{'en': 'Many doubts with my 8 -year -old daughter', 'es': 'Muchas dudas con mi hija de 8 años'} Image

Many doubts with my 8 -year -old daughter

ToniLucia's profile photo   12/26/2023 8:16 a.m.

Good morning,

I am the dad of an 8 -year -old girl who debuted 3 weeks ago.

My wife and I are reading and the more you read more doubts.

The endocrine has given us 5 meals all with hydrates, one of my doubts is, if there is any food that does not feel like something, something happens?

Should we put insulin if you have the values ​​well?

I imagine that it will be the honeymoon but yesterday it was between 90 and 110 all day with only 1 insulin unit.

I keep reading you.Courage everyone.

ToniLucia's profile photo
ToniLucia
12/26/2023 8:16 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

To be able to control well, you must eat the same carbohydrates at the same time.That is the way to compare.
When you have been making changes time, what you can do if you are not hungry is to give something different with the same hydrates.
Yes, you always have to put some insulin.Although this in honeymoon, it is very hard to leave insulin and in a few weeks have to put it again ... I had everything for parents.
Look for a diabetic association. Colonies for children in summer.It is a very good experience for a child.
All the best.

JuanSolo's profile photo
JuanSolo
12/26/2023 10:25 a.m.

It is important to always eat the same amounts of hydrates to learn how each meal affects.
On honeymoon, fast insulin may not be missing, I do not use it in almost 2 years, only slow and few units.The endocrine will say it.
The usual thing is that they send a fixed diet to pay and you learn.Important that the girl learning to be autonomous, that will allow her to go on excursions and to the house of friends.
In diabetes associations they help a lot with workshops, education, excursions, camps, etc.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
12/26/2023 3:13 p.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

@Tonilucia, the important thing is to observe and learn little by little.
You will take ease with insulin and hydrates, but it has been learning time and you have to adapt. If you point to meals and your controls you can draw many conclusions on how everything affects you.
When the honeymoon passes you will have to go up slowly and quickly, and with growth it will need more and more insulin until it reaches adult doses.
Little by little ... but you will see that the analytics are going well even if everything cannot be controlled.
Much encouragement and tranquility, that over time everything will be much easier ..

Regina's profile photo
Regina
12/27/2023 3:31 a.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

I debuted with 10 years after some papers, more than 40 years ago.
They were very different times with few media and very rigid and not as effective insulins as today, with which a very irregular control was achieved.Today it is more bearable, it does not mean that it is very complicated and uphill at the beginning but you will see that you will see it in another way.Surely you will be more overwhelmed than your daughter, children usually adapt quickly and do not see everything so black.
What I advise is that you give you normality, do not get over it too much and that you are gradually giving autonomy so that you learn to self -care.
Give you time too, not everything is learned overnight, patience, essay error and a lot of tranquility and encouragement.Your daughter should not live that you are overwhelmed because it will think that it is very bad of health and will feel guilty and not very valid.Over time everything will march more fluid.Here we are what we can help you.

meginer's profile photo
meginer
12/27/2023 8:39 a.m.

Hi Toni, welcome to the club that nobody wants to belong.Our son (15 years) debuted in the mid -November, so we are also new and we continue with many doubts.
I tell you some things that we have been learning in case they are worth it:

We were also worried about the amount of hydrates that had been scheduled, so we talked to the endocrine and adjust it to what we really eat.The key there is that they teach you to adapt insulin to hydrates, so that adjustments depending on whether they eat more or less.

Another thing we have seen - because our son is very athlete - is that the sport goes down a lot, which is very good.So I encourage you to, if your daughter likes a sport, to do it.It will also be good for the rest of his life.

As for how we carry it, I am not going to deceive you, we have cried a lot and we saw it very badly the first weeks.But it is true that as you get into the routines is more bearable.It has helped us to adjust the diet to eat all the same at home, including our other child.Actually, it is an investment for the rest of life.

It has been important that our child has been involved a lot, and it is punctured and controlled alone, with our help.That with an 8 -year -old girl is not viable, but surely there are things that you can teach him to feel more in control.We tell my son that, more than a disease, what he has is a condition that must be controlled, and that if he controls it well, he can even have a better health than the rest.

Our son is also still on a honeymoon and there are days of puncturing very insulin.If the levels are in 90-110 and do not eat hydrates, I do not advise you to put it on and do not put it on.But be careful, I'm not even a doctor.

Another thing finally.This is hard to emotionally manage as a father/mother.It cries and goes out, and I believe that that must be accepted as part of the process.It helps me to think about the fate of living in Spain, with public health (in the US we would have already ruined) and having access to quality food in our markets.

Well, a lot of encouragement and I wish you the best.You will see that in this forum there are many Maja people who have been diabetic for years and know a lot.

tonilucia said:
good morning,

I am the dad of an 8 -year -old girl who debuted 3 weeks ago.

My wife and I are reading and the more you read more doubts.

The endocrine has given us 5 meals all with hydrates, one of my doubts is, if there is any food that does not feel like something, something happens?

Should we put insulin if you have the values ​​well?

I imagine that it will be the honeymoon but yesterday it was between 90 and 110 all day with only 1 insulin unit.

I keep reading you.Courage everyone.

madreDMT1's profile photo
madreDMT1
01/01/2024 6:26 p.m.

Madre de adolescente DM1 (nacido en 2008), con DM1 desde 17/11/2023
Abasaglar 19
80-150 Raciones HC/día, dependiendo mucho de los planes y del deporte.
Sensor FreeStyle Libre 3
Madrid

With 8 years you must click alone.I have taught children with less age in the colonies, they did not even know how to count the numbers and they were already punctured, with someone controlling.
The sooner you learn better and participate in the decisions to rise or under the dose of insulin.
You are esucing them to be self -sufficient when they are older, a child tells you that has grown a lot.

JuanSolo's profile photo
JuanSolo
01/01/2024 7:13 p.m.

@juansolo, I think that clicking alone should be when they decide, because it is a very serious treatment and have to be prepared... In addition, while they are children they have to continue being, without responsibilities that do not correspond to them.
They learn, each at their rhythm, and if they were seen in a hurry they would know how to do it, but shared diabetes gets much better, at least while they are children.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
01/02/2024 3:11 a.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)

regina said:
@juanolo, I think that clicking alone should be when they decide, because it is a very serious treatment and they have to be prepared... In addition, while they are children they have to continue being, without responsibilities that do not correspond to them.
They learn, each at their own pace, and if they were seen in a hurry they would know how to do it, but shared diabetes gets much better, at least while they are children.

Diabetes is a part of their life and must learn to take it naturally, without somewhat negative.Children adapt very well to everything ... parents cost their lives.
Taking her to summer colonies is great for her and also for you who have to rest.
I have been monitor in colonies, they change your life to better.
Look for some diabetic association in your area.

JuanSolo's profile photo
JuanSolo
01/02/2024 10:41 a.m.

Hi Toni, my son with 5 debuted in mid -November.In my case the endocrine gave us insulin in the 3 main meals and the other 2 only if it is faded.
Sometimes the excess of information is bad, the endocrine, will advise you and then you can go doing "experiments" so that you feel as normal as possible ... one day a week or fortnight a piece of pizza, go to birthdays and powerEat cake ...

At first it seems very uphill, but then "normalizes"

ballbrk's profile photo
ballbrk
01/07/2024 10:06 a.m.

meginer said:
I debuted 10 years after some papers, more than 40 years ago.
They were very different times with few media and very rigid and not as effective insulins as today, with which a very irregular control was achieved.Today it is more bearable, it does not mean that it is very complicated and uphill at the beginning but you will see that you will see it in another way.Surely you will be more overwhelmed than your daughter, children usually adapt quickly and do not see everything so black.
What I advise is that you give you normality, do not get over it too much and that you are gradually giving autonomy so that you learn to self -care.
Give you time too, not everything is learned overnight, patience, essay error and a lot of tranquility and encouragement.Your daughter should not live that you are overwhelmed because it will think that it is very bad of health and will feel guilty and not very valid.Over time everything will march more fluid.Here we are what we can help you.

I totally agree, my case is similar 42 years of evolution but I debuted at age 11.It is very important not to transfer the fears and concerns that are had as parents, and that on the other hand are normal, to your daughter.You have to give it normality, she must see that she can do the same as anyone without diabetes, which if you have to transmit is the importance of having a good control of her diabetes and as she grows up to participate in her diabetes and make her independent so thatShe feels better and can develop all her potential.
It is a very long and unknown path for those who begin, but today with technologies, with all types of insulin that exist and what remains `to come, it becomes very bearable.In this community you will always find support and information, but the first months should be as the canons, following the doctor's instructions, there are as many diabetes as diabetic people, each one affects in a different way and what is good for one does notIt has to be for another, and now you are in the stage of how your daughter's diabetes is.
Inform a lot, ask all your doubts, the more you know and report better you will take it.

Salvasan's profile photo
Salvasan
01/07/2024 11:47 a.m.

Hello everyone again !!Yesterday we were visiting the endocrine.I tell you how these 4 months of debut have gone.
We left the hospital with 4 units of slow and little by little we have been reducing until it has been slowly 1 month since it produced many hypos.Like the rapid we only put 1 at breakfast and a half in the food and many times after the food needs an actimel or pill.
Yesterday we went to the endocrine and tested the glycosilada and left 5.2.
The doctor did not know what to tell us and has proposed a clinical trial of the Teplizumab in Barcelona, ​​because he says he had not seen a case like hers.
We remain the same with their rations and sport, but what we do not understand is that we go down doses and the few we put falls sometimes in hypos.I know what is in honeymoon but do you have so much reserve?
Forgive the tostón and thanks for the doubts you always solve.

ToniLucia
04/05/2024 5:27 p.m.

@Tonilucia, sometimes the honeymoon can lengthen months or even years.
I don't know if there are now treatments that can lengthen it anymore.
If you have had a clear debut, the diagnosis is also clear. But each case is unique.
You have to monitor and adapt to what you need.
Hopefully I still have this good for a long time.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
04/05/2024 9:33 p.m.

The first, the endocrine rules.What he recommends is the best.
When he debuted or later, he was tested with antibody and insulin that his body produced?If you have any analytics, the word peptide C. This is a very important fact to give us a clue about the type of diabetes.
Today, it does not need insulin.They are putting something, to avoid the psychological stick that means having to get insulin again when the honeymoon ends.
Put the minimum insulin dose and if you want to eat a caprichito from time to time, I would give it to you.Always in moderation and monitoring with it the glucose values.It is very important that even if it is small, it is involved in your diabetes.
I imagine that she is already clicking alone?With you pending.
Much encouragement ... I think it will have a diabetes of the easiest to control.
In a few months or a year and ... the diagnosis will be seen.

JuanSolo's profile photo
JuanSolo
04/05/2024 10:20 p.m.

@Juansolo
What indicates the type of diabetes are antibodies, not the peptide c.
The peptide C what measures is the pancreatic reserve.That is exhausted in type 1 but also many times in type 2 (my case, for example).

isabelbota's profile photo
isabelbota
04/05/2024 10:24 p.m.

DM 2 con páncreas agotado desde diciembre 2020. 51 años entonces.
HG diciembre 2020: 15.9. Última HG: julio 2024 5.8
Abasaglar 9 unidades. Metformina, 1000/0/1000. Humalog junior: 2 unid en desayuno y luego en función de lo que coma.

In the type there is a destruction of beta cells, antibodies destroy them.There are always some left because they reproduce, but only produce a little insulin.
And in type II.There is a chromosomatic alteration of the beta cells themselves, which does not affect their number, nor the amount of insulin produced.But to its quality, it is an insulin that does not work well, so you have to produce more insulin, to do the same job.

JuanSolo's profile photo
JuanSolo
04/05/2024 10:40 p.m.

juance said:
In the type there is a destruction of beta cells, the antibodies destroy them.There are always some left because they reproduce, but only produce a little insulin.
And in type II.There is a chromosomatic alteration of the beta cells themselves, which does not affect their number, nor the amount of insulin produced.But to its quality, it is an insulin that does not work well, so you have to produce more insulin, to do the same job.

Forgive, but it is not.What you define is insulin resistance, which is most cases in type 2 .. but also the pancreas can stop producing it.In fact, type 2 end up needing external insulin because the pancreas is exhausted.
In my case it was direct, it was exhausted and period, without resistance.Peptide C 0.6 when they measured it to me.And without antibodies, therefore type 2.
Come on, when it is my own case, I know something about that.

isabelbota
04/05/2024 10:47 p.m.

Abasaglar 9 unidades. Metformina, 1000/0/1000. Humalog junior: 2 unid en desayuno y luego en función de lo que coma.

Isabelbota said:
juance said:
in the type there is a destruction of beta cells, the antibodies destroy them.There are always some left because they reproduce, but only produce a little insulin.

Forgive, but it is not.What you define is insulin resistance, which is most cases in type 2 .. but also the pancreas can stop producing it.In fact, type 2 end up needing external insulin because the pancreas is exhausted.
In my case it was direct, it was exhausted and period, without resistance.Peptide C 0.6 when they measured it to me.And without antibodies, therefore type 2.

There are six or seven types of diabetes, new ones appear ... and doctors do not complicate in trying to find out what yours is.
Type I can occur without antibodies, although there are fewer cases.
Your pecid is 0.6, it is short but within normal.Having insulin resistance, shouldn't it be higher?
Were you taking metformin when they did the analytics?

JuanSolo's profile photo
JuanSolo
04/05/2024 11:04 p.m.

juane said:
Isabelbota said:
juane said:
juane said:
in the type there is a destruction of beta cells,The antibodies destroy them.There are always some left because they reproduce, but only produce a little insulin.

There are six or seven types of diabetes, new ones appear ... and doctors do not complicate in trying to find out what yours is.
Type I can occur without antibodies, although there are fewer cases.
Your pecid is 0.6, it is short but within normal.Having insulin resistance, shouldn't it be higher?
Were you taking metformin when they did the analytics?

I have told you that I have no insulin resistance.In fact, what they give is a high C peptide since the pancreas on works by needing the most insulin body than normal.
And 0.6 is not normal, it is not in the limits.
Apart from you, you always say that the endocrine and my endocrine have to be paid, it has told me that I am type 2 because I have no antibodies, that the pancreas is almost exhausted (what is seen in the analytics since the peptide C is below the limit) and that I have no insulin resistance.
But well, everyone thinks what they want.I pay attention to my endocrine.

isabelbota
04/05/2024 11:36 p.m.

Good morning, this is usually raised on an empty stomach every morning.We wait for the call of the endocrine to tell us more details of the essay in Barcelona, ​​also to do an analytical to see the real values.

ToniLucia
04/06/2024 11:33 a.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.