What studies are needed to be a diabetes educator?

tica's profile photo   01/13/2013 12:18 p.m.

Well, what studies is needed to be an educator for diabetics?I believed that the first step was necessary to be nursing, but I think it is not so ... Is there any upper module or a specific "course" for this?It is something that has happened to me many times through my head and above all when I meet inept people who believe they know more about diabets because he says that the measurement of after the food is done at two hours and not at the time and 3 rooms... or when they try to explain the symptoms of hypoglycemia without ever having felt one ... or when they try to seek explanation to each of the glycemia that leave the norm creating, in many cases, frustration of the patient because sometimes, simply, there is no explanation.Or do not understand that we are the first to do the coas well, and if each consultation is an exam, in the end the situation is totally absurd.

tica's profile photo
tica
01/13/2013 12:18 p.m.

Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro
DM1 desde 1988
Mamá de 2 niños y a la espera del tercero
Bomba + Dexcom

May I know, educators in diabetes are "standard" nursing staff;People who place them in the Department of Endocrine as in cardiology or in external consultations. And their preparation is not a regulated education.That is why the specialization of diabetes is a claim of the diabetics collective that Fede and the associations in diabetes have been asking for a long time.
Although the truth, many diabetes educators know less than many of us, right?

HanSolo's profile photo
HanSolo
01/13/2013 12:34 p.m.

ISCI / debut: 1986 / HbA1c: 5,5%

The educator profession in diabetes does not exist.
At least it is not regulated as such.There is no specific curricular design that marks the conditions of access to a hypothetical degree.
As Gondullo says, in the educator post (they are almost always women ... That is why in the survey I put it in female;)), who have more points in the internal transfers of nursing personnel and are interested in the day (usuallyfixed mornings) or do not want to be in plants or other "uncomfortable" services.
Then they are forming, specializing and going to courses, days, etc.
It is almost always like that, they first reach endocrinology and then form ... as the vast majority of ATSDUE.

In the last review/creation of ATS-DUE specialties carried out by the Ministry, it was not considered convenient to create the specialty of Diabetes Educator, I believe that not even chronic patients. List a historical opportunity to adapt to reality.
With the Bologna roll there was an adaptation to the degree;more info:

The desperate attempts of the collective, Feaed: Spanish Federation Educating Associations in Diabetes: http: //www.observatoriodeladiscapidad ... N-Diabetes >
"They died" 2 or 3 years ago.
ENFEDEC: Link He resumed the initiative with the only courses in Spain, more or less regulated.

After the extinction of the Feaed, or perhaps before, "the Fed also died" also the Spanish Diabetes Federation, which grouped endocrine, educators and patients.

These movements, together with an opening and opportunist policy of thirst, promoted that many of the nurses who work in these functions would be associated with thirst.
Some of them can be seen in this link: Link 12 & AMP; IMENU = 4

This group has promoted that at the present time the issuance of a curricular design that delimits functions, access, training, etc. of the specialty is being studied.
And in it they are for a year and peak ... Theoretically they should have published it.

Matizo that ASDUEs, in their vast majority compatible with diabetological education with care tasks: from blood extractions, glycemia curves, spirometry, control weight control etc. until citations and consultation pass/visit next to the endocrine.

I have already said it other times, but I would bet half a boat of reactive strips so that full -time educators there are not even 50 throughout Spain, being generous.

An article that answers much better than me to the tica question: Link ... tes-qu-ten >>>

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
01/13/2013 1:23 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Thank you very much to both of them, I already have the issue at all ... Luckily I had a good education in diabetes as a child and that the years of evolution and the fact of falling again and again in problems that seem to doctorsThey do not exist (or that they believe that the solution is always 1+1 = 2) have made it good control of my diabetes, I would simply like to help someone with this experience ... (and I think more than one ofThis forum is more trained than most educators and endocrine)

I have tried to contact the Zaragoza Diabetes Association and as disappointing as I expected."Fabulous" Courses of nutrition and feet care ... but neither "round tables" where to share experiences of people or support groups of people who start debuting ... I proposed my ideas, but of course "At the moment they are of changes for retirement, new positions ... "that will happen to me and that would be studied for the future ... but first to pay the association's share ...

tica's profile photo
tica
01/13/2013 2:13 p.m.

DM1 desde 1988
Bomba + Dexcom

Tica, I subscribe point by point everything you say.It is a huge to have educators in diabetes soooaaaaaaan efficient .: EVIL:

ROAR's profile photo
ROAR
01/13/2013 8:04 p.m.

I have to admit that my endocrine and the educator I have are very good professionally.The problem is when you cross with some nursingBlanca you can give advice, poor who just debuted).Maybe if diabetes will be taken a bit, I would improve this issue ...

I know that the endocrinology team in the hospital that takes me is not the general norm in Spain ...

tica's profile photo
tica
01/14/2013 2:29 a.m.

DM1 desde 1988
Bomba + Dexcom

I agree totally and if you have educators in diabetes in your hospital ....... because I don't know what that is: Mrgreen:.I still remember when they were going to register in the hospital the next day and I had not yet punctured the insulin I, the anger of the endocrine to the nurses was tremendous ... in short .... That was all my diabetological education.The rations, corrections etc. I learned it on my own and thanks to the Internet.

DiabetesForo
01/14/2013 3:49 a.m.

The truth is that at the beginning the nurses that he tue when he debuted were a charm but when there are already the doctors who have had nothing, I got little in the forum and I learned of many things that I have neverThat said and I have been 7 years now, and the only thing they know how to do is make me broncas without explaining anything so ...
A health

campanilla's profile photo
campanilla
01/14/2013 5:58 a.m.

Hello everyone,

I think this disease, rather than telling it, must be lived, and that is a path of evidence, that no educator or endocrine does or dares to do

In some Latin American forums, the educator and endocrine become a 'sacred cow', you cannot doubt what he has studied.
And curiously people sign up for a forum, to try to find answers and send you again to who creates doubts.

On what Tica comments, on 'Work tables', this forum could be interpreted so, but I think we lack a point to question and see from another perspective what has already been
Known, the 'established', and unquestionable, would it be bad to question what the doctors themselves understand ???

Jorgelui's profile photo
Jorgelui
01/15/2013 5:15 a.m.

I have to admit that my endocrine and the educator I have are very good professionally.

We talked about educators in diabetes, bone, nurses.

What I have worse is that, whatever happens, do whatever, the fault sieeeeempre is going to be mine and the anger does not take it away from me or God.: Twisted: sometimes I think that the things surrounding diabetes are worse than diabetes itself ...

ROAR's profile photo
ROAR
01/15/2013 5:58 p.m.

What is clear that the theoret
But when it is a matter of practice, it is, go up or leave, so simple, if I tell you, what if it goes down?They answer ... Ah, you do nothing and you eat Aquiello
But they have no idea how bad it happens in a hip because they don't really have the problem, and they see everything easy, at least my endocrine

aurora2's profile photo
aurora2
01/16/2013 8:16 a.m.

In Germany if there is a specific training for these two -year -old professionals.While these must first have a nursing degree (here is not a university career), medical assistant, podiatrist, nutritionist ...

DiabetesForo
01/16/2013 8:22 a.m.

I have to recognize that my endocrine and the educator I have are very good professionally.

We talked about educators in diabetes, bone, nurses.

This is the problem, in my view.One of the many problems of diabetes attention, I mean.

The endocrine, first have to be educators and then clinical.
First, diabetes should be aware, it is a chronic disease that each person is controlled and that they (the endos) are not the fundamental part, they are secondary actors, which must help the main actor, which is the patient.
Educating is adapting to each patient, not giving the same broth to all.

I mean that the work of educating not only corresponds to nurses ... also to the entire team that serves a patient with diabetes: ophthalmologist, nephrologist, cardiologist, psychologist, podiatrist ... Everyone should first be educators and then theirSpecialty ... Everyone must educate.
In the worlds of Yupi, of course, because the reality, unfortunately, does not go like that.

Sometimes, I have told this anecdote that you can corroborate or refute.
With the endocrine I have always spoken with a table involved;That is, I feel on one side of the table and the endo on the other side, in front.
With the educator, I have almost always sat on the same side of the table, there is no barrier in between.

It is a bullshit, which does not have to go beyond the anecdote (I'm lucky to get along with my endos and always be available for my nonsense).
But I know that in most patients there are more barriers with the endocrine than with the educator nurse.

DiabetesForo
01/16/2013 11:08 a.m.

I agree on what you say Owash, I corroborate it.

In my experience with two different endocrineto both day problems, that about diabetes ...): D

I also agree with Roar, there are things that surround diabetes, which are more annoying than the disease itself.

Greetings to the forum!

olmo's profile photo
olmo
01/16/2013 3:39 p.m.

If in Germany (and perhaps also in other countries) there is a specific training to be an educator in DM, maybe one day they are unified throughout Europe (as they have done with the degrees ) and ask for a masterOr something similar to be an educator in DM ... Does anyone know if in Spain there is a similar master or some type of postgraduate degree on this subject?

ROAR's profile photo
ROAR
01/23/2013 5:22 p.m.

To all those who think about educators in Dibetes, I live in Bruxelles and I have never had problems with their explanations or advice, because, in reality, they learn from me !!Since I came after having 15an dbtes, when life already tends me, "to blows" !!!But if I can say that they are all great friends mine and some "a little difficult", soon "I work their moral" and calm with me, heh, heh, heh: D

ani's profile photo
ani
05/24/2016 9:42 p.m.

Well, I have dealt with several endocrine and educators and all behind the table.
My current endocrine is very competent and human, in fact it provided me with its labor email to make any consultation whenever I need.

What surprises me most is that my current header nurse is fish with diabetes while the one in my city of origin knew a lot and worried a lot about my data and pointed everything to help me, even once my mother was thereThey called me on the phone to ask me.
I understand that they cannot devote themselves to each person, there is no time, but it is appreciated.

Like all professional careers in this country, you learn when you leave the world of work, and diabetological nurses were not going to be less;The pity is that training seminars do not teach them before starting to deal with patients.They learn from us.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
05/25/2016 9:42 a.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

None.

At least that is the feeling that speaks to them.

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
05/25/2016 9:46 a.m.

En 1922 descubrieron la insulina, en 1930 la insulina lenta. ¿Que c*** han hecho desde entonces?

Of the headers I do not expect anything of them, they are for recipes and nothing else.

Artorias's profile photo
Artorias
05/25/2016 10:18 a.m.

I am with you.I no longer speak for my few knowledge that I still have about diabetes, I read everything that falls in my hands, I speak for my daughter, who with 14 years and with a year with diabetes, already knows more than his educator.When come on, mom for us to come? ... my answer .... I don't know honey ....

RocioLlinares's profile photo
RocioLlinares
05/25/2016 10:18 a.m.

Mamá de María. 15 años. Diagnósticada 05/06/2015
Humalog
Tresiba
@RocioLlinares
Última hemo 6,1

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.