{'en': 'What were your problems and experiences practicing intermittent fasting?(Type 2 diabetes)', 'es': '¿ Cuáles fueron sus problemas y experiencias practicando el AYUNO INTERMITENTE ? (Diabetes tipo 2)'} Image

What were your problems and experiences practicing intermittent fasting?(Type 2 diabetes)

Jorma's profile photo   09/23/2019 5:42 p.m.

Hello everyone, this is my second publication in this forum, and I would like to know your opinions on this topic:

First, I will explain the situation: my little brother, who is a man with type 2 diabetes like me, will practice intermittent fasting to reduce insulin resistance under medical supervision.B> In fact, he has been practicing this for six days.At first, it is dealing with this new habit and is using a low carbohydrate diet while practicing intermittent fasting.

I write this publication to know the experiences with the intermittent fasting that other users had in the past.And uric acid while practicing this new habit, because my brother sometimes feels gout attacks

I will not use the intermittent fasting at this time, but I am interested in knowing his experience with this, as I explained in my title

Thanks for reading me!

Jorma's profile photo
Jorma
09/23/2019 5:42 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

I am type 1 and I fast 16/8 (I do only 2 meals a day) almost daily and from time to time I do a 24 -hour fast.I have ever done sports during fasting and without problem too.In those cases I do not use fast insulin, only slow.I have also had to interrupt an fasting and drink glucose to avoid hypoglycemia.But in general the glucose remain stable when not like.If you do not use insulin, you will not have the hypoglycemia problem.
As advice I think it's good to start little.Making first a long fast can be hard, but if you start to skip some food the days that you are not just hungry you get used quickly and take 24 hours without finding out.

Yessica_A's profile photo
Yessica_A
09/23/2019 10:58 p.m.

DM1 desde 2003 | Toujeo + Humalog | FreeStyle 2 | HbA1c 5.5

I am type 1 and I fast 16/8 (I do only 2 meals a day) almost daily and occasionally I do a 24 -hour fast.I have ever done sports during fasting and without problem too.In those cases I do not use fast insulin, only slow.I have also had to interrupt an fasting and drink glucose to avoid hypoglycemia.But in general the glucose remain stable when not like.If you do not use insulin, you will not have the hypoglycemia problem.
As advice I think it's good to start little.Making first a long fast can be hard, but if you start to skip some food the days that you are not just hungry you get used quickly and take 24 hours without finding out.

OK, thanks a lot !It was very useful information because, above all, the issue of medication has said that you have to have it very controlled, and your information has been very useful the truth

Can I ask you if the first times you made intermittent fasting, you felt pain, dizziness or similar?The relative who has just begun to make intermittent fasting of type 16/8 has been feeling small dizziness for a few days and wanted to ask you if it is usually like that

Thank you very much, I hope you have a good day and that you do well with the control of diabetes!🙂

Jorma's profile photo
Jorma
09/27/2019 10:41 a.m.

@Jormo I did not notice anything but in my case I started very little by little and already started from a low hydrates diet (which I also did the change little by little).In addition, I spend a lot of time reading on ketosis, fasting, etc. to understand what happens to the body and the possible effect it has.I always like to inform myself before doing something, I think that part is very important.If you don't understand what you are doing you can have problems.In the case of your brother if a much better doctor supervises him, but it is still important to understand well what is done to react to any things that may arise.
I tell you how I did.The first thing I did is stop eating between hours and start making 3 daily meals.Then I started jumping some food on days that the previous food had eaten more than normal and was not hungry.For example, after a meal with friends away from home where you usually eat more than usual, I arrived at dinner with no hunger and I didn't cost me anything not to have dinner.Rather the opposite, it was hard for me to eat something because I was still full.Those days my food jumped.And then I have started not to breakfast because I'm not hungry when I get up.What I drink is a coffee alone (that does not break the fast).
I think it is normal to feel some dizziness at the beginning if you come from making 5 meals a day because the body is very accustomed to constantly depending on glucose and you also have the habit of eating at certain times.When you do fasting, slight ketosis is usually entered (it depends on the duration of the fasting and the adaptation of the person) and that causes some symptoms if it is not adapted.I would recommend that you go little by little, first if you make 5 meals that passes to 3 and then that it is skipping when you are not hungry or delaying breakfast and advancing dinner as much as possible.Thus, fasting time is lengthening little by little without much effort.Once you can spend 1 days with 2 meals without hungry, making 24 hours costs nothing.
It can also be good to drink some hot drink without calories during fasting like coffee alone, te, infusions ... but most importantly I think it is to do it little by little to give the body time to get used.If you go from 5 meals to fasting 16/8 suddenly it is normal to spend it badly at the beginning, much better to do it gradually.And if you already start from a low diet in hydrates better because the body is used to using fat and does not depend so much on glucose.
In addition, doing so gradually allows you to adapt the medication more safely.Also if you have glucometer that is measured when you notice dizziness in case it is a hypoglycemia, in that case that eats something and the next fasting attempt that reduces the medication.I suppose that the doctor will tell, to teach him what the medication should reduce in those cases.The normal thing is that dizziness is because the body is not adapted, but using drugs could be hypoglycemia and it is better to measure itself.

Yessica_A
09/27/2019 12:16 p.m.

Yesssica_a said:
@jorma I did not notice anything but in my case I started very little by little and already left a low diet in hydrates (which I also did the change little by little).In addition, I spend a lot of time reading on ketosis, fasting, etc. to understand what happens to the body and the possible effect it has.I always like to inform myself before doing something, I think that part is very important.If you don't understand what you are doing you can have problems.In the case of your brother if a much better doctor supervises him, but it is still important to understand well what is done to react to any things that may arise.
I tell you how I did.The first thing I did is stop eating between hours and start making 3 daily meals.Then I started jumping some food on days that the previous food had eaten more than normal and was not hungry.For example, after a meal with friends away from home where you usually eat more than usual, I arrived at dinner with no hunger and I didn't cost me anything not to have dinner.Rather the opposite, it was hard for me to eat something because I was still full.Those days my food jumped.And then I have started not to breakfast because I'm not hungry when I get up.What I drink is a coffee alone (that does not break the fast).
I think it is normal to feel some dizziness at the beginning if you come from making 5 meals a day because the body is very accustomed to constantly depending on glucose and you also have the habit of eating at certain times.When you do fasting, slight ketosis is usually entered (it depends on the duration of the fasting and the adaptation of the person) and that causes some symptoms if it is not adapted.I would recommend that you go little by little, first if you make 5 meals that passes to 3 and then that it is skipping when you are not hungry or delaying breakfast and advancing dinner as much as possible.Thus, fasting time is lengthening little by little without much effort.Once you can spend 1 days with 2 meals without hungry, making 24 hours costs nothing.
It can also be good to drink some hot drink without calories during fasting like coffee alone, te, infusions ... but most importantly I think it is to do it little by little to give the body time to get used.If you go from 5 meals to fasting 16/8 suddenly it is normal to spend it badly at the beginning, much better to do it gradually.And if you already start from a low diet in hydrates better because the body is used to using fat and does not depend so much on glucose.
In addition, doing so gradually allows you to adapt the medication more safely.Also if you have glucometer that is measured when you notice dizziness in case it is a hypoglycemia, in that case that eats something and the next fasting attempt that reduces the medication.I suppose that the doctor will tell, to teach him what the medication should reduce in those cases.The normal thing is that dizziness is because the body is not adapted, but using drugs could be hypoglycemia and it is better to measure itself.

Sorry, I just realized that I never answered you!

Seriously, your information has been very helpful!Currently, I am following an intermittent fasting and your advice I think it helps me a lot to do things correctly and be able to go more comfortable doing this

I will follow your advice, I have already read your comment several times, in fact: Smile:

Thanks again for your time and your effort.Have a good day and see you for the forum!:)

Jorma's profile photo
Jorma
10/21/2019 12:06 a.m.

@Jormo I'm glad it serves you.If you want to read more about intermittent fasting, look for the fitnessrevolutionary blog.It has several posts on very good fasts.Surely they help you too.

Yessica_A
10/21/2019 10:34 a.m.

I have doubts.What do they look for with intermittent fasting and how is it practiced?What benefits do you have?

matrix's profile photo
matrix
10/27/2019 7:20 p.m.

Desde México. DB2. Metformina c/ 12hrs. No insulina. HCG22/02/21: 9.0. HCG 18/04/21: 7.4

Hello, I don't understand, nor have I heard of the intermittent fasting

BARROSA's profile photo
BARROSA
10/27/2019 8:21 p.m.

matrix said:
I have doubts.What do they look for with intermittent fasting and how is it practiced?What benefits do you have?

barrosa said:
hello, I don't understand, nor have I heard of the intermittent fasting

Hello !In the theory, it is assumed that practicing intermittent fasting of an adequate and writing forna could be able to reverse (cure some say) type 2 diabetes or improve the symptoms of type 1 diabetes

I am not an expert in this, I am talking without knowing, since I am currently following this form of "diet" and according to, many people comment, it works.Although I am still testing if it works and how

For more information, I read a book called the Diabetes Code that explains it, and there is also a Spanish -speaking Facebook group called "Revert the Diabetes" that I follow it, and according to people, people have worked

If you have any questions, you can ask me 🙂

Jorma's profile photo
Jorma
10/28/2019 9:31 a.m.

Type II diabetic spy for many years.Since the summer of 2018 I started with the Dr. Bernstein's low hydrates diet and it went very well because the glucose curve ranged all day between 85 and 120, with a gly of 5.9, but I had not managed to lower Touje of 26 units andI had all symptoms of insulin resistance: I had to do something else.
So following the instructions of Dr. Fung, Ekberg and others I decided to do the recently intermittent fasting.I immediately under the glucose below 80 so I reduced toujeo to 16 units in the morning and replace the efficib for metformin alone in the morning.
What I do is not dinner because of what is a diet 18/6 and I do it about 5 days in week, I have not lost just weight in the 3 weeks that I have, less than 1 kilo, and the glucose is alddedor from 100 to firstAnd last time of the day but it lasts the day in the morning, especially I have something tall yesterday 150 before eating. Some days if I spend some hunger but come on is bearable.
As well as the low carbon diet of Dr. Bernstein if he had immediate effects, to the intermittent fasting 18/6 I do not see too many benefits.have it at acceptable levels 16/8 too
I must have a lot of insulin resistance and I will have several months of patience I suppose ..

mborque's profile photo
mborque
10/28/2019 10:17 a.m.

Fasting is never healthy because it forces a very large effort to the body when the first bite is ingested after many hours of abstinence.
Nor in diabetics and non -diabetics.

I am type 1 and for work I have touched the occasional fast of more than 10 hours.Glucose tends to go down very slowly, so I have no hypos, but when I put insulin and how, even if it is a bit, my body needed with nutrients shoots with very high glutemia.Last time I ate 3 pieces of cheese and a skimmed yogurt, 10 g HC more or less and had put 2 ud of insulin, I finished 212mg/dl.

For the type 2 that still generate insulin it is very bad because the pancreas based on and starts, like the motor of a car.This simile was made by my endocrine when I developed diabetes and for me it makes sense thinking that the body is like a machine that has been born to oxidize and wear out.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
10/31/2019 7:55 a.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

@Ruthbia Where do you get what you say?Have you seen any scientific study?Because there are many in which it is seen that fasting has many benefits.One of the things it does is that it promotes autophagy, that a recycling process that the body has and only shoots when it is fasting.Yoshinori Ohsumi gave him the Nobel for this discovery, I think he will know more than your endocrine.And you can find a lot of scientific literature that supports its benefits.The only problem of fasting is that you did not ingest enough nutrients in the rest of the meals you make.If only 1 food is made a day, not everyone is able to eat everything it needs because there is a lot.That is why there are different ways of fasting to adapt to each person.
If fasting was a problem we would have extinguished ourselves for a long time, this is the first time in the whole history of humanity where we always have food available.It is more than 10 hours of fasting that you say almost or consider themselves a fast, it is more or less those that are done daily while we sleep and that everyone does.
You should inform yourself a little more before saying things without any scientific basis.
And what you say about the pancreas and the engine is to laugh.The pancreas is always releasing insulin, even in fasting (the basal) because it needs it for glucose that the liver continues to produce for certain cells that cannot use ketone bodies as energy.What wears the pancreas is to make it work more than the account continuously eating HC, so the DT2 that do not follow the recommendations of the majority of endocrine are getting worse little by little and over the years they need insulin.His pancreas already works more than normal, it makes no sense to make it work more continuously.

Yessica_A
10/31/2019 8:44 a.m.

I make intermittent fasting, 16 - 8, not only becauseI'm hungry, breakfast, obviously, but of course I do very well and for me to have broken with the myth that breakfast is the most important food of the day has been a discovery because not all bodies are the same.There will be people who cannot do it or who need to ingest food more times a day but there are other people who do not and today it is shown that it is not necessary to put so many times a day food into the body.

nigiri's profile photo
nigiri
11/05/2019 12:06 p.m.

DM1 desde 1990 - Fiasp y Toujeo - HG: 6,1

@nigiri the same thing happens to me and it was one of those who could not leave home without breakfast because I was dizzy.Now almost never breakfast, like you if one day I wake up hungry because as something, but usually not.I even go to the fasting gym on weekends and train without problems.In summer I made a 24km route without breakfast or eat, until dinner I did not ate anything and was not hungry.I get along not to eat, I could make 1 food a day and not go hungry.I do not usually do it because I am unable to eat everything I need at once, but not for hunger.I am only hungry at noon, breakfast and dinner I can spend without them if I have not done much sport that day.

Yessica_A
11/05/2019 6:13 p.m.

It is that until 14 or 15 I am never hungry, it has always happened to me, in fact my mother also happens, I have much more appetite and hunger in the afternoon than in the morning and the truth that I have no low or climbFor this reason, on the contrary

nigiri's profile photo
nigiri
11/06/2019 5:41 p.m.

@Yessica_a on the Internet Forget about finding serious and truthful studies of results.I have several researchers for friends and their laboratory results are published in prestigious magazines that are not in any social network or find them on the Internet.

The ability of each of not eating does not imply that it is healthy.In fact we live more years thanks to the fact that we eat better and more, at the time when you go back they fasted out of necessity like my grandparents in the postwar period and thus happened to them, life expectancy is diminished, that is also demonstrated.Formerly they were elderly with 35 years, my grandparents died with 55 and today we have an average of 83 years.

Fast what you want, I do not breakfast, I can't work, my mood down a lot and I don't stand up.With one meal a day you will end up developing other pathologies.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
11/07/2019 7:54 a.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

@Ruthbia In Pubmed you have millions of scientific studies of all kinds of topics.As everything is more reliable than others, for that you have to know how to interpret a scientific study (which is not easy).There are different types, some more reliable than others and it is also important to see who pays the study to see the possible conflicts of interest.

The argument of the life expectancy you give makes no sense.Life expectancy influences many things in addition to food: infant mortality, hygiene, dangers to which it is exposed.
Formerly they were not elderly with 35 years, that was life expectancy at some time because there was tremendous infant mortality.Once adolescence was overcome your life expectancy, it went up a lot.In addition to that throughout life you had many more chances of dying of an infection that today is very low due to antibiotics, hygiene and vaccines.And added to all this life was much harder in every way, in the Paleolithic any animal or a rival tribe could kill you.
According to experts for the remains that have been found in the Paleolithic there were people who reached old and did it in much better conditions than today.They were able to hunt and survive in an environment that we could none today.So that health has improved food is not true, there are many other things that have increased life expectancy.
I still have 3 living grandparents, one already passes the 90. And my great grandmother died with 94 (I still met her) and spent a lot of hunger and a very hard life.We all have examples for almost anything, but that does not validate an argument, it is just a specific case.Scientific studies is what we have more reliable and still is not reliable to 100% because in nutrition nothing is because each body is different.
The benefits provided by fasting are very well documented in scientific literature.One thing is your opinion, which seems very respectable and another what science says.You can't get fear of people about things that are your opinion.That you are not doing well not to eat x times a day does not mean that it is bad and much less applicable to everyone.And as I said the fasts is not something that must be done from one day to another.If you have always made 3-5 meals a day you cannot suddenly go to do 1-2 because it is normal that it does not find you well, that is not for fasting, it is because your body is not adapted.In a long fast your body enters ketosis and few people today are adapted to ketosis and give you the typical symptoms of "keto flu".To avoid that you have to do it correctly, as everything in this life cannot be done without knowledge.
To make 1 single food a day you do not have to develop any pathology, another thing is that you are able to eat everything you need at once.I make 2 meals because I am not able to eat so much coup, but there are people who can and have no problems.In my case I prefer to make 2 meals and from time to time make a 24 -hour fast.Things must be adapted to each person.
And with this I do not want to say that everyone has to do fasts, everyone will know what he does or does not.But from there to say that the fasts are harmful without any scientific evidence because either, because it is quite the opposite.

Yessica_A
11/07/2019 2:25 p.m.

The luck we have with flat insulins is that you should not eat certain times.
With the insulins before, 5 meals had to be made not to have hypos.That was slavery.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
11/07/2019 8 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

It was terrible @regina, I give faith

nigiri's profile photo
nigiri
11/08/2019 12:38 p.m.

Yesssica, everything you say, I have the same position.
Moreover, I am two years ago, with fasting and with adequate food at the moment I have controlled my diabetes in values ​​almost within the normal parameters, only with metformin that lowered the dose too.
It is also true that each body is different, and not everything that works for one serves others.
I come experienced with several things, and my diabetes team in recent times, we have been speaking a lot.
It is also true that I have knowledge about medicine for a close relative, and consults a lot with him.

Jor's profile photo
Jor
11/11/2019 3:59 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.