Can intermittent fasting help you reverse diabetes?

pollxander's profile photo   03/17/2020 1:22 a.m.

Dietary restrictions (DR) have been used for thousands of years to clean the body internally and promote good health.They play a central role in many cultures and religions (such as Christianity, Islam and Buddhism).

Fasting, the most extreme form of RD, implies the abstinence of all foods, but not water.Kill damaged cells, puts healthy cells in a protected mode and generates new young cells.Fasting has long been associated with a wide range of health benefits, including better control over blood glucose, weight loss, heart health, brain function and cancer prevention.

Intermittent fasting (IF) is a feeding pattern that alternates between periods of fasting and food.In humans it has been shown that it has beneficial effects on blood glucose levels, insulin and blood pressure.

Prolonged fasting (PF) is an fast that lasts two or more days.When fasting episodes are separated by at least a week from a normal diet (a strategy 2: 7), the PF causes a decrease in glucose and blood insulin levels.In addition, the FP is accompanied by autophagy (the cellular self -limp process that decomposes and recycles the damaged molecules).

A PF 2: 7 diet strategy has a growing reputation between medical and dietitian scientists as a highly effective strategy to protect normal cells and organs from a variety of toxins and serious conditions, such as diabetes, heart disease, high cholesterol and liver problems, while the mortality rate of many types of cancer cells increases.

The problem is that most people find prolonged fasting only with water for two days (48 hours in a row).In addition, its extreme nature could cause adverse health consequences, especially in the elderly and fragile and in people with pre -existing medical conditions.A less severe diet is needed with effects similar to a PF with body.

A diet that simulates fasting (FMD) is a diet that mimics the effects of fasting.The experiments carried out a few years ago discovered that the cycles of an apositional fever that lasted four days in a row of a normal diet could offer similar benefits to those of a PF 2: 7 diet.

One of these studies was published in Cell Metabolism in July 2015. Research was divided into several parts.

Clinical trial on fasting.

In the studio in animals, the mice were fed with a diet restricted for four days twice a month and were allowed to eat as much as they wanted in the middle.

After each cycle of Afitase fever, the mice had lower levels of blood glucose and insulin, and reduced certain inflammation factors, such as the growth factor similar to insulin 1 (IGF-1), which is associated with agingand cancer, compared to mice that have no restrictions.diet.

At 28 months, the mice with aposta fever had also lost weight and had less abdominal fat (which is associated with diabetes) compared to the other mice.In addition, fasting mice had a longer shelf life.

In the essay in humans, 19 subjects underwent a special Afitosa fever for five days every month for three months.Other 19 participants acted as controls that ate their usual diet.

Test subjects followed a very specific diet designed to reduce the risks of fasting but at the same time provide essential nutrients and minimize the psychological difficulties found during fasting.The special diet included soups based on vegetables, energy bars, energy drinks, chamomile tea and aDietary supplement ... Designed to provide 44% fat, 47% carbohydrates and 9% protein.

The first day of the five -day diet were limited to 1,090 calories and then, in the last four days, only 725 calories.Those who were in the Aphyosa fever reduced their blood glucose levels on an empty stomach in an average of 11.3% ... more than a type 2 diabetic would normally experiment using a typical diabetes routine medication.

The study also found that the IGF-1 was reduced by 24% (a plus for cancer prevention) and PCR levels, an inflammation marker, they were also reduced.In addition, people with Afitase fever lost 3% of their weight and reduced their abdominal fat, along with a series of other health benefits.

The general results suggest that partial fasting can help control diabetes.

However, this is only a study that uses only 19 test subjects, and obviously more research is needed to confirm the results ... but it gives reasons to expect the intermittent fasting to revert type 2 diabetes. It is something that I have theintention to try ...

pollxander's profile photo
pollxander
03/17/2020 1:22 a.m.

canal:https://youtube.com/user/tumedicodecabecera?sub_confirmation=1

I have also read a little on the subject, also about low -hydrates food

Nila's profile photo
Nila
03/17/2020 10:49 p.m.

Diabetes desde 03/15
Lantus
MODY 3
HG octubre 2021: 5,7; junio 2021: 6,5; 2020: 6,7; 2019: 6,7. 2018: 6,4

This is also the important dash diet for a diabetic and hypertensive!

pollxander
03/17/2020 11:35 p.m.

Type I diabetes cannot be reversed, for now, in any way.I practice intermittent fasting for quite some time and I assure you that I keep clicking.All the best.

nigiri's profile photo
nigiri
03/18/2020 7:01 p.m.

DM1 desde 1990 - Fiasp y Toujeo - HG: 6,1

nigiri said:
Type I diabetes cannot be reversed, for now, in any way.I practice intermittent fasting for quite some time and I assure you that I keep clicking.All the best.

Yes, I know that nothing reverses !!Maybe type 2 will improve values ​​and can reduce treatment and things like that.

Do you do well to you?I am thinking of doing it because it gives me a lot of anxiety with food especially during working hours, from when I get up until I return home at noon and how I can eat easy 3-4 times, in a relatively short time space andI have read that it greatly reduces anxiety to eat among other things

Nila's profile photo
Nila
05/01/2020 5 p.m.

Diabetes desde 03/15
Lantus
MODY 3

Hi @nila I am doing very well, in my case, in the morning I am just hungry and whenever I had breakfast or took something in the middle of the morning it was more by habit or for that of the five meals a day than for something else, when I startedTo read about the intermittent fasting and to inform myself well, I decided to try and the truth that is phenomenal especially for the issue of insulin resistance, before a unit alone did not do absolutely nothing now there is no color.With the issue of anxiety with food, I don't know how to tell you why I have never had, find out to see.I practice 16 - 8. Greetings.

nigiri's profile photo
nigiri
05/01/2020 8:20 p.m.

Thank you very much for answering, I am !!Reading a little and these days that I still do not come back to work in doing so, especially because on the way back it will be difficult to take something so much at work (there are no spaces to do so), as in cafes and with the heats on top that they will preside

Nila's profile photo
Nila
05/01/2020 8:33 p.m.

Diabetes desde 03/15
Lantus
MODY 3

@nigri I am very glad that you have served the intermittent fasting, and schemes everyone does not work the same, that's why I give a gamma of options to my patients so that they try that and stay with the best or what works for them toThey in particular

pollxander
05/02/2020 3:28 a.m.

Be careful with diets where there are many hours without hydrates by the issue of ketone bodies ... as diabetics it is not a good practice.

marine's profile photo
marine
05/02/2020 11:12 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

@Marine does not enter cetosis and it is good to differentiate between ketosis and ketoacidosis since it is not the same.Diabetics diets that are still giving the endocrine today, in most cases they are absolutely obsolete since the insulins now are not like those of before so it is not necessary to eat x rations of hydrates per day.

nigiri's profile photo
nigiri
05/02/2020 7:05 p.m.

nigiri said:
@marine I do not enter cetosis and anyway it is well to differentiate between ketosis and ketoacidosis since it is not the same.Diabetics diets that are still giving the endocrine today, in most cases they are absolutely obsolete since the insulins now are not like those of before so it is not necessary to eat x rations of hydrates per day.

Diabetic ketoacidosis
Send this page to a friend Print Facebook Twitter Pinterest
Diabetic ketoacidosis (CAD) is a condition that puts life at risk and affects people with diabetes.It occurs when the body begins to break the fat too fast.The liver converts fat into a driver called Cetona that makes the blood acidic.

Causes
CAD is caused when insulin production in the body is so low that:

-The glucose (blood sugar) cannot reach blood cells to be used as a driver.
-The liver manufactures a large amount of blood sugar
- the body breaks down the fat too fast

"Keto" or practically null diets in HC are based on the last point.Advised by dietitian specialized in "Keto" diets advised me directly that as a diabetic he did not use it.

It is one thing to wear a relatively low diet in hydrates and another non -existent.

Hydrates are also necessary for the proper functioning in general of the body and also of the assimilation of insulin in the body.

Intermittent fasting is nothing more than taking advantage of autophagy to eliminate excesses and say the body, this is not bad but to do it you have to do it very well and of course do it if your treatment allows you.

For example I am one of those obsolete as flames that I still use insulin with mixtures (Humalog Mix25, Humalog Mix50, and another without mixing) simply because during all these years it has given me a good result, as my endocrine says if it is going well for you to changeThe treatment.

Greetings,

marine's profile photo
marine
05/02/2020 9:06 p.m.

The intermittent fast does not work to all.
I sometimes do it involuntarily for labor issues and after 9-10 hours without eating, the glucose lowly but makes me rebounded, I go to 250 to nothing that eats, even if it is protein and I have to replenish insulin every 2 hours.I am better for a normal diet of 3 meals every 8 hours, with few fats and controlled hydrates.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
05/04/2020 11:26 a.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

@marine After 30 years being diabetic, I have used different types of insulin and have always given me good results but the comfort of not having to put on my alarm clock to have to prick yes or yes and have to eat yes or yes, personallyIt seems to me an advance.Those who have changed treatment have not been because others were necessarily evilInsulin, that on the one hand.On the other hand, as has already been said on countless occasions in the forum, intermittent fasting or low hydrates diets is not something that all people can perform since each body is a world and each body, given the same,React in a way.I recommend you, if you are interested in the topic that instead of looking in random Google and making a short stick you report well and above all that you keep in mind that no one has talked about a ketogenic diet or keto, we are talking about intermittent fasting.All the best.

nigiri's profile photo
nigiri
05/04/2020 12:06 p.m.

@nigiri
-Proly, this " differentiate between ketosis and ketoacidosis since it is not the same "
-Porate this too .. " the comfort of not having to put my alarm clock to have to prick yes or yes and have to eat yes or yes ,"

Take the treatment you carry, you have to put insulin and such insulin has an effect on the body .... If you eat when you want etc .... then you will tell me.

Really .. Explain it because I don't understand it.

marine's profile photo
marine
05/04/2020 12:28 p.m.

Hi @marine I am not a doctor or health professional but summarizing and for you to understand, ketosis and ketoacidosis are different metabolic processes being the second very serious for health.As I have already told you, if you are interested, look for information and you will find a lot of articles related to the subject and you can understand it perfectly.

Regarding the other doubt that you have and that you want me to clarify, I do not know how many years of evolution your diabetes has, in my case, I am a diabetic since ISo famous threeiba or toujeo and between several types of insulin on which it depended yes or yes, as now, but with a much more strict schedule.
Because of the type of insulin that existed in the past, you had to always prick at the same hours and you always had to eat when you click to avoid hypoglycemia, today, the only insulin that must be put at the same time and even, sinceThere is enough schedule with it is slow insulin, in my case toujeo, and the rapid is something that is used on demand, all this gives you a freedom that we did not have.
I am not telling you that you can live without clicking or that you can eat whenever you want or whatever you want.

I advise you to talk to your educator or educator in diabetes to solve all the doubts you have.All the best.

nigiri's profile photo
nigiri
05/04/2020 5:57 p.m.

nigiri said:
hello @marine I am not a medical or health professional but summarizing and to understand it, ketosis and ketoacidosis are different metabolic processes being the second very serious for health.As I have already told you, if you are interested, look for information and you will find a lot of articles related to the subject and you can understand it perfectly.

Regarding the other doubt that you have and that you want me to clarify, I do not know how many years of evolution your diabetes has, in my case, I am a diabetic since ISo famous threeiba or toujeo and between several types of insulin on which it depended yes or yes, as now, but with a much more strict schedule.
Because of the type of insulin that existed in the past, you had to always prick at the same hours and you always had to eat when you click to avoid hypoglycemia, today, the only insulin that must be put at the same time and even, sinceThere is enough schedule with it is slow insulin, in my case toujeo, and the rapid is something that is used on demand, all this gives you a freedom that we did not have.
I am not telling you that you can live without clicking or that you can eat whenever you want or whatever you want.

I advise you to talk to your educator or educator in diabetes to solve all the doubts you have.All the best.

Hello good,

I wanted to clarify that " ketosis and ketoacidosis are different metabolic processes being the second very serious for health. " because in my view, it is the same.

They produce roughly when the body begins to burn fat as a means of energy instead of hydrates and this generates the so -called ketonic bodies.

Either due to lack of insulin or lack of hydrates you get to the same and I ... I understand it that way.

I debuted with type1 in 2000.

marine's profile photo
marine
05/04/2020 6:13 p.m.

@Marine is one thing you understand and a very different one really.
In ketosis there are effectively ketone bodies but these are naturally eliminated by the body.
When these ketone bodies are accumulated in the body and cannot be eliminated by a metabolic problem, such as poorly controlled diabetes, then ketoacidosis occurs and here is when there is a serious problem because you can fail different organs and even arriveTo death, so, as you will understand, they are different processes, in both there are ketone bodies, yes, but they are not the same as much as from your point of view it is.

For my part, the subject is settled.Honestly, if you had a real interest in informing yourself and wanting to know what you are talking about, you would look for medical and scientific information, which today can easily be found online and learn from it.

All the best.

nigiri's profile photo
nigiri
05/04/2020 6:46 p.m.

I am doing intermittent fasting for 7 months 16/8 usually.I have type 2 diabetes for about 20 years.I am also making very low diet in hydrates following the recommendations of Dr Bernstein for almost two years.The low hydrates diet was a change in tendency towards the control of blood sugar and has a glycemic index of 5.9 with 26 toujeo, 3 metformin and 1 of efficib per day .. but continued with physical symptoms of syndromeMetabolic
I started with the intermittent fasting to see if I managed to reverse diabetes.Toujeo down to 16 and eliminate the efficib at the beginning of the intermittent fasting.And there I continue after these months, I do not decide to lower the toujeo more since the glucose measures usually have between 100 and 120 do not approach the ideal 85.
That if visceral fat from the beginning decreased a lot with AI but I can't eliminate insulin when insulin resistance is the true origin of diabetes 2.
The medication reduction process does not appear in any manual or book tell you that you talk to your doctor and I can't count on my doctor who only looks at the glymic index and does not want to hear about insulin reduction.
I do not know if someone knows any resource with practical indications about the reduction/elimination of insulin. Injected or has experience in this regard.

mborque's profile photo
mborque
05/05/2020 12:49 p.m.

Hi @mborque, type II diabetes is a chronic disease and is usually inherited and in a few cases you can do without medication.By this I want to tell you that insulin resistance is not the only origin of this disease, surely your pancreas does not work 100% and that is why you still need insulin.All the best.

nigiri's profile photo
nigiri
05/05/2020 2:23 p.m.

mborque said:
I am doing intermittent fasting for 7 months 16/8 usually.I have type 2 diabetes for about 20 years.I am also making very low diet in hydrates following the recommendations of Dr Bernstein for almost two years.The low hydrates diet was a change in tendency towards the control of blood sugar and has a glycemic index of 5.9 with 26 toujeo, 3 metformin and 1 of efficib per day .. but continued with physical symptoms of syndromeMetabolic
I started with the intermittent fasting to see if I managed to reverse diabetes.Toujeo down to 16 and eliminate the efficib at the beginning of the intermittent fasting.And there I continue after these months, I do not decide to lower the toujeo more since the glucose measures usually have between 100 and 120 do not approach the ideal 85.
That if visceral fat from the beginning decreased a lot with AI but I can't eliminate insulin when insulin resistance is the true origin of diabetes 2.
The medication reduction process does not appear in any manual or book tell you that you talk to your doctor and I can't count on my doctor who only looks at the glymic index and does not want to hear about insulin reduction.
I do not know if someone knows any resource with practical indications about the reduction/elimination of insulin.

Exercise, you will increase your sensitivity and you will lower your medication.

marine's profile photo
marine
05/05/2020 2:25 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.