{'en': 'Sport in the gym', 'es': 'Deporte en el gimnasio'} Image

Sport in the gym

Davbbit's profile photo   09/13/2024 9:49 p.m.

Hello,

I am David, I am 50 years old and I am diabetic type 1. I was diagnosed 2 weeks ago.I currently have the freestyle because they put it in the hospital, but I still have no appointment with the endocrine.

Yesterday I went to the gym and while I was heating in my elliptical, the meter was whistled and I saw that I was 60.

My question, although it must be very basic (but I am new in this), is:

What do you recommend eating before going to the gym to be able to do complete training?

And how to avoid peaks that go up quickly but also go down very fast?

Maybe I shouldn't go to the gym until the endocrine sees me.

Thank you!

Davbbit's profile photo
Davbbit
09/13/2024 9:49 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

You just started, the insulin that was present at that time have to lower it a bit ...
If you are going to do gym on a daily basis, you should also slow insulin, because by doing sports the body cells open and need less insulin. With what you need less insulin during the following 24 hours.
In the hypo, you can take to start and climb fast, liquids with sugar, juice and then something to maintain, sweet cookies, chocolate ... in moderation.
Trial and error.
You get used to you soon.
Luck

JuanSolo's profile photo
JuanSolo
09/14/2024 8:34 a.m.

davbbit said:
hello.I am type 1 diabetic and it is done 2 weeks.I have Freestyle because they put it in the hospital but I still have no endocrine.
Yesterday I went to the gym and while he was heating by doing elliptics, he whistled and was 60.
My question although it must be very basic (but I am new) is: that you recover that it eats before going to the gym for me to hold an entire training?And without picos that go up but go down very fast?
It does not have to go to the gym even until the endocrine sees me.Thank you

Hi David, what has very good to me is the banana to maintain, before and after depending on the glucose ks you have.For hypoglycemia I use glucose in pills or gel.

I recommend you follow Serafín Murillo, and adapt the training with the guidelines you give, it solves them to know them and get ahead of the hypos.

Encouragement, these "mistakes' are necessary and help you to know you and improve your control and health.

All the best

joelsa's profile photo
joelsa
09/14/2024 8:44 a.m.

@Davbbit: Above all, he tries not to do aerobic exercise with active fast insulin in the body, that is, within the next 2 hours after the injection.If you can't wait those 2 hours, you have to lower the fast insulin to avoid hypoglycemia.
I attach a link where type 1 diabetes is talked about and exercise:
Link
I hope it helps you!

Ricki21's profile photo
Ricki21
09/14/2024 10:02 a.m.

DM1 desde 1982: Toujeo+Novorapid

Thank you very much for your advice!I ignore you!

Davbbit's profile photo
Davbbit
09/14/2024 10:20 a.m.

Hi @davbbit
I like to take a look from time to time to the diabetes website of the Sant Joan de Déu hospital in Barcelona.It is quite focused on children, but 90% of the content is very useful, didactic and also understandable for adults.From what happens when you debuts and start with all this, to how to run an athletics race.
In the physical exercise section there are several entries, and precisely several of them are written by Serafín Murillo.
I leave you the link: Link

pau91's profile photo
pau91
09/14/2024 10:50 a.m.

Well, @davbbit may not need anything of insulin, if 2 weeks ago with your age, surely your own insulin is in the pancreas and you are on a honeymoon.

Watch the starting value and eat something, put the alarm over 90 and eat something if you reach that value.
Important visit to endo and give you diabetological training.

As a result of this forum, a book has been published that is very good "to live with diabetes: the power of the online community."
Very fun and helps debutants a lot

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
09/14/2024 2:33 p.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

Thank you so much!If it is exactly that.I am on a honeymoon and for the moment I do not use fast insulin because with the feed I try not to be more than 150 before eating.My pancreas must do yet.And I have dropped it from 24u to 8 because towards hypoglycemia every night.That descent has not been recommended by anyone or told me any doctor but because of what I have been reading, when my pancreas stop working at all, I will need the need to raise the dose.
Ah, I have already bought the book by Amazon, I will arrive tomorrow.Thank you so much!!!

Davbbit's profile photo
Davbbit
09/14/2024 3:04 p.m.

davbbit said:
hello.I am type 1 diabetic and it is done 2 weeks.I have Freestyle because they put it in the hospital but I still have no endocrine.
Yesterday I went to the gym and while he was heating by doing elliptics, he whistled and was 60.
My question although it must be very basic (but I am new) is: that you recover that it eats before going to the gym for me to hold an entire training?And without picos that go up but go down very fast?
It does not have to go to the gym even until the endocrine sees me.Thank you

Hello David, before training I usually eat some more carbos than normal, for example oatTime or less to start training normally collapses.Maybe it's badly done, but for now I don't know what else to do.

When I'm going to run or BTT I usually take an orange juice in the middle when I see that I get to 60 (yes, a pain).At the gym box office I always have small natural orange juices of the Mercadona, I think it's the fastest and healthy.

Making sports of medium/high intensity the sensor does not go well and always less, at least to me, many times I have measured after the exercise and the sensor told me 60 and was in 90.

I am also on a honeymoon, I only have slow, and 10uds that put the first week, when they let me incorporate the sport I was doing, I went down to 5uds.

At first they tell you that you do not exercise (at least to me) and it was torture.If you have your exercise routines I would keep them.

Much encouragement.

Name's profile photo
Name
09/14/2024 8:15 p.m.

DM1 mayo 2024 (31 años)
Toujeo 5uds

In order not to make rise-base peaks, I imagine that there would be or to lower the intensity of the training or take carbos little by little during training, in the form of liquid.I would like to find something in dust that mixes with water, be healthy and does not cost an eye of the face, but I have not yet looked.

Name's profile photo
Name
09/14/2024 8:55 p.m.

DM1 mayo 2024 (31 años)
Toujeo 5uds

Thank you so much!What a wonder to share this with you.It helps a lot.I thought it was crazy to lower the slow to 8 but I see that on honeymoon it is normal.From Monday I will take orange juices to see if I can endure, I like to do half a aerobic horita before making muscles, so between the oatmeal that you tell me and the zumito that half train, on Monday I tell you!

Davbbit's profile photo
Davbbit
09/14/2024 9:50 p.m.

name said:
so as not to make rise-bass peaks, I imagine that there would be or to lower the intensity of the training or be drinking carbos little by little during training, in the form of liquid.I would like to find something in dust that mixes with water, be healthy and that does not cost an eye of the face, but I have not yet looked for.

Name you can try drinks such as Gatorade, Powerade, Aquarius, Isostar etc ....

joelsa's profile photo
joelsa
09/14/2024 10:52 p.m.

Glucose candies, that is going well.They are easy to exercise.

In honeymoon it is normal to use very little basal insulin and nothing quick.We all went out with a high guideline that we are reducing, about 16 they guided me and I went down to 8 in a week.
The more you take care of yourself, the tougher.About 20 months.The main change was to use 1ud fast in meals and begin to notice the effect of hormones.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
09/15/2024 10:11 a.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

It happens to me a lot one of the "" "advantages of being diabetic" "" (it is ironic) is that for exercise we have problems because of the glucose level, that is, you have to take into account what levels you have, that you have eaten,What kind of exercise do etc etc, I do not exercise reservations (one day I climb to the mountain and even carry many foods, it is short and it arrives very fair)

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
09/15/2024 1:06 p.m.

Ok ruth thanks!I will wear glucose candies.I guess I can find them in the pharmacy.Antoni, I hope to be climbing soon !!For sure yes.I am learning a lot about diabetes and I feel strong and calm.Thank you all!

Davbbit's profile photo
Davbbit
09/15/2024 1:48 p.m.

davbbit said:
hello,

I am David, I am 50 years old and I am diabetic type 1. I was diagnosed 2 weeks ago.I currently have the freestyle because they put it in the hospital, but I still have no appointment with the endocrine.

Yesterday I went to the gym and while I was heating in my elliptical, the meter was whistled and I saw that I was 60.

My question, although it must be very basic (but I am new in this), is:

What do you recommend eating before going to the gym to be able to do complete training?

And how to avoid peaks that go up quickly but also go down very fast?

Maybe I shouldn't go to the gym until the endocrine sees me.

Thank you!

Hi Davbbit,
I have been doing sports with type I diabetes all my life, for many years I have been with Tresiba and Fiasp and now with a bomb, you must take into account several things.The first the type of activity, if you do aerobic sports run, row, bicycle the blood glucose will go down throughout the exercise, so it is good to start with blood glucose a higher pelin 150 for example and not have put you quick insulin three hours before, of course, bringing glucose with the amount in marked grams marked dos, 5 grams or gel envelopes of 10 or 15 grams This is important because you learn how much glucose you need next times and avoid bounce hyperglycems due to excess glucose,
For the next one I try to give you my opinion on high intensity sport, which this is being very long

Ypso23's profile photo
Ypso23
09/15/2024 2:18 p.m.

Apart from everything that you have already told you, perhaps you could invest the order of your exercise, that is, to make first strength (the anaerobic exeBalance although in this two and two are not four and there are variations according to the day but as you are starting, it can serve you.

meginer's profile photo
meginer
09/15/2024 2:23 p.m.

Thanks Meginer, I will do so, I will try to take glucose and trial/error.This is the beginning.When it takes time it will be easier!

Davbbit's profile photo
Davbbit
09/15/2024 5 p.m.

Hi @davbbit:

How curious!When I debuted they also paid me 24 slowly and ended up putting me 8, just like you.I believe that the pattern put it by weight, it was so surpassed with insulin that it fell into hypoglycemia several times a day, which had me very scared and bewildered.

Controlling glycemia in sport is very personal, each one is affected in a way.And it is a real sudoku, it depends on many variables: exercise time, time of the last intake, if you have an active insulin or not, type of exercise, duration, etc.

I have reached the following strategy:

Swimming;In 40 minutes I know that under 70 points, so the calculation is:

Start Glycemia- 70 = Amount of hydrates I have to eat.

I carry a banana and I like the portion that equals the calculated hydrates.

Walking, hiking: I wear a backpack with my buffet: small juice bruck, glucose pills, a piece of fruit, a pico bag, scolds or hills or whatever they want to be called.I put the alarm of the hiccups to 80 and, shot from what I feel like the repertoire.Always from one in a unit (HC), unless you have hours ahead because, as soon as the glucose dates that gives pleasure.

Gym:

If I am with 130 or fastest in the static bike 15 minutes and then I go to train strength.

If I am between 80-120 or less step directly by force.

Below 80 or directly in Hip, half a juice, I wait a little and as soon as the arrow is horizontal I start strength even if I continue in red, I know that I will go up yes or yes.

Yoga or Pilates does not usually move glycemia, by prudence, from 100 down I take a small caramel, 0.5 HC at most.

This works to me, testing and testing after suffering hypos, hípers and half-compensation.The advice is that you are testing, attentive to alarms and with resources to overcome possible hypos until you give with the key;with your key .

Courage and do not deprive yourself of exercising, it is essential for good diabetes control.

Ensalada's profile photo
Ensalada
09/18/2024 11:38 a.m.

LADA desde septiembre de 2021
Toujeo y Fiasp
Aprendiendo

Thank you very much for your words !!I take note of everything because everything helps me !!!In half an hour I go to endo for the first time.Find how such!I carry a couple of days training strength first and 20 minutes from elliptics to finish and it seems that I am in balance, that if I like a two -egg tortilla before going and whole wheat bread.When I get there 140 or so.

Davbbit's profile photo
Davbbit
09/18/2024 11:59 a.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.