{'en': 'Statins and diabetes', 'es': 'Estatinas y diabetes'} Image

Statins and diabetes

fosforero's profile photo   05/14/2023 10:50 p.m.

Good night,

I have elevated cholesterol for many years and type 2 diabetes since 2014.

I just read a news that it is common for type 2 diabetes to be a side effect of statins, and has just been taken by Simvastatin since 2014.

Do you have more information on the subject?

Thanks and greetings!

fosforero's profile photo
fosforero
05/14/2023 10:50 p.m.

Diabetes tipo 2 desde 2014, 850 mg de Metformina al día, neuropatía periférica desde 2020

Yes, statins like other medications are considered diabetogenic, it means that used in time can produce insulin resistance I suppose that it depends on each person, but that effect is there.
Your doctor will assess the possible risk/benefit of taking them.
Anyway, the best medicine is the lifestyle, food, exercise ...

Otabol's profile photo
Otabol
05/15/2023 10:36 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

There are also studies, which statins reduce cholesterol in analytics, but do not reduce cardiovascular risk

Otabol's profile photo
Otabol
05/15/2023 10:37 a.m.

otabol said:
yes, statins like other medications are considered diabegoogenic, it means that used in time can produce insulin resistance I suppose that it depends on each person, but that effect isthere.
Your doctor will assess the possible risk/benefit of taking them.
Anyway, the best medicine is the lifestyle, food, exercise ...

Thanks @otabol, my doctor has not even told me that possible side effect, which in my case I am convinced that it occurs

fosforero
05/15/2023 11:34 a.m.

Diabetes tipo 2 desde 2014, 850 mg de Metformina al día, neuropatía periférica desde 2020

One of the studies, indicated by the FDA and the EMA, in 2012, is the association of statin treatment and an increase in glucosylated hemoglobin, of plasma glymia on an empty stomach, and- which is more transcendent- aIncrease in new cases of diabetes during statin treatment, especially in patients at risk of suffering or prediabetics.

fosforero
05/15/2023 8:42 p.m.

It is a medicine for a lifetime, so I understand that, sooner or later it will produce some adverse effect.
The "protocol" says that diabetics cannot have LDL cholesterol above 100 (really demanding requirement) and that if that happens, statin to sing.Without investigating more.Without knowing if your arteries are clean or have a plate, not counting other particles to see the level of "Basurilla" that circulates through the blood, such as the apob.Without assessing your physical activity, your diet, etc.
Giving a medicine to a diabetic whose main adverse effect is to produce insulin resistance seems to me demential.We have a higher cardiovascular risk but it is because of sugar, not cholesterol, so let's focus on controlling sugar to approach as much as possible to the levels of a healthy person.
All this is a personal reflection that I make from the information that I collect out there for my innate skepticism and my critical spirit.I have no health training, so do not take it as a wise advice but as an issue to "rethink."

Ensalada's profile photo
Ensalada
05/16/2023 8:36 a.m.

LADA desde septiembre de 2021
Toujeo y Fiasp
Aprendiendo

A phrase that my mother always told me comes to mind: medications, fix you one thing and spoil another

fosforero
05/16/2023 11:33 a.m.

In addition to diabetes, I have a family history of heart disease and cholesterol that does not fall with diet or exercise.I prefer to take the statins, which prescribed the endocrine a few years ago, to play Russian roulette.
ATTACHED Article that speaks of the heart problems that diabetic people can develop.Each one is free to do what he creates, but the risk exists.

Link

Ricki21's profile photo
Ricki21
05/16/2023 1:04 p.m.

DM1 desde 1982: Toujeo+Novorapid

ricki21 said:
In addition to diabetes, I have a family history of heart disease and cholesterol that does not fall with diet or exercise.I prefer to take the statins, which prescribed the endocrine a few years ago, to play Russian roulette.
ATTACHED Article that speaks of the heart problems that diabetic people can develop.Each one is free to do what he creates, but the risk exists.

Link

Great the article you have sent.I have consult with the endocrine next week and I will expose my doubts and that he makes the appropriate decision.Greetings

fosforero
05/16/2023 1:30 p.m.

I use red rice yeast, it is cataloged as a natural statin, but if you buy theits corresponding long-term side effects that are an increase in transaminases but in low doses of 5-10 mg are less harmful

Rogerix's profile photo
Rogerix
05/18/2023 7:55 p.m.

rogerix said:
I use red rice yeast, is cataloged as a natural statin, but if the purchase is to be with the coenzyme Q10 that regulates its oxidizing action, the easy and cheap route isThe one that gives you the endocrine that is covered by the SS with its corresponding long-term side effects that is an increase in transaminases but in low doses of 5-10 mg are less harmful

I take 20 mg of simvastatin a day and indeed, in the last analytics I have high transaminases, but I will do what the endocrine tells me, I do not want to make decisions on my own.I want to stop taking it I have but I don't dare.Greetings

fosforero
05/18/2023 8:28 p.m.

Try the red rice yeast for a season, in Amazon it is for € 29.90 to me has dropped from 210 to 160 only in 1 month taking it and come 90 capsules you have for 3 months since they are 1 every day with the food and avoid shocksHepatatic, it's more my endocrine, he told me, I prescribed simvastatin 5 mg and I said let me try the red rice yeast and tells me, it is worth, better more natural.The easy and cheap route is the recipe, free or in my case I pay a little for each medication, at me the 2 insulin boxes every month comes out for € 9 and I think that the simvastatin would cost me something, little but a few hundreds sure.I do not tell you that red rice yeast is considered natural statin

Rogerix's profile photo
Rogerix
05/19/2023 12:46 a.m.

rogerix said:
Test with red rice yeast for a season, in Amazon it is for € 29.90 to me has dropped from 210 to 160 only in 1 month taking it and come 90 capsules you have for 3Months since they are 1 every day with the food and avoid liver shocks, it is more my endocrine told me, I prescribe Simvastatin 5 mg and I said let me try the yeast of red rice and tells me, it is worth yes, better more natural.The easy and cheap route is the recipe, free or in my case I pay a little for each medication, at me the 2 insulin boxes every month comes out for € 9 and I think that the simvastatin would cost me something, little but a few hundreds sure.I do not tell you that red rice yeast is considered natural statin

Thank you very much, I will propose it to the endocrine because I have a next control visit

fosforero
05/19/2023 11:06 a.m.

rogerix said:
Test with red rice yeast for a season, in Amazon it is for € 29.90 to me has dropped from 210 to 160 only in 1 month taking it and come 90 capsules you have for 3Months since they are 1 every day with the food and avoid liver shocks, it is more my endocrine told me, I prescribe Simvastatin 5 mg and I said let me try the yeast of red rice and tells me, it is worth yes, better more natural.The easy and cheap route is the recipe, free or in my case I pay a little for each medication, at me the 2 insulin boxes every month comes out for € 9 and I think that the simvastatin would cost me something, little but a few hundreds sure.I do not tell you that red rice yeast is considered natural statin

Does it affect blood glucose?

diabestico's profile photo
diabestico
05/19/2023 11:28 a.m.

rogerix said:

I just put in Amazon to locate the product you are talking about, but they get a lot and I don't know how to differentiate them.Can you tell me which one you use, since you have proven its positive effect?Thank you so much

fosforero
05/19/2023 12:05 p.m.

Hi, it is not for awaits the party to all but the red rice yeast has k monacolin K and has the same adverse effects as the statins and it is more expensive.

YaizaJ's profile photo
YaizaJ
05/21/2023 12:58 p.m.

yaizaj said:
hello is not for awaits the party to all but the yeast of red rice has k monacoline k and has the same adverse effects as statins and above it is more expensive.

I had that suspicion

fosforero
05/21/2023 1:03 p.m.

Hello, in general I do not like to write in the forum because I already find it tired enough to be pending sugar to write about diabetes in the spare time, but I do it when I think I can help and without a doubt this topic I think thatIt is worth it.
I am type I diabetic for 36 years and a Doctor of Pharmacy.I also have publications in scientific journals and some research award, so I am not a rookie and I have health training.

Like the majority, many have been prescribed atorvastatin to reduce my LDL below 100 mg/ml and cardiovascular risk as marked by the famous and standardized protocol.My dose of atorvastatin has been rising over the years because, although my diet is low in saturated fats, my LDL level has remained fixed at 130 mg/ml despite raising the dose of atorvastatin.
As many have never reasonable to use a hyperglycemic medication to reduce my cardiovascular risk, which as it has been said before, is mainly the high level of blood glucose, not my lifestyle, since I have always exercisedRegularly, or my lipid profile, with a global cholesterol below the established limit and a high HDL.The studies that are regarding the hyperglycemic effect of statins indicate that Pitavastatin, another statin more modern than atorvastatin, has no hyperglycemic effect.However, since Pitavastatin has not shown to reduce cardiovascular risk such as atorvastatin, although it has a very similar power to reduce cholesterol, it is barely prescribed.In my opinion, it has not demonstrated it because a study has not been designed for this purpose, but its power to reduce cholesterol is equal to that of atorvastatin, it would not make sense that it did not reduce the cardiovascular risk, because then that would mean that theCardiovascular risk reduction does not depend on the reduction of cholesterol level.Another reason why it is prescribed less is because it is significantly more expensive.

More than 5 or 6 years ago he had certain discomforts that seemed to indicate that diabetic neuropathy suffered.I have almost always had glycosylated hemoglobins below 6, but of course, they are already 36 years of evolution, 27 of them without a sensor.I was dizzy when I stood up, I suffered tingling on my legs and arms ... however, I went to the neurologist and told me that there were certain things that did not square with a diabetic neuropathy.As a pharmacist I receive many emails from scientific publications related to medicines.A few months ago, reading some more study on statins, the neurotoxic effects of statins and neuropathy pictures were also noted in patients who have been taking statins, some diabetics, others not.In a case specifically, in which the patient was not diabetic, the symptoms (tingling in legs and arms) disappeared in the months of leaving the treatment.In my case, I left the treatment 6 months ago and most of the discomfort, mainly the tingles, have disappeared.At present, only Ezetimiba takes, which prevents the absorption of diet cholesterol and has a mechanism of action different from the statins, without acting on the endogenous synthesis of cholesterol.My current LDL level is the same, 130, just like the one I had before taking anything and then during the successive doses of atorvastatin dose.

As if that were not enough, a few days ago I read that statins, as well as acenocumarol (the famous sintrom), increase the rigidity of the arteries because they interfere in the natural mechanism of the body that prevents calcium deposits in the arteries, facilitating itscalcification.As you know, diabetics also have a trendto suffer calcification of the arteries as a result of the high level of glucose.

Eye, I don't want to say that people abandon their statin treatment.Each case is unique.But science is like that, and as knowledge progresses what is good today is bad and vice versa.Of course, it does not seem that a hyperglycemic medicine that also produces neuropathy and calcification of the arteries is ideal for a diabetic, but as always you have to study the risk-benefit relationship, and if it can be done in a personalized way for each patient better.

Take care of you

Gonz's profile photo
Gonz
05/21/2023 1:43 p.m.

Your comments are simply great and exposed in an impeccable way.Just add that apart from DM2 and cholesterol, I have peripheral neuropathy.
I had already read that another of the side effects of statins can be peripheral neuropathy, so that doubts in my brain are considerable, because there is no proof to demonstrate that peripheral neuropathy has its origin in diabetes and is done byDiscard other possible causes.After a lot of negative evidence doctors believe that the origin can be diabetes, but they are not sure because I have always had the glucose level.The shadow that the origin of my neuropathy is the simvastative is there.
It has been a huge pleasure to read you.

fosforero
05/21/2023 4:47 p.m.

Thank you very much @gonz for your contribution.For me it is very valuable because the experience as a diabetic and knowledge as a scientist of a controversial drug is combined in the first person.

Ensalada's profile photo
Ensalada
05/21/2023 4:55 p.m.

LADA desde septiembre de 2021
Toujeo y Fiasp
Aprendiendo

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.