{'en': 'Is it possible that the coronavirus also triggers diabetes?', 'es': '¿Es posible que el coronavirus también desencadene diabetes?'} Image

Is it possible that the coronavirus also triggers diabetes?

fer's profile photo   10/16/2020 11:56 a.m.

Finn Gnadt is an 18 -year -old student from Kiel, Germany, who in April was, for a test, suffering from an infection of the new coronavirus.As Covid-19 symptoms did not develop, after quarantine he followed his life without worrying.However, a few days later he began to feel unusual fatigue and a constant thirst.His doctor, Tim Hollstein, of the Schleswig-Holstein University Hospital, determined what seemed unlikely for someone young and healthy: he had type 1 diabetes.

Since the only anomalous in its recent history had been the SARS-COV-2, the doctor considered that the sudden appearance of diabetes could be linked to the infection, according to Nature at the end of June.Most people develop type 1 diabetes because their immune system attacks their own beta cells in the pancreas, those responsible for producing insulin.In the case of Gnadt, Hollstein suspected, the Coronavirus had been responsible for destroying them.

His perception found other elements to expand his base: at the beginning of June several cases of people who had reached hospitals had been accumulated with a strange combination of Covid-19 symptoms and high levels of sugar and blood ketone bodies, typical signs, typical signalsof diabetes.At that time several experts from Europe, the United States, Australia and Asia published a letter in the New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM):

"There is a bidirectional relationship between COVID-19 and diabetes," they said.“On the one hand, diabetes is associated with a higher risk of severe COVID-19.On the other hand, in patients of COVID-19, both diabetes and several serious metabolic complications in pre-existing diabetes have been observed, including diabetic ketoacidosis and hyperosmolarity, which require exceptionally high doses of insulin. ”

One of the main signatories of that letter, Francesco Rubino, researcher at King's College, London, began to gather the data he saw in his practice, in the United Kingdom, with those of other colleagues in China, Italy and other places very affected by thebeginning of pandemic.And what he found was beyond the normal spectrum by which an infection can be expected to stress the human body to the point of making blood sugar levels rise.

"What we saw was a bit different," he told Wired now to explain the global data effort that is being made in order to better understand the strange double relationship between COVID-19 and diabetes.

The first enigma they found was a strange combination in the two usual, but different ways, in which the disease is presented.On the one hand, people with type 1 diabetes suffer a kind of betrayal of their immune system, which destroys perfectly healthy cells of the pancreas.On the other, people with type 2 diabetes become slowly resistant to insulin that their body produces."Rubino and his colleagues observed characteristics of both types that arose spontaneously in Covid-19 patients," summarized the publication.

In search of an explanation, the researcher and his colleagues began by observing the angiotensin 2, ECA2, a very distributed molecule in the body - is in the respiratory tract and also in several organs of the digestive tract, which participate in the controlBlood sugar-which works as a gateway to the SARS-COV-2 to human cells.They found, for example, that one in 10 COVID-19 patients suffers gastrointestinal symptoms.

The next step was to verify if, once the infection of the coronavirus was resolved, the problems of the glycemia regulation disappeared in turn.The data, as organized, failed to offer a unique response.In some recovered patients, diabetes hadpersisted;Others in others, the manifestations had improved.

"We could not address those questions only with those reports of anecdotal cases that were published," Rubino argued to Wired.That is why he and an international group of his colleagues created a file to track information on diabetes linked to coronavirus on a global scale: the Covidiab Registry.

There the doctors of the entire world who want to participate upload anonymized data on their patients with abnormal blood sugar levels: age, sex, medical history.And, of course, the characteristics of your experience with the SARS-COV-2: if they required intensive care or a respirator, for example, or what medications were administered.

“The objective of this information collection effort is to tote the scale and scope of the problem, and also try possible solutions.How often COVID-19 is associated with the emergence of diabetes?And what kind of disease is presented, type 1 or type 2?Or a new way?What exactly is what causes metabolic malfunction?How long do these cases of diabetes last, and what are the best ways to treat them? ”Summary the magazine some of the central objectives of the initiative.

“It could spend a lot of time before there is sufficient data to answer questions about prevalence and mechanism.But Rubino believes that he could have information on what types of diabetes develop more frequently in COVID-19 patients and what could predispose people to this particular complication of Coronavirus by the end of the year, ”said the article.And that is undoubtedly something of great importance given the way in which diabetes affects people in the long term.

The database operates since June.Since then, more than 275 doctors in the world have requested access to share data from at least one patient who meets the criteria.Evaluate each case that could be accepted takes time;It also demands it to comply with the data protection laws that exist in several countries, including those of the European Union.But the material that currently exists in the Covidiab Registry is enough for Rubino and his colleagues to have reached a preliminary conclusion: it is not an anecdotal issue.

"According to what we have seen so far, diabetes linked to COVID-19 may not be a prevalent problem in most people, but we do know that it is a possibility," he said.Even if it is not common, it is a statistically relevant trend.

On the other hand, it is important that COVID-19 patients know if the pathogen alters their ability to maintain normal blood glucose levels since diabetes is a disease that can be easily handled as long as it is not ignored.It matters to be attentive, Rubino said, although without alarming himself.If someone who has been recently diagnosed with the SARS-COV-2 Note that needs to urinate more frequently than usual or feel fatigued even after having recovered from other symptoms, such as fever, cough and loss of smell, might considerThe possibility of becoming a blood analysis.

Rubino and his colleagues hope to maintain this database during the years to come, to investigate the relationship of the coronavirus with long -term diabetes and confirm properly if it is something passenger, more or less lasting or permanent.Also if there can be more strange situations, such as that infection does not cause diabetes immediately but damages the tissues that participate in metabolism in such a way that it will increase the risk of someone developing the disease in the future.

"We are looking to establish if the COVID-19 leaves bequeathed," Rubino said."With the registration we hope to look to the future, not only at present."

DadaistThe enormous amount of questions that the SARS-COV-2 still presents, the Covidiab Registry adds to other data to compilation of data from the link between the coronavirus and other paintings, including inflammatory intestinal disease, chronic liver disease,rheumatic disorders and heart complications.

fer's profile photo
fer
10/16/2020 11:56 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

@hoopdiabetes in case you want to do a good investigation, this is what I talk about.I am convinced that I am one of those cases.

smartinez's profile photo
smartinez
06/01/2021 5:57 p.m.

Diabetes LADA desde febrero 2021
Última glico 6,1 el 23/11/23
Toujeo 10 ud

@Se has known for many years that there is viruses, such as Coxackie, which trigger diabetes, because the immune response acts erroneously.In the case of my daughter, it was that virus, although a genetic predisposition is also needed.
So I am not surprised that this coronavirus can also cause it.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
06/02/2021 12:43 a.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

regina said:
@It has known for many years that there is viruses, such as Coxackie, which trigger diabetes, because the immune response acts erroneously.In the case of my daughter, it was that virus, although a genetic predisposition is also needed.
So I am not surprising anything that this coronavirus can also cause it.
regina said:
@It has been known for many years that there is viruses, such as Coxackie, which trigger diabetes, because the immune response acts erroneously.In the case of my daughter, it was that virus, although a genetic predisposition is also needed.
So I am not surprising anything that this coronavirus can also cause it.

Thanks for your answer.If I had a predisposition since with my first daughter I had gestational diabetes (I was in the right limits), with the second no, something that I do not understand.Surely I would be TB diabetic in the future, but Covid has advanced it to me

smartinez
06/02/2021 10:53 a.m.

Toujeo 10 ud

@Smartinez, I don't know if you can demonstrate the cause one day, but it is not worth asking why.
In children diabetes usually occurs as type1, but it is not your case, that you do not need insulin.
What I always expected is that vaccines will be found for that type of virus and many future diabetes could be avoided.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
06/02/2021 4:53 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)

I have also asked myself many times, since in my family we do not even know someone who has diabetes even if it is type 2 ... and I am convinced that it was also for the Coxackie virus present in the famous mouth-beautiful-pies thatHe had weeks before ...

In Finland that it is one of the countries of greatest incidence in DM1 they were in vaccine development if they did not take them out, for this virus and a type of streptococcKnow the reason indicates that it may be due to environmental phenomena because here you can enter everything ...

Pepeluis77's profile photo
Pepeluis77
06/03/2021 11:49 a.m.

Hijo 3 años DM1

I have also thought about it.

JorgeDavid's profile photo
JorgeDavid
06/03/2021 3:34 p.m.

Debut prediabetes tipo 2 el 3-3-2021 con 37 años.
Glucosa 109
Glicosilada 4.9

regina said:
@smartinez, I don't know if the cause can be demonstrated one day, but it is not worth asking why.
In children diabetes usually occurs as type1, but it is not your case, that you do not need insulin.
What I always expected is that vaccines will be found for that type of virus and many future diabetes could be avoided.

It is true that you don't have to look for a reason but mine is being so rare that I can't help it.I do not understand how I can be without pills or anything and with levels of prediabetes after the climb that gave me so great and that is why I investigate and ask, I do not think it is due only to the diet that I am doing.Anyway, I know that I am a bit heavy with the subject, hahaha.

smartinez
06/04/2021 10:11 a.m.

Toujeo 10 ud

smartinez said:
regina said:
@smartinez, I don't know if you can demonstrate the cause one day, but it is not worth asking why.

It is true that you don't have to look for a reason but mine is being so rare that I can't help it.I do not understand how I can be without pills or anything and with levels of prediabetes after the climb that gave me so great and that is why I investigate and ask, I do not think it is due only to the diet that I am doing.Anyway, I know that I am a bit heavy with the subject, hahaha.

The diet is fundamental.I think I remember that I have read you before (if not, you correct me) saying that you ate sweets, pastries, chocolate ...
If your pancreas does not go well at all is not able to assimilate that diet.However, if you are eating well and moving, do not give you great job and with what works you keep stable.

isabelbota's profile photo
isabelbota
06/04/2021 10:30 a.m.

DM 2 con páncreas agotado desde diciembre 2020. 51 años entonces.
HG diciembre 2020: 15.9. Última HG: julio 2024 5.8
Abasaglar 9 unidades. Metformina, 1000/0/1000. Humalog junior: 2 unid en desayuno y luego en función de lo que coma.

Isabelbota said:
smartinez said:
regina said:
regina said:
@smartinez, I do not know if the cause can be demonstratedSomeday, but it is not worth asking why.

The diet is fundamental.I think I remember that I have read you before (if not, you correct me) saying that you ate sweets, pastries, chocolate ...
If your pancreas does not go well at all is not able to assimilate that diet.However, if you are eating well and moving, do not give you great job and with what works you keep stable.

Yes, that is, I ate fatal and I didn't take care of anything and I have left all that completely, 0 sugar and very few carbohydrates, minimum.It is clear that I am diabetic because if I neglect just taking some normal bread in the morning the levels are fired and at the time I can reach 230. I do not know, I think it is inevitable to turn the head, sometimes I think noI have nothing and that with diet I will be able to be like this, and other times I think it is a matter of time to need insulin.

smartinez
06/04/2021 10:50 a.m.

Toujeo 10 ud

@Smartinez, I don't know if you have been done antibody analysis, surely that clarifies the diagnosis.
But nobody knows what you can be well controlled only with diet.Maybe, all life.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
06/04/2021 2:12 p.m.

regina said:
@smartinez, I don't know if you have done antibody analysis, surely that clarifies the diagnosis.
But nobody knows what you can be well controlled only with diet.Maybe, all life.

If they have made them and I have given negative

smartinez
06/04/2021 4:09 p.m.

Toujeo 10 ud

@Smartinez
I don't think you're lada.If you don't have antibodies you are not lada.
A lada is not maintained without treatment.
You are like me, a person with very low pancreatic reserve.It also coincides that we have both fed badly in the past, with what we have exhausted the pancreas.
The pancreas can be destroyed by antibodies or misuse.I have already assumed the second.
What happens that endocrine is very rare to find thin and relatively young people with the pancreas exhausted.But I'm afraid it is.Type 2.

isabelbota
06/04/2021 9:43 p.m.

Abasaglar 9 unidades. Metformina, 1000/0/1000. Humalog junior: 2 unid en desayuno y luego en función de lo que coma.

Isabelbota said:
@smartinez
I don't think you're lada.If you don't have antibodies you are not lada.
A lada is not maintained without treatment.
You are like me, a person with very low pancreatic reserve.It also coincides that we have both fed badly in the past, with what we have exhausted the pancreas.
The pancreas can be destroyed by antibodies or misuse.I have already assumed the second.
What happens that endocrine is very rare to find thin and relatively young people with the pancreas exhausted.But I'm afraid it is.Type 2.

I hope it's like that.

smartinez
06/04/2021 11:04 p.m.

Toujeo 10 ud

@Smartinez was seeing that in my analytics it puts anti gad65 8.3u/ml and more to the side as a reference value put in parenthesis (less than 30) did that study did to you?What would mean that he gave me 8.3 ??It is that the doctor of that tells me anything.

saitam's profile photo
saitam
06/04/2021 11:28 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Hello Matías.I caught you here ...
Antibodies in principle appear in type 1 or lads diabetics.But it is cases there are also a very high glycosylated that you do not have.That is why we have told you to be calm.Forget about the topic until review, for your mental health above all.😂😂😂
Quiet that everything will be seen.But for now almost the whole forum would change our results for yours.Don't be overwhelmed ...

isabelbota
06/04/2021 11:53 p.m.

@isabelbota yes here I keep reading, you can imagine that I can't even sleep.Thanks for the animals and I hope it is nothing.

saitam's profile photo
saitam
06/05/2021 12:20 a.m.

Saitam said:
@smartinez I was seeing that in my analytics it puts anti gad65 8.3u/ml and more to the side as a reference value put in parenthesis (less than 30)that study ??What would mean that he gave me 8.3 ??Is that the doctor of that I am not talking to me.

They gave me the negative antibodies.I'm going to see if I look for my analytics and I send it to you.

smartinez
06/05/2021 12:45 a.m.

Toujeo 10 ud

Saitam said:
@Isabelbota yes here I keep reading, you can imagine that I can't even sleep.Thanks for the animals and I hope it is nothing.

Hi Saitam I am more or less like you on an empty stomach 102 .99.97.117 Those after eating all perfect coma that eats already Japanese yesterday potato salad and wings 2 hour to 93. glycosada to 5.6
The difference that I have not done any more proof.If you control the dinner a lot if I spend the most that has given me 111.
The truth is that I do not recommend that you go to another endroquino I went paying and put a body k came out crying from the consultation.
Now I take it calmly since here in Jaén there is a waiting list of the endroquin of two and a half years.And that is why they have referred me to internal medicine but that we are patient that at least here the thing goes calmly.What we have to be clear about is that we have to change habits and start taking care of ourselves.

loli23's profile photo
loli23
06/05/2021 1:08 p.m.

@loli23 is true these as I died less, within the normal parameters, always hovering above and that is what moving me, the truth is that I never spend more than 115. I have no meter so I don't know how much I will give afterEating, but analyzing the curve when they did it, I arrive on an empty stomach with 98, take the glucose and at the time di 120 and at two hours I had dropped to 66 🤷🤷🤷 I do not know if this is correct and mean that when I ingest the sugar my insulinIt acts for that reason.
I have already begun habits, it will be difficult but even get used to it.
Here in Mallorca for the public I have no idea that they will be taking, for the private yesterday I will take over on Monday, why I would really like to hear another opinion.

saitam's profile photo
saitam
06/05/2021 5:54 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.