{'en': 'Glucometer, strips and frequency', 'es': 'Glucometro, tiras y frecuencia'} Image

Glucometer, strips and frequency

JaviGT's profile photo   05/06/2018 5:17 p.m.

Hello everyone!

First of all, sorry if this was not going here or if my consultations have already been resolved on another occasion in the forum.Well, the mess ...

My mother has diagnosed type 2 diabetes and, for the moment, they have prescribed pills.The doctor has told him that he does not give him any glucometer and that to measure his glucose level he passes with the nurse ... Therefore, I have thought about buying a glucometer, I have been seeing by Amazon and the best -selling / recommended are the"Bayer Contour XT" and the "SD Codefree" ...

Which of these two is better?Or in your opinion, is there another better?What would be?

Another doubt, I understand that the reactive strips have as any product their expiration date but, independent of this date, once the packaging where they come, do they have a time limit of use?... I ask why I have read a comment at Amazon that mentions that the strips are worth only three months!

And finally, and always appealing to your experience, my mother (62 years) with type 2 diabetes, medical for "zomarist" pills and without insulin use. How many times a day, week or month should the glucose level be checked?... As I said, the doctor did not give any importance to this although I think he has it, right?

Thanks for your answers.

JaviGT's profile photo
JaviGT
05/06/2018 5:17 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Glukometers are usually all reliable, with maximum errors of 15%.
Fasting control can be done, which must be the lowest.Two hours after eating, he will give you an idea of ​​the highest.
More important than specific controls is the glycosylated hemoglobin value in an analytical, it must be less than 7.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
05/06/2018 5:23 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

@Regina ... Thanks for your answers.

So, I understand that the glucometer does not matter because they are all similar and that they should be four daily controls, right?

And with respect to the expiration of the reactive strips once the packaging opens, is it true that they last only three months?

JaviGT's profile photo
JaviGT
05/06/2018 5:42 p.m.

Well, if you don't use insulin, you will not be in danger of hypoglycemia and you will not need so many controls.The important thing is that the treatment keeps the glycosilada well.
The expiration of the strips I do not know how to tell you, but it will put it in the prospect.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
05/06/2018 6:43 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)

@Regina ... again, thanks for your answer.

I have seen the analysis and in "glyd hemoglobin" puts a value of 6.5

With respect to the strips, then I understand that the expiration time after the container is opened for each strips brand is different, isn't it?... therefore, this returns me to the intrigue of knowing which glucometer buy?

JaviGT's profile photo
JaviGT
05/06/2018 7:01 p.m.

No, they must be all similar.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
05/06/2018 8:03 p.m.

Ok ... I think I'm going to decide for the "Bayer Contour XT" ... to see how it is going.

@Regina ... Thank you very much for your answers.Very kind.All the best.

JaviGT's profile photo
JaviGT
05/06/2018 8:19 p.m.

Contour is very good glucometer and hemoglobin in 6.5 is also very good, so, quiet, everything will do well.In what we can help, we are here.Welcome to the forum.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
05/06/2018 11:47 p.m.

Thank you very much @regina ... You have been very kind.Any other questions will be here ... greetings.

JaviGT's profile photo
JaviGT
05/07/2018 1:04 a.m.

Javigt said:
ok ... I think I'm going to decide for the "Bayer Contour Xt" ... to see how it goes.

@Regina ... Thank you very much for your answers.Very kind.Greetings.

I would buy the glucometer with the cheapest reactive strips.Each package of the strips that I use are about 42 euros (I prescribe the endocrine because I have TD1), I say it because if the doctor has not prescribed anything, you will not have a recipe or copayment ... and it will be time to scratch thePocket and cheap is not ... the glucometer until they give it to you in the ambulatory or the pharmacy because they are interested in are the strips !!!!!

losttotheriver's profile photo
losttotheriver
05/08/2018 4:58 p.m.

@Lostotheriver ... Thank you very much for your comment and forgive for taking to answer ... I've been outside and I hadn't been able to connect.

Well, my mother already has the "Bayer Contour XT" ... in the closer pharmacy they sell for it, yes, as you say, they are nothing cheap ... I have been looking for and, apparently, theGlucometer with the slightly cheaper strips is the "Codefree" but you always have to ask for them online because I have asked in the four closest pharmacies and they know you in no one do not intend to do so ... so despite that "inconvenience"And that it is a brand that I had heard in my life, I think the next purchase will be the" Biosensor Codefree "kit even if I have to continue buying the strips online.

I said, thank you very much for your advice ... greetings !!

JaviGT's profile photo
JaviGT
05/13/2018 6:05 p.m.

You can also find the tires you can also find them much cheaper than in pharmacies ..

Regina's profile photo
Regina
05/13/2018 10:24 p.m.

regina said:
The strips for the contour you can also find them much cheaper than in pharmacies ..

Yes, I have already seen that they can also buy cheaper online but, still, those of Codefree are still cheaper.

Thanks for your comment ... greetings !!

JaviGT's profile photo
JaviGT
05/13/2018 11:09 p.m.

javigt said:
regina said:
The strips for the contour can also be found online much cheaper than in pharmacies ..

Yes, I have already seen that they can also buy cheaper online but, still, those of Codefree are still cheaper.

Thanks for your comment ... greetings !!

€ 8 The box, compared to € 25-30 minimum of the other brands.

You have to be very rich so as not to choose the codefree (if they do not give you strips).

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
05/13/2018 11:15 p.m.

En 1922 descubrieron la insulina, en 1930 la insulina lenta. ¿Que c*** han hecho desde entonces?

@Sherpa41 ... Yes, that's how I made the mistake of choosing the contour for the brand and I didn't look at the price of Peeeero strips now I have it clear, I'm going to get the Codefree kit.

Thanks for your comment ... greetings !!!

JaviGT's profile photo
JaviGT
05/14/2018 12:33 a.m.

sherpa41 said:

€ 8 The box, compared to € 25-30 minimum of the other brands.

You have to be very rich so as not to choose the codefree (if they do not give you strips).

Sorry ... where is the box of strips for the Codefree to 8 euros?Because at Amazon the 50 strips is 18 euros and the 100 strips at 29 euros ... could you tell me where you have seen that price?

JaviGT's profile photo
JaviGT
05/14/2018 12:35 p.m.

On eBay.The seller Homehealth-UK

Every 2 or 3 months I buy 10 boxes for € 84 shipping included.

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
05/14/2018 3:20 p.m.

En 1922 descubrieron la insulina, en 1930 la insulina lenta. ¿Que c*** han hecho desde entonces?

sherpa41 said:
on eBay.The seller Homehealth-UK

Every 2 or 3 months I buy 10 boxes for € 84 shipping included.

Ah, ok ... I had already seen on eBay but I didn't know if it was reliable ... I see that they also sell the glucometer, will it be the same as the one they sell on Amazon or the strips are only compatible with the one they sell on eBay?Or is it indifferent where the glucometer is bought or achieved?

JaviGT's profile photo
JaviGT
05/14/2018 3:49 p.m.

It is indifferent, when I am in a hurry because they just pillo a box on Amazon that they send it to me in a single day.

Ebay usually takes about 10 days.

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
05/14/2018 4:09 p.m.

sherpa41 said:
is indifferent, when I'm in a hurry because they run out of a box on Amazon that sends it to me in one day.

Ebay usually takes about 10 days.

Ok ... then it is already determined ... on eBay it will be the order ... Thank you very much for your help ... greetings !!!

JaviGT's profile photo
JaviGT
05/14/2018 4:23 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.