Ketones ....

kekiya's profile photo   12/09/2010 12:08 p.m.

Hello good....
It will never open a day in which you do not stop having doubts about this roll of disease .... hahaha.
Well, let's see if you miss me: I am seeing, that many people, diabetics, do the ketonic bodies in a hyper ..... I do not know if everyone does it and I am the only one that still does not do it por who just found out, or you just do some .... and those who medis ... how?with what device?Do you buy it or do you give it to the SS?
Greetings !!

kekiya's profile photo
kekiya
12/09/2010 12:08 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

I do not know what machine to look at blood glucose they give in your autonomous community but if you have an ABBOTT (medise) machine the same machine with different strips can measure with blood glucose (bluish wrapping) and with other strips you can measure the bodiesBlood ketone (pink wrapping).The theme is to have strips for ketone bodies because the machine is the same.

Having ketone bodies is synonymous with having an important insulin deficit, if you take a bun control of diabetes or at least acceptable control it is not necessarysame (more insulin is needed).

With a control or at least acceptable diabetes there are no glycemia of 300 mg/dl or more and if they occur it is very timely and although they occur in a timely manner it is not the same to be planted in & GT;300 mg/dl for a punctual error that is in those values ​​continuously.

In principle, the blood glucose strips should be supplied just as they are supplied but they are more difficult to achieve, as with a control or at least acceptable, it is not necessarythat glucose (with the strips of ketone bodies the values ​​are measured in mmol/l and with a control bun It is normal for the machine to mark you 0.1 mmol/L and while it is below 0.6 mmol/l everything is insideof normality or so says the prospect of those strips and the instructions of the machine).

In the health center once I recently asked me and instead of giving me strips of blood ketone bodies (ketonemia) they were given of ketone bodies in urine (ketonuria) which are shit for different reasons ...Urine, let it dry and according to color you have "positive" or "negative" in ketone bodies PQ there is no more precision with those of urine.With the "positive" it would be necessary to see if it is for a punctual error or if you live in & GT values;300 mg/dl, if it is because of a punctual error you do not have to do anything, if it is because you live in & GT values;300 mg/dl touches the insulin dose.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
12/09/2010 12:35 p.m.

Well, you leave me with stone ..... my mother, I've been with this disease and I look new: shock :: shock: what a short ..: oops:
Well, daughter, they have never told me that I have to measure the ketone bodies, neither in blood nor in urine. My meter is this:
<!<!
So I do not know if I must measure the ketone bodies, or when, or if I should ask for it in my health center or what, since I am a little lost on this issue ..:?

kekiya's profile photo
kekiya
12/09/2010 12:41 p.m.

Well Kekiya, who have crossed the messages ...

I also had the One Touch.It does not measure ketone in blood.Go to your health center and ask for reactive strips to measure ketonuria.They should give them them, but as TNT says, they get dumb many times.They are also sold in pharmacies, I don't know how much they cost (I don't think it's much, the truth ...) before they gave you a tube with 25 reactive strips that measured everything (it is a long time, the same 7 years) now I think there are some somenew that only measure glucose in urine and ketone bodies, which are obviously more practical.Before every time I made a sodium looked at me, the ions ... what do I know.The Bible in verse hahaha

móntrial's profile photo
móntrial
12/09/2010 12:48 p.m.

Ok, my previous message has been lost in the absurd world of the network.In the end.Summarizing: Mint the ketone bodies when you are above 250 mg/dl of blood glucose.Generally they always give negative, except if you are sick or incubating something, or the situation has been out of control.As TNT says, the conclusion is that you need more insulin and a lot of hydration, because generally when many go apart from the discomfort (it is as if they had beat you) there may be associates vomiting and dehydration.

móntrial's profile photo
móntrial
12/09/2010 12:58 p.m.

Holassss
In 6 years with diabetes I have only looked at the ketone 1 time ... and did not have.

Abbott's glucometer usually carries it to those who carry a bomb ... supposedly because they have more ease to have ketones, if the catheter is clogged and do not realize (for example at night).
Abbott's is the only glucometer that measures blood ketones.

I think that acetone strips in urine are sold in the pharmacy for 2-3 euros

DiabetesForo
12/09/2010 1 p.m.

I am a boy;)

Do not worry much about this issue, the machines in general when a blood glucose value & GT is given; = 300 mg/dl release a notice on the screen to look at the ketone bodies, something like "ket" or "ketones" can come outor similar independently of the machine can measure glucose and blood ketones with different strips or cannot (I speak at least Abbott's machines: Medisense Optium, Opium Xceed, ...).

I have always had the machines of Abbott and all warn (they can or cannot measure more than glucose levels).

If you have never given a blood glucose value & GT; = 300 mg/dl it is impossible for youfixed (assuming that at least your machine even if it does not measure ketones warm).

Do not worry because it is really just a warning, a recommendation "It would be convenient for you& gt; = 300 mg/dl and negative in ketones = nothing must be done (you can reach those glycemia values ​​due to a punctual error) 2) Glycemia & GT; = 300 mg/dl and positive in ketones = more insulin is needed.

If you go to your health center you can ask about the theme of the ketone bodies and if you carry the machine, they may take you out of doubt whether it only measures glucose or if it is able to measure ketone bodies putting other strips.

I already tell you that if you carry a bun control of diabetes or at least acceptable all the tests that are done of ketones will be negative and possibly because of this they are more difficult to get PQ "carries a bun control and you will not need them", if the stripsGlucose are rationing them imagine that these are even more difficult to get.

DiabetesForo
12/09/2010 1:01 p.m.

Kekiya When they put the pump you should give you the opium xceed that measures the ketone bodies in blood, here they give it to all those who carry a pump and give us the strips in the ambulatory, I only use it to measure the ketones.

DiabetesForo
12/09/2010 1:02 p.m.

Here is the crux of the question: I have been with a flu of the copon, and obviously I have very much uncontrolled glucose, with 200-300 figures on many occasions ... and of course, I have never measured this of thisThe ketone bodies, and reading online that many people do it, because I should do the same thing on these occasions and I am not doing it !!!And of course, in case of positive ... what would I have to do?
And if they didn't give it to me in the SS and had to buy them in a pharmacy ... how do I ask that?reactive strips to measure ketosis?But in urine, right?hehehe, go lines that I make myself xD

kekiya's profile photo
kekiya
12/09/2010 1:10 p.m.

I also have the exceeded optium, and effectively measures the ketones, by the way someone knows where I can get the cable to pass the controls to the PC ???????And some other portfolio, because the one they gave me is a little worn, heh, heh

The ketones only mediate them in the hospital when I debuted !!!

DiabetesForo
12/09/2010 1:13 p.m.

To request the cable:

Suggestion, you become no less than 6 controls a day and need the software to improve your control and show it to endo.
They will try to charge you, I suppose ... Tell them what I put on you, to see if it sneaks.

DiabetesForo
12/09/2010 1:16 p.m.

Well, tomorrow I call 900 300 119 to have what they tell me, thanks Owash, the truth is that if I do the 6 controls, I will say that they tell me, and I tell you

DiabetesForo
12/09/2010 1:19 p.m.

Well look TNT, now that you say it, I am looking at my gluchomentor, in the memory, 2 figures that are around 300, and you are right, above, very tiny puts: ketones?But it ends in question, therefore it cannot be confirmed that you have them or not, simplically that it is likely, right?And before a figure of 300, you have to always correct, not to put for example in my case a correction of 3 or 4 units ... ains .... I will ask for the next day in my health center, to seeThey tell me, and if not, I buy it in the pharmacy, total, for 3 or 4 euros, tranquility that gives me ...
And Prado, they have not told me anything about changing my meter when they give me the bomb ... the only one that changed my insulin, from Novorapid to Humalog, but we are going, nothing more, from meter nothing at all, and this one, althoughThis is a little outdated (on the web no longer appears, now its most modern version appears, the 2!) And I do not know, I have affection for this, although it is staying outdated ...

kekiya's profile photo
kekiya
12/09/2010 1:22 p.m.

Hello,

You all talk about measuring the ketone by blood, but I always use strips to measure the ketone in urine :).I guess they are less precise, but the information they give you I consider that it is enough: you have or do not have a lot or little (low, medium, high).I use the simplest, without a recipe or anything you can buy the pharmacy, they are the ones that make the breasts with the small children.But I remember that when I debuted, I used some that valued a lot of things in addition to the ketone, so I suppose there must be more types.

All the best!

olguilla's profile photo
olguilla
12/09/2010 1:43 p.m.

Various things ...

In Asturias for 15 years or more the machines that occur are from Abbott, regardless of whether or not to have an insulin pump (all my machines have been Abbott and I have never had a bomb).

ABBOTT machines warn that the machine can only look at blood glucose.The notice occurs when a value & GT is given; = 300 mg/dl.

The notice is just that, a warning, that question that you say it comes out on your machine (ketones ?It puts the same signal with a question, depending on whether it is day or night or there is little light you must turn off or keep the lights on.It is a decision of you to look or not to look at the ketone bodies, that interrogation does not mean anything else.

If there is a blood glucose value & GT; = 300 mg/dl you have to look at how it has been there because it is not the same to arrive due to a specific error (you spent eating, you confused yourself in the rapid insulin dose, youIt was the clamp and you ate a cake, a little of all of the above) to be in those values ​​all the time.

For a specific value & GT; = 300 mg/dl it is not necessary to look at the ketone bodies and it is not necessary/U> Look if you have ketone bodies and if it is necessary retouchet dose of river insulin.

Today looking at any of the two things (glucose and ketones) in urine (glucosuria and ketonuria) is wasting time:

• Glucose in urine is not any news for a diabetic, it is normal, we have the highest blood glucose values ​​of the normal and therefore our kidneys are going to work on piecework to reduce them through the urine.Measuring our urine glucose levels is having information too late because you have high glucose values ​​in urine then in blood you have tremendous values ​​and act very late.

• The ketone bodies something similar happens: having ketone bodies in urine is having information too late, if you have ketone bodies in blood urine you have a very large mess.
  • I have only looked ketones in two specific moments: one when I debuted, you are decompensated and look at you the subject (in my time there was nothing other than to look at them in urine) and the other has recently been with the change of insulinas, the first twoweeks I was with a bit high values, marking several times values ​​of 300 mg/dl.

If you are excited to look at the ketone bodies ahead but I already tell you that today look at them in urine is to waste time (you get the information too late), to look at it today to look at them in blood (you need a machine that can look at ketones in blood andOf course you throw ketones in blood) that apart from not needing to want to urinate you will give you more information than a simple "positive" or "negative" and it will give you that information when it is useful (when the begins to appearBlood problem not after having passed through the kidneys and ending in the urine).

DiabetesForo
    12/09/2010 1:51 p.m.

Man, it is not a matter of making me illusion or not, it is a question of ignorance, so I ask. I have normally had good figures lately, but because of a cold, because I have timely decompensated a little, with a couple of figuresRanding and/or exceeding the 300 and I have scared a little, and I did not know if it is necessary to take a test of this type or not. In 10 years that I remember right now I have not done any, nor have they spoken to meIn the hospital to do some ever ... the only time they look at me urine is when I do blood analysis, which they also usually ask for urine, but I do not ... but we are going, but we tell me if youIt is not strictly necessary, because I am calmer.;)

kekiya's profile photo
    kekiya
    12/09/2010 2:02 p.m.

tnt :) For indirect allusions I answer you.

When talking on the web, you have to try to read a couple of times before sending it, since you can be offensive;).Come on, if you had told me, "Olguilla, consider that when the ketones reach the urine the problem is very serious, you would have to look for an alternative" , I would have received the information delighted and I would have consulted withMy nurse without offending myself, I am aware that I have a lot to learn, but the passive- aggressive way of exposing your point of view, against what I have said, I have not seemed adequate.

Now, since I have diabetes 20 years ago, I have always measured the cetona by urine by medical prescription and they have never told me that it is not significant or relevant or a waste of time.Moreover, when I went to the bomb, both the endo and the nurse told me to measure the ketone in urine if I had values ​​greater than 200-250. I have been days with very good controls and have a value of 250 and have a value of 250 and haveCetona in urine.

On the other hand, to say that it is not mandatory, because it may not.But it is recommended.When we have Cetona we must follow certain guidelines: up a % of insulin, apart from what it touched by correction (since the ketones make insulin cost more to act), eat CH and not exercise.

I also thank you for the information and I will consult it.Since I don't want to put my health at risk.

All the best,

olguilla's profile photo
    olguilla
    12/09/2010 2:19 p.m.

The urine controls that send you the endocrine in principle I do not think they are to look for ketone bodies in the urine, they are looking for a protein called microalbuminuria to see if the kidneys go as they should.

Microalbuminuria is a marker of an incipient renal disease, although not yet of clinical manifestations, since in all cases the healthy kidney does not excrete proteins.

The two diseases that originate microalbuminuria are more frequently diabetes mellitus and arterial hypertension.

DiabetesForo
    12/09/2010 2:20 p.m.

Olguilla I have not responded with bad intention, I had not read the post where you comment (when I start giving cane I feel much more 8)).

If you have high blood glucose levels (regardless of what a machine says) it is advisable to look at the ketone bodies, which is what I have said.

Another thing is because these high values ​​are reached, if it is for a punctual error, a high point value by error of excessive food or error in insulin dose or similar, that in those cases I do not believe that it is worth wasting the timeWith the ketone bodies (you have arrived there at a timely moment for a punctual error) and another is to have continuously high values ​​for things such as being sick (a febríl state typically) that there is very recommended Look at the ketone bodies (somehow, either in blood or urine) and there if it is necessary touch the doses of upward insulin.

But if you have any value of 300 mg/dl in your glucometer you already know that you have to raise the doses of insulin without having the information of ketone bodies, hence I do not think it is something super important to look at you the ketone bodies.

Regarding either of the two things (glucose, ketones) in blood and/or in urine all the information you have in urine is information that is late or too late to act.If you have ketones in urine in blood you can have a mess of noses with the ketones.

Today there are strips to know both in blood.

Edito: So I understand with pump only one type of insulin is used that is ultra -grape or immediate action, a continuous "drip" of that type of insulin that in the intakes I suppose that this "drip" goes up whatever it takes,con ese tipo de insulina me parece normal que haya que estar mas al tanto con el tema de los cuerpos cetónicos por lo que comenta owash de desconectarse el cateter ya sea por error o por quitarse la bomba un rato por lo que sea (hacer deporte,shower, bathe ...).

Those who carry bombs if they tell you that you should look at them, I am not a doctor and the recommendation I have given is more for people without a bomb.

DiabetesForo
    12/09/2010 2:33 p.m.

Only one point, TNT, in Asturias they give meters from different brands, not just those of Abbot.
    My daughter started with a Medisense (8 years ago) and continued with the One Touch (the normal, the ultra, the ultrasmart ..) and has the optium, which is that of Abbot, since it has bomb, which is the one who measuresBlood ketones.

Kekiya, the difference in measuring in blood to measure in urine is that in blood you measure what you have at the time, while in urine you measure what you had and that you can, or not, continue to have.

We are given the strips of ketones in the health center, but I know that they do not give them to everyone everywhere.

Check it with your endo or your header, to see if they give you the strips.The Gluco give it free to you in Abbot, as long as you consume the strips.

Health

DiabetesForo
    12/09/2010 3:52 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.