{'en': 'Hyperglycemia, how do you correct it?', 'es': 'Hiperglucemia ¿como la corriges?'} Image

Hyperglycemia, how do you correct it?

magl's profile photo   12/18/2019 9:01 p.m.

Well, last night I spent (unintentionally) and this morning I was 284 mg/dl.Use 2 ways to correct it:
a) I add extra bolus, I wait a 30 min and breakfast my 3 portions of carbohydrates (HC).I do that in moderate climbs
b) I add an extra bolus, I look at glycemia until it stands, and then breakfast.
But what happens if it takes almost 3 hours to normalize, as it happened to me?I show you the graph:

Well, at 3 hours of insulin there is only 10% of it (more or less), and if I had taken my 3 portions of HC I would have given me another rise.
So I only took 1 HC ration, and it has worked.

How do you usually do it?

magl's profile photo
magl
12/18/2019 9:01 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

I do not have time to wait so if I lift 300 and for my breakfast I put 3 units because I will put 6 or 7 breakfast and work.

Anaisabel's profile photo
Anaisabel
12/18/2019 9:19 p.m.

Well.You have to know how many HC an insulin unit lowers you.Your educator will tell you.For example, if a unit goes down 50 mg/dl, you wake up to 270 and your goal is to be 120, you will be administered 3 units.If you are also going to eat 3 rations and you with a 1.5 -port metabolized unit, you will have to add 2 more units.In total 5 units.Ask your nurses or your endocrine to calculate it

Ignasi_p's profile photo
Ignasi_p
12/18/2019 9:30 p.m.

Abasaglar 25U (noche)
Novorapid 4/6/6 (y lo que caiga por enmedio)
Glicosilada (30/4/19): 6.5

With insulin and as soon as I put on 170-180 and as.

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
12/18/2019 11:21 p.m.

En 1922 descubrieron la insulina, en 1930 la insulina lenta. ¿Que c*** han hecho desde entonces?

Insulin and to which he goes down as says @sherpa41, to eat
With that and the basal, you will normalize the control

vanessa30's profile photo
vanessa30
12/18/2019 11:36 p.m.

I follow what they told me in their day in diabetological education, you add the correction.
With your values ​​I would have put my 4ud of Bolus + 2 use of correction.I await about 40 min for the insulin resistance of breakfast and to eat.

I do almost every morning (+1ud) because I get up above my threshold (I love cheese at night).

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
12/19/2019 8:12 a.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

@Magl I understand that you put your correction and the corresponding to the CH from breakfast but it turns.
One that that value of 284 was "284 and up" that is, that you managed the bolus corrector for that value at that moment, but that you measure you 10 min later and is 350 ...values ​​so far from the range The meter error is greater.
Another thing is that at a higher level of blood glucose, the greater the sensitivity factor (or insulin resistance) at least in my case, a value of 170 I correct it with 1U (my fs is 70) butI have a value of 300 and also in the morning you probably need more than 2.8 units, which is what the calculator tells me ... it is typical case of file x ...
In these cases I put insulin and try to delay breakfast as much as possible.

erpla's profile photo
erpla
12/19/2019 12:48 p.m.

DMT1 desde 1994, Bomba de insulina desde 2016, Freestyle+Miaomiao+Xdrip, última Hemo 5.8%

Ideally, try to correct before breakfast.If there is no time, several times I have put the breeding of what corresponds to 3 breakfast plus correction, but this does not like the doctor.He always insists that we first corrected and then the food, dinner or what he touches.

Mario_S's profile photo
Mario_S
12/19/2019 6:22 p.m.

@Mario_s have told you the opposite of me ..... ha ha, ha ... every endocrine has its criteria, as if to trust.

Already with some experience, I think everyone must try and keep what results.
I prefer to add the correction to food because I save a puncture and as I am going to eat food, the glucose is not going to plummet, which is what we should avoid, the continuous peaks.A curve stays soft.
The times I have corrected and then more insulin to eat whatever, I get very often peaks.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
12/20/2019 10:21 a.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

ruthbia said:
@mario_s have told you the opposite that me ..... ha ha ja .... Each endocrine has its criteria, as if to trust.

Already with some experience, I think everyone must try and keep what results.
I prefer to add the correction to food because I save a puncture and as I am going to eat food, the glucose is not going to plummet, which is what we should avoid, the continuous peaks.A curve stays soft.
The times I have corrected and then more insulin to eat whatever, I get very often peaks.

Each endocrine to his and each with his own, unique and unrepeatable diabetes.
That is why you have to be careful.What is worth some, may not be worth it.Things, advice, recommendations can be tested, but only each one will be able to determine the good and the bad for their diabetes.

Mario_S's profile photo
Mario_S
12/20/2019 11:15 a.m.

If you have the possibility, get an interstitial meter.That dependence and meticulousness that you show have to disappear from the life of a person with diabetes in the 21st century.

etogonza's profile photo
etogonza
12/22/2019 11:07 a.m.

I try to explain what has happened with glycemia, because what is going to happen always has some mystery.

And what I wanted to know with this question is if you took into account the insulin that is active when taking the HCS.

The glycemia sensor would be fantastic, because you do everything faster and easier, regardless of the option you choose to correct that hyperglycemia.

I hope that soon we can wear a sensor, and also, working on it must be incredible.

magl's profile photo
magl
12/27/2019 8 p.m.

I continue with my calculations.This morning I put only a correction bolus (it is a test) to normalize the sugar, and I have not had breakfast.I have measured fasting glucose, at 2 hours and 4 hours:

Making calculations, what 1 fast insulin unit has lowered me is:
(274-150) / 4 U.I. = 31 mg / U.I.
That is, that 5 U.I.It would also have been a good option, because I would have gone down to 120 mg/dl

And, as @erpla said, the insulin dose of the 1st graph was insufficient to correct blood glucose and rations.I did that calculation for the 1800 rule, and I used 50 mg/U.I to determine my dose of insulin.I understand that it is an approximated value and that it varies in each person and moment of the day, but why do I want to take into account the slow insulin, if doing the previous calculation I know that 1 U.I of novorapid, in the morning, I lowers about 30 mgglycemia?

magl's profile photo
magl
12/29/2019 3:14 p.m.

Because ultrarapid insulin only acts for 3 h at most in your body, to try to maintain standardized values, we always need the basal that acts between 24 and 36 h (depending on the slow one you use)

vanessa30's profile photo
vanessa30
01/01/2020 4:48 p.m.

To correct, it is enough to see what a fast unit lowers you.
But do not calculate to get very fair, because it is not always accurate.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
01/01/2020 7:55 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

Thanks for everything.I will tell you how I go.
- In his day, 4 h after breakfast and lunch, when there was no longer the effect of fast insulin, he kept going down the blood glucose and arrived under the next meal.This was repeated with some frequency and I got 2 U.I.Slowly.The descents were fixed.
- Now there is a difference between breakfast and lunch.After breakfast everything is going well, but from 4 hours after loan to dinner he rises progressively and reaches hyper moderate before dinner.It happens to me even up 1 U.I.The slow.

What happens here?
- If I upload the slow one they give me down before lunch and before dinner
- If I get the slow, they don't give me declines, but I got high to dinner (about 200 mg/dl).

magl's profile photo
magl
01/01/2020 11:13 p.m.

Correct doses of one in one unit.Adjust what you can, but avoiding the hypos of the night.
There will always be some moment of the day when stores for hip or hyper .., there are no perfect adjustments.
The most important thing is that glycosilada goes well, and getting a lot to avoid lack of controls.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
01/02/2020 2:12 a.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

magl said:
thanks for everything.I will tell you how I go.
- In his day, 4 h after breakfast and lunch, when there was no longer the effect of fast insulin, he kept going down the blood glucose and arrived under the next meal.This was repeated with some frequency and I got 2 U.I.Slowly.The descents were fixed.
- Now there is a difference between breakfast and lunch.After breakfast everything is going well, but from 4 hours after loan to dinner he rises progressively and reaches hyper moderate before dinner.It happens to me even up 1 U.I.The slow.

What happens here?
- If I upload the slow one they give me down before lunch and before dinner
- If I get the slow, they don't give me declines, but I got high to dinner (about 200 mg/dl).

What happens to you is that your digestion lasts more than the effect of insulin (2,5-3.5 hours), you need to correct with additional units at approximately 3 hours.The type of food, fats and protein also influences you keep up for longer.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
01/02/2020 11:57 a.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

magl said:
I continue with my calculations.This morning I put only a correction bolus (it is a test) to normalize the sugar, and I have not had breakfast.I have measured fasting glucose, at 2 hours and 4 hours:

Making calculations, what 1 fast insulin unit has lowered me is:
(274-150) / 4 U.I. = 31 mg / U.I.
That is, that 5 U.I.It would also have been a good option, because I would have gone down to 120 mg/dl

And, as @erpla said, the insulin dose of the 1st graph was insufficient to correct blood glucose and rations.I did that calculation for the 1800 rule, and I used 50 mg/U.I to determine my dose of insulin.I understand that it is an approximated value and that it varies in each person and moment of the day, but why do I want to take into account the slow insulin, if doing the previous calculation I know that 1 U.I of novorapid, in the morning, I lowers about 30 mgglycemia?

With those starting values, do not put 5 units !!!You will go to Hip in 4 hours.Keep in mind that in the morning we have insulin resistance.It happens to me at about 10:30;Next time tests with 2 units but under the same conditions: time, slow, hormones, etc.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
01/02/2020 12:02 p.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

Another hyperglycemia correction.
I show you a graphic that collects pre and post glycemia 4 days: January 8, 9, 10 and 11

- On days 8, 9 there is a good insulin/carbohydrates ratio

- On the 10th I had a climb, 204 mg/dl, I put on a corrector bolus, and I reached 164 mg/dl.As had already spent 4 hours and my blood glucose had been normalized, I put insulin and had the same as the other days.I trusted myself, but at 3 hours I had hypoglycemia.
I did not understand what happened, until I read a Good article I feel, it is in English) about the problem of using repeated bowling very close to each other, and it is said that 4 hours can be very little time to repeat a bolus, being necessary to know that the effect can last from 5 to 6 hours,And probably residual active insulin has been the reason for hypoglycemia.

- On the 11th, this morning, glycemia repeated and everything was normal again.

magl's profile photo
magl
01/11/2020 4:35 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.