{'en': 'The social toll that people with diabetes pay', 'es': 'El peaje social que pagamos las personas con diabetes'} Image

The social toll that people with diabetes pay

fer's profile photo   09/22/2023 3:24 p.m.

I speak of socialization, especially in the most everyday things, go out to eat or have dinner with friends, party or dance.

They often call me boring, not wanting to drink, dance, or simply party or dinner.

And for a person with diabetes (my opinion), it is simply not possible to do these activities (such as doing sports) without a certain forecast, I need a time of anticipation that allows me to think about what I will need to keep the glucose under controland be prepared for any unforeseen event that can end in a hyper or hypoglycemia.

The years have forged an anti-social reputation, especially in the family.When they propose some activity to think more about the difficulties I will have to overcome to control glycemia, than in the good that I will have (or not) enjoying the activity itself.

Leaving the routine, is also leaving the glycemic control, I cannot go to dinner away from home and be perfect glucose, it is simply not possible, the rations, content, way of being cooked the food, etc ... vary so much,that it is very difficult to calculate exactly the rations of hydrates they represent, and that without taking into account the effect of alcohol!

I often think that lack of control in the glucose that this dinner will generate, is worth it?

How am I going to control my glucose levels after eating and drinking abundantly?

Do you share these experiences or am I a unique case?

Thank you!!!!

fer's profile photo
fer
09/22/2023 3:24 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

To start I have never drunk alcohol.My friends know it and they don't tell me anything about my glass of water.A less problem to control with diabetes.
If I am with unknown people I say: "Thank you, but I don't drink alcohol" and there ends the subject.
I recognize that the social pressure for you to drink is huge, but each person has to be able to do what best suits him.
The thing about dinner or eating, I almost always run out with insulin because, as you say @Fer, it is difficult to calculate the amount of HC, fats and proteins when the food has not done it.
If I success with insulin, I am very happy and but it is time to rectify and it is worth not turning it more.

Ricki21's profile photo
Ricki21
09/22/2023 4:20 p.m.

DM1 desde 1982: Toujeo+Novorapid

What I have told you in the other thread ...
Sometimes I also consider if I get more compensated for leaving, doing an activity, etc;that the pain of returning to glycemic normality ...

I do not want to stop out, enjoy ... but it is true that very few people understand it ... and we can do tedious.
I try to do everything naturally, and be "one more", but you have limitations even if you don't want ...

It happens to me like @ricki21 I don't drink anything ... but going to dinner .. In the end it is an ordeal ... I almost never success.Even if it is "healthy."And then I have to spend the whole night rectifying myself ... I do not sleep and the next day it seems that I am a hangover or I know ... because the effect of that intake lasts hours ...

And then the issue of unforeseen events.Maybe dinner, calculate and then give them to go to such a place walking, or dance ... or ... and it gives you the typical hypoglycemia ...

We have to try to do the day normally, but it is very difficult.Sometimes I feel a little alone on this issue, because they really don't understand it, even if they support you ...

SilviaGRZ's profile photo
SilviaGRZ
09/22/2023 4:59 p.m.

Silvia (España)
Fiaps + Insulatard
Díabética desde los 4 años. Ahora tengo 37.
Hbg 6'9..

Ah!And it also happens to me a little barbecue theme in summer and such ... it overwhelms me a lot.You arrive in an hour ... and in the end it lies and eats or is very late ...
I dislodged a lot ...

Or the issue of going to a restaurant, and if you are in rank, it is worth, wait for food to click ... but has it ever happened to you (I have very bad luck) to click before to get down because you aresomething high of glucose and takes, it takes and ends up giving you hypoglycemia?
In the end I take two punctures ... one to rectify, and then that of the same meal/dinner.Sometimes two followed ... or spaced in time, for what I comment ...
You don't know how to get it ...

SilviaGRZ
09/22/2023 5:11 p.m.

Silvia (España)
Fiaps + Insulatard
Hbg 6'9..

silviagrz said:
what I told you in the other thread ...
Sometimes I also consider if I get more compensated for leaving, doing an activity, etc;that the pain of returning to glycemic normality ...

I do not want to stop out, enjoy ... but it is true that very few people understand it ... and we can do tedious.
I try to do everything naturally, and be "one more", but you have limitations even if you don't want ...

It happens to me like @ricki21 I don't drink anything ... but going to dinner .. In the end it is an ordeal ... I almost never success.Even if it is "healthy."And then I have to spend the whole night rectifying myself ... I do not sleep and the next day it seems that I am a hangover or I know ... because the effect of that intake lasts hours ...

And then the issue of unforeseen events.Maybe dinner, calculate and then give them to go to such a place walking, or dance ... or ... and it gives you the typical hypoglycemia ...

We have to try to do the day normally, but it is very difficult.Sometimes I feel a bit alone on this issue, because they really don't understand it, even if they support you ...

My young friends were also going to 10 bars before entering one.Or 2 or 3 discos.I don't even know how I could go, I remember that I only took the ball, although in the end I almost always had a bad time.And I ended up distancing me from all my groups of friends.

Today with the sensors I suppose it can be handled much better, or less bad.But when there was no impossible.

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
09/22/2023 5:46 p.m.

En 1922 descubrieron la insulina, en 1930 la insulina lenta. ¿Que c*** han hecho desde entonces?

Everything you say is true.It is all very complicated and very few people understand us.

You stay to take something at someone's house and, in the end, it is always proposed to ask for "some pizzas, hamburgers, etc."

That is why when we are with someone I am the heavy one who asks what plans there are food, dinner, etc.

And always loaded with my neverita with nuts, low beer in hydrates, sodas/zero tonic and other paraphernalia to be overwhelmed and overwhelmed.

It is true that it is difficult to go out and alternate with the people, but I tell you one thing: when I return home and think: "I have not had hypos or hypers. I have had a great time even if a little hunger would happen and look Diabox on the clockEvery 5 minutes.

Sandman's profile photo
Sandman
09/22/2023 6:08 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

sherpa41 said:
silviagrz said:
what I have told you in the other thread ...

We have to try to do the day normally, but it is very difficult.Sometimes I feel a bit alone on this issue, because they really don't understand it, even if they support you ...

My young friends were also going to 10 bars before entering one.Or 2 or 3 discos.I don't even know how I could go, I remember that I only took the ball, although in the end I almost always had a bad time.And I ended up distancing me from all my groups of friends.

Today with the sensors I suppose it can be handled much better, or less bad.But when there was no impossible.

I am clear that if instead of debuting in 2019, I had sensors, I would have debuted 15 or 20 years ago I would not have left a tenth of what I am dating now.

The sensors, even with all its defects, is a basic tool to have a "almost" normal life.Especially when it comes to leaving and eating/drinking outside the security circle that is our house.

Sandman's profile photo
Sandman
09/22/2023 6:13 p.m.

Eye, I am commenting on this in 2023, that we have sensors and having spent all my infacy and adolescence without them and that was a "challenge" as you say ... school, birthdays, get out of teenagers, Christmas, events ...

I always say it.To me
Sensors have changed my life completely.They can work better or worse, but it has nothing to do with ...

SilviaGRZ
09/22/2023 6:24 p.m.

Silvia (España)
Fiaps + Insulatard
Hbg 6'9..

Silviagrz said:
eye, is that I am commenting on this in 2023, that we have sensors and having spent all my infacy and adolescence without them and that was a "challenge" as you say ...

I always say it.To me
Sensors have changed my life completely.They can work better or worse, but it has nothing to do with ...

It is what I try to say.Those who have debuted now do not know the "luck" (among many quotes) that we have compared to those who have suffered all this before, when there were not even half of the media that now.

For me the simple fact of being on a terrace with friends drinking a drink and looking sideways at the clock and knowing how glucose is a blessing.

PS: The trend function of the app is God.That glucose tends to climb a little, we are doing well.Who is tending down "Camarero can bring me a package of fried potatoes to chop something?": D

Sandman's profile photo
Sandman
09/22/2023 6:38 p.m.

@Fer Well, you are not the only one, they tell me "problematic" or "rarita", but in my case it is because I do not want to eat food, chiná, Mexican, Peruvian, etc. that have high content of hydrates and fats.
Mediterranean food without problems, never success and rectified but I leave a lot.
My alcohol are wines and rarely Gin Tonic because I can't find Tonic Zero almost ever.
I make normal life and step of all.More than once I take my food to the barbecues h events with friends.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
09/22/2023 8:10 p.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

Well, I do not stop going to any gun, gathering or party, I don't drink alcohol, one less problem, I like to eat everything and socialize, if I have to correct ... I correct seven times if necessary, maybe aLittle glucose, but I have a good time, my partner does not have health problems, but he doesn't drink it either and when the time of the glasses comes and people begin to rise and say nonsense and throw you drool in the ear is thatThe time has come to leave. By the way my glycosilada is 5.7%, I will not be doing so badly, right?

diabestico's profile photo
diabestico
09/22/2023 8:27 p.m.

It was still worse before, when we only had insulin mixtures that forced youIf there are no food schedules.
I think that on those occasions you have to relax a bit .. ,.A meal with friends from time to time you have to enjoy it, and it is already taking practice to dominate it ... and better when people understand and help you.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
09/22/2023 9:15 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

diabetic said:
Well I do not stop going to any comilona, ​​gathering or party, I do not drink alcohol, one less problem, I like to eat everything and socialize, if I have to correct ...I correct seven times if necessary, maybe the glucose falls a bit, but I have a good time, my partner does not have health problems, but it does not drink well and when the time of the glasses arrives and the people startTo faint and say nonsense and throw you drool in your ear is that the time has come to leave. By the way my glycosilada is 5.7%, I will not be doing so badly, no?

With that glyc, it is evident that you are doing very well !!!!Keep it up!

Thank you all for the answers, I share practically everything you have said, today this support comes from pearl, there are better days and other worst, today I am more in the second than the first.

Thank you!!!!

fer's profile photo
fer
09/22/2023 10:01 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

I started with swine insulin so imagine, the glucometers were starting, I began to have it the year to debut to imagine, by eye and without knowing how you were.
So it is true that now it is much easier, I always say it, I wish I would have debuted now and not in my time those that Regina says, with the mixtures of insulin, if you were with your friends out there, you had to go to aTime to dinner.The control today can be very close to that of a non -dB person with the means that are and flexibility is something great.
Even so, it is true that it costs a lot to return to the Cdo and you eat out and more on vacation range and almost go out or take something out every day.In addition, here in Andalusia, we are a lot to be on the street, drink something, cover, one beer after another and cdo you realize 5 ....
I can't do that, I also don't like it too much, I prefer a dry white wine or two and I am more controlled but it is true that it is complicated.Last night we had dinner out, I usually have dinner little and early, yesterday it was at 10 and with cheeses and chacinas, because I went to bed well but from 3 in the morning, I arrived up to 220, I corrected and at 7 I was still in 200,I correct myself again and there I am now to 190 and it goes down SuperDecacio.
Give courage because I have been with a very flat curve all week, no more than 120 and super stable and then it costs a lot that it goes down, so sometimes I think if it is worth it, but let's see, you have to live a little too.
In my circle of friends, everyone knows that I have diabetes and do not insist on me offer me to eat or drink something, there is another girl who is celiac, another with lactose intolerance, q, although it is not the same, TB have food restrictions and notThey can eat anything.

meginer's profile photo
meginer
09/23/2023 8:02 a.m.

Yesterday we went to dinner because it was my son's birthday and of course he celebrated him in a bourgeois.

When all the parents who were left for dinner there and my wife and I had to go to another where I could eat something more decent.

That is the discomfort of every day we leave, which I can not eat anywhere and I have to be moving from here to there.

But, in the end, I think it is worth it because you have to socialize and leave a little.

How do you say you have to take advantage that with the means of control we currently have "normal" life, almost like someone healthy.

What do we have inconveniences?Of course, but as @meginer says, not many more than a celiac, an intolerant or an allergic.

Sandman's profile photo
Sandman
09/23/2023 11:14 a.m.

@Sandman in the bourgeois I eat the hamburger without bread, and ask for salad instead of potatoes and voila.
I have dinner today, the night will be 200 onwards and all the next morning the same while the fats metabolized.
Hydrates go quickly from the body, fats are my problem.
But I will have a great time and it is worth it.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
09/23/2023 7:16 p.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

I fully share the feeling and the way of expressing it from @Fer.I also feel socially marginalized, more than anything by my decision.I have reached a time when the price of leaving and alternating, is too high and then costs me a lot to return to my control routine and normalized glycemia.And we know, socialize goes hand in hand and/or drinking.
However selective it is one, lack of control is insured, although I also understand the position of those who advocate relaxing on certain occasions, who deserve it, and have a good time either with family or friends.Luckily we have insulin and especially systems such as the sensor, which help us decisively in these cases.

Congratulations to @Fer for this thread of discussion as real as appropriate.

Greetings for everyone

Sorprendido's profile photo
Sorprendido
09/24/2023 1:37 p.m.

Desde 1984 diabético tipo 1
Tresiba al mediodía , Apidra en las comidas.
Glicosiladas alrededor de 6,5 %
"Feliz aquel que reconoce a tiempo que sus deseos no están de acuerdo con sus posibilidades "
Goethe

Yesterday was my father's birthday and we went to eat out.We spent 2 hours eating because the service took a long time, it gave us time to digest between dish and plate.In short: a beer fell, a wine, and I signed up for the dessert, putting me insulin again.
At 6 in the afternoon I was in 190 and, instead of correcting, about seven I went to the gym.15 minutes of bike, 25 minutes of weights, some stretching and returned with 110 stables.
At night I did not feel like dinner, at 10 I was in 85, I took a glass of Gazpacho and a Greek yogurt and put on half a unit.At 7 I have woken up in Hicm with 60 (I do not consider it at all alarming) I have risen to eat a spoon of jam and I have returned to bed until 9.
I refuse to do without social life.We have many resources to control, within an order, glycemia when we eat outside.I don't want to obsess myself with perfect control.When I alternate, I am very aware because I know it is difficult for him to hit HC, insulin and times.But I have my strategies to return to normal.

Ensalada's profile photo
Ensalada
09/24/2023 1:38 p.m.

LADA desde septiembre de 2021
Toujeo y Fiasp
Aprendiendo

hello.I am with salad.Diabetes must adapt to your life and not you to diabetes.All these things generate helplessness, frustration, anger .....
The same because I lived it since childhood, diabetes at home (father, grandparents, my older sister, cousins ​​...) and educated that diabetes should not be a death in life.
Today, I feel like a beer or a sweet dessert, or hiking and climb to the mountain peak to see those magnificent views ..... I do it.With head and common sense.
Each one has to see how his body reacts to these things.It depends on the moment.There are times that I do nothing, sometimes I wear a bit quickly .... is that every moment is one and one must be aware at every moment.
A beer goes up very, very slow, for example.And it also lowers me very slowly.He goes up at 2 hours of taking it and then (if I do nothing) it takes my being 2 or 3 hours to return to its stability.It can be an inconvenience ... or not.It depends as you take advantage of it.Perhaps it is to the limit of the hiccups and while the family food arrives in the restaurant will rise to me enough to endure.
You have to know yourself and have a head, common sense and if life gives you lemons, take advantage of it and make lemonade, but never let defeatist thoughts prevent me from living.
I will never let diabetes stand between life and me.I will not stop doing anything just because it is Diabetic.
Many times I think of that person without arms that looks better than me ..... with my mouth.Not having an arm has not prevented him from enjoying that hobby or that he liked.Why does my diabetes do it?No, I refuse.I will adapt but I will not stop doing what I want, what I like just because I am Diabetic and the first thing that I prohibit myself is to have this type of thoughts that give rise to this type of post.I will not be Diabetic, I will do it despite being diabetic.Salu2

moñiño's profile photo
moñiño
09/24/2023 4:10 p.m.

salad said:
yesterday was my father's birthday and we went to eat out.We spent 2 hours eating because the service took a long time, it gave us time to digest between dish and plate.In short: a beer fell, a wine, and I signed up for the dessert, putting me insulin again.
At 6 in the afternoon I was in 190 and, instead of correcting, about seven I went to the gym.15 minutes of bike, 25 minutes of weights, some stretching and returned with 110 stables.
At night I did not feel like dinner, at 10 I was in 85, I took a glass of Gazpacho and a Greek yogurt and put on half a unit.At 7 I have woken up in Hicm with 60 (I do not consider it at all alarming) I have risen to eat a spoon of jam and I have returned to bed until 9.
I refuse to do without social life.We have many resources to control, within an order, glycemia when we eat outside.I don't want to obsess myself with perfect control.When I alternate, I am very aware because I know it is difficult for him to hit HC, insulin and times.But I have my strategies to return to normal.

My problem is that it doesn't happen to me.I don't know how much Tpo you have with DB.I do spend, I take a whole day to get to a certain normality.
Yesterday all day in a rise and low, all morning in 230 and 260, I correct me and nothing goes down, at two hours I correct myself and so several times.Insulin looks like water.And maybe what I have happened is that I have had a beer and two fried bags.
I ended up doing some force at 8 in the afternoon.And in the end, it seemed that I was affected all the insulin that had put me 7 hours before once and with the exercise
And it lowered me to 50, I took glucose and went up to 209, and so I was up and down, a day disaster
That's why I think about it.

meginer's profile photo
meginer
09/25/2023 3:03 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.