{'en': 'Diabetes and sport', 'es': 'Diabetes y deporte'} Image

Diabetes and sport

FERNY's profile photo   05/05/2010 9:13 a.m.

Hello everyone!!

I propose this topic in case any of you can advise me a bit when it comes to sports.

I have received the basic notions through my educator but I still have enough doubts.Prior to my debut I used to practice a lot).

My educator told me that although each person is a world, it was normal to ingest 1 ration or a half for every half hour and that I had to control my time.

He also explained to me what are the ideal glycemia for sports and others.At the beginning (2 months ago) I needed 1 ration (cookie) for every half hour, but the situation is changing to me and I currently need 2 and a half portions (1 energy and average energy bar that combined with another ration of isotonic drink, Gatorade).

I guess the need for more food is my "honeymoon" because the effort is the same as I used to do two months ago.Well, at least the situation is controlled and doing so if before the year I am at 130 later I am 100 or 110 or so.

The problem is that I want to start playing football.It is a challenge for me, for now it is what I miss most (I do not exaggerate) and like so many other things I think I do not have to deprive myself.

I am a little scared to play because I suppose that the effort played by football is stronger than running half an hour.I don't know if eating the same as when I practice sports that I mentioned above will do well.I know that I have to do that once I do the exercise but by chance someone practices football and knows if the needs of carbohydrates are greater than with another sport because I would appreciate some comment.

I would also like to know what kind of food you are best for when you exercise because I am thinking of replacing energy bars for some fruit but I don't know if it is the most convenient.Ah and also know if you always do the controls every half an hour or once you know how your body reacts to the exercise simply ingest what corresponds to continue doing sports and do not mediate. Well, nothing, if someone wants to tell me theirI am delighted sporting experience !!!!!!

A very big greeting to all and until next doubt !!!!!!

FERNY's profile photo
FERNY
05/05/2010 9:13 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Hi Ferny:
I also practice some sport, I go running, I hiking and now also a bicycle:-/, I only measure me half an hour before, adjust the pump down and as something, normally some cookies or an energy bar and always carryGlucosport and Aquarius in case I notice any hypo during exercise.If I go running I do not measure me at half an hour because I will be a maximum hour, but on the bike or walking that I will be several hours if I am measuring every 2 hours or so.Since I have bomb I have it easier to adjust insulin because at every moment I know the amount of insulin in my body.
If you like soccer do it, but you will not have a choice but to try, essay and error, it is the only way to learn, go down the insulin and eat hydrates .... banana, bars ....

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
05/05/2010 11:32 a.m.

Prado Dixit: "Something of sport" ... :)) Running, bicycle, hiking, Santiago road ... If I did that my endo would give me hugs: Mrgreen:

In the case of football, it is a bit more complex, because you cannot stop halfway to get a control or take a bar, you have to look for other strategies such as being a little high when starting to endure without hiccup ... reduce theBasal of that day ...

For me, the ideal is to contribute hydrates little by little ... similar to what the tennis players do with hydration, at each break they drink a little ... of course not all sports can be done.

I sign what Prado has said ... the experience is the one that commands ... in the end you can do almost everything.

There are and there have been players with type1 diabetes: Moha (Spanish, Osasuna, Barça ...) and Zetteberg (Anderlecht and Swedish international, already retired).
If they could too.

DiabetesForo
05/05/2010 3:16 p.m.

Thank you very much for your answers !!Well, I will try to see how and I will tell you.At the moment I am going to leave it for a little later because this afternoon I went to run, I was before 165, I have eaten 1 energy bar (15g), I have not drunk anything (I usually drink 1 ration of isotonic drink) since I washigher than I usually be when I get to exercise and at half an hour;measurement and 57 !!Ohhhhh.Today failure, but well I suppose it is clear that I have lacked supplements although I thought that being higher would not be needed.From the experience you learn, so nothing next time I will do better (I hope, of course !!!) football will have to wait ... I need to be safer.But either play professionally or anything, another thing is that I take it very to chest !!Hehe, but I can stop to do controls since I play with friends and everyone already knows my "problem" and encourage me to come back.In that sense there is no problem.Well nothing, thanks for answering me.I had no idea about Moha, what a rush of adrenaline has entered me through the body !!!!Thanks for the data !!Greetings to all and nothing to do sports everyone (motorcycling that is also a sport is not worth ehhh !!! hehe) health22 byeeeeeeeeee

FERNY's profile photo
FERNY
05/05/2010 3:58 p.m.

Hello friends. I have a question for bomb carriers:
in which both you lower the basal when doing bicycle or any exercise. They have put the bomb a month ago and I have certain doubts with the exercise. Thank you

chema's profile photo
chema
05/05/2010 4:30 p.m.

Well Chema as Prado and Owash have said is everything to try.It depends on the type of exercise, duration, that you have eaten, etc ... I usually lower the basal 80% two hours before starting exercise.Sometimes when I don't have it planned and I go with the bike, I take something a juice, Glucosport, others disconnect my bomb.Before exercising a moment to think and make decisions, after exercise check and you see how you should adjust insulin.

lola's profile photo
lola
05/06/2010 6:58 a.m.

Cria played basketball earlies all the weekend of the week and simply wore sugars in his pocket or had the trained and if he was bad for him and that's it (before the insulins were a bit horrible).I was going to basketball campus with 12 years where we trained seven hours a day and I didn't have big problems ... I had a hard breakfast and the insulin lowered me and if I had a hypoglucima, then lucurarillo and solved.

Now I run almost every day and I go (in summer) to the mountain, last year I made a two -day jour% for every day, including the night because the effect of sport lasts a long time.The grace to do sports is that the sensitivity of insulin increases and if practiced all day you may need to lower the basal (lantus or the slow one you use)

If you like football, do not leave it for diabetes, which surely manages to adjust insulin, diet and sport.

tica's profile photo
tica
05/06/2010 8:17 a.m.

Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro
DM1 desde 1988
Mamá de 2 niños y a la espera del tercero
Bomba + Dexcom

Another player with diabetes and councilor/sports councilor of his people:

Fa Onze Anys, to Juan José Tenorio Li are detecting a critical mismanage: diabetis.PER SORT, AQUETA MALALTIA, AMB LA QUAL HAURà de Conviure Tota Life, does not prevents continue in Actiu Esportivament.Tot i that the Balaguer must carry a control molt stricte and annecakes.
"It will be Molt Alleujador to know that football could continue, surot

I translate:
Eleven years ago, Juan José Tenorio was detected a chronic disease: diabetes.Luckily, this disease, with which he will have to live together, has not prevented him from continuing in sports.Although Balaguer has to carry a very strict food control and with the analytics.
It was very relieved to know that he could continue football, especially for a person as active as I, explains Tenorio, who demonstrates to be a model to continue taking into account the rhythm of life he leads.

DiabetesForo
05/09/2010 5:36 a.m.

Thank you very much for the spirits, the advice, the information and in general for everything !!!!This week I will try to see how it goes and I will tell you !!The football after all is nothing more than the desire that I have that everything returns to "normality" and getting diabetes to adapt to me and not on the contrary.It is not easy, but little by little and being positive I know that everything can be achieved !!Health22222 !!!!!

FERNY's profile photo
FERNY
05/10/2010 4:48 a.m.

Jogging consumes enough sugar as a rule.Although you will know, the energy consumption in sports is basically influenced by two things;the intensity of the exercise and duration of the same.An aerobic exercise like the bicycle, for example, can endure over time for 3 hours if you maintain a soft aerobic rhythm.In that case, you will consume basically fat, and maybe in the hours after exercise, you suffer hypoglycemia due to glycogen recharge by the muscle.But if you bicycle in a more intense way with greater effort, the body will need a greater contribution of energy, and you will consume circulating glucose and the liver, so you will have to replenish before or during exercise.

As each person does sports with intensity, rhythms and a certain and personalized duration, it is too riskylong of how long.

As a general rule, aerobic sports will consume more energy in the form of glucose, and if they mobilize the large muscle groups of the body, even more (such as the legs when running, with the bike, etc.).

I am from the opinion that it is really difficult to eat during the sport, so I always start my sessions higher than desirable, to pull that reservation and not have a faint in the middle of the session.If your exercise is football, although it is not aerobic, it is intense and long duration, so it could perfectly take a hiccI eat some slow and maintained contribution, such as cereal bars, or anything with starch (slow HC).

Luck!!

HanSolo's profile photo
HanSolo
05/10/2010 12:28 p.m.

ISCI / debut: 1986 / HbA1c: 5,5%

Hi Ferny.
I tell you my experience.I am 30 years old and I am diabetic for 5. I have always practiced sports of all kinds: tennis, swimming, spinning, running, skating, eskiar ... and now since I am diabetic I have not stopped doing it and I have even practiced new sports forI like surfing or rafting.

My advice if you like sport: put the bomb, change your life.I handle me much better since 1 hour before exercising it to me at 50% + 1 ration.However, when I did not carry it, I had to eat up to 5 rations to exercise and it was so full of the gym, that I couldn't even move and fattened instead of thinning!In addition, the issue of hypoglycemia after exercise is much more controlled.

One last thing, perhaps with football you can see that after half an hour it goes up, instead of going down, this is due to what is called "stress for exercise" since you have to do great springs and this can increase your blood cells,Although eye, because once finished it will tend to get off.

Above all, much encouragement!Ah, and I usually measure every half hour of exercise.

Pepita's profile photo
Pepita
08/25/2015 10:09 a.m.

Hi Ferny: I tell you my experience with sport.Federated volleyball game and the truth is difficult to control my glucose levels during the activity.
What I want to avoid is to be thinking about my sugar prevents me from concentrating on my sport, more than anything in a game, where I cannot go out and measure myself.
What I do in general is the day of the game or training inject less insulin than a normal day (either slow or fast).As the glucose lowers me a lot during the activity, it started with a high value and I always have a barrita and some chewable candy in the bank (things that can be eaten quickly in an entertainment).Almost always in the middle of the game ... if I see that it will be extensive like the banana.And if I feel that I am a bit low, I measure me in the halftime and as something.(Although I always want to avoid getting to that extreme of feeling bad and trying to keep me half high.
In addition, the impact of sport usually lasts until the next day, and sometimes gives me hypoglycemia at night (in those days).

Although it seems that volleyball or football is not as aerobic as running, for example, the legs are used a lot and is the most glucose spending.
I hope it has been helpful.
Any questions at your disposal.

For the rest that is handled with bomb?As is your experience .. Mi.Médica wants me to put it on and I resist a lot.
Thank you

Vane's profile photo
Vane
08/06/2016 7:33 a.m.

How long does this post have ??It gives me much hehehe

LuVi's profile photo
LuVi
08/06/2016 10:01 a.m.

DMT1 desde los 12 años (1991)
hbA1c= 5,4

Humalog y Toujeo (mayo 2017)
Humalog y Tresiba (mayo 2016 hasta mayo 2017)
humalog y NPH (desde inicio hasta mayo de 2016)

Hello everyone;I am new in the forum and a few days ago something happened to me that usually happens to me.I shed Lantus both before sleeping and waking up in the morning and novorapid for meals.Now in summer I do sports in the afternoon from 7:00 p.m. in the pediment.I am very competitive and I effort to the fullest when I compete with good people.After a quite large effort a few days ago I noticed with my ears plugged and when I got home, (it is 15 minutes from the pediment) and I measured the sugar I was scared to the maximum 639 of sugar.How is it possible to reach those levels if when I started the exercise I was 130?

Despotes's profile photo
Despotes
08/18/2016 5:28 p.m.

despots said:
hello everyone;I am new in the forum and a few days ago something happened to me that usually happens to me.I shed Lantus both before sleeping and waking up in the morning and novorapid for meals.Now in summer I do sports in the afternoon from 7:00 p.m. in the pediment.I am very competitive and I effort to the fullest when I compete with good people.After a quite large effort a few days ago I noticed with my ears plugged and when I got home, (it is 15 minutes from the pediment) and I measured the sugar I was scared to the maximum 639 of sugar.How is it possible to reach those levels if when I started the exercise I was 130?

Welcome @despotes, did you measure sugar again?It could be that you did not have your finger very clean and the blood drop with any substance that distorted the analysis was contaminated.With those figures and before correcting with the fast it is better to make sure it will not be that you do a supercorrection and have a historical hypo.

Normally when we exercise a lot of intensity, sugar suggests a lot and very fast, but what happened to you was a very big and too fast climb.

DiabetesForo
08/18/2016 5:58 p.m.

And what did you do?Did you check it?It also seems to me a measurement error, it is a barbarity of hyper ..

Regina's profile photo
Regina
08/18/2016 7:31 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

Joseludi said:
despots said:
hello everyone;I am new in the forum and a few days ago something happened to me that usually happens to me.I shed Lantus both before sleeping and waking up in the morning and novorapid for meals.Now in summer I do sports in the afternoon from 7:00 p.m. in the pediment.I am very competitive and I effort to the fullest when I compete with good people.After a quite large effort a few days ago I noticed with my ears plugged and when I got home, (it is 15 minutes from the pediment) and I measured the sugar I was scared to the maximum 639 of sugar.How is it possible to reach those levels if when I started the exercise I was 130?

Welcome @despotes, did you measure sugar again?It could be that you did not have your finger very clean and the blood drop with any substance that distorted the analysis was contaminated.With those figures and before correcting with the fast it is better to make sure it will not be that you do a supercorrection and have a historical hypo.

Normally when we exercise a lot of intensity, sugar suggests a lot and very fast, but what happened to you was a very big and too fast climb.

I checked it 3 times and 3 times he gave very similar measures, it is not the first time that it happens to me at least a couple more times I have had more than 450 after making a very large physical effort.

Despotes's profile photo
Despotes
08/18/2016 10:38 p.m.

despotes said:
Joseludi said:
despots said:
despots said:
hello to all;I am new in the forum and a few days ago something happened to me that usually happens to me.I shed Lantus both before sleeping and waking up in the morning and novorapid for meals.Now in summer I do sports in the afternoon from 7:00 p.m. in the pediment.I am very competitive and I effort to the fullest when I compete with good people.After a quite large effort a few days ago I noticed with my ears plugged and when I got home, (it is 15 minutes from the pediment) and I measured the sugar I was scared to the maximum 639 of sugar.How is it possible to reach those levels if when I started the exercise I was 130?

I checked it 3 times and 3 times he gave very similar measures, it is not the first time that it happens to me at least a couple more times I have had more than 450 after making a very large physical effort.

Have you talked to your endocrine?Maybe I would convince you quickly one or two hours before exercising.I don't know, but what happens to you does not seem normal

DiabetesForo
08/18/2016 11:24 p.m.

@Despotes I understand that you have not taken any sugary drink or anything weird in the course of the sport truth ..?I have ever finished any activity around 300 mg/dl but 639 seems to me the truth.

sigsauer's profile photo
sigsauer
08/19/2016 9:50 a.m.

It is not so weird, the other day I went with 150 to do sports and arrived in 475. Many things influence .. type of sport, segregation of adrenaline, the effect/time of action of the insulin that has to cover you, that HCYou have taken before, its glycemic index, its absorption, as @despotes says if those "pimp" is very competitive for failures is a more affectation ..

LuVi's profile photo
LuVi
08/19/2016 10 a.m.

DMT1 desde los 12 años (1991)
hbA1c= 5,4

Humalog y Toujeo (mayo 2017)
Humalog y Tresiba (mayo 2016 hasta mayo 2017)
humalog y NPH (desde inicio hasta mayo de 2016)

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.