.

In my case, the complicated thing will be to lose weight without doing sports, since with the sprain of ligament they have told me that in the next 2 months, that I do not exercise any exercise!:(

@"Solaria" I would like it to be as easy as the wine !!, although boring !!: P

fer's profile photo
fer
01/18/2017 7:49 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

fer said:
I open this topic to share the weight loss experience with diabetes.

In my case, after the holidays I have fattened 3 kilos, it also coincides that I have injured myself (sprain of ligament), so I will be 2 months without doing sports, although I maintain the goal of losing weightand recover what I had before, to see how I get it !!

I will inform you of the evolution, for the moment I want to reduce the number of fast insulin units per day (in correlation with the intake of HC), for the moment I am in average of 35 units/day, (lantus apart), and I have proven verifiedThat below 25 units. I lose weight, yes, always maintaining good glycemic control!

If you are in a similar situation, I would like to know how you are going to do it, you have a trick ???

Hello fer, happy year, surely the great majority will not share my low diet in HC, with it I have lost almost 8 kilos in a year and I really feel better, with better glycocity, better control of my diabetes values ​​almost in 75% acceptableFor almost all day, although you already know that there are days that everything goes from legs up we do what we do.
Sport 2 times a week gym an combined hour of aerobic and pesas.
My diet consists of:
Little bread
No pasta
Pizza
BOLLERIA CUILLAS MAGDALENAS BIZCOCHERIA IN GRAL ZERO.
Rice Nothing
Potatoes nothing
Fruits 1 a day
Caramelos nothing
Goodbye to beer

So you will ask what?

Think of Mediterranean diet and you get a quite close idea.

meats of all kinds, fish, chicken vaccine pork etc.
A lot and varied salads
Cheese of all kinds
Glass of milk or daily yogurt
Lentils with chorizo ​​bacon etc
various soups etc.
Red or white wine
Wife fruits almonds peanuts pistachos nuts etc

Symptoms sometimes weakness due to the low intake of HC.
My current weight is 73 kg and weighed 10,2014 80 kg, this weight has remained the last 8 months.
My daily insulin doses are at this time 10 units of Humalog daily and 34 of Lantus.

I really feel happy although sometimes it is hard to say that not many meals that I used to eat before, especially the pasta that I like a lot and also complicates when you go out to eat outside, although salads are almost in all places.

greetings

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
01/19/2017 1:37 a.m.

@"Afterego" and how do you carry the cholesterol?, The type of diet that you follow sounds to the Dunkan, etc ... and I understand that they affect cholesterol.

fer's profile photo
fer
01/19/2017 11:03 a.m.

In my case @"fer" the only thing that works for me right now to lose weight is exercise, having such a slow metabolism for the thyroid, I have to accelerate it, apart and as @"solaria" zero alcohol, I do not drink dailyNot much less but some wine or beer the weekend with its corresponding tapping did not take it away from me and now zero.Apart from diabetes I have hypothyroidism and consequently I took 12kg almost and now I am to see if I lose them, from September to early I lost 5kg but only in the month of December I have taken 3kg so I started again.Regarding rapid insulin, in my normal day to day, I do not usually wear more than 10 or 12 units daily.
Before I diagnose hypothyroidism I had lost a lot and it was for carrying a diet like @"Afterego" apart I improved my gyrose, my controls and my diabetes in general.

nigiri's profile photo
nigiri
01/19/2017 4:08 p.m.

DM1 desde 1990 - Fiasp y Toujeo - HG: 6,1

Ah and regarding cholesterol, very good, no problem @"fer" now, with the thyroid I got everything out of control and now I can't get it down 180

nigiri's profile photo
nigiri
01/19/2017 4:12 p.m.

fer said:
@"afterego" and how do you carry the cholesterol?, the type of diet that you follow sounds a lot to the dunkan, etc ... and I understand that they affect cholesterol.

Cholesterol if it has risen but not much.

DiabetesForo
01/19/2017 4:55 p.m.

I lowered some weight by changing the point of view of diabetes, that is, as @"fer" has commented, I proved me before in relation to what I ate and now as in relation to what I have punctured.For example, I ate 8 lentil and 5 portions of bread and put me 13u and run and now I put 8-9u and divide the lentils and bread for those units that I have put on.

I do not deprive myself, if I have to have a wine or a beer I take it, I think the key is not to happen with anything and eat a little of everything.
@"Afterego" I do not deprive me of the pasta, what I try is to eat the rice or the macaroni when I am going to do sports but otherwise nothing special.

Not clearly, apart from the difficulties we have the important role that genetics and age of each person plays.

sigsauer's profile photo
sigsauer
01/19/2017 6:28 p.m.

For example, wheat, the fatal metabolize but I like a plate of lentils and so richly, I have no problems with blood glucose, then the issue of wine or beer, I have realized that since I have hypothyroidism I retain many liquids and theDay I go for a drink and I drink my legs swell a barbarity etc, anyway, after a year and a half of treatment I am finally starting to find 100% well so I hope to start down those kg that I took andThen go back to my normal life and be able to take a couple of wines without thinking about weight.

nigiri's profile photo
nigiri
01/19/2017 8:55 p.m.

I have been regime for 4 years and I have lost 40 kg although I have 25 kg left to lose to see me as it was before.For an accident that I had two years and peak between operations and I couldn't get up from the wheelchair.My diet is balanced, now I have a hard time losing weight but the first 20 kg lost them in 6 months and without playing sports.My diet is to eat very few HC (only as HC at breakfast) I do sports every day from Monday to Friday, an hour or hour and a half, like many vegetables, salads and, fruits I usually eat two daily pieces, and yogurtone a day.My dinners are very lazy (I usually put a scrambled with mushrooms and a yogurt, or two sausages and a little natural tuna ...) the truth is that I get tired many times, and I get depressed because I still don't see myself as I am I am really.
Regarding insulin, I have had changes:
They changed my Lantus for Tresiba because there came a time when insulin did not effect and put 50ui.I am currently 32ui in Tresiba but I want to continue going down.
Humalog (it is the ultrarapide I use) I usually put between 2-5 IU in each meal.
And metformin has been put three months ago because, insulin makes me reaction and does not make me the effect it should.Then they put it to me for insulin to do its effect well.
You will tell us how you are doing.And I hope you get well on the ankle.
Greetings :)

EuBeRiRo_24's profile photo
EuBeRiRo_24
01/19/2017 10:50 p.m.

Diabetes Tipo 1 desde Mayo de 1993.
Tresiba: 32 Ui a las 23:00h
Humalog Kwipen: de 2 a 5 Ui en cada (dependiendo de las cantidades de Hc y los niveles de glucosa)
HbA1c 7.4% ¡¡Alcanzando mi objetivo!!
Creciendo cada día y sin parar de luchar en este mundo llamado Diabetes
Del 92

nigiri said:
for example the wheat the fatal metabolize but I like a plate of lentils and so richly, I have no problems with blood glucose, then the theme of wine or beer, II have realized that since I have hypothyroidism I retain many liquids and the day I go for a drink and I drink my legs swell a barbarity etc, anyway, after a year and a half of treatment I am finally starting to find 100% well so I hope to start down those kg that I took and then return to my normal life and be able to take a couple of wines without thinking about weight.

I do not upload the lentils, fatal flours and take hours to lower hyperglycemia and chore two hours more overwhelming.
In general, the Calculus Simepre comes out that it is short with the insulin or skewer too much Example 1 Unit of Insune Low 50 points in my false case, the ultrarapide takes effect to the 15 MINS, false also in my case.
The ultrarapide begins to take effect at the 75 min of having punctured it, right?
Beer makes me an example if I am in 120 with the beer, it shoots at 200 and then lowers and if I skewer 2 units for the same at two hours hypo.
The wine does not upload almost anything, it is true that it is a mystery to understand the human body and how each one works.

DiabetesForo
01/20/2017 2:38 a.m.

Well, it seems that the LANNEJAS is generic because the same thing happens to me, when as lentils postpondrial are the best so to eat lentils that are very good and very healthy ..;)

sigsauer's profile photo
sigsauer
01/20/2017 8:30 a.m.

It happens to me the same with the beer @"Afterego" I get the sugar a lot so if I go out for something, I prefer wine

nigiri's profile photo
nigiri
01/20/2017 5:18 p.m.

Courage everyone in this arduous task of weight loss !!And that you have a good weekend :)

nigiri's profile photo
nigiri
01/20/2017 5:24 p.m.

Very rookie novice question, diabetes makes you fat?Do not kill me if it is a myth question or something.Diabetes and hypothyroidism go hand in hand?The girl was looked at thyroid and celiaquia in the analytics, is it normal to do those tests?And would those tests usually do or was it only for admission?

T1d's profile photo
T1d
01/21/2017 10:39 a.m.

Many times they go hand in hand.They are autoimmune diseases and when you have 1, it is easier for the 2nd to appear and when there are 2, much easier to appear the 3rd, especially in women.

Gala's profile photo
Gala
01/21/2017 4:37 p.m.

"Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro"

I don't know if hypothyroidism and diabetes go hand in hand but in my case for 2 3 or 4 years they are going.
I am a hypothyroid (how bad it sounds) we are going to have diabetes from 6 and I have hypothyroidism for 2, 3 or 4 (as the endocrine goes it is just a 30 min pill before breakfast)
It is normal for them to test the Celiaquia there are cases that have presented together, or before one and then the other of anyway to a girl who diagnosed her diabetes a few months after birth and at two years they digested her that she was cceliac andNow with 20 years he has no Celiaquia after being more than 18 years without eating gluten.
We do not know but with good control the contract happens that when you diagnose that you have lost a lot of weight (bad control).Also if you have hypothyroids, I find it hard to lose weight.

samozeus's profile photo
samozeus
01/21/2017 5:38 p.m.

DM1 desde el 81 antes de naranjito.
Con bomba desde 2012
Minimed Veo parading
Minimed 640g desde 06/2015
Minimed 640g desde 19/03/2016 la 2a
Minimed 780g desde el 23/03/2021
Hemoglobina 12/01/2021->6.1
28/07/2021-> 6.4

Well good, to count on me, I have been engaged in this struggle for the ideal weight for a long time.When I had already managed to have a good weight and be debuting, and threatened as never before.Now I am tightening the diet more than ever, and not to wind what I do is the following:

1- Diet with a distribution in macros of 40% hydrates, 40% proteins and 20% fat (no kidney problem, on the contrary, also taking milk serum protein).Always 500 kcal below my basal metabolism, since although I train a lot I am of rather saving metabolism.

2- Write every day what, on this page Link there are many like this.My goal is to reach 2000 kcal daily.If I see that I am arriving, I plan to eat the right thing and not to happen.

3- I try to make insulin clean before training, so as not to have drops during training and try to recruit the mechanisms of burning energy to the greatest extent possible.

4- I do a work of force with heavy loads, at the same time as a resistance and mobility work.What is the same, I practice contact sports and fitness.

The result is good, especially because despite the fact that under little weight, most of it is a loss of fat and at the same time an increase in muscle and bone mass.But it costs horrors compared to before being diabetic ... so encourage!

FernandoGR's profile photo
FernandoGR
01/23/2017 1:57 a.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.