Night hypoglycemia could have the days counted

fer's profile photo   05/09/2014 12:22 p.m.

We know that the head of the information may sound very blunt, but according to what is published in the May edition of the prestigious Care Diabetes the hope generated makes some sense.A hope above all for parents of children with type 1 diabetes who could lower their guard before the disturbing nocturnal hypoglycemia of their children.

The fact is that recent technological research that we geographically placed at Stanford University have found a device that consists of a glucose sensor applied under the skin and an insulin pump connected to a wireless computer near the bed.The pump supplies insulin through a catheter inserted under the skin of the person with diabetes.The heart of the system is a specially designed computer algorithm that carefully monitors blood glucose levels, in search of signs of a possible fall.If you detect one, respond when cutting the insulin supply until the levels begin to rise again.It is one of the most advanced artificial pancreas projects of which we have had record in recent months.

"A system like this should drastically reduce the risk of having nocturnal hypoglycemia," said Dr. Bruce Buckingham, a professor of Stanford's pediatric endocrinology, who has directed the essay and is co -author of the study."Patients and parents can have a better sleep night, knowing that there is a much lower risk of serious nocturnal hypoglycemia"

During the day, people with type 1 diabetes generally realize the signals that their body launches when the blood glucose level is low.Consitants of this can reduce insulin supply.However, these signs are perceived much less when people are asleep.Statistics data confirm that 75% of people with type 1 diabetes suffer seizures caused by night hypoglycemia.Night hypoglycemia can also be the cause of 6% of the deaths of people with diabetes that are under 40 years old.

The previous attempts to alert people with type 1 diabetes while they slept included glucose sensors that activated an alarm when the levels were too low.Alarms that obviously interrupted the dream constantly.The fact that the new device is fully automated allows a security arc that guarantees the rest of the person.

This new device to combat night hypoglycemia has been tested by 45 people, aged between 15 and 45, with type 1 diabetes. The researchers monitored each person for 42 nights.On treatment nights, the algorithm looked for signs of blood sugar levels below 80 milligrams per deciliter for 30 minutes.With the application of the control algorithm for 80 percent of the rest time the glycemic levels were correct.In addition, the new method reduces the time spent in low blood glucose levels by 74 percent.

fer's profile photo
fer
05/09/2014 12:22 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Thanks for the information.....
Finally a light at the end of the tunnel ...

nuriavegal's profile photo
nuriavegal
05/09/2014 5:21 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

It will also serve for daytime ...
The artificial pancreas is what we all expect.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
05/09/2014 5:55 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

I do not usually have hypoglycemia nocturas, because I try to "be somewhat high" when I went to bed (precisely for fear of happening to me).But when I have seen the deaths during sleep, I have really been crowded.And yet they are "only" 6% of diabetic deaths under 40 ??? !!!

Now I still have any thing to happen to me at any time, whether directly because of the sugar, either because of the heart or anything.

Anyway, hopefully these pots progress quickly ... in benefits and accessibility.

DanielPD's profile photo
DanielPD
05/09/2014 6:48 p.m.

Diabético y gafapasta.

Daniel, how are you going with the lantus?Have you dropped the dose?

Regina's profile photo
Regina
05/09/2014 7:26 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)

Today I have uploaded the lantus much more.Apparently I have insulin resistance, or something.But it's not the subject (I don't know what was talking about that ...) #:-S

DanielPD's profile photo
DanielPD
05/09/2014 8 p.m.

Diabético y gafapasta.

Well then the bomb will do well, which works with Novorapid or Humalog ..

Regina's profile photo
Regina
05/09/2014 8:06 p.m.

danielpd said:
.... and yet they are "only" 6% of diabetic deaths under 40 ??? !!!

On this statistic, we would have to put % of deaths of children under 40 in total, without taking into account diabetes, I do not think it varies much!

Do not be afraid, but good control, or at least, the best possible !!;-)

fer's profile photo
fer
05/10/2014 6:22 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

@Fer, you who are so put in everything related to this ours roller ...

You have any idea when utensils of this type could be generalized, more advanced if possible, than to always carry hypoglycemia, hypers, and in general the populations associated with our big problem?

To know if there is any forecast, that I tell the days.Somewhere online (although trusting what is said around ...) said that a qualitative leap is expected in the treatment of diabetes for 2017, more or less.But it is very difficult to find useful and truthful information about it, beyond that they double non-Sé-what cells, others cure animals with non-sé-how ... but before ten years nobody says anything.

It is so difficult to believe that the years go by and there is no change to better .....

DanielPD's profile photo
DanielPD
05/10/2014 11:01 a.m.

Diabético y gafapasta.

Patience, that is what touches us, I am very skeptical in terms of new devices, although I do not lose hope at all.

Since I am diabetic, I have seen advances in insulin types, bombs and now, the most recent are continuous meters, which I recommend without a doubt.

Years ago I got an infamy invention, the glycowatch, I did not succeed or by chance, but now it is reliable, although expensive.

That said, patience, unfortunately for us, advances are not measured in days, or in months, but that, rather in years.

Before or after a new advance will come, and one day, a solution, and this is so, because many are the ones who ask and have interest!;)

fer's profile photo
fer
05/10/2014 12:49 p.m.

Fer, did you try the glycowatch ???I asked for information several times and I never had news of them, was it that of the electrodes, right?

Gala's profile photo
Gala
05/10/2014 12:55 p.m.

"Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro"

Yes, I bought it in UK, and carried some sensors that were throwing electric shocks on the skin to read the glucose of sweat or nose to, irritated the skin and did not succeed much, a shame, because it was like wearing a grade clock.

A great fiasco that cost me 1,000 euros, but it was worth trying.

fer's profile photo
fer
05/10/2014 4:04 p.m.

That told me the endocrine, that the electrode was burning and you had to change its place but we will never see him.
They could have continued to investigate for that line, improving the electrodes
A clock would be a joy

Gala's profile photo
Gala
05/10/2014 4:38 p.m.

"Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro"

When I saw that clock in the movie "The Panic Room" I was crazy lost ... I thought it was a science fiction thing.And what happens is that, in effect, it was a science fiction thing ... XD!

It was carried by the girl that later became so famous with the twilight saga, Christen Stewart, who was Diabetic daughter of Jodie Foster ...

DanielPD's profile photo
DanielPD
05/10/2014 5:19 p.m.

Diabético y gafapasta.

As long as there is no 100% reliable continuous meter, an apparatus that detects and controls night hypos will be impossible ...

Velia's profile photo
Velia
05/12/2014 7:29 a.m.

De los buenos tiempos, siempre quiero más...
Mamá de Ángela, ¡16 añitos, fiera!. Debut: octubre de 2003.
Bomba insulina Medtronic Paradigm Veo desde junio 2005
Última hemo 6.1

Hi Fer, very interesting, but ... is that no longer invented and working?

Link (I ask, since this pump is integrated with the Dexcom G4, I understand-the best wrong-that allows corrections automatically and by logic in a hyposhould cut the introduction of insulin, right?)

In any case, and unfortunately for the least wealthy (I include myself), all this translates to one thing: $$$.
I believe, and maybe I am wrong, that the dependent insulin diabetics are a very lucrative and interesting market for pharmaceutical (companies), and they will give us all the advances, even if they have them.And always (and in this I think I do not make a mistake) at a monthly cost, one way or another (pills, sensors, spare parts ...)

greetings

pabloj2000's profile photo
pabloj2000
05/12/2014 11:26 a.m.

PUBLIRREPORTAJES NO¡¡¡

Hello ... interesting the glycowatch (and often Batacazo stuck).
Today, with its differences, I think that Dexcom (I corroborate this for my experience, which does not have to be that of others, 100% reliable is not, but 99% for hypos, in my case, yes ....Mark 150, measure gout and mark 270 ... Rare ... Measure Gota again, 140 ... years ago I would have put an insulin ration against that 270, which being 140-150 would be a beautiful and fathypo "), effectively showed that they were wrong, and said that, I can say that many hypos or hyper long ago, were caused by a decision making by a glucometer and an erroneous measure, so that 100% we have nothing in thisof diabetes, I think, eh?mistake).Also Medtronic with Guardian II seems reliable.

I would no longer ask for great advances, but what is there, it was much more accessible.For example, the Dexcom G4 replaces the Seven Plus, to leave the "old" at much more content prices, for many it would remain 100% functional.The problem I see is that they do not seek to make them accessible, if they do not earn the maximum money (lawful, they are companies, of course).

greetings

pabloj2000's profile photo
pabloj2000
05/12/2014 11:35 a.m.

PUBLIRREPORTAJES NO¡¡¡

I hope it is soon confirmed news, it would be a great advance.
A cordial greeting

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
05/13/2014 2:56 p.m.

Well, they have not been announcing pots that we do not see even in painting, they usually remain in simple prototypes or for people with possible with which the great majority will remain the same .., and it is not to discourage, but it is so.

ajd's profile photo
ajd
05/14/2014 12:49 p.m.

That nobody is fooled: what is missing is political will (in the sense that in budgets of the Ministry of Health what you want).

The Federation should make more noise.It seems that any minority patient association receives more attention.

In the end, four diabetic nerds in a garage will be able to do something better, and if they do not intend to sell it for 500 euros a month they will take the entire market;of which I would be glad.

DanielPD's profile photo
DanielPD
05/14/2014 2:19 p.m.

Diabético y gafapasta.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.