Free Style - Help control diabetes?

Claudio Alfonso Casetta's profile photo   09/23/2021 5:07 p.m.

Hello,

I am 66 years old and I am a diabetic of more than 12 years.Over the time I went from the pills (metformin) to insulin injections.What worries me is that I need more and more units to keep me in less than 140. I currently put 44 units of taujeo insulin, and sometimes I am not within the desired value.Now that I am in pension, I am more concerned with the fact that I do not burn calories as before, and in theory I would have to increase the units.I am controlled every 6 months by the Hospital Diabetology Unit, and the control would be in December.As it seems to me that it would help me to see the variations of blood glucose during the day (and therefore to regulate food ingestion), I was thinking of trying to control the diabet with a device that many know that is called Free Style.I would like to feel the opinion of those who use it, and see if it really is useful to me.All the best.Claudio

Claudio Alfonso Casetta's profile photo
Claudio Alfonso Casetta
09/23/2021 5:07 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Hello.Yes it is very useful.It helps you know how your body reacts to the various foods.It is the only way to know for sure what foods they upload more or less in sugar, and how they interfere with each other (the fats, for example, make the sugar late to climb).I learned a lot with free freestyle, and now I couldn't live without him.You can try, if you don't like it, then nothing.

Carussa's profile photo
Carussa
09/23/2021 5:35 p.m.

DM1 desde octubre de 2019 | Toujeo + Fiasp | FreeStyle | febrero 2023: HbA1c 5,7

I am also an insulin -dependent type and I bought the free.The information that gives me worth it, although sometimes it is not very accurate.
Of course, sometimes discover things we don't expect ...
For example, measure yourself every day at two hours of eating with glucometer and finding yourself about 140 .... ok
And then the Free teaches you that you have previously been in 200/220 ...
As Carussa says you learn a lot.
Then the alarms ...
If you can pay it is an investment ...

isabelbota's profile photo
isabelbota
09/24/2021 12:04 a.m.

DM 2 con páncreas agotado desde diciembre 2020. 51 años entonces.
HG diciembre 2020: 15.9. Última HG: julio 2024 5.8
Abasaglar 9 unidades. Metformina, 1000/0/1000. Humalog junior: 2 unid en desayuno y luego en función de lo que coma.

Hi, Carussa and Isabel Bota:
The question is because the pharmaceutical where I went to find out as it was not necessary, as it would not be very useful, so you comment, and as I supposed, in addition to the possible variations of precision, what I was most interested in isKnow what are the foods that make me up glucose, how much and when.And that can only be known by controlling values ​​throughout the day.
Thank you very much for the canning of you. I propose it to the doctor to use it.If I don't prescribe it, I buy it: investing in health is always a good business.
All the best

Claudio Alfonso Casetta
09/25/2021 12:44 p.m.

Claudio Alfonso Casetta said:
The question is because the pharmaceutical where I went to find out as it was not necessary, as it would not be very useful, so you comment, and as I supposed, in addition to the possible variations of precision, what I was most interested in isKnow what are the foods that make me up glucose, how much and when.And that can only be known by controlling values ​​throughout the day.
Thank you very much for the canning of you. I propose it to the doctor to use it.If I don't prescribe it, I buy it: investing in health is always a good business.
GREETING

It is not that it is not necessary or useful, that it is, but while for type 1, it has become an essential tool, for the type perhaps not, for the 1 it is financed and for the 2 no

meginer's profile photo
meginer
09/25/2021 1:21 p.m.

It is not essential, but it helps.

Anaisabel's profile photo
Anaisabel
09/25/2021 2:31 p.m.

meginer said:
GREETING

It is not that it is not necessary or useful, that it is, but while for type 1, it has become an essential tool, for the type perhaps not, for the 1 it is financed and for the 2 not

In the end, what I see is that the difference is not if you are type 1 or 2, but of pills or insulin -dependent.
It is equally necessary if the pancreas does not work for antibodies or for any other reason.

isabelbota's profile photo
isabelbota
09/25/2021 8:01 p.m.

DM 2 con páncreas agotado desde diciembre 2020. 51 años entonces.
HG diciembre 2020: 15.9. Última HG: julio 2024 5.8
Abasaglar 9 unidades. Metformina, 1000/0/1000. Humalog junior: 2 unid en desayuno y luego en función de lo que coma.

Isabelbota said:
meginer said:
Hi, Carussa and Isabel Boot:
GREETING

It is not that it is not necessary or useful, that it is, but while for type 1, it has become an essential tool, for the type perhaps not, for the 1 it is financed and for the 2 not

In the end, what I see is that the difference is not if you are type 1 or 2, but of pills or insulin -dependent.
It is equally necessary if the pancreas does not work for antibodies or for any other reason.

I totally agree on the dependent insulin

Alberto_13's profile photo
Alberto_13
09/25/2021 9:32 p.m.

DM3c desde 2018; hb 6 % (feb.. 2022) (tresiba+fiasp+metformina)

Hello!I only used 1 sensor, the one I have since it runs out tomorrow.They do not give me at the moment in the SS.I had an appointment with the endocrine and he told me what the most I let me know the figures of the variation, we already know that I have variation for the symptoms, the figure does not matter.It seemed an unacceptable answer.I called to tell her and tell me that pathological is only below 40 for not diabetics (this is new, I had not told it because it was this Thursday) the case ... I don't care, I find myself as the P *** C***.CONCLUSION (Thanks to the help of the people of this forum): I will continue using free 2, alarm to 80 (I downloaded nothing) to react.Experiment: Alarm and not do it.Paying attention to there are no whim, without paying attention, guaranteed downturn.But without whim I am fine and with ups and downs I am fatal all day, as if I was with a brutal drunkenness.I also see how foods influence me, what meals can they endure more, what meals they upload to me more, how much exercise I can do without extra contribution and when I need more contribution ... Free is for me extraordinary help.When I can afford it, I will buy it.I am not a diabetic but they tell me that I will be soon (almost all the pancreas took me).Sorry for the Tostón, I hope to help.Courage and greetings !!

Magucha's profile photo
Magucha
09/26/2021 2:22 p.m.

I decided to take it off in mid -August and this week the educator told me that if one day I loved him again.
Soon I have the analytics and we will see the glyd as it is.
At the moment I feel just as good that I have always been and happy to recover the sensations that with the sensor had lost.
I guess not everyone works as well as good thing

vanessa30's profile photo
vanessa30
09/26/2021 10:17 p.m.

You will tell us

jldiazdel's profile photo
jldiazdel
09/27/2021 12:37 p.m.

DM1 desde Marzo 2018 (53 años). 7-10 unidades basal: Abasaglar (insulina glargina). NovoRapid. Factor 1.0/1.5.
Vivo en Alemania. CarboH total dia 70-80 gr. Deporte Gym todos dias L-V 1h-2 h
HbA1c 5,5% (Abril 2022)
Dexcom G6

The ABBOTT sensor like any other sensor is not essential, capillary control is there, but it helps to get to know and be treated.
It is not as exact as it should but when one is already known in its entire spectrum (lifestyle, sport, hormones, stress, viruses, ...) the exact numerical value goes to the background and one more is fixed in the"Magnitude range" and the trend arrow
I explain myself:
If a person knows well and knows that between 160-200mg/dl he needs 2 units to go down to 90-125 and the trend arrow says stable or uploaded slightly, it does not matter if the sensor sends data to 165, 189 or 178.The corrective units will be put.

That is why the endocrine, do not give so important to the exact numerical value, what should worry them most is if we know each other well, as we corrected or act before any glycemic event, if our blood glucose variability is below 35% and glycosylated hemoglobinor gly this between 4 and 7.

I have paid it 4 years and it has been financed by public health.I look at the magnitude ranges, not in the exact values ​​for years.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
09/27/2021 1:55 p.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

It is good to see trends and avoid peaks and hypos.But you can't leave the capillary, at least four times a day, wake up, go to bed and before meals, yes, it gives peace of mind with a very active life.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
09/27/2021 2:15 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

Hello good,

I am DM 1 and since I was diagnosed I use the freestyle sensor.It seems to me that it is a very useful device to develop a healthy daily life.Since I carry it, my relatives can enter my measurement of measure from their own phones.In addition, I assure that the control of my diabetes is stable, since I can observe how my body reacts to certain foods and before certain physical exercises.Also, I only test capillary once a day, which is much more comfortable.

Add that, another of the things that seem good to the sensor is that by monitoring your glucose levels when you are sleeping at night, it allows you to observe any type of alteration that you can later consult with your endocrine.

Finally, in terms of physical exercise that helps us to be more sensitive to insulin and, therefore, injected less units, the sensor is key, because during training you can notify you of any hypo and give us data that are essential that are essentialTo understand how your body and your diabetes work.Think that the more information we have, the better we will control our diabetes, and new technologies are our friends.

Greetings,

Eugeni96's profile photo
Eugeni96
09/28/2021 6:15 p.m.

DM 1 desde los 24 años.
A1C/Hemo: 5,7% (39 mmol/mol)

Eugeni96, thanks for your comment.Now I am convinced that it is really worth using it.
All the best

Claudio

Claudio Alfonso Casetta
09/29/2021 2:26 p.m.

Here where I am, there are already several DM2 to those who have given the fsyle the ss people who were punctured more than 3/4 times a day due to the rises and descents of the sugar, everything depends on your doctor (endocrine), precisely II think ask for it on my next visit because I arrive and pass this Cantidat de Tomas and I have the fingers made a kaka, by the way while in the pharmacies there are a paston, at 60 km we have France and there some partners buy them.Force, try it for a month and for me it was wonderful ..

match53's profile photo
match53
10/03/2021 11:06 a.m.

DM 2 hace 22 años
Compectant 15/850
Novomix50 ( 30-30) mañana/mediodi - novomix30 (60) noche
Glicada ultima - Stbre/21.....7,6

@Match53: You cannot completely forget the punctures in the fingers with the freestyle. It is always necessary to make a capillary when it marks hiccups or hyper very high because at that time the freestyle does not just be reliable.

Ricki21's profile photo
Ricki21
10/03/2021 11:47 a.m.

DM1 desde 1982: Toujeo+Novorapid

Hi,

I am 66 years old and I am a diabetic of more than 12 years.Over the time I went from the pills (metformin) to insulin injections.What worries me is that I need more and more units to keep me in less than 140. I currently put 44 units of taujeo insulin, and sometimes I am not within the desired value.Now that I am in pension, I am more concerned with the fact that I do not burn calories as before, and in theory I would have to increase the units.I am controlled every 6 months by the Hospital Diabetology Unit, and the control would be in December.As it seems to me that it would help me to see the variations of blood glucose during the day (and therefore to regulate food ingestion), I was thinking of trying to control the diabet with a device that many know that is called Free Style.I would like to feel the opinion of those who use it, and see if it really is useful to me.All the best.CLAUDIO

Hello, I am one of your years, but type 1. I put on bad days up to 40+ units a day, but from humalog with bomb, I think that of Glargina is a dose a little high in effect.Maybe what you need is another guideline with less slow and quick injections in meals, talk to your diabetes endocrinologist, there are many possibilities.

As for free, flatly in favor.I have been permanently for 3 years.It changes your life: you observe in real time what is your level and how it changes with meals, physical exercise, insulin, and for causes you don't know what they are (that is, because).As you can see in this forum, it is not perfect and fails, but mostly it works well.It is certainly the thing for your doctor and you decide which is the correct treatment.

Go ahead with it and luck.

Cristóbal Cortés's profile photo
Cristóbal Cortés
10/03/2021 2:24 p.m.

Cristobal, I am going to use it.I hope the diabetologist prescribes it.Thank you very much for your comment

Claudio Alfonso Casetta
10/06/2021 12:31 p.m.

Thanks also to Match53 and Ricky21.All opinion enriches and gives diverse nuances.All the best

Claudio Alfonso Casetta
10/06/2021 12:35 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.