Carbohydrates and sugars

diabetico52's profile photo   10/20/2021 4:11 p.m.

I have been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and now I walk all day looking at food labels and a doubt has emerged.I think the important thing is to take the less carbohydrates the better, and even better 'of which sugars' even less ... but it is not clear to me that it is better or worse ... I give an example, what would be better?

Per 100g
Food 1: Carbohydrates 50g of which sugars 1g

Food 2: Carbohydrates 20g of which sugars 20g

In a case so food would be better for me?Thanks for your help

diabetico52's profile photo
diabetico52
10/20/2021 4:11 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Ufff, I of these issues do not control anything.I try to make sugars as possible and hydrates the same.Not as usually nothing that has 50gr of hydrates per 100gr, at least it is something packaged that can be bought, obviously with other things type fruits and vegetables it costs me more.

I know that they tell rations here and maybe it helps you more, they look at the fiber content ... but I guess that serves if you put insulin.I prefer to reduce those things as much as possible, really.It is what I am seeing that I am doing better.

Nila's profile photo
Nila
10/20/2021 4:38 p.m.

Diabetes desde 03/15
Lantus
MODY 3
HG octubre 2021: 5,7; junio 2021: 6,5; 2020: 6,7; 2019: 6,7. 2018: 6,4

Well and if I take something with a lot of hydrates content, type a potato tortilla, oatmeal ... I try to be from type 30gr quantities, we go little amount and accompanied by other things.For example, salad, a fillet and the omelette.And I am taking the salad before it gives me the impression that maybe the digestion slows down and it does not upload the same as eating it alone

Nila's profile photo
Nila
10/20/2021 4:40 p.m.

Diabetes desde 03/15
Lantus
MODY 3

At the risk of putting the leg, because all this is also new for me, I would say that food 1 is better due to a simple mathematical issue.However, do not stay alone in hydrates, there are slow absorption and rapid absorption….Look for a food table with its glycemic index, the lower, the better.

Aalmu's profile photo
Aalmu
10/20/2021 5:04 p.m.

@Diabetico52 Diabetes means that we do not processes carbohydrates well, it doesn't matter if it is sugar or other.
You have to look at the total carbohydrates, not only in sugars, we need insulin (endogena or exogenous) for all hydrates;Your body does not produce enough insulin to metabolize carbohydrates.

For example, milk has lactose that is a type of glucide, so you have to control how much babies, fructose fruits, idem vegetables, legumes, potatoes, peas, pasta, rice, flours ... do not carryadded sugars but are sources of hydrates that your body today cannot metabolize as before.

In canned products, look at the total.Not only in what they list as "sugar."

The best for you and for all people are complex or slow absorption hydrates (low glycemic index): legumes, vegetables and fruits.Avoid complex hydrates to the maximum: industrial products, refined flours, and limit rice, pasta, potatoes because it has a high carbohydrate content that takes a long time to eliminate.
Of course, little fat and protein the fair because 30% becomes a cargo at hours and glymia rises.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
10/20/2021 5:55 p.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

Thank you very much really ... I know that I should avoid carbohydrates and sugars in general, but it is a very specific question that I would like to solve, because at the time of breakfast today I have presented this specific case andI have not known what to choose ... I tell you:

100gr of cake 0% added sugars:
Carbohydrates (per 100gr): 48.1g of which sugars 0.9g

125gr of Greek style of Stracciatlla
Carbohydrates (for 125gr): 20.7g of which sugars 20.0g

In this case, do you think it is healthier (or less insane)?

diabetico52
10/20/2021 7:10 p.m.

diabetic52 said:
thankThe breakfast time has presented this specific case and I have not known what to choose ... I tell you:

The first of the food that quotes equals the white bread .... kk, the second to a nestea .... kk, the cake not recommended even if they do not add sugar can already take them from the ingredients, the yogurt or smell it on the InternetThere are a multitude of sugar, HC, IG, calories etc.

Alberto_13's profile photo
Alberto_13
10/20/2021 7:27 p.m.

DM3c desde 2018; hb 6 % (feb.. 2022) (tresiba+fiasp+metformina)

Thanks @Alberto_13, I have seen this sugar calculator,

Link

But of course, it only takes into account sugar, and then in this specific case it clearly recommends the first one with which I do not consume a sugar terron while with the second practically consumption 5 !!

diabetico52
10/20/2021 7:39 p.m.

I use this, I know that Nome sticks, but it is the most complete I know
Link

Alberto_13
10/20/2021 8:47 p.m.

I would also avoid the sweeteners.I use them in coffee and if I ever make pastry, but for example I have eliminated them and industrial bolleria and chocolates also because they feel fatal to me and then reading some nutris, they also do not recommend taking them because they comment that at the time at the timeIt gives you more hungry

Nila's profile photo
Nila
10/20/2021 9:19 p.m.

Diabetes desde 03/15
Lantus
MODY 3

nila said:
I would also avoid them, the truth.I use them in coffee and if I ever make pastry, but for example I have eliminated them and industrial bolleria and chocolates also because they feel fatal to me and then reading some nutris, they also do not recommend taking them because they comment that at the time at the timeIt gives you more hungry

But that's normal, right?The sweeteners do not have the satiating power of pure sugar, I think ...

Alberto_13
10/20/2021 9:43 p.m.

alberto_13 said:
I use this, I know that nome sticks, but it is the most complete that I know
Link

It doesn't hit you ... 😂😂😂😂

isabelbota's profile photo
isabelbota
10/20/2021 10:59 p.m.

DM 2 con páncreas agotado desde diciembre 2020. 51 años entonces.
HG diciembre 2020: 15.9. Última HG: julio 2024 5.8
Abasaglar 9 unidades. Metformina, 1000/0/1000. Humalog junior: 2 unid en desayuno y luego en función de lo que coma.

😂😂😂😂

Alberto_13
10/20/2021 11:17 p.m.

alberto_13 said:
nila said:
I would also avoid them, the truth.I use them in coffee and if I ever make pastry, but for example I have eliminated them and industrial bolleria and chocolates also because they feel fatal to me and then reading some nutris, they also do not recommend taking them because they comment that at the time at the timeIt gives you more hungry

But that's normal, right?The sweeteners do not have the satiating power of pure sugar, I think ...

Thus a little explained it becomes that the brain receives signs that it enters the sugar body because it is sweet, in that case the body secretes insulin and there is a greater decrease in glucose because that sugar is not really.Of course, it does not apply to an insulin -dependent person, but I have noticed that it generates more anxiety shortly after eating.

Nila's profile photo
Nila
10/20/2021 11:20 p.m.

Diabetes desde 03/15
Lantus
MODY 3

alberto_13 said:
thank you very much ... I already know that I should avoid carbohydrates and sugars in general, but it isThat it is a very concrete doubt that I would like to solve, because at breakfast today I have presented this specific case and I have not known what to choose ... I tell you:

The first of the food that quotes equals the white bread .... kk, the second to a nestea .... kk, the cake not recommended even if they do not add sugar can already take them from the ingredients, the yogurt or smell it on the InternetThere are a multitude of sugar, HC, IG, calories etc.

The two options are bad but better yogurt because it has less hydrates in total and the cake surely has the flour hydrates that are absorbed almost as fast as pure sugar.So the two are going to climb very fast but the cake will rise much more.In addition, yogurt has more nutrients than sponge cake and cake, we probably wear bad fats, instead those of yogurt are the fat of the milk that is healthy.

Anyway, a better option is to buy natural Greek yogurt and add your black chocolate pieces (& GT; 70% cocoa) and if you know very badly a little sweetener without hydrates (try to gradually reduce the amount until youyou usually to the natural flavor of yogurt).The Greek yogurt is very good because it has a very low amount of hydrates (they usually have 3-4gr per 100) and also satisfies more for fat and has a softer flavor than normal natural yogurt.Hydrates are also slower combined with fat.And the sweeteners are one better than others, for me the best in terms of flavor and 0 hydrates is erytritol.It is very similar to sugar but without hydrates.Xilitol is also quite good but this one has some slow hydrates, but in small quantities I don't think you notice the climb.And the stevia also well of hydrates but the taste to me personally I do not like.

Yessica_A's profile photo
Yessica_A
10/21/2021 3:34 p.m.

DM1 desde 2003 | Toujeo + Humalog | FreeStyle 2 | HbA1c 5.5

diabetic52 said:
thankThe breakfast time has presented this specific case and I have not known what to choose ... I tell you:

As @yessica_a tells you, none is "recommended" for a diabetic.The cake carries refined flour that is a simple hydrate that quickly rises glycemia, apart from the fats that will make glycemia stay more time.
The yogurt will take the lactose of milk that also rises a little but less.

The cake is 48% hydrate and the yogurt a 16.5% hydrate .... so if you have no choice, yogurt.

If you like soybeans, soy yogurts are 0% carbohydrates (Sojasun), those of Danone have 2G of HC per 125g;White -end soy milk without sugar has 1g per 100ml;Try them.

If you take refined products: bread, yogurt, magadalenas, cookies, etc.Try to be with whole wheat flour that is a complex hydrate and rises more slowly so that your glycemic curve will be softer and the pills will work better in its action.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
10/21/2021 4:34 p.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

@Diabetico52

Foods are not good or bad exclusively because of hydrates.You have to look more things!

It is very important for us, but as for anyone you have to always look at the general composition and how much fat, look saturated fat (the less better), proteins and fiber.It is not sometimes the truth.Then there are also products, such as yogurt q has other benefits, which has to be taken into account.

I would choose a “natural” yogurt without additives, and you can put flax seeds, pipes etc etc etc

All the best

jldiazdel's profile photo
jldiazdel
10/21/2021 6:10 p.m.

DM1 desde Marzo 2018 (53 años). 7-10 unidades basal: Abasaglar (insulina glargina). NovoRapid. Factor 1.0/1.5.
Vivo en Alemania. CarboH total dia 70-80 gr. Deporte Gym todos dias L-V 1h-2 h
HbA1c 5,5% (Abril 2022)
Dexcom G6

jldiazdel said:
@diabetic52

Foods are not good or bad exclusively because of hydrates.You have to look more things!

It is very important for us, but as for anyone you have to always look at the general composition and how much fat, look saturated fat (the less better), proteins and fiber.It is not sometimes the truth.Then there are also products, such as yogurt q has other benefits, which has to be taken into account.

I would choose a “natural” yogurt without additives, and you can put flax seeds, pipes etc etc etc

GREETING

Of course, you have to look at everything but for us the intolerance say, it is the HC especially.But all of course.

meginer's profile photo
meginer
10/21/2021 7:56 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.