{'en': 'My boyfriend is diabetic and just works, is diabetes an impediment to work?', 'es': 'Mi novio es diabético y apenas trabaja, ¿es la diabetes un impedimento para trabajar?'} Image

My boyfriend is diabetic and just works, is diabetes an impediment to work?

Palomita's profile photo   05/29/2018 7:46 p.m.

Good afternoon,

I have reached this forum looking for information about diabetics, to try to learn and know more about this disease and tell my personal situation with my partner, because I really do not know what to do with my life.The question I want to ask you, both people who suffer from diabetes and relatives who live with diabetics, is whether this disease is an impediment to work and to lead a "normal life."

I tell you;I have been dating a man who suffers from type 1 diabetes for two years.He is currently 37 years old.He has no training, nor has studies.When I met him, I was working on the field, work that lasts just 3 months during the winter, and the rest of the year does nothing, it is limited to collecting unemployment (420 euros per month for six months).At first, when I started dating him, as I said before, he was working as a temporaryLimit to charge 420 euros of unemployment for six months, it is clear that it does not give to live.

The issue is that my boyfriend lives with his retired parents, and the mother feeds him and provides everything for free.During his twenty -seasons he was working for seasons in construction, but from 29 - 30 he has limited himself to giving only the field season in winter (3 months).

His illness, from this time that I have been dating him, it seems that he has been well, removing (yes) certain frequent declines because of the insulin that is put on, because sometimes he passes with the insulin (or he eats less thanWhat should) and give him some hypoglycemia, but in general it is very good, physically takes care of daily gym, etc.

What I have noticed at this time is that he is not worried about the lack of work, the future does not worry, he does not talk about throwing curriculum anywhere, nor does he talk to anyone to look for some work.That is, nothing.He only says that he is bored, and when the three -month season ends in the field he says;Oh, go, stop again, uf, from here to start the season again .. !!, to which I answer;Why don't you look for anything more stable or at least try to look for something for several months? And he answers me;Puff ... if there is nothing ... !!(Nothing says ... Of course, if you don't even go looking for it).

This is something that amazes me, because I have never seen a person of that passive age, and that I do not worry about working.I have even noticed that his mother, a 70 -year -old lady, who keeps him practically, does not tell him that anything is sought.He has it as if he were a 12 -year -old boy, getting up every day at 10 in the morning, without sticking to the water.I am the opposite, I consider myself a working, responsible person, I have my career, and what I am living is surpassing me.That is, I don't think this is happening to me.

Now, it is on top that he wants to form "a family", yes, yes.He wants coexistence, and wants to have children, because he says it is the dream of his life.I have tried to talk to him about his passivity and irresponsibility when looking for life, but it does not give me a blunt answer.He limits himself to wandering, he tells me that there is no job (when the truth is that he is not lookingThat he charges his unemployment for 6 months, we go, as if with 420 euros a month he could live and feed his children when he had them.

He is surreal, did not believe that there were adult (37 years old) people so extremely vague and irresponsible, and that they have the fantasy that it is possible to form a family in those conditions.

Given thisThat I am living, that it has me in shock, because I do not know whether to leave it, or if this is purely because of your illness .... I throw you the following questions:

Is diabetes an impediment to work?

Is there something that does not know this disease?

Thanks for your contributions.

Palomita's profile photo
Palomita
05/29/2018 7:46 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Diabetes is a whore just like working.There are people who can no longer and others with that.

However, your boyfriend, as you tell him, seems more to his character that is a bit vague to work than not because of the weight of his illness.

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
05/29/2018 7:53 p.m.

En 1922 descubrieron la insulina, en 1930 la insulina lenta. ¿Que c*** han hecho desde entonces?

The problem is that I have tried to talk to him and have a serious conversation, from adult to adult, and says nothing overwhelming.

I would like to know if that absence of interest in looking for work, if that lack of concern is due to your diabetes, either because you want to avoid health problems, well because work alters glucose levels ...

Whatever it is, I have tried to talk to him, because it is not normal for a person of his age to live by giving only 3 months of work a year, but I do not get a clear answer, only: Puff ... is itThere is nothing ... well ... I charge my unemployment ... !!

I don't know what to do in this situation ... I don't know if diabetes is the culprit of its passotism when looking for work.

Palomita's profile photo
Palomita
05/29/2018 8:08 p.m.

Diabetes has nothing to do with what you say, diabetes does not make someone a vague.It seems to me that what is that boy is a selfish, and it is his personality.You cannot outsource guilty to a disease of a person's decisions and actions.
Here most have diabetes and work without any problem, at least;)

Maritxu22's profile photo
Maritxu22
05/29/2018 8:20 p.m.

DM1 desde abril 2006. 33años
Tresiba:12-14
Fiasp a demanda
Dexcom G6

Última HbA1c: 6% (junio)

@"Palomita" Diabetes makes work much more complicated, but in my opinion, it is rare that it becomes impossible, especially if it is not physically demanding, so I agree with what they have already told you, which I do not think that isThe fundamental problem, but one more difficulty to overcome.

fer's profile photo
fer
05/29/2018 8:36 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

If you work as a temporary for 3 months every year and you have also worked on the construction that I think they are two of the most demanding physically speaking jobs and has not had a major problem and has taken them reasonably well having diabetes can obviously work on anythingexcept in the works in which diabetes is exclusive cause (pilot, State Security Forces, Army etc, etc.)

Another separate issue would be to look for work that if it is already complicated, with the diabetes backpack it is always a bit more complicated and will always find it in the dilemma of "I say it or I do not say it ...."

sigsauer's profile photo
sigsauer
05/29/2018 9:23 p.m.

I work and have my complications and make shifts up to twelve hours.And still I can control the diabetes perfectly.Diabetes is no excuse for not working or doing nothing.Unless you have complications that prevent it but we are going for what you tell is not the case.Here is a problem and it is not diabetes.All the best

Jess's profile photo
Jess
05/29/2018 10:56 p.m.

I believe Palomita that you are trying to put diabetes as an excuse not to see the reality that your boyfriend is a jeta and a vagus horn like the cup of a pine.My advice is that you run and do not look back and how has happened until today, that your mother endures.

nigiri's profile photo
nigiri
05/29/2018 11:12 p.m.

DM1 desde 1990 - Fiasp y Toujeo - HG: 6,1

@"Palomita", run daughter, run!What your boyfriend wants is to ensure that you keep it and then your children.Absolutely according to Nigiri.Greetings.

solaria's profile photo
solaria
05/29/2018 11:24 p.m.

Debut 46 â- 2012. DM1. Celiaquía e intolerancia lactosa. Anemia perniciosa.
MiniMed 640g + SmartGuard.

nigiri said:
I think you are popcorn that you are trying to put diabetes as an excuse not to see the reality that your boyfriend is a jeta and a vagus chub like the cup of a pine.My advice is that you run and do not look back and how has happened until today, that your mother endures.

Although at times I wanted to think that diabetes could hinder him to work, in the background I think what you say, much to my regret ...

Palomita's profile photo
Palomita
05/29/2018 11:52 p.m.

I think he has become very comfortable with his mother's care and has become a parasite, and I don't think he changes.
Yes it does not convince you now, less will it convince you later.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
05/30/2018 12:04 a.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

Good night Palomita, look I put my example, I work in a factory factory here in Seville, it is a totally physical job, I am 3 shifts, tomorrow, afternoon and night, I have passed through many hypoglycemia that left me KO, andWhat I did was talk to my educators and they told me to request an insulin bomb to my endocrine and since I have it I can make the greatest effort that this does not happen to me and with the sport the same, so tell him that working canLike anyone, that diabetes is not an impediment, greetings and luck.

Dannyvega87's profile photo
Dannyvega87
05/30/2018 2:48 a.m.

DM1 Abril 2016
-Fiasp y Toujeo
-Freestyle libre 2
Hba1c 6,0 septiembre 2022
De Sevilla!!!

Honestly, diabetes does not affect him.Simply live from subvections, you are, etc. because it is what he has seen in his environment so his family does not seem bad.I know several people like that.They charge subsidies and live life.

My advice, do not form a family with him.It will not work at half-long term and you will suffer a lot.It is hard but as you describe you deserve someone better by your side who shares with you the charges of a home and children.

Courage with your decisions.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
05/30/2018 7:38 a.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

Hi @Palomita!I am with my compis, I run because what he wants is to change his mother for someone younger to keep him.Of course I also have diabetes since the age of 12 and has not never been an impediment or to study or work, even study and work at the same time.Moreover, I recognize that when I work I have much better controlled diabetes by routines.What happens to your boy is that he does not want to work or look for work, or train or anything.And he puts an excuse that "PUF is that there is nothing"

erpla's profile photo
erpla
05/30/2018 10:05 a.m.

DMT1 desde 1994, Bomba de insulina desde 2016, Freestyle+Miaomiao+Xdrip, última Hemo 5.8%

His diabetes has nothing to do, here you have us others throwing 2 flats for each day we are as we are from our diabetes go to work or look for our lives to find a job.Having diabetes or not, I am going to save anyone, but as they say neither has a trade nor beneficity.Everyone will know what to do with his life and with whom.

LuVi's profile photo
LuVi
05/30/2018 12:50 p.m.

DMT1 desde los 12 años (1991)
hbA1c= 5,4

Humalog y Toujeo (mayo 2017)
Humalog y Tresiba (mayo 2016 hasta mayo 2017)
humalog y NPH (desde inicio hasta mayo de 2016)

@Palomita sometimes we put the bandage in our eyes but the important thing is to realize on time and rectify.My advice is the one we are giving you all, even if it makes you very sorry, think of you and your future and send it for a walk.Greetings and you will tell us how your story ends!

nigiri's profile photo
nigiri
05/30/2018 10:08 p.m.

DM1 desde 1990 - Fiasp y Toujeo - HG: 6,1

I had not worked for months and the first day gave me a 500 supplies with 10,1 emotoglobin did notFriday from 8a8 and I save it 24horaa I have children and I am house and neither one thing nor other asido impeding to work if it can be believed that his case is faster than something else

Rocio36's profile photo
Rocio36
06/03/2018 12:08 a.m.

@"Palomita" Your boyfriend is more dog than fog (in addition to caradura).Leave it.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
06/04/2018 9:12 a.m.

He looks that his mother has spoiled his whole life (I don't know if being diabetic has influenced this, are his brothers the same as him?).It is a shame, because it has not done any good.A spoiled child ends up being a demotivated, boring and vague adult (and, sometimes, even depressed), and from that circle it is very difficult to leave.
I know I don't know you anything, but I think you deserve something better.You deserve a person who looks more like you and is as hardworking and responsible as you.
Good luck!

Anuska's profile photo
Anuska
06/04/2018 2:27 p.m.

anuska said:
looks like his mother has spoiled his whole life (I don't know if being diabetic has influenced this, are his brothers the same as him?).It is a shame, because it has not done any good.A spoiled child ends up being a demotivated, boring and vague adult (and, sometimes, even depressed), and from that circle it is very difficult to leave.
I know I don't know you anything, but I think you deserve something better.You deserve a person who looks more like you and is as hardworking and responsible as you.
Good luck!

No, his brothers are not the same as him, they are quite the opposite, responsible men and workers, with a couple of balls.I do not understand why so much difference from one brother to another, if they have been raised by the same mother ... Anyway, I think you are right, all it has is laziness on and laziness, a mother without lightEverything and maybe a lot of hard face, as they say there ... Ayyy ....

Palomita's profile photo
Palomita
06/13/2018 6:30 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.