{'en': 'From the age of 50 diabetes increases cognitive deterioration by 40%', 'es': 'A partir de los 50 años la diabetes aumenta un 40% el deterioro cognitivo'} Image

From the age of 50 diabetes increases cognitive deterioration by 40%

fer's profile photo   01/10/2018 9:15 a.m.

The results of a recent study published in PLOS One magazine indicate that older adults with diabetes from 50 years of age have a greater probability of cognitive deterioration and a shorter life expectancy compared to those who do not.

“A recent estimate suggests that diabetes is associated with a 40% increase in the chances of cognitive impairment among elderly people.The precise physiological pathways that link diabetes and dementia are not determined, ”according to Carlos Díaz-Venegas, of the Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research in Rostock, Germany.

Keep in mind that cognitive deterioration is an important cause of loss of independence, since it presents an obstacle to adhesion to medication and the results in the costs of attention are extremely high.According to researchers "policies aimed at improving results among people should inform cognitive impairment in this population of adulthood."

Crossing data from various studies and health systems, researchers studied the age of appearance of cognitive impairment and life expectancy with and without cognitive impairment due to the state of diabetes among medium and adults between medium and adults.

The total sample included 13,687 individuals between 50 to 74 between 2000 and 2012. Participants were interviewed through the telephone to measure their cognitive function.After gender stratification and control by age, education and race, the age of appearance of dementia and life expectancy was calculated with and without cognitive impairment, and the result was that the appearance is estimated from 50years.

The results show diabetes as a strong indicator of the increase in mortality and cognitive deterioration.For men, women and for most ages, people with diabetes had a higher prevalence of cognitive impairment than those who do not.

Since the age of 50, men and women with diabetes had a first incidence of cognitive impairment 3 and 4 years before, respectively, that those without diabetes.Diabetes decreases life expectancy from 5 to 7 years.Compared to individuals without diabetes, patients with diabetes lived approximately 1 year less with poor cognitive health.On the other hand, although education was highly protective of cognitive health, diabetes was related to a lower age at the beginning cognitive impairment and a lower number of years of healthy life.

Link to the original article: Link

fer's profile photo
fer
01/10/2018 9:15 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

It is very likely that it will relate to little controlled diabetes, or with the evolution that complicates the cardiovascular system and, therefore, the oxygenation of the brain.For the narrowing of the arteries.
Well ..... I have 73 and I think I'm still in force.;;)

Pilar Vendrell's profile photo
Pilar Vendrell
01/13/2018 4:42 p.m.

Pilar V.

I agree with Pilar.Articles on clinical studies, if not well made, you have to take them with tweezers or directly send them to the trash.I have experience at the level of economic and statistical work.From the reading of the method section I observe several things that lead me to be very cautious in the interpretation of results.It is a sample of Americans alone.Then, we already know the cultural problem they have with rations and sugar.Then it turns out that they use a multinomial regression.But they have data on diabetes evolution time.I would have used a Cox or similar regression since the time elapsed is very relevant.And then I have not seen that they have a variable to control the effect of "the quality of control" for example with the glycosylated value.In short, I see little value in that work for us here.Not long ago I could comment with my endocrine three works that linked cancer and insulin glulisine, and we disassemble it immediately because the sample was badly done (as can be the case of this, there is selection bias) since the risk of cancer grows with theAge, there are non -controlled environmental exposure factors, which is what is called confusing variables.
Conclusion: No one is exempt from cognitive impairment, but in relation to diabetes, if we control it well, the risks are similar to the general population.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
01/21/2018 11:23 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Simple diabetes without control, complications. Cancer, its cells feed on glucose. Cognitive deterioration, says Diabetic 50 years, usually appears at 55 years. Alzheimerbase.Strokes, impossible to predict, can attack a diabetic as not yet diabetic.Activities that appreciates the brain, painting mathematical exercises.We can all use left and right side at the same time.I remember that it was said that hypoglycemia seriously affected the brain, false is not so.The truly important thing would be scientific research and progress in new treatments and cure dementia, Parkinson, etc ..... The secret is found in the hematoencephalic barrier.Filter that protects the brain but what after breakage or inflammation affects a diabetic person like one who does not.And I remember before the Coronavirus the Alzheimer's was the pandemic of the 21st century. From the age of 65 they are a man or woman and alive our body begins to shrink and bend and comes with different changes and processes.Diabetes linked to take care of yourself, I do not know what the future holds but I know how I want to get there.

2piuviato1frts's profile photo
2piuviato1frts
02/16/2021 5:39 p.m.

K5288pn25.

mloureiro said:
coincides with pilar.Articles on clinical studies, if not well made, you have to take them with tweezers or directly send them to the trash.I have experience at the level of economic and statistical work.From the reading of the method section I observe several things that lead me to be very cautious in the interpretation of results.It is a sample of Americans alone.Then, we already know the cultural problem they have with rations and sugar.Then it turns out that they use a multinomial regression.But they have data on diabetes evolution time.I would have used a Cox or similar regression since the time elapsed is very relevant.And then I have not seen that they have a variable to control the effect of "the quality of control" for example with the glycosylated value.In short, I see little value in that work for us here.Not long ago I could comment with my endocrine three works that linked cancer and insulin glulisine, and we disassemble it immediately because the sample was badly done (as can be the case of this, there is selection bias) since the risk of cancer grows with theAge, there are non -controlled environmental exposure factors, which is what is called confusing variables.
Conclusion: No one is exempt from cognitive impairment, but in relation to diabetes, if we control it well, the risks are similar to the general population.

I have 31, your lyrics help me a lot.I am very sensitive and accept that I have D1 to accept it and above all to think about the future.😅

Pablo Asturianin's profile photo
Pablo Asturianin
02/17/2021 12:18 a.m.

Tengo diabetes desde el martes 9 de junio del 2020. Tipo 1.
Llevo el FREESTYLE Desde el 30 de Julio. Todo muy bien, con subidas y bajadas pero aprendiendo a controlarme más cada día. Gracias por el foro.
Share on Twitter

Thanks for sharing it.It is very good and is novel.

evacf's profile photo
evacf
02/19/2021 9:35 a.m.

When good news about diabetics?For example:
Diabetics are the most handsome mature mature according to a study of ...
😀😀😀😀😀😀
😉

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
02/19/2021 8:50 p.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

We need good news please

Maria José Solano Maria's profile photo
Maria José Solano Maria
02/21/2021 11:58 a.m.

Scheme these studies depend on many factors.

It is obvious that diabetes plays against us, just like any other disease.But what degree of care of their diabetes have the people in the study had?Many factors are missing and to draw hasty conclusions.

The important thing: we have not chosen this.It simply plays to take care and not scratch for things that we cannot control.Giving it more turns is to enter a loop that does not suit.Let's live, take care and smile, you never know what can happen tomorrow or past.

eloypdavila's profile photo
eloypdavila
02/21/2021 1:27 p.m.

Yes, yes… question all the studies, once I commented that we have less life expectancy and almost throw me out of the forum, what does not suit us say ,,,, Ah, that is for evilControlled,, I don't know, I think we don't want to be aware of the p..M ... of disease we have and continue to say that we are like non -diabetics ,,, I am seeing it, some will say the one who does not suffer from diabetes also hasConnigivo deterioration, so I like wounds as it suits us, do not worry with good control we are fucking mother ,, happy week !!!

andrespmat's profile photo
andrespmat
09/12/2021 10:37 a.m.

I have never questioned the life expectancy that you comment on the diabeticThat being here writing this.

Alberto_13's profile photo
Alberto_13
09/12/2021 1:06 p.m.

DM3c desde 2018; hb 6 % (feb.. 2022) (tresiba+fiasp+metformina)

Only that tobacco, alcohol and bad habits choose them so we do not complain, but diabetes chose me to me, that's why I don't want it and I will always complain, the rest we choose it

andrespmat
09/12/2021 1:38 p.m.

What I will not understand is the optimism that some disease gives them, I even read, I am better than a non -diabetic because I take care of me more ,,, go and go there, that the one is fine, it is not necessary to take care of itAnd it is better than you that you take care of you, look that I have entered forums and in none we speak like that of diabetes, in this it is said of everything, until because they are diabetics we are smarter, it is that there are things,,, this is like tobacco kills you little by little, but we say that taking care of us, we are like a rose, and every day they investigate comes a new complication apart from the thousands we have, but consider it as ignorant"It's nothing, you click before meals and that's it,

But then it seems bad that nobody knows that it is, so that if diabetes is nothing, that according to some diabetics ,,, my opinion is that it is a fucking shit and I am fine ,,, greetings to all and take care of you a lot,, that you are wonderful, but it turns out that later you hear ,,, I have not given a week controlled yesterday I was an expert x ,, only you hear contradictions ,, I am fine, but at the same time I do not give myself controlled ,,,PUAAGGGGG

andrespmat
09/12/2021 1:53 p.m.

I see you very pissed off with diabetes, I'm sorry in the soul, because because of my age I have lost friends, even my best friend, because he fed up with fighting, tb smoked and left him, drunk and left it was from those of the timeI don't know if you have met them, treated by the family doctor, if he saw an endocrine, he was paying 60 euros, but he could not prescribe him or sensors, so I think that your way of thinking is an offense to all thatPeople who have left their lives without the means that you have, seriously abandon your attitude, relax and take care, there are thousands of more serious diseases than this.

Alberto_13
09/12/2021 2:05 p.m.

Read again, you all say the same (there are thousands of worse diseases that you are) you always say the same, I care this, which I have ,,,,, and my way of thinking is mine, noHe has to offend anyone, as yours say that you are fine or that you are like a non -diabetic, you do not offend anyone, here each one gives their opinion and mine is that ,,, we should go out to the street toclaim other things or make complaints like I have done in the health centers and not go out in the forum saying I am like a non -diabetic then do not claim anything, we are a country of tambourine, we are Spanish ,,,, we always try to fix the houseof others before ours ,,, come money for NGOs and other nonsense ,,, but as we are well controlled, they give us

andrespmat
09/12/2021 3:06 p.m.

And you tell me that you lost friends because they tired of fighting and you claim that we are taking care, we are the same, you are contradictory

andrespmat
09/12/2021 3:07 p.m.

I insist I regret that you take such evil, you have the disease and the bad vault that you distil and that if you can take life ahead and not diabetes, insist ... relax and enjoy what you have left ... orYou are going to be alive next week?

Alberto_13
09/12/2021 3:16 p.m.

As you are not going to get tired of fighting, if 24 hours you think 25 in it, it is normal that you finish exhausted, that's why I do not understand according to what comments, I understand that of doubts and ask and inform yourself, butThose of claiming that we are fine and we are like the others regarding things of physical, I do not just understand them, they put you from an athletes, there are also paralimpics that do things that we do not do those who do not have any disabilities,, but that is the escape, not normal

andrespmat
09/12/2021 3:18 p.m.

You have mentioned it, move your speech to the paralympics, to see what they tell you, they are surely happier than us and lead a more complete life than ours and they do not go out to demonstrate and are 25 of 24 hours training and overcoming

Alberto_13
09/12/2021 3:23 p.m.

I see it clear.We can assume what has touched us and live life in the happiest way possible or be bitter.
And if not for diabetes, we are sure to think of another reason to bitter if it is what we want.
I am with Alberto.I feel that you carry it so bad.In life it is not so much that touches us but how we carry it.It is shown that in exactly the same situation for two people, one can be completely happy and the other completely unhappy.
What touches us, touches us.We put the attitude.

isabelbota's profile photo
isabelbota
09/12/2021 4:11 p.m.

DM 2 con páncreas agotado desde diciembre 2020. 51 años entonces.
HG diciembre 2020: 15.9. Última HG: julio 2024 5.8
Abasaglar 9 unidades. Metformina, 1000/0/1000. Humalog junior: 2 unid en desayuno y luego en función de lo que coma.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.