{'en': 'Metformin ... does it cause diarrhea?', 'es': 'La metformina... ¿provoca diarrea?'} Image

Metformin ... does it cause diarrhea?

JorgeDavid's profile photo   06/03/2021 3:42 p.m.

Hello!

I wanted to know if metformin, at first causes diarrhea?

I have been told that I have to start taking ... and have I heard that it causes them very strong?

Thank you.

JorgeDavid's profile photo
JorgeDavid
06/03/2021 3:42 p.m.

Debut prediabetes tipo 2 el 3-3-2021 con 37 años.
Glucosa 109
Glicosilada 4.9

It depends on each person.
I started taking it one night and the next morning I got up with diarrhea.And then never again.
Once at night I have taken nuts after metformin (error!) And I have been indigestible, I have spent bad night and then I got up with diarrhea.But except those cases, nothing.
Other people say the first days, but then the body gets used to it.
Do not be afraid of metformin that if you tolerate it well, as is my case, it is nothing.

isabelbota's profile photo
isabelbota
06/03/2021 4:04 p.m.

DM 2 con páncreas agotado desde diciembre 2020. 51 años entonces.
HG diciembre 2020: 15.9. Última HG: julio 2024 5.8
Abasaglar 9 unidades. Metformina, 1000/0/1000. Humalog junior: 2 unid en desayuno y luego en función de lo que coma.

I am afraid that I get the sugar too much and I fear side effects.

JorgeDavid
06/03/2021 5:54 p.m.

Glucosa 109
Glicosilada 4.9

No...
Metformin does not fall, it is not hypoglycemic.What it does are 3 things: it increases insulin sensitivity, decreases the absorption of hydrates preventing part from rising to the bloodstream and decreases the release of glucose in the liver.All this decreases glucose increases but it will not give you a downturn as insulin can give.
Regarding the side effects, what I have told you.Like any medicine, there are people who do not tolerate it and if it happens you will change it to you for something else, people with side effects at the beginning, and people almost without side effects or none.
It helps not to upload, I have noticed it.Some night I have forgotten and the next day breakfast has risen more than normal.
Don't worry, you'll see.And when you start taking it you tell me.

isabelbota
06/03/2021 6:17 p.m.

Abasaglar 9 unidades. Metformina, 1000/0/1000. Humalog junior: 2 unid en desayuno y luego en función de lo que coma.

By the way.Seeing your glycosilada and the specific value of 109 on an empty stomach, I don't see diabetes values, really.A punctual day you can have 109 on an empty stomach, a tall tad, but with that glycosilada, I do not understand.
How have you diagnosed prediabetes and medication?

isabelbota
06/03/2021 6:22 p.m.

Good question !!I was thinking the same

jldiazdel's profile photo
jldiazdel
06/03/2021 6:28 p.m.

DM1 desde Marzo 2018 (53 años). 7-10 unidades basal: Abasaglar (insulina glargina). NovoRapid. Factor 1.0/1.5.
Vivo en Alemania. CarboH total dia 70-80 gr. Deporte Gym todos dias L-V 1h-2 h
HbA1c 5,5% (Abril 2022)
Dexcom G6

Metformin does not cause hypoglycemia, and at the beginning the reduced dose is taken so that the body is adapting and normally in a week or two the side effects disappear.If you can cause diarrhea, but as much as very strong, I don't think ... and I have been taking it for three years

Alberto_13's profile photo
Alberto_13
06/03/2021 7:04 p.m.

DM3c desde 2018; hb 6 % (feb.. 2022) (tresiba+fiasp+metformina)

I did not give me diarrhea, but if I took my appetite for a week or so until the body got used to it.I didn't feel like eating anything.I've been taking it about 8 or 9 years old, and all good

idirak's profile photo
idirak
06/03/2021 8:09 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Yes, with these levels they tell me that it is prediabetes.

JorgeDavid
06/06/2021 12:12 a.m.

Glucosa 109
Glicosilada 4.9

jorgedavid said:
yes, with these levels they tell me that it is prediabetes.

Well, I don't understand it, really.That glycosilada is manual, very very low, at all diabetic, to see what the compas of the forum thinks.
And how was the subject?Analytical by chance or did you have any symptoms?I suppose no, with that glycosilada ...
I am hallucinated that they tell you that you are prediabetic with those values ​​...
If you can tell me something else to understand it ...

isabelbota
06/06/2021 7:26 a.m.

@Jorgedavid, are you overweight?

Alberto_13
06/06/2021 10:24 a.m.

No ... weight 64 kg

JorgeDavid
06/12/2021 12:36 a.m.

Glucosa 109
Glicosilada 4.9

Well, I don't understand anything.
What reasons give you to be prediabetic?

isabelbota
06/12/2021 7:01 a.m.

I either because if I had overweight ...

Alberto_13
06/12/2021 9:43 a.m.

alberto_13 said:
either because if I was overweight ...

@Jorgedavid
And nothing, that does not explain it to us ... 😂😂😂

isabelbota
06/12/2021 8:23 p.m.

Yeah.In fact it is a medicine that there are people who do not tolerate.You can give headaches, dizziness, gut pain and diarrhea.
When my endo prescribed it, he gave me the key to incorporating it little by little.
I started the first week with a half 850gr pill at meals.
The first day next to the bathroom.And in fact I lost weight.
The second week, I already took the full pill.
The third 1 at food and a half at dinner.
And finally in the fourth week, I already took the two full pills.0-1-1
It does not cause hypos.On the contrary.
A natural metformin is Berber.I also take it, and the moringa.They are plants that have been very good for me.
I also inject Apidra and Tresiba (it is the best slow) the Lantus gave me hypos in the morning.And the Tougeo did nothing to me, I had to inject many more units than with other brands.I don't know why.It was my particular case.
We are all different, so it is so important to share our experiences - it finally and eat few hydrates.From few to very few.

Carito's profile photo
Carito
06/13/2021 10:57 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

carito said:
yes.In fact it is a medicine that there are people who do not tolerate.You can give headaches, dizziness, gut pain and diarrhea.
When my endo prescribed it, he gave me the key to incorporating it little by little.
I started the first week with a half 850gr pill at meals.
The first day next to the bathroom.And in fact I lost weight.
The second week, I already took the full pill.
The third 1 at food and a half at dinner.
And finally in the fourth week, I already took the two full pills.0-1-1
It does not cause hypos.On the contrary.
A natural metformin is Berber.I also take it, and the moringa.They are plants that have been very good for me.
I also inject Apidra and Tresiba (it is the best slow) the Lantus gave me hypos in the morning.And the Tougeo did nothing to me, I had to inject many more units than with other brands.I don't know why.It was my particular case.
We are all different, so it is so important to share our experiences - it finally and eat few hydrates.From few to very few.

Have you tried the Berber?

Alberto_13
06/13/2021 1:53 p.m.

I explain ... they tell me that in the last analytics I always get 108 or 110 ... the last 100 and therefore, they tell me that I am prediabetic and I do not understand either, I have lost 12 kilos in 3 months and theGlucose tests are always over 90 or 94 ... and for the doctor I consist as prediabetic ... They tell me that "I do to the idea" but with these levels. I would accept the disease, but with those levels ...In 3 weeks I have another analytics ... and will tell me more. What do you think?

JorgeDavid
06/13/2021 4:50 p.m.

Glucosa 109
Glicosilada 4.9

@Jorgedavid

Well, don't worry.I would sign it, and I know some pre -diabetic that would be delighted.

Eat healthy, varied, do sports and enjoy life.Don't worry.At the moment your possible diabetes is very distant.But try not to abuse sugars and that's it.

Do not enter more in this forum, and avoid obsessing.You have no diabetes.Leave the forum and relax.Get on vacation.Do sports, whatever.But if I were you, I would leave this forum.I really say it.

If your endocrine or doctor does not convince you, change doctor.

Greetings and enjoy summer

jldiazdel's profile photo
jldiazdel
06/13/2021 5:39 p.m.

DM1 desde Marzo 2018 (53 años). 7-10 unidades basal: Abasaglar (insulina glargina). NovoRapid. Factor 1.0/1.5.
Vivo en Alemania. CarboH total dia 70-80 gr. Deporte Gym todos dias L-V 1h-2 h
HbA1c 5,5% (Abril 2022)
Dexcom G6

jorgedavid said:
I explain ... they tell me that in the last analytics I always get 108 or 110 ... the last 100 and therefore, they tell me that I am prediabetic and II understand either, I have lost 12 kilos in 3 months and glucose tests are always over 90 or 94 ... and for the doctor I consist as prediabetic ... They tell me that "I do to the idea" but with these levelsI would accept the disease, but with those levels ... in 3 weeks I have another analytical ... and will tell me more. What do you think?

In your case I would ask for a second opinion.You have very good values, totally non -diabetic person.To take care of yourself is always good, but in your case not due to illness at all.
Really if they are diagnosing you badly they can cause you a head problem without any need.And with your values ​​and without overweight there is no reason to think that you are prediabetic.
But of course, you will stay calm when a doctor tells you.Change doctor, to see another and you will forget about the bad times you are going through without need.
And please, when they tell you that you have nothing you tell us so that you congratulate you and forget about the forum, as Jldiazdel says.
Quiet, really, you're great.😘

isabelbota
06/13/2021 10:56 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.