Another to the type I club

xavi104's profile photo   02/21/2010 5:31 p.m.

Good to all,

On February 2, I debuted with type I diabetes. I am 34 years old (weight 85 kg and I measure 1.85) and had been losing weight for several weeks, with a lot of thirst and constant desire to urinate.Because I had a quite stressful life (I am an entrepreneur) I did not give it greater importance, I packed it on to that.I was traveling for Beijing when I called my brother -in -law, who is a doctor, half an hour before taking the flight.I asked him about something for possible diarrhea to take me to China and on the way I told him my symptoms.What was my surprise when he replied telling me: Those are symptoms of a diabetic debut !!!Get a sugar test as soon as possible!I tried to take the test at the same airport and I couldn't, I bought a little machine at the transfer in London and took the London - Beijing flight with the concern of not knowing anything yet.When I arrived in China, and after a couple of meetings, already at the quiet hotel he gave me my first blood glucose (the first of many !!!).It was before dinner and had 18.5 mmol/l (333 mg/dl).I waited for fasting and did another blood glucose: 12 mmol/l (216 mg/dl).So, after talking to my brother -in -law, I knew I had two options: go to a hospital in Beijing or turn to the first flight and try to control myself eating the minimum and drinking a lot of liquid.I decided to become and after 20 h of the trip I arrived at the Infanta Elena de Huelva hospital to enter with 360 mg/dl.
Now I am with basal insulin (28 units after dinner) and with fast insulin in case I needed me for meals (novorapid).In recent days I have not had to put the fast and I have quite controlled levels.I am getting up with levels between 70 and 100 and I am reaching dinner with about 110.At 2h to eat I usually have between 110 and 130.
I think I'm happening what they call "honeymoon."
Well, I wait for your comments.
Greetings and thanks to all, for me it has been a relief to be able to find this forum and be able to share with you my experiences.

xavi104's profile photo
xavi104
02/21/2010 5:31 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Welcome to the club, Xavi !!! ... As you will see we are a few travel companions, and I assure you that this becomes more bearable if accompanied ... well, often debut !!!!I think about it and put my hair on end, exactly the same as when I think in a few weeks before my daughter debuted.A friend invited Algeciras, where he lived ... We spent a week touring wild beaches, which we agreed after walking for several km ... Angela already had symptoms of fatigue, especially ... there were many moments of "Coje me "" I am tired ", that we blamed a little to the climate and the holidays ... now, from a distance, I think about it and give me thinking what would have happened if it gives it any" coma "so far, sohidden .... in short, the important thing, as my husband says, is to think about the debut as the day you start to heal ...
Well, here you have us, any questions, ask, delighted to help you.
Greetings

Velia's profile photo
Velia
02/21/2010 5:49 p.m.

De los buenos tiempos, siempre quiero más...
Mamá de Ángela, ¡16 añitos, fiera!. Debut: octubre de 2003.
Bomba insulina Medtronic Paradigm Veo desde junio 2005
Última hemo 6.1

Hi Xavi:
welcome!!!!Here you can ask your doubts and everything you want, that we will understand you: D ...

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
02/22/2010 5 a.m.

Hi how are things.I just read your message and have reminded me of my experience.My TB partner debuted with 33 years in the most unforeseen way, I suppose that after spending a few weeks of stress, which apparently influences it.I hope you carry it as well as possible and have a lot of encouragement and above all that you are calm.All the best.

tenesper's profile photo
tenesper
02/22/2010 6:26 a.m.

Hi Xaxi:

Much encouragement and pass often for the forum is very useful and there are very kind people with the desire to help.I have been here for only a couple of months and it has helped me a lot, and that I have been diabetic for 20 years.

All the best.

lola's profile photo
lola
02/22/2010 6:59 a.m.

You have a welcome to the forum !!!

Greetings

Velia's profile photo
Velia
02/22/2010 7:34 a.m.

Última hemo 6.1

Hi Xavi, welcome to the club.I cannot help you much because I am a novatilla on this issue, I debuted in December, but what I could tell you, is that at first this seemed like a world and that it was the greatest misfortune that could happen to me, but now I take itVery good and I have realized that it is not so much, there are many worse things, I make a life of the most normal, (healthier).
The only advice I can give you is that you visit this forum, personally it has helped me a lot.A kiss and encouragement.

Julia's profile photo
Julia
02/22/2010 8:29 a.m.

Hi Xavi, Uff, go move!The truth is that I have 38, but I debuted at 15, so, what can I tell you ..., it's different.He has caught you as an adult, which is great, because you are more aware of complications.You can see an intelligent boy, so I think what you say about Luna Honey is very likely ... But, I would ask for much more information, and try to put on a bomb in a few years, over time you will appreciate it.: Welcome

paula's profile photo
paula
02/22/2010 8:37 a.m.

Good Xavi, welcome to the forum and a more world ... sweet: D
And after the scare ... to take care of yourself ...
As you have already told you, there are people patient, expert and eager to help.

We read !!!

sweety's profile photo
sweety
02/22/2010 9:42 a.m.

Hi Xavi,
Welcome to the forum and the "sweet" club.What about yours, I suppose that after scare and the initial uncertainty you will be quieter.Now it's time to take care and learn, that this is being learned constantly.
Greetings.

DiabetesForo
02/22/2010 12:24 p.m.

Welcome, Xavi and Tenesper

DiabetesForo
02/22/2010 1:13 p.m.

Thank you all for your answers.
I know where I have to raise my doubts.

I am trying to regulate my nightlife dose well.When do you notice dose changes?the next day?Are you changing the dose at the rate of 1 daily?What level do you usually get to dinner?What level do you wake up?

Thanks in advance.

all the best

xavi104's profile photo
xavi104
02/22/2010 4:07 p.m.

Ufff!What a mogollón of questions!Well let's see, I usually get up between 130 and 180 (a little high for my taste) and as I carry little with the pump I usually climb a unit per week (more or less, I am still adjusting the dose) so I see if I am adjustingWell the basal and the bolus, it also depends on how brave you are (whether or not you are afraid of hypoglycemia), it also greatly influences what you eat (a few few carbohydrates for example), if you take a walk, if you are worried...etc, see you obtaining you and at first try to eat more or less the same (then you will do experiments) you have a little time and that costs a little.I hope I have helped you:-/ Greetings

paula's profile photo
paula
02/22/2010 4:20 p.m.

Xavi, welcome to the club ...;)
As you can see we are many here ... and for what you need.
I was about 3 years ago with Levemir/Novorapid and I was doing very well, if you make changes in the dose, it is normal to wait at least 2-3 to see the effects, and better of 1 in 1 you.Your values ​​are very good both and the posts.
I hope the "honeymoon" will last ... it is easier to control, at least in my case.
By the way we are of the same age ... although I am on my way to 15 years with my "friend."
Greetings !!

anuski's profile photo
anuski
02/22/2010 4:50 p.m.

Thanks Paula and Anuski for your answers, they are very helpful for me.

xavi104's profile photo
xavi104
02/22/2010 4:55 p.m.

In 2 or 3 days you can see the behavior of the change .... the raising or lower basal depends, if you see that you need a "big change" you can even do it 2 in 2 units, but as you are starting and you still haveMuch than to observe from you and the effects of insulin, perhaps better not risk and change 1 in 1 unit.
The "ideal" is dawn with figures that are around 100 (80-120), have the pre of the meals ("preprandial", control before food) around 100 and the "pos" (postprandial, 2 hours laterof eating) less than 160 .... All this as I say is the "complicated" and "entertaining" of this disease.Trying to adjust the figures to the "ideal", but it can be achieved, more or less;) .... If your pre they can indicate that you lack basal insulin (lantus/less), if they are very low, the opposite.... If you are high, you can indicate that you miss fast units and against whether they are very low it can be otherwise .... In addition to insulin, many more factors, type of food influence, your index, your indexGlutemic, fats or proteins that accompany HC, S, exercise, stress, mood, intercurrent diseases, etc. ... But it is basically a matter of time and observe the insulin-diet-ejercio and exercise setHow your body is reacting to it.
It will help you in the first months to have a librettite, software, etc., in which you write down your controls, your intakes and the impluine units that you manage.
In any case your doctor is your best ally (in most cases).

Greetings.

Velia's profile photo
Velia
02/23/2010 4:36 a.m.

Última hemo 6.1

Thanks Velia.Do you make measures 1h hour after meals?How much is the maximum that glycemia should normally raise before stabilizing at 2 or 3h?

all the best,

xavi104's profile photo
xavi104
02/24/2010 2:39 p.m.

I do not eat it after eating it, except if I feel rare, but I should not exceed 180 ... although if at 2-3 hours you are fine either do you give it greater importance if you have a little higher values, your endoHave you sent you that control?

anuski's profile photo
anuski
02/24/2010 3:56 p.m.

Thanks Anuski, my endo has not told me, but now at first I would like to know very well the response of my body to the different meals and have data.I am not putting fast insulin for the bowling because it seems that I am on the honeymoon and the levels, at 2:00 a.m. from the meals, they are always below 140. But I would like to know if someone is doing controlsTo look for the peaks and know if this is harmful or not. There are days that between 1h and 1.5h after meals I have values ​​of 220.
Thank you

xavi104's profile photo
xavi104
02/25/2010 2:37 p.m.

In my opinion you should not make a self -analysis up to 2 or 2 and a half hours after eating, unless you have hypoglycemia symptoms, go to exercise or drive.
If you get ultrarapid insulin in meals its hard effect between 2 and 3 hours, although from 2 hours its effect is much less "strong."
If you do the control when eating or of having punctured you, the information you will have will be incomplete because you will still have enough insulin to take effect.

Levemir lasts about 12 hours, more or less, as you increase the doses you increase their duration slightly.
To see if you need to go up or down:
- See repeated trends for a certain time (at least 4-5 days).Do not have to change doses every day.
- Existence of hypoglycemia among the main meals.
- Check what glycemia value you reach the next morning/night dose or if you only have 1 dose

The changes, always of 1 unit in 1 unit, with caution and much more recently debuted.

DiabetesForo
02/25/2010 4:08 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.