{'en': 'Heat, enemy of insulin :-(', 'es': 'Calor, enemiga de la Insulina :-('} Image

Heat, enemy of insulin :-(

Quim's profile photo   08/12/2010 9:40 a.m.

Hello colleagues!:-)

As I do little that I premiere in this club, many doubts arise in my daily life.

I would like to ask you a question that distress me a little.

I look at Türkiye for 15 days and what gives me the most is that with the heats the insulin is spoiled.

The hottest climate in the country is like a Córdoba in August (it is not very exaggerated either).

The doctor tells me that it does not even need to carry insulin in refrigerators since it is very stable and nothing happens if it reaches 38 degrees ambient temperature, that I use my common sense and that for example does not put it in the direct sun and thatTake it at the bottom of the excursion backpack.

Have you ever spoiled insulin?

How do you see when insulin is wrong?

Is something happens if I am mistaken in poor condition?

I await your comments with excitement and be able to make the holidays even what I sure happened.
I tell you the return and again thank you very much for all the help you make to me.

HUGS!

Quim's profile photo
Quim
08/12/2010 9:40 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

In my opinion your endo has not oriented you well.

Insulin at more than 30 degrees is at risk of spoiling:

I hit the Levemir prospect:
6.4 Special precautions for conservation

Keep in fridge (between 2 ° C and 8 ° C) and not save near the freezer.Do not freeze.

Keep the cartridge in the outer packaging to protect the insulin from light.

During use: do not refrigerate.Do not keep at a temperature exceeding 30 ° C.

Levemir should protect excessive heat and sunlight.

For me the best thing to conserve insulin is this:

Simply immersing it in water perfectly retains insulin, without the need of anything else.

Insulin has to be transparent, any rare color or thing that we see makes it suspect that it has problems.
A poorly preserved insulin will not make its effect and therefore you will be with high glycemias (danger of ketosis)

Read these 2 websites with tips to travel:

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
08/12/2010 1:07 p.m.

Thank you very much for all the clarifications and information you tell me.

Well yes.I buy one of these insulin bags, they seem very cool and comfortable.

And called to the information phone where they sell the bags and looks like a serious place, it is a distributor in Spain of this product that is in Madrid.
A very friendly woman has attended me to clarify doubts what I had.
By the way I have complained that it was very expensive hahaha is that with shipping and VAT costs are € 40.He has told me that being a very new thing and comes from Britain, it will be expensive but that she hopes that her price will lower and are fighting for it since it is essential.

If anyone has any, it would be interesting to comment on their experience.When I have it, I will do.
I tell you .... we form :-).

Quim's profile photo
Quim
08/13/2010 6:43 a.m.

My daughter has it and goes very well
It is true that it is expensive, but I do not remember in what thread of the forum a forerasa told us that she had directly asked England and it was much cheaper.He put the address and everything.If you search, you will surely give it.

Health

DiabetesForo
08/13/2010 7:34 a.m.

We also use the fridge, of course in summer we do not play it and it goes very well, it lasts a lot of days in cold.
Alea, I think it was in the thread of bombs where they commented on the refrigerators.
A kiss and good trip, Quim.

DiabetesForo
08/13/2010 10:10 a.m.

Quim, welcome to the forum!
I bought cold sachet to put insulin and glucagon directly to England
The link passes you

Greetings

anabeg's profile photo
anabeg
08/14/2010 5:02 a.m.

Hello
Well, it affects a lot.I spoiled on an excursion to an Alicante park with about 32 ° all day.The remedy is to always take a case with cold accumulators: www.goinsulina.com, this is specially developed for active diabetics who travel through the day or by plane, or go on excursions or spend the day away from home.You can buy more accumulators if they break down.You have to take very care, I got up to 450 and I was fataaal, greetings and luck, Valerie de Gandia

vtimmermans's profile photo
vtimmermans
08/17/2010 5:31 a.m.

Hey, then it is more nice.Something like that was looking for day to day is perfect.I ask me.

The thing is that for what I read holds a few hours and the cold case of only insulin endures more time even told me that it endures in normal conditions even 2 weeks.

For the plane theme I don't think you have problems.I made my endocrine to fill me with a report with the sealed and signed treatment where it indicates everything I have to carry.

Thanks for all the help.

Quim's profile photo
Quim
08/17/2010 8:28 a.m.

Well, I do not know something that endures Ams of a day if you do not put it in a fridge or freezer.I spend the Goinsulina every day since I work at an hour from home and minimum are 2 hours of cohe and in summer to more than 35º, I take it for excursions, visits to parks, business or pleasure trips, plane, train, ... well I always carry it since a TB compartment for glucacon plans ... In case.The truth is that my diabetes is very unstable ... Goinsulina costs about 30 Eur+ Portes (I think you pay about 38 EUR) ... Good luck and happy vacations, Valerie

vtimmermans's profile photo
vtimmermans
08/17/2010 10:38 a.m.

It is quite likely that in "the Chinese" from everything to 1 euro, they sell similar wallets and "cold accumulators" that is nothing more than 2 plastic deposits that are filled with water and get into the freezer .......:-/

DiabetesForo
08/17/2010 12:40 p.m.

Well, I already have a cold sachet and as I said I will comment on it.
I recognize that when I took it in my hands for the first time with great enthusiasm, the first thing I thought ...hahaha but I gave him a chance.
The product itself contains two bags one inside the other which the inside you have to immerse it in water so that some `` pebbles '' absorb the liquid.The truth is that a bad thing was very funny.
This water is supposed to evaporate and maintains fresh insulin and does not let high temperatures reach.Thus it endures a lot of time depending on environmental dryness (Max. 2 weeks minimum 3 days).
The truth is that I will test her with the heats of Turquia.I hope I don't fail, I'm a little nervous ......
Thank you very much for your valuable help.
Hugs.

Quim's profile photo
Quim
08/20/2010 9:11 a.m.

But ... now a doubt arises.
To me my endo told me that the insulin bolis that I use at the time to prick it is not necessary to be always in the fridge.Except those that I do not use that they are in your little box in the fridge.I have gone on a trip, I have spent about 12 hours in the car, and insulin (my entire cargo for the trip 2 months out there) has gone in bags for frozen with ice.And that I know the insulin has not spoiled.Of course, when I get somewhere with a fridge, I have put it all inside.I do not know if the type of insulin has something to do with the theme of the cold, I use the Lantus and the novorapid.
And on the plane never (for the moment) I have had problems with insulin.Even uploading a booth to cabin .. I requisitioned a boat of oil for muscle massage and insulin and another perfume boat rose to cabin ...
Before when I used the insulin that came in the blisters (with all the royo of the syringes) it did have a case-nevera.You had to put a block in the freezer and once you go out of the house you put it in the case with the insulin.Anyway I will look at the stuchitos of the links you have put.
Quim good trip !!!!

Nita_Wave's profile photo
Nita_Wave
08/20/2010 9:22 a.m.

Preparing the suitcase to leave again again another doubt PUF .... forgive that it is heavy with such a question .... is being a rookie.
Does the glucagon also need to be cold? Will it endure in that cold bag?
Thank you very much for all the patience and clarify so many doubts.
Hugs.

Quim's profile photo
Quim
08/24/2010 7:01 p.m.

Yes, in the cold bag it will endure you very well.To have it more time, better keep it in the fridge (not so much for the cold but for temperature stability).

DiabetesForo
08/26/2010 11:18 a.m.

Hello, for insulin, the best option, provided it is not a very humid extreme climate is the cold portfolio, anyway here that and other options:

Xavier's profile photo
Xavier
11/28/2013 9:57 a.m.

_Hola to everyone !!!I tell you my experience: I thought about buying a cold portfolio, but when registering my son's second meter I noticed that Bayer offered us a series of free products and among them a cold portfolio in which they fit either the glucagon or twoInsulin feathers.It seemed super useful since the insulin we use is at room temperature and to carry a reserve is supervalid and then when reaching the destination to the fridge and the issue is over.The glucagon endures well at room temperature so that it is very extreme (hopefully never use it, but you have to take it).So if you have Bayer Mirad meters on your website what it provides.
All the best

Enma's profile photo
Enma
11/29/2013 7 a.m.

Diabética tipo 3
Mamá de Iago (14 años)
Lantus 25 uds
Apidra a demanda
Freestyle libre
@enma

Good afternoon everyone, I am new in this, I have gestational diabetes and well I have read a lot this last week, I have to thank you for the opinions of how to buy the cold brand case.Since I was worried about the perfect conservation of insulin since I will have my baby at the end of August.I have requested it and without problems and as Decis comes out better than if you commission it here.So great thank you very really for your opinions.

nhg's profile photo
nhg
02/05/2014 11:57 a.m.

Does anyone have suggestions of sites to buy good, beautiful and cheap, in addition to online, a cold portfolio?

fer's profile photo
fer
05/31/2015 6 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

The glucagon endures up to 18 months outside the fridge, read the prospect.
Regarding the insulins that are in use to me, I have never been entrenched by heat, I do not carry them in a fridge or cold portfolio and I have been in Egypt in the middle of August and in Athens in the middle of the heat wave with 42 ° from the9:00 From the mñna that if I try not to give them the sun directly or leave them in the car and just like the meter, it is reheated and it takes a good little time to return to life.
Those that are always released in the refrigerator, if I travel for a few days that I have been transporting them in a Neverita with a block of those that freeze wrapped in a cloth so that it is not in direct contact with the insulin, because by coldIf they have spoiled me and the meter also works badly in extreme situations and as I reached the destination to the refrigerator.

Gala's profile photo
Gala
05/31/2015 7:14 p.m.

"Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro"

Last year we put a homemade cold portfolio ....
I put the link
Link
In the Valencia Diabetes Association (AVD) we have already made three talks and demonstrations of how to do it taking the sewing machine and everything.
If you are little hands is a good option for a price of two Eurillos

ernesto's profile photo
ernesto
06/02/2015 10:03 p.m.

DM1 Lada debut 22/12/2013 con 55 años

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.