{'en': "I don't understand this roller coaster!", 'es': 'No entiendo esta Montaña Rusa!'} Image

I don't understand this roller coaster!

Pepeluis77's profile photo   07/13/2018 5:58 p.m.

Hello everyone,

Although I have searched, I have not found an explanation to the following, thanking if someone has gone through the same or knows that I can try.

In each meal and especially in the dinners (child 3 years) the glucose begins to rise as normal, making some 180-200 peaks at half an hour 3/4 that begin to go down (I understand that due to the insulin novorapid) and that reaches up to 80-90 about the hour and a half, (it once even gives it hiccups) but that begins to rise again without eating anything (sometimes it already catches him sleeping) and that does not stop until reaching 300 or more, when at this point they have already passed between 3 and 4 hours and I have to correct with insulin.

If insulin already did its effect, shouldn't it be stable around 2 hours?

He only has a novorapid breakfast, food and dinner.

Thank you!,

Pepeluis77's profile photo
Pepeluis77
07/13/2018 5:58 p.m.

Hijo 3 años DM1

Only fast ??He lacks slow insulin.Once the fast effect passes if it is not slow because it starts to rise.
Consult it with the doctor.

Anaisabel's profile photo
Anaisabel
07/13/2018 10:31 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Indeed, it looks all that is missing a basal to maintain glycemia once the rapid stops acting or unless it does not shoot at 300.

macarron_con_diabetes's profile photo
macarron_con_diabetes
07/13/2018 11:04 p.m.

DM1 desde Julio 1992 (con 11 años).
Bomba Medtronic 780G con Novorapid.
HbA1c: 5,9% (Octubre 2022), TIR 91%

The truth is that it makes quite sense what you comment.When I debuted, they only put it basal at night, but they took it away because it lowered it so much that it spent all night giving cookies (half ration) and now without it they pass at 3 in the morning they remain close to 100 until 8 o'clock: 30 that rises.

For the day he has the breakfast (over 9:30) and at 11:00 he has to eat 1 ration (without insulin) because he goes fair (about 70-80) and with that he throws until 13:30 although sometimes I have toGive 1/2 ration to reach food between 13: 30-14: 00 hours.Something similar happens with the snack equally eats 1.5 rations without insulin to get to dinner.

If they put basal, wouldn't it be lower with greater risk of hypo during the day?

Pepeluis77
07/14/2018 1:07 a.m.

Hijo 3 años DM1

Yes at night he was low, they took the basal for that.So young children are very sensitive to insulin.
When you grow up, they will put some basal and will be better.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
07/14/2018 3:12 a.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

Well, after talking to the endocrine, we put a basal unit again at night, and again to not sleep ... it has the anti alba effect and lowers a lot about 6:00

Do you think of trying something?Because he refuses to eat cookies as he wakes him up ... I don't know if he will be better for him to be without slow even about 300 between 00:00 and 3:00 you think, because I'm going crazy.

Greetings,

Pepeluis77
07/17/2018 12:17 p.m.

Hijo 3 años DM1

It is quite complicated to be so sensitive to insulin and so small.The same with half a basal unit would not go down so much but I do not think there are bolis of half basal units.Ask the endocrine about this to see if you see it as possible solution and give you syringes to put the slow if you think it can be a solution.
But you have no choice but to leave it without slow and that this hours high until it grows or assess whether they can put a bomb that already allows you to put different basal for hours and adjust with very small amounts of insulin.

Yessica_A's profile photo
Yessica_A
07/17/2018 12:33 p.m.

DM1 desde 2003 | Toujeo + Humalog | FreeStyle 2 | HbA1c 5.5

That is the subject, which slowly there are no half units or that is what they have told me, and I do not understand why, since Novarapid if there is and are the ones I use.

I still go around whether to put on or not slow at night, if I do not put it, start from 00:00 to 03:00 and those 3 hours are above 200, and if I put it I spend the whole night in candleLooking at the Dexcom that does not stop whistling and giving him a cookie between 4: 00-5: 00 and crossing his fingers to get up at 08:00 in 80.

That you think it is better, because the doctor just tell me that as it is so small is what there is ... but that it is several hours with the high glucose does not cool me.

Greetings,

Pepeluis77
07/18/2018 9:57 a.m.

Hijo 3 años DM1

pepeluis77 said:
I still go around whether to put on or not slow at night, if I do not put it it starts uploading from 00:00 to 03:00 and those 3 hours is above200, and if I put it all night in candle looking at the Dexcom that does not stop and giving him a cookie between 4: 00-5: 00 and crossing his fingers to get up at 08:00 in 80.

Why do you give cookies when it is low?Have you tried to give it a fast zumito (of the normal 10g of HC per 100ml)?Glucose will rise faster and also feel more at that time in the morning.

aaandres's profile photo
aaandres
07/18/2018 10:24 a.m.

Padre de Andrés, 17 años. Debut: septiembre de 2011.
Levemir (30ud. mañana y 24ud. noche) y Novorapid (en desayuno, comida, merienda y cena 40ud aprox - 24HC/día).
Medidor continuo DEXCOM G4 desde julio 2014
Hemo: 6.2 (Sept. 2013), 7.0 (Dic. 2013), 6.9 (Marzo 2014), 6,6 (Junio 2014), 6,7 (Sept. 2014), 7,0 (Dic. 2014), 7,7 (Mar 2015), 6,9 (Jul. 2015), 7,0 (Sept 2015), 7,4 (Dic 2015), 6,8 (Mar 2016), 6,6 (Julio 2016), 6,8 (Octubre2016)... 7,0 (Mar 2018)

Because they did so in the hospital.When in night controls it was between 70-100 (at 03:00) they gave him 0.5 ration of slow.The juice only uses you when it goes down 70 and if it is true that it goes up faster I observe that I also lowIn bed once with a swipe :(

Pepeluis77
07/18/2018 10:31 a.m.

Hijo 3 años DM1

Tell the endocrine of putting the slow syringes that if you let you put half units to see what it seems.Or that I told you if you can use a flatter insulin.I guess it will use it at night, it will be the Levemir that has a peak of action and that is the same is what is annoying.If you do not think that keeping you high is the solution that you propose something else.You have the right to give you an option with which you are comfortable.Not only because the endocrine says that this is right you have to be satisfied.

Yessica_A
07/18/2018 12:17 p.m.

I think the same as Yesssica_a
How slow are you putting?
It would be better half a unit, or put it in the morning, pear avoid the peak of the night.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
07/18/2018 12:37 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)

We were prescribed Levemir 1u that comes directly with the pen because they told me that in the slow one there is no possibility of 0.5U but I will comment again.

I am also noticing that during the day he is going up a lot after meals, especially the breakfast that gives him a 300 peak and low as quickly, we go to breakfast at 9:00 and at 10:30 I already havethat being giving it 1r and at 12:30 another until 14:00 that eats and curiously from 16:00 - 16:30 (in theory the rapLittle until 18:00 (300 peak) that wakes up and with 4 jumps that hit a lot ...

For this reason they told me that as it comes under meals they can't put him slow for the day, and that's why I don't know what I can do to take those climbs on the nap and at night ...

Pepeluis77
07/18/2018 12:58 p.m.

Hijo 3 años DM1

In a small child it is more important that you have no hypos at night.
Yes, putting the slow morning, you avoid the descents of the night, you can avoid the ones you may have before meals with a little mid -morning or snack.Calculating hydrates so that it reaches meals well.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
07/18/2018 1:10 p.m.

Yes it has high peaks after breakfast, change breakfast. Tax with a little protein and fat ... cheese and ham with some bread or integral cookie? Do not give juices at breakfast.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
07/18/2018 1:14 p.m.

Thanks to everyone for your answers.I imagine it will have to try and testing ..

For breakfast I have tried to give it whole milk (before I took Semi) with Nesquik 30% less sugars and cookies (I think I have all Gullon models without sugars) but I have not noticed any change ...

The slow is not just for 12 hours?Is it the same for the day as at night?As I was only told by Levemir at night I do not know if it lasts 24 hours and also covers for the day.

Greetings,

Pepeluis77
07/18/2018 1:24 p.m.

Hijo 3 años DM1

In children with such sensitivity, it can reach 24 hours.
Ask the endocrine to put it in the morning, to avoid the peaks of the night ..

Regina's profile photo
Regina
07/18/2018 2:16 p.m.

The cookies usually wear refined flours and that rises almost as fast as sugar, the peaks come from there.You can try other slower hydrates such as porridge with cocoa and nutsame).If it does not make integral in the ingredients, it is refined.Other times they also call it integral and only carries a small percentage of whole wheat flour and the rest is refined.The ingredients always come out in order of quantity, the first will be the one that has most % and so on the last.
The fruit is also quite slow and if you combine it with some protein and fat because it is slower.For example, as with Greek yogurt, nuts, 90% black chocolate pieces and cinnamon and is very good.
You can also do you at home whole oat cookies or whole wheat with nuts or black chocolate pepitas.They are quite simple and rich and make sure it is 100% integral and will upload it slower than those bought.
This is to try.Breakfast is usually the most complicated by the hormones that the body releases in the morning that cause us to raise glucose and be more resistant to insulin.

Yessica_A
07/18/2018 3:37 p.m.

I am going to try to do the cookies with him to encourage them to eat them, because the problem that is as small as I put something that is not cookies for breakfast throws it in my face, it already costs me to have breakfast something and take milk... my mother how complicated it is.Thank you.

Pepeluis77
07/18/2018 4:13 p.m.

Hijo 3 años DM1

I would try to put the slow in the morning as they have told you.My child is 2 years old and I understand perfectly how complicated the issue of food is.And it is true that they are affected by a fuck by being so small any things that they eat without insulin or a little insulin without eating what lowers it.

Dalu's profile photo
Dalu
07/18/2018 6:48 p.m.

Papa niño 3 años diagnosticado julio 2017. Uso medtronic 640 con sensor enlite. Ultima glicosilada 6,3.

Diagnosticado noviembre 2019.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.